• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

hhwKL.jpg

Tom Brady says "get bent."

Socreges

Banned
I love a lot of stuff about football, but the amount of stoppages kills the game for me. I went to a Seahawks game last November and was bored to tears. Seems like you need to be buzzed/drunk to have a really good time. And watching it on TV, it's great if you're heavy into the production and the narratives. Otherwise you've got the same problems.

Acid08

Banned
I love a lot of stuff about football, but the amount of stoppages kills the game for me. I went to a Seahawks game last November and was bored to tears. Seems like you need to be buzzed/drunk to have a really good time. And watching it on TV, it's great if you're heavy into the production and the narratives. Otherwise you've got the same problems.

Raiders fans have this figured out. Those games are wild, bad things happen. The team and the fans are terrible.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I started being a fan when Arsenal were unstoppable...Henry, Bergkamp, Ljungberg, Cole, Campbell, Fabregas...haven't cared as much lately, and not sure if I'm as much an Arsenal fan as a bandwagon fan of entertaining teams and great players. Hard to get attached when I'm in Canada. Find that I don't care as much about Arsenal, but trying to keep it up. Who do you follow?

the pride of north london man, tottenham hotspur :) heading up to baltimore next weekend to see Spurs vs Liverpool

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Play for 15 seconds, 5 minute break. Another 15 seconds of play, 5 minute break. That ambien sport.

What he said.

NFL < CFL anyway. Woooooooo.

Not even close to being true.

There's a play clock in between plays that is 40 seconds and most don't take nearly as long to snap the ball.

Alucard

Banned
Not even close to being true.

There's a play clock in between plays that is 40 seconds and most don't take nearly as long to snap the ball.

Okay, let's say that you have a running play and the guy gets stopped right away. That's about 3 seconds of game time followed by 25-30 seconds of setup time. Passing play? Maybe 7-10 seconds of play at best in most games, unless it's a long run. The ratio of playing to waiting is still far in favour of waiting. I've been to a live game...it's okay, but the stop-go nature makes it a second-rate rugby.

Fuck other sports.

Will watch a ton of College hockey. Maybe that new CHL affiliate of ours, too.

They haven't even offered a contract yet have they?

Actually I don't follow soccer my fourth team is the Cleveland Browns of the NFL.

Sadness is swallowed on a regular basis.

Seriously? You're a goddamn masochist.

Who did they play? Because Seahawks suck, so I don't know if it's fair to base a whole sport on a shitty team.

Alucard

Banned
a van persie-less arsenal squad sounds pretty mid table to me

AND THE PENS SUCK TOO

Fuck it, I'm on board for Arsenal this season. Gonna do my homework, get to know the squad, and watch as many games as possible.

*checks roster*

CHU-YOUNG PARK IN YOUR MOUTH ALL DAY, SEF.

Walcott, Diaby, Mertesacker, Rosicky...looks alright to me, barring injuries.

Is Van Persie not coming back for sure? Ah, I guess not...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-for-in-demand-striker-Robin-van-Persie.html (posted 22 minutes ago)

I wish soccer had trades and that teams couldn't just buy players from other teams.

Man, the Premier League site is pretty nice. GAF Fantasy league? I'm sure that's happening in the football/soccer thread already.

sefskillz

Fuck it, I'm on board for Arsenal this season. Gonna do my homework, get to know the squad, and watch as many games as possible.

*checks roster*

CHU-YOUNG PARK IN YOUR MOUTH ALL DAY, SEF.

Walcott, Diaby, Mertesacker, Rosicky...looks alright to me, barring injuries.

Is Van Persie not coming back for sure? Ah, I guess not...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-for-in-demand-striker-Robin-van-Persie.html (posted 22 minutes ago)

I wish soccer had trades and that teams couldn't just buy players from other teams.

Man, the Premier League site is pretty nice. GAF Fantasy league? I'm sure that's happening in the football/soccer thread already.

i actually really like song and walcott. and it takes a lot for me to say that, fuck the rest of arsenal. i love soccer's system, especially promotion/relegation. i'd love it if the preds could draft well and sell guys like shea weber for 30+ million, americans are just too bandwagony for it to ever work

Alucard

Banned
i actually really like song and walcott. and it takes a lot for me to say that, fuck the rest of arsenal. i love soccer's system, especially promotion/relegation. i'd love it if the preds could draft well and sell guys like shea weber for 30+ million, americans are just too bandwagony for it to ever work

Alright, time to get an Arsenal kit. I wanna hit up an MLS game or two as well. :) I actually have a Montreal team I can cheer for!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seriously? You're a goddamn masochist.

Hence my tag. I've been hanging out more with NFL-GAF this offseason once they learned of my terrible fate some mod gave me this. Deservedly so.

It would probably be a lot worse if I didn't have a good sense of humour about all these teams. One of my buddies absolutely loses his shit when the Leafs/Raps/Jays don't make the playoffs each year. But then again he's one of those fans that reads Eklund, and believes every star player wants to come play for the Leafs.

sefskillz

Alright, time to get an Arsenal kit. I wanna hit up an MLS game or two as well. :) I actually have a Montreal team I can cheer for!

all i ask is you don't force that disgustingness on the new child. i wish we had a mls team nearby. nothing at all in the southeast.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
One sport. That's all I have to say.

Premier League is alright, the rest (esp NFL) sucks.

Liverpool ALL THE WAY.

What does being Canadian have to do with that...?

Because Canadians are the most offended by the usage of it.

Around these parts, it's seen as the worst thing you can call someone. Hence why we give Aussies dirty looks when they throw it around like a football.

When used positively etc

Still classless, but I find it endearing and makes it fun to parody bogans.

My boss, who never liked me, finally got promoted to a position where he could do something about it and fired me, illegally, so I'm in some labour board / lawyer hell trying to figure out how I can get as much money as possible out of them. Then, a week later, my landlord informed me he was selling his share of the property to his partner who decided to kick us out so he can ALLEGEDLY move himself and his family in, which I don't buy for a second. Thankfully my room mate is handling that bullshit, since between finding a new job and suing my former employer I just didn't have the time. So yeah, June was a shitty month but now I've got a new job and am moving to a way better place for August 1st, which is unfortunately when I would have been incredibly drunk in Seattle.

Jesus fuck dude. Sorry to hear.

I got fired by a text message from my boss as soon as I got back from my Nans funeral on saturday :lol

Wanna get drunk?

Hence my tag. I've been hanging out more with NFL-GAF this offseason once they learned of my terrible fate some mod gave me this. Deservedly so.

It would probably be a lot worse if I didn't have a good sense of humour about all these teams. One of my buddies absolutely loses his shit when the Leafs/Raps/Jays don't make the playoffs each year. But then again he's one of those fans that reads Eklund, and believes every star player wants to come play for the Leafs.

Kave_Man has gone senile... Best to put him down... :/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Okay, let's say that you have a running play and the guy gets stopped right away. That's about 3 seconds of game time followed by 25-30 seconds of setup time. Passing play? Maybe 7-10 seconds of play at best in most games, unless it's a long run. The ratio of playing to waiting is still far in favour of waiting. I've been to a live game...it's okay, but the stop-go nature makes it a second-rate rugby.

I understand what you're saying and that it's not for everyone.

With the intensity and physicality of the sport, though, there's no other way to do it. I think that it's the sport that has the most interesting and entertaining action in the world by far.

Socreges

Banned
Who did they play? Because Seahawks suck, so I don't know if it's fair to base a whole sport on a shitty team.
I don't think it's fair, either. Good thing I didn't do that. I was just using that as a recent example. I'm obviously not talking about one single game as if I've never seen another NFL game in my life.

Alucard

Banned
Fleury looking pimping in that suit. Hope this marriage marks a new era of AWESOME FLEURY.

And yeah, Talbot looks like an idiot. :(

FOOTE

all i ask is you don't force that disgustingness on the new child. i wish we had a mls team nearby. nothing at all in the southeast.

There was a time a few years ago that St. Louis was a prime target for a team but it doesn't look like it will happen for a long while now. That's cool, I have Chelsea.

Tabris

My teams are as follows:

Hockey - NHL: Vancouver Canucks, International: Team Canada
Football - NFL: Denver Broncos and NY Giants (Old: Indy Colts), CFL: BC Lions, College: I am picking a team soon to follow, I thought I would go with WSU since they are in a big conference and are underdogs. Plus I could potentially go there as it's only like 8 hours away.
Basketball - NBA: Boston Celtics (Old: Chicago Bulls) - This is my least favourite league right now due to disparity between teams.
Soccer - MLS: Vancouver Whitecaps, International - Bayern Munich, Team Germany
Baseball - MLB: Toronto Blue Jays (Old: Atlanta Braves - funny story I was cheering on Braves when they lost to Blue Jays back in the 90s)

Most Hated Teams:

Hockey - NHL: Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins, International: Team USA
Football - NFL: NE Patriots, CFL: Edmonton Eskies, College: Don't know it yet.
Basketball: NBA: LA Lakers and Miami Heat
Soccer: MLS: New York Red Bulls, International - Team Italy
Baseball - MLB: NY Yankees

Since everyone else is throwing their teams out there:

MLB: White Sox
NBA (lol): Bulls
NHL: Hawks
NFL: Panthers
Premier League: Gonna be my first year watching. idk yet.

Top Bottom