• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cactus

Banned
Maybe I'm crazy, but I like this deal for Columbus. They get two relatively young forwards who are capable of scoring 20 goals (probably more considering they'll be getting a lot more minutes), a "can't miss" prospect who will probably become a top-4 defenceman, and a 1st. That's pretty good value for a disgruntled, overpaid 35 goal scorer whose best days might already be behind him, IMO.

Of course, Nash will probably have a great season, but in the long term, I think Columbus will win this deal (assuming the pieces they received don't bolt the first chance they get). If the Rangers don't win the Stanley Cup sometime in the next 3-4 years, they're going to have a very hard time dumping a declining Richards and a declining Nash.

Filth

As a die hard rangers fan I'm going to miss Dubinsky. Nash is a great edition but I can't help but get sad to see Dubi in another jersey.

pringles

It isn't Howsen's fault that Detroit is having a poor offseason. For one, I don't think Franzen/Filppula/Nyquist is much better than Dubinsky/Anisimov/Erixon/1st. Franzen is signed for another ~8 years and Filppula is an UFA after this season.

And trading your franchise player within the division is just something you don't do.

If we're just comparing the Detroit offer to the NY one, he made the right move.
Miss the part where I said I think Det's offer was overpayment? Glad that didn't happen. Would have given up one of Franzen/Fil but def not both. And imo you're pretty crazy to say it wasn't a better deal. Only real negative was the risk of Fil being a 1-year rental, but Rangers gave up 3rd liners and prospect/pick, Detroit offered 2nd liners (1st on BJs).

Division rival yeah, but a GM should worry 1st and foremost about his own team, and with realignment possibly coming it could look even worse in retrospect. Howsen handled this pretty much as bad as he possibly could have.

On reflection, it's a decent deal for both teams. The Rangers don't part with any of their best players and the Jackets get two roster players who could get top-6 minutes.

Craigslist

Nah. They probably get some sort of tax credit if they hire a certain number of employees through the state unemployment office or one of those placement programs for ex-cons. If you HAVE to fill the position might as well at least attempt to get SOMEONE who helps the bottom line.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
255236_10151126005410996_1997994778_n.jpg

Argh, god dammit EA. How hard is it to have the ref face the correct way for the center ice faceoffs?!??

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/255236_10151126005410996_1997994778_n.jpg

Argh, god dammit EA. How hard is it to have the ref face the correct way for the center ice faceoffs?!??

And how hard is it to put Rick Nash in the correct position? He's a right winger

Alucard

Banned
Maybe I'm crazy, but I like this deal for Columbus. They get two relatively young forwards who are capable of scoring 20 goals (probably more considering they'll be getting a lot more minutes), a "can't miss" prospect who will probably become a top-4 defenceman, and a 1st. That's pretty good value for a disgruntled, overpaid 35 goal scorer whose best days might already be behind him, IMO.

Of course, Nash will probably have a great season, but in the long term, I think Columbus will win this deal (assuming the pieces they received don't bolt the first chance they get). If the Rangers don't win the Stanley Cup sometime in the next 3-4 years, they're going to have a very hard time dumping a declining Richards and a declining Nash.

Nash and Gaborik will make the all-injured team.

Razorskin

----- ------
Once in be a GM mode, I entered a game and it was a 5-4 pp from the other team and I only had 3 guys on the ice. With my center missing and the ref dropping the puck and the only center there not even getting a clean faceoff win.

Socreges

Banned
Miss the part where I said I think Det's offer was overpayment? Glad that didn't happen. Would have given up one of Franzen/Fil but def not both. And imo you're pretty crazy to say it wasn't a better deal. Only real negative was the risk of Fil being a 1-year rental, but Rangers gave up 3rd liners and prospect/pick, Detroit offered 2nd liners (1st on BJs).

Division rival yeah, but a GM should worry 1st and foremost about his own team, and with realignment possibly coming it could look even worse in retrospect. Howsen handled this pretty much as bad as he possibly could have.
Was just talking about the salt from you toward Howsen, like his denial was some personal affront ("childish"). Every time Detroit loses out on someone, there's a fresh batch of sauce from you guys.

I also didn't say it wasn't better. I said it wasn't much better. Definitely not good enough to justify sending Nash to Detroit. I think you're understating how unattractive a 1-year rental and an 8-year commitment is. Not to mention the lack of a #1 pick (however late).

Alucard

Banned
I think it's a fair deal for both teams to be honest. The Jackets lose a cancer and pick up two roster players who can score, and the Rangers pick up a potential 40-goal man.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Next years draft is suppose to be crazy deep, even if NY's first rounder is a late one, it's still quite valuable.

Solo

Good shit.

Can't wait to see him suit up for the Habs at the start of the season
in 2013-2014, as this season is gonna be lost to lockout

Cactus

Banned
Which is why I'm willing to take Tor or Fld's 1st and 2nd straight up for Luongo. If there's a year to stock up on picks, this is it.

You better hope Tallon is willing to trade high picks because Burke probably wouldn't even consider it at this point in time. If Luongo is traded to Toronto it'll be player for player(s).

Revenant

Wanting is nothing. Doing is EVERYTHING!

Lol if I wasn't at work...

Spent part of yesterday watching various scenes from all three. So many good ones and a lot of great performances. Kinda bummed me out when I'd look at freeman or Caine. Those guys are so old now...

You better hope Tallon is willing to trade high picks because Burke probably wouldn't even consider it at this point in time. If Luongo is traded to Toronto it'll be player for player(s).
It won't be anything out of the top five of our pool (Huberdeau, Markstrom, Howden, Petrovic, Bjugstad). The biggest prospect would be Drew Shore to go in a trade. He would #1-2 in Van's pool though. The Wellman trade makes me think it may be Shore involved with a trade too.

Socreges

Banned
Which is why I'm willing to take Tor or Fld's 1st and 2nd straight up for Luongo. If there's a year to stock up on picks, this is it.
If that's true for Vancouver, then it's true for Florida that they've got another year to acquire another goaltender and let Markstrom develop.

Socreges

Banned
It won't be anything out of the top five of our pool (Huberdeau, Markstrom, Howden, Petrovic, Bjugstad). The biggest prospect would be Drew Shore to go in a trade. He would #1-2 in Van's pool though. The Wellman trade makes me think it may be Shore involved with a trade too.
Vancouver doesn't have any top tier prospects, but they've got a bunch of solid ones. Jensen, Kassian, Lack. #1-2 is pushing it, I think.

If that's true for Vancouver, then it's true for Florida that they've got another year to acquire another goaltender and let Markstrom develop.
Florida has such a deep farm pool that I think they're one of the few teams that can afford to miss next season. Sure, they wouldn't want to, but it won't hurt them as much as others.

I looked up Shore, he doesn't really seem like anything special to be honest. A 'B' Grade prospect to mix in with our sea of other 'B' grade prospects. He'd be at most #3 on our chart, competing with Gaunce, Schroeder and Connauton.

LJ11

As a die hard rangers fan I'm going to miss Dubinsky. Nash is a great edition but I can't help but get sad to see Dubi in another jersey.

Yeah, me too. I also like Anisimov, not strong on his skates but he's a responsible forward who plays both ends. If his release was quicker he'd be a much more productive player, he has a good strong shot but it takes him forever to get it off.

Lost two penalty killers as well, 3 total so far. Whatever, they'll find a way to fill holes.

Top Bottom