• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Giard

Can someone in the Steam group invite me? I know I don't post that often, but I still luv you guys <3

Quote the post to see my account name.

Article on how the Weber offer is basically public acknowledgement that Pronger isn't coming back. Sad times.

Simply put, he was an absolute jerk. And a delightful one. Stealing pucks after Stanley Cup Final games and doing funny interviews were part of the deal, as was explaining how physics works differently for him because he is tall. The latter was also a perfect example of his being one of those "borderline players" who routinely crossed that line, elbowing opponents in the face and suspended by the league seven times in the last 12 years. Big, mean, punishing. Most nights, players probably didn't want to come across the blue line on Pronger, even with their heads up. They knew he would try to check them through a wall.

Shea Weber is a lot of things, including the second-best defenseman in the league. But they just don't make defensemen like Chris Pronger any more. That's probably a good thing for his opponents, but it's sad for fans of hockey.

Acid08

Banned
Dan Winnik has signed with the Ducks for 2 years. Anyone have any details of him?

hahahahahaha wow

We got him at the deadline last year for McGinn. He's quick, physical, and can play the possession game well. Didn't seem to have any kind of offensive talent, mostly a defensive player. Wouldn't have been mad if the Sharks resigned him, not sure why he wasn't if all he wanted was 1.8mil.

Heretic

hahahahahaha wow

We got him at the deadline last year for McGinn. He's quick, physical, and can play the possession game well. Didn't seem to have any kind of offensive talent, mostly a defensive player. Wouldn't have been mad if the Sharks resigned him, not sure why he wasn't if all he wanted was 1.8mil.
He looks like a Penner type player... Bottom 6 for you, pal!

hahahahahaha wow

Term, maybe.

Late but glad to see your alright 19 & 21. I have family that lives near where this took place as well, luckily they didn't go see the movie because they only have young kids.

Socreges

Banned
Dreamt last night that Luongo got traded to the Panthers. Checked here and read that we got Weiss +. Getting trolled even in my dreams.

iLLmAtlc

Man that really's insane how she witnessed the Toronto one too. Makes no sense but kinda makes you think when it's time to go it's time to go.

Yeah, they've been talking about her on the news. This is so shit all around, the US just seems to be infested with these types of tragedies. Fuck guns and fuck people.

I know you are entitled to your own opinion which I'm fine with, but you say this in pretty much any thread (or at least I have noticed it a few times) that has something to do like this. Also I wouldn't say the US is infested with these types of tragedies at all, if we were we would be having threads like this non-stop and it is clear that we don't.

Also I didn't realize that girl was a hockey reporter, sad stuff.

TUSR

Banned
I know you are entitled to your own opinion which I'm fine with, but you say this in pretty much any thread (or at least I have noticed it a few times) that has something to do like this. Also I wouldn't say the US is infested with these types of tragedies at all, if we were we would be having threads like this non-stop and it is clear that we don't.

Sad regardless.

What drives people to do these types of things, honestly.

Acid08

Banned

I say it because I believe it. Fuck guns and anything else that has the sole purpose of killing living things.

So I actually lived about 5 minutes from that theater about a year ago. We went there once or twice a month as it was the only theater in the area that didn't feel completely abandoned. Aurora is a pretty fucked up area and not too long ago, hell, even just down the street from this place there was a shooting that involved the murder of a young teenage girl on the street for no reason at all. Colorado really isn't a bad place despite all of the horrific shootings we seem to get. Hearing about the absolutely ruthless nature of this event has shocked me, I took some of my game stuff into Children's Hospital to donate earlier and just being there made me feel ill. The people there are mystified as to how the fuck someone does something like this. I had a chat with a neighbor who just turned 18 and is from Afghanistan. He told me that things of this nature happened daily in his hometown, and that he has a hard time speaking to people here when this kind of thing happens because he has been numbed to it.

What the fuck, world.

I say it because I believe it. Fuck guns and anything else that has the sole purpose of killing living things.

Flyswatters?

But seriously, sad story. Glad everyone here seems to have managed to avoid personal connection to the shooting. FOOTE your family alright?

That twitter is just depressing. Seems like a great girl.

Sad regardless.

What drives people to do these types of things, honestly.

Yup, really makes you wonder what goes on in some of these people's heads.

That's fine, I just noticed you always seem to say it in those types of threads, regardless though this is extremely sad, I do have to say I hate anyone who will try to use this for political means on either side, that's not what these events should be used as.

Socreges

Banned
That's a great observation to make, Crazed. Guy who hates the pervasiveness of guns in the gun crime capital of the world expresses his hatred during incidents when multiple people are killed with guns.

Such a shitty tragedy. Just catching up now.

Curufinwe

Infested might be a stretch, but America has the highest rate of per capita gun death in the developed world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

That's a great observation to make, Crazed. Guy who hates the pervasiveness of guns in the gun crime capital of the world expresses his hatred during incidents when multiple people are killed with guns.

Such a shitty tragedy. Just catching up now.

That last comment was not directed at Acid if that is what you are trying to say, I just noticed it in the main thread from both sides on how some people are trying to use this for political gain both ways. Then again this isn't the thread to talk about all of this anyways. So apologies for bringing it up.

No, you guys have it wrong, I don't mean people on GAF per say, I meant links to stories they were posting, not particularly the people who post on here, all that is just random opinions.

Zomg a trade

NYR trades Casey wellman to the panthers for a 5th

Trading market should become more active now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This is what I don't get. We're not politicians, just people speaking our opinions. Any "political gain" on GAF is laughable.

Yeah. I'm with you on this too, i don't understand this gun culture. It's true that this happens because ony criminals carry guns concealed, but then my response to this is so different from gun-fans.

Gun-fans: "this proves that civilians should be able to get concealed carry, if everyone had guns this wouldn't happen!"

My answer: "wrong, if NOONE had guns/it wasn't this crazy easy to get guns this wouldn't happen"

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Our system definitely needs to be more strict to prevent psychopaths from buying guns. I don't see the need for a concealed permit. I just like going to the range and that is all I'd do if I buy a gun later this year.

Smiley90

Our system definitely needs to be more strict to prevent psychopaths from buying guns. I don't see the need for a concealed permit. I just like going to the range and that is all I'd do if I buy a gun later this year.

Why not have a gun range with gun rentals on site? So much safer.

Because people do like to own and take care of their own guns. Plus their are plenty of gun ranges that do that as well, but if you shoot more it is cheaper to eventually buy your own gun to shoot instead of wasting money on rental guns.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Because I want to own one. There are many places in this country where the police do not show up in a timely manner. I don't see what is wrong if you have a firearm for protection living in a dangerous neighborhood.

Acid08

Banned
Because I want to own one. There are many places in this country where the police do not show up in a timely manner. I don't see what is wrong if you have a firearm for protection living in a dangerous neighborhood.

Nothing wrong with it, it's your right under our laws.

I feel like owning a gun, especially if you carry it on you with a permit, is just inviting trouble your way though.

Smiley90

Then the problem is the fact that there are dangerous neighbourhoods in the first place. Buying a gun might make you personally feel save, but it just escalates the problem. Why treat the symptom when you should be treating the disease.

The law is the problem here. Without guns, don't you think that neighbourhood would be safer?

EDIT: This is getting OT though, and as neither an american not a north american in the first place, I really shouldn't be saying anything. All I'm saying is that I really think that this amendment (which one is it? The one that involves guns) is one of the root causes of this violence and the existence of these neighbourhoods. More guns only creates more problems.

Nothing wrong with it, it's your right under our laws.

I feel like owning a gun, especially if you carry it on you with a permit, is just inviting trouble your way though.

Not necessarily, I have my concealed license (no pistol yet as I'm not sure what to get and they are expensive). However, the first thing you usually learn is that you should avoid being in any situation that would make you draw your weapon. The best defense is never having to use your weapon at all. A concealed weapon is there for the most dire of circumstances and a responsible concealed weapon owner will never have to draw their pistol in their lifetime.

Then the problem is the fact that there are dangerous neighbourhoods in the first place. Buying a gun might make you personally feel save, but it just escalates the problem. Why treat the symptom when you should be treating the disease.

The law is the problem here. Without guns, don't you think that neighbourhood would be safer?

Another problem here is that sometimes people can't get out of some of these bad neighborhoods for different reasons, thus having a gun for protection is usually the next option.

On the bolded, guns are already around, you can't and will not get rid of them ever, sorry but that is pretty much a fact. You can't look at an alternate universe where guns aren't there because then you are helping to solve any problems.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Okay so if someone intends on harming me and breaks into my home I shouldn't have the right to protect myself? How is that inviting trouble onto yourself? Hopefully that never happens but it can happen and does. The laws won't stop people from obtaining weapons.

There were plenty of violent people before the economy crashed. Sorry for getting this thread off topic. I'll stop posting about it.

Yeah, we all should probably take it over to the gun thread that just popped up.

So any bets on what Nashville is going to do with this offer sheet deal? I say they match it however Weber will be traded within the next 2 years or so once he is allowed to be traded again.

Top Bottom