• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Looking at those UFA lists, there are some old defencemen. Streit is 34, wow.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/07/19/spf-nhl-offer-sheets-what-if.html

Player: Thomas Vanek, Buffalo Sabres
Year: 2007

The offer: The Edmonton Oilers dangled a seven-year, $50 million deal for four 1st-round picks.

What could've been: Edmonton went on to draft Jordan Eberle (2008, 22nd overall), Magnus Paajarvi (2009, 10th overall), Taylor Hall (2010, 1st overall), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (2011, 1st overall).

Edmonton may not have finished in the basement with Vanek, but those are some great picks the Sabres could've had.

Never knew Fedorov got OS'ed:

Player: Sergei Fedorov, Detroit Red Wings
Year: 1998

The offer: The Carolina Hurricanes offer a six-year, $38 million deal for five 1st-round draft picks.

What could've been: Carolina went on to draft David Tanabe (1999, 16th overall), no pick in 2000, Igor Knyazev (2001, 15th overall), but then things started to get interesting. Cam Ward (2002, 25th overall), Eric Staal (2003, 2nd overall), Andrew Ladd (2004, 4th overall), key pieces of the Hurricanes' 2006 Stanley Cup win.

Hindsight is 20/20 in 2012: Fedorov signed the deal while playing for Russia at the Nagano Olympics. The deal included a $26 million signing bonus. Fedorov went on to help Detroit win Stanley Cups in 1998 and 2002.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
no panic trades, please poile. let the kids get some experience. blum/ellis/josi/ekholm will save us in a few years.

and then we can lose them to a bigger market is 3-5 years.

sefskillz

I'm starting to think he ends up in Philly. Why talk trade if you just plan on matching? What you get in return is the question. All is not lost for you sef.

BOcsJ.jpg

Slurmer

Banned
I'm starting to think he ends up in Philly. Why talk trade if you just plan on matching? What you get in return is the question. All is not lost for you sef.

I'm worried if players are involved that Philly is going to make couturier a part of it. I think weber is worth 4 picks, but picks plus couturier...I think I'd pass if I had the option.

Picks or let Nashville match, please.

LJ11

Further, many rangers live in CT or westchester.

Also, from Brooksie:

Yeah, but a lot of the core guys live in Manhattan. Henrik, Gaborik, Cally, Dubi, Girardi, MDZ, Richards, all live in the city, and there's probably a couple I'm missing. Brooks wrote that Weber didn't want to be separated from the group by living in Westchester.

Somewhat unrelated, Brooks has become Sather's mouthpiece, pretty funny.

Yeah, but a lot of the core guys live in Manhattan. Henrik, Gaborik, Cally, Dubi, Girardi, MDZ, Richards, all live in the city, and there's probably a couple I'm missing. Brooks wrote that Weber didn't want to be separated from the group by living in Westchester.

Somewhat unrelated, Brooks has become Sather's mouthpiece, pretty funny.

Brooks has ALWAYS been Sather's mouthpiece

I'm worried if players are involved that Philly is going to make couturier a part of it. I think weber is worth 4 picks, but picks plus couturier...I think I'd pass if I had the option.

I agree. Homer made a great move with the offer sheet. Hopefully he won't screw it up with a trade. Them matching is better than us sending multiple pieces from our core.

See, now it won't happen. Keep the reverse jinx alive, bruce.

There's a legitimate chance it won't. I'm just trying to figure out how it is likely to play out.

Damnit Soc, you point out how I've screwed things up and the next five things I read all make it pretty clear Nashville is going to match. I should just stop listening to people. The money makes too much sense for them not to. The short term problems for them should be easy to finance.

Socreges

Banned
Damnit Soc, you point out how I've screwed things up and the next five things I read all make it pretty clear Nashville is going to match. I should just stop listening to people. The money makes too much sense for them not to. The short term problems for them should be easy to finance.
Honestly, who knows. Nashville themselves might still be deliberating. I was just poking fun at your (previous) absolute certainty despite reasons to believe the opposite.

sefskillz

ive been drinking heavily this evening... but i dont have a problem losing weber. its for 4 fucking draft picks that is the issue. if the rumors of philly working a deal w/ us for the picks back and partly as a makeup for pink socking us, im game

I hope the Flyers dont give the Preds anything else. They should totally call their bluff. If the Preds wanted to keep him so much why were they trying to trade him even before the Flyers gave him the OS? If the Preds were willing to pay him this much they would have signed him a long time ago.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ive been drinking heavily this evening... but i dont have a problem losing weber. its for 4 fucking draft picks that is the issue. if the rumors of philly working a deal w/ us for the picks back and partly as a makeup for pink socking us, im game

I think they should definitely arrange something...this is extremely 'predatory' :D

However, can you still offer a deal after signing the sheet??????

sefskillz

I think they should definitely arrange something...this is extremely 'predatory' :D

However, can you still offer a deal after signing the sheet??????

no deal allowed, it'd have to be in good faith.. i.e. we won't match IF you give us this for x amount of picks back. not ideal, but better than just 4 fucking picks

no deal allowed, it'd have to be in good faith.. i.e. we won't match IF you give us this for x amount of picks back. not ideal, but better than just 4 fucking picks

4 picks isnt much but it would give the Preds a ton of options in those drafts. They could package both and have a top 10 pick each year or take 2 guys in the first each year.

Curufinwe

Why would they give him them three firsts and Couturier when they could just give them four firsts? All of which will be a lot lower than the 8th pick.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
2012-13
Hart: Giroux
Norris: Weber (On Flyers....)
Selke: Couturier (In a HUGE upset)
Vezina: Bryzgalov
Conn Smythe: Briere
Stanley Cup: Philadelphia Flyers

Scary thing is, aside from Bryz for Vezina, that's not even that much of a stretch.

Top Bottom