• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Poile's statement:

"We are in receipt of the offer sheet signed between the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber. Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, the Predators have one week to decide whether to match or accept the compensation. We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea. Our ownership has provided us with the necessary resources to build a Stanley Cup-winning team. Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term.

Translation: Fuck Paul Holmgren. Our owners said we can open the bank for Weber but when they saw that first year salary, they flipped their fucking shit. Excuse me while I take a few days to go sob loudly in my corner.

lol, nice deal here:

Make a purchase at the Sabres store now until next Friday to have the name plate changed on your number nine jersey to "Ott" for free!

305a1eaad1c011e1aeda22000a1d0343_7.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Translation: Fuck Paul Holmgren. Our owners said we can open the bank for Weber but when they saw that first year salary, they flipped their fucking shit. Excuse me while I take a few days to go sob loudly in my corner.
This was awesome, thank you for translating.

They're gonna match.
Your reverse jinxing is adorable.

Everyone: Hmm, that's a spade.
Bruce: Not so fast, guys. I think it's something that would disappoint me.

Your reverse jinxing is adorable.

Everyone: Hmm, that's a spade.
Bruce: Not so fast, guys. I think it's something that would disappoint me.

Nope. They're ACTUALLY going to match. They had a clear intent to spend at least 14m a year on Weber and Suter this year. Likely a little bit more with signing bonuses. They can't be opposed to the cap hit because it is only slightly above what they've already signed him at.

Overall this isn't a a large enough increase to their anticipated operating budget. They spend a bit above the floor every year as is. If they take this deal they're gonna spend about 12m over if they're contracts just hit the floor. That's not THAT much worse than normal and then the year after that they only have to pay 1m in salary cuz the bonus is paid out.

I'm sure ownership is already looking for financing for this. They can likely pay Suter on credit for that short turnover between the summer and the next season.

apparently weber visited NY, liked everything about it - except the prospect of living in manhattan

Congratulations Philly, your small town farm life is what got you Weber...

Cagey

Banned
Really? Cuz Philly suburbs aren't that different than a lot of parts of NJ or NY suburbs...

Philly suburbs, for the most part, are the NJ suburbs, just like NY.

Cherry Hill, Moorestown, etc. are to Philly as Morristown, Livingston, Short Hills, etc. are to NY.

Weird statement indeed. Most of the NY Giants live in northern NJ because the facility's there. Not like he couldn't live in Hoboken, NJ or White Plains, NY or something.

he apparently visited Philly as well and flyers brass rented out an entire floor of a restaurant for the occasion.

The Snider/Holmgren combo has to be an intimidating monster to face....

Philly suburbs, for the most part, are the NJ suburbs.

Cherry Hill, Moorestown, etc. are to Philly as Morristown, Livingston, Short Hills, etc. are to NY.

Weird statement indeed. Most of the NY Giants live in northern NJ because the facility's there. Not like he couldn't live in Hoboken, NJ or White Plains, NY or something.

The NJ suburbs outside Philly can be significantly different than North Jersey though.... I'm a North Jersey guy and I could never live in South Jersey, but if you want to find a South Jersey lifestyle in North Jersey you can find it, especially if you make that much money.

Acid08

Banned
apparently weber visited NY, liked everything about it - except the prospect of living in manhattan

Congratulations Philly, your small town farm life is what got you Weber...

I guess the dude on HF Boards that said he saw Weber with DW and TMac in downtown was actually telling the truth. Can't imagine what we would have traded for him.

Clydefrog

We talkin' bout grills again?

I use my Weber all the time. Recently though, I left it open after I was done with it. Sure enough, it rained. In July. In SoCal. WTF.

Philly suburbs, for the most part, are the NJ suburbs, just like NY.

Further, many rangers live in CT or westchester.

Also, from Brooksie:
Rather, it is believed that Poile and Philadelphia GM Paul Holmgren are negotiating a trade in which the Predators would send at least two of the four first round picks the team would receive as compensation back to the Flyers for players off the NHL roster.

Alucard

Banned
Seriously though...if the Flyers get Weber, the Penguins are fucked. They were fucked before, but they will be extra fucked now. No idea what Shero can do to bolster the Pittsburgh defense at this point. Who the hell is left out there? Are there any big name dmen going UFA next season? Will Nashville now trade for Paul Martin for Mike Fisher or Martin Erat to fill up their back line and to give the Pens a winger for Crosby? (Fisher is centre, I know)

Seriously though...if the Flyers get Weber, the Penguins are fucked. They were fucked before, but they will be extra fucked now. No idea what Shero can do to bolster the Pittsburgh defense at this point. Who the hell is left out there? Are there any big name dmen going UFA next season? Will Nashville now trade for Paul Martin for Mike Fisher or Martin Erat to fill up their back line and to give the Pens a winger for Crosby? (Fisher is centre, I know)

It may not be as bad as you think. The way things are looking, and knowing Homer, we'll probably lose Couturier and Read or Voracek in this deal. Then the Flyers will have lost JVR, Jagr, Couturier, and Read or Voracek. That's a first line in some places. Add in Bryz and you have a team just waiting to underperform.

I'd almost rather the Preds just match or let Weber leave. This trade talk scares me.

Razorskin

----- ------

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Look at this and hope some don't resign, maybe you guys can get Scuderi back. :lol

Alucard

Banned
It may not be as bad as you think. The way things are looking, and knowing Homer, we'll probably lose Couturier and Read or Voracek in this deal. Then the Flyers will have lost JVR, Jagr, Couturier, and Read or Voracek. That's a first line in some places. Add in Bryz and you have a team just waiting to underperform.

I'd almost rather the Preds just match or let Weber leave. This trade talk scares me.

Wait, don't the Preds just get 4 1sts if they don't match? What's this about getting other players from the Flyers' roster? Or do you mean they'll move those guys to make salary room?

So Tobias Enstrom is the big name for next year huh?

Wait, don't the Preds just get 4 1sts if they don't match? What's this about getting other players from the Flyers' roster? Or do you mean they'll move those guys to make salary room?

There's rumors that the Preds are trying to get roster players for the picks in separate deal in exchange for them not matching.

Though the more I think about it.... if that's the case why doesn't Homer just call their bluff because they obviously don't want to pay?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Want Keith Ballard?

Alucard

Banned
http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Look at this and hope some don't resign, maybe you guys can get Scuderi back. :lol

Sad list, bro. Looking back, maybe Scuds was worth the 3 million. At the end of 2009, he felt like a dime-a-dozen stay at home guy, and Pens fans considered 3 million an overpayment because he was getting that money for making one game-saving stop. Heh.

Ryan Whitney is also available. Hrm.

A lockout may be good for the Pens...would give their young defensemen a year to mature and maybe step up to the NHL. I think that Simon Despres is already ready and will likely step into Lovejoy's or Michalek's spot this season, and that Joe Morrow may be ready too. We'll see. I don't see the Pens' defensive situation as being as dire as some make it out to be, but it definitely isn't ideal.

I guess the dude on HF Boards that said he saw Weber with DW and TMac in downtown was actually telling the truth. Can't imagine what we would have traded for him.

My friend sent me a picture of him and Weber about a month ago when he ran into him downtown Calgary. He had shopping bags in his hand and I got scared that he was visiting the city for whatever reason to check it out and maybe go to the Flames.

I think Feaster did the smart thing and sign Wideman instead, LOLZ

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh shit, so many possibilities!

Jaroslav Spacek
Mark Eaton
Scott Hannan

Shero still has some options, boys.

Sadly, those guys may be an upgrade on the Wings.

calder

Ah fuck it, I love offer sheets and especially love the assholey ones. Yes cap circumvention should be prevented where possible in the future etc etc but until it is I don't blame teams for abusing that shit. And regardless of the bonus structure (lol, so ice cold) it's BS that teams don't use offer sheets more often, no matter how much some GM's frown about them.

Ok, I'm NEVER happy about what this team does. I just want to take this moment to try and be Tabris.

2012-13
Hart: Giroux
Norris: Weber (On Flyers....)
Selke: Couturier (In a HUGE upset)
Vezina: Bryzgalov
Conn Smythe: Briere
Stanley Cup: Philadelphia Flyers

GREATEST TEAM IN THE LAST SIXTY YEARS!

/Tabris

Ok, yeah I'm not serious..... but it would be so awesome!!!!!!!

Saved for next season.

Top Bottom