• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Wow what a poison pill offer sheet.

I'm sure Bettman will tell Snider to stay away from CBA negotiations :lol

At least NHL-GAF is alive again !

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dat contract structure

This type of garbage HAS to stop in the next CBA.

Also, does anybody else find this incredibly hypocritical that the owners are complaining about contracts and then Philly does this?

Wow what a poison pill offer sheet.

I'm sure Bettman will tell Snider to stay away from CBA negotiations :lol

At least NHL-GAF is alive again !

Snider can tell Bettman to eat a dick. Seriously. He's the longest tenured owner in the league and is more involved with league business than the vast majority. If Snider wanted Bettman out in any year that WASN'T a CBA year I can promise you that the other owners would seriously consider it. He's easily one of the most influential owners in the league.

Also, does anybody else find this incredibly hypocritical that the owners are complaining about contracts and then Philly does this?

Not all of them are complaining. Just the ones that can't run profitable franchises.

Have you ever heard Ed Snider complain about hockey contracts? I cant think of one single time.

Solo

Might as well not even have a cap with that nonsense. I'm on the owners' side for CBA negotiations. 5 year max deals and cap hit = what the player is paid. Get it done.

Alucard

Banned
Contract structure is fuuuuucked. What the hell? The NHL can't allow this kind of stuff in the future. And they need to put a cap on how long a guy can sign for. I think a 6-7 year max is fair.

Might as well not even have a cap with that nonsense. I'm on the owners' side for CBA negotiations. 5 year max deals and cap hit = what the player is paid. Get it done.

I don't think you necessarily need to limit the term, just make the caphit = actual salary.

So if you're going to pay Weber $14M one season, that's a $14M caphit, good luck fitting that in there.

That or put a limit on signing bonus (or get rid of them but can't see NHLPA agreeing to that).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He could, but he won't, because fuck Bettman.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Bettman do this. Bettman is a protege of David Stern and Nashville is one of his expansion franchises.

I'd actually put the odds at 50-50 he'd do this.

Plinko

4 first rounders sounds pretty sexy, though. Nashville would be pretty exciting in 5-6 years.

Except 1st-rounders in the NHL are a crapshoot.

This contract circumvention is the absolute worst thing about the league right now. They HAVE to change it.

Sharing my lack of MSPaint skills with NHL-Gaf:

2QrOj.png

I'm fairly confident Nashville is going to match though. I'll just take comfort in the fact that he'll never play in the Atlantic Division.

I really hope they dont match. Hearing what their GM said today gives me some hope. He went from we will absolutely match any offer, to we have to look at it and see.

Marvie_3

Banned

Only if you ignore the fact that CBA negotiations are going on right now.

Another thing working against the Preds signing him is the have to pay him $14m right away. What if there is no season next year and then they have to pay him another $12m in July. They would have to pay him $26m even if there is no hockey. That has to be tough for them.

4 first rounders sounds pretty sexy, though. Nashville would be pretty exciting in 5-6 years.

But if Philly keeps making the second round then they're basically second round picks.

I can see why the Flyers wanted Weber (especially with Pronger out), but have to admit I'm surprised just based on what we saw the team do with getting rid of big contracts. Hell, I'm slightly surprised Weber took the deal knowing that.

Realistically though the smart move for Weber really was to take the deal. The Preds already showed they would lowball in last year's offer, and his agent knows that a new CBA is probably going to put in all sorts of new limits on contract terms. This was Weber's change to cash in big before the rules change (and basically get the same deal that he just saw Suter get.)

Totally agree that this makes a mockery of some of the NHL's CBA demands though.

CREMSteve

Is there anyway the Preds can work out a trade with the Flyers before the deadline to match or not match happens?

Nope, he's already signed with the Flyers. Can't trade what is no longer yours. Nashville can either match and eat that ridiculous contract, or let him walk and take the 4 first round picks and save themselves 26 million bucks over the next year in the process.

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.

Another thing working against the Preds signing him is the have to pay him $14m right away. What if there is no season next year and then they have to pay him another $12m in July. They would have to pay him $26m even if there is no hockey. That has to be tough for them.

That's really the ONLY issue for them. I still don't think paying Weber will put them significantly past where they intended to be in terms of expenditures though. If they JUST go to the floor Weber will essentially put hem 7m over the floor which is below where they normally are. Factor in that the money they over in July can be recouped the next year. They also know they can expect higher profits in the next few years after the CBA is done.

Nope, he's already signed with the Flyers. Can't trade what is no longer yours. Nashville can either match and eat that ridiculous contract, or let him walk and take the 4 first round picks and save themselves 26 million bucks over the next year in the process.

They can make a minor trade agreeing not to match.

iLLmAtlc

Can't Bettman veto this like kovalchuk and do a David Stern for hockey reasons?

Ugh I sure hope not. That veto was one of the greasiest moves I've seen in a while. Stern just arbitrarily came in and decided this deal would "upset league balance" when most likely he did it so it wouldn't make it harder for him to sell the team.

Cactus

Banned
I still think Poile matches. He'll probably need approval from ownership first, though. Odds are that Weber will be more valuable over the next decade than a few late first round picks.

Also, I agree with everyone else who can't wait to see these cap circumventing contracts gone. Yuck.

Thanks. I hope and think they let him walk. What a huge gamble it would be for them to match. Flyers can afford $26m during a lockout, I dont see how the Preds could. I still am in a state of shock that this happened. I have been saying this was the very thing I wanted Homer to do this offseason.

Ok, I'm NEVER happy about what this team does. I just want to take this moment to try and be Tabris.

2012-13
Hart: Giroux
Norris: Weber (On Flyers....)
Selke: Couturier (In a HUGE upset)
Vezina: Bryzgalov
Conn Smythe: Briere
Stanley Cup: Philadelphia Flyers

GREATEST TEAM IN THE LAST SIXTY YEARS!

/Tabris

Ok, yeah I'm not serious..... but it would be so awesome!!!!!!!

I know you're not serious but I think Michael Leighton has a better chance.

Bryz is a much better goalie then Leighton, plus the Flyers D will be improved this year especially if the get Weber. I dont think Bryz will win any awards but I wouldnt be surprised if he has a bounce back year.

Cactus

Banned
Bryz is a much better goalie then Leighton, plus the Flyers D will be improved this year especially if the get Weber. I dont think Bryz will win any awards but I wouldnt be surprised if he has a bounce back year.

How is losing Carle and adding Schenn an improvement? If you look primarily at advanced statistics, Schenn was worse defensively than Komisarek last season.

How is losing Carle and adding Schenn an improvement? If you look primarily at advanced statistics, Schenn was worse defensively than Komisarek last season.

Scheen is more physical and I think that will work better in the Flyers system, plus the Flyers D was really beat up last year.

@darrendreger

won't spent much time scouring for weber trade details, but i've heard preds wanted couturier, schenn and something else from flyers. Ouch.

Cactus

Banned
Scheen is more physical and I think that will work better in the Flyers system, plus the Flyers D was really beat up last year.

Don't the Flyers play a wide-open offensive style? If their system is anything remotely similar to Wilson's system in Toronto, Schenn will struggle. He's not fast or mobile enough to keep up.

Put him on Phoenix or Nashville, though, and he would probably be very effective.

Plinko

So wait--where are people getting that this would cost Nashville $26 million in the first two years? With what Dreger posted, it would only be $15 million, wouldn't it? 1 M salary and a $13 million signing bonus over 2 years would be $15 million, right?

Marvie_3

Banned
Craig Leipold. Complains about huge contracts, team signs Parise and Suter to huge contracts.

For the 1000th time. CBA negotiations. All owners are going to say contracts are too high because they're trying to negotiate for lower contracts. Is it hypocritical? Of course, but you'd have to be fucking stupid to think owners aren't going to complain about player salaries being too high.

So wait--where are people getting that this would cost Nashville $26 million in the first two years? With what Dreger posted, it would only be $15 million, wouldn't it? 1 M salary and a $13 million signing bonus over 2 years would be $15 million, right?

No the 2nd year signing bonus must be paid July 1st 2013, the Preds cannot trade Weber until 365 days after matching which would be after July 1st 2013. They would have to pay both bonuses.

Top Bottom