• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Socreges

Banned
i1Vw30X6Zo1i4.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Aucoin is great in the AHL but he didn't do much for us in the big league. I can't believe Hunter kept putting him on the top PP unit. He had more PP time than Semin.

Apparently Vancouver was one of 6 teams that were serious considerations for Weber, but I guess the Flyer's massive contract just blew everyone else out of the waters.

Apparently Vancouver was one of 6 teams that were serious considerations for Weber, but I guess the Flyer's massive contract just blew everyone else out of the waters.
It was ruthless "my way or the highway" play by the Flyers. Their trade plans didn't win? Throw massive sheet and either land Weber or lock him up with Nashville. One hand I love it but the other it is a big market team pushing around a smaller market team.

It was ruthless "my way or the highway" play by the Flyers. Their trade plans didn't win? Throw massive sheet and either land Weber or lock him up with Nashville. One hand I love it but the other it is a big market team pushing around a smaller market team.

Isn't it usually frowned upon too? I'm curious if it comes back to bite them.

Nashville can try and fuck them up by offering very large offer sheets to all their young guys. Voracek, Courturier and Schenn. With Suter and Weber gone, Preds can offer $5 million to each of them and not blink once.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Doan was in Philly today. Would it even be possible to get both him and Weber without trading a few players? This is assuming Doan is getting overpaid.

Apparently Doan was in Philly today. Would it even be possible to get both him and Weber without trading a few players? This is assuming Doan is getting overpaid.

After the Weber deal they can spend about 4m more. They could theoretically get Doan but Voracek would be gone.

There's also the possibility of a deal with Nashville that sends some salary over there. Apparently Mez is a possibility. :(

http://ducksdailyblog.com/2012/07/2...ive-bargaining-agreement-discussions-ongoing/

The talks started after the NHL and Commissioner Gary Bettman made their first offer to the NHLPA that kind of cut deep into the heart of the NHLPA. The NHL’s proposal would cut the percentage of what the players get from the NHL’s revenue down from 57 percent to 46 percent. The proposal also changes the length of years it takes to become an unrestricted free agent from it’s current length of seven years/27-years-old to 10 years. The proposal also puts a clamp on the recent long-term contract offers we’ve seen in recent years by making a maximum contract length of only five years, this all coming with the recent Zach Parise and Ryan Suter signings and the massive offer sheet for Shea Weber by the Philadelphia Flyers. Finally, entry-level deals lengths’ would also be changed to five years instead of the current three years, there would no longer be salary arbitration or signing bonuses.

So, what alternative sports do you guys have lined up? I think I'll learn how cricket works.

A lockout would absolutely murder the Preds at this point. Lose your two superstars over the summer, don't play hockey for an entire season. Poor Sef.

Vancouver never gave Weber an offer sheet, but apparently they were seriously considering it. They ended up not going through with it because they figured Nashville would almost certainly match and didn't want the bad rep. I for one am glad they did do an offer sheet. We've got too many players who could be exposed to offer sheets if that all went bad, we'd be fucked. I do not want a retaliatory offer sheet to show up for Lack or Tanev.

iLLmAtlc

http://www.theprovince.com/business...+from+Philly/6960016/story.html#ixzz21IqNGN18

That's the article that describes the Canucks' pursuit of Weber. Pretty interesting because the Canucks usually are not that forthcoming information.

Another thing they were considering was to sign Weber to a 1 year 14 million offer sheet, even though it would have cost them 4 1st round picks to give you an idea how much they wanted him. It also talks about how that plan got derailed when the NHL CBA proposal leaked (cue the conspiracy) and it sent a message to Weber that this could be the last chance to get a lifer contract.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Record the entire Olympics and parcel it out for the season.

I laughed out loud at this.

Also, I get back today to see that my little dig at Marvie (the Phoenix moving thing which we've been joking about all year) starts the exchange that gets him banned.

Sadness :(

Top Bottom