• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
... Who are those people... Ah whatever, I don't care. Game-talk is good, other sports-GAF talk bad.

... Who are those people... Ah whatever, I don't care. Game-talk is good, other sports-GAF talk bad.
Hey look! It's your favourite Hodgson replacement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbsma9gB3LY

Some interesting stuff from his interview on Team 1040.

On Weber:
- Confirmed Canucks had definite interest
- Expects the Predators to retain him
- Believes that Weber had a big money contract at the very top of his priorities list, location was secondary to that

On the Canucks defence
- Is currently happy and set with the top six, thinks the Ballard/Tanev pairing can handle tougher minutes this season
- Gragnani was let go because Connauton made him expendable by being bigger, faster, and better defensively
- Thinks Frankie Corrado could be the real deal, sees a high ceiling for the kid

On the Canucks offense
- Zack Kassian has a good shot to start in the top six
- Malhotra still has a long road of recovery ahead of him
- Wants to give Jordan Schroeder every opportunity to start the team

I honestly have no idea where Mason Raymond fits on this roster right now. If assuming Kesler starts the season, and Schroeder wins the 3rd line center spot, Raymond's out of the top 9:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Lapierre-Malhotra-Weise/Pinizzotto/Ebbett

Unless we're paying him 2.2 million to play a 4th line role that he's ill suited for, I can't imagine what's happening with Raymond. Also, the lack of any mention for Jensen's interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets let go to the SEL even if he impresses at camp. We don't necessarily need him next season and there's no point burning one of his ELC years as a third liner if he can jump in next season as an NHL-ready top six.

Smiley90

Hey look! It's your favourite Hodgson replacement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbsma9gB3LY

Some interesting stuff from his interview on Team 1040.

On Weber:
- Confirmed Canucks had definite interest
- Expects the Predators to retain him
- Believes that Weber had a big money contract at the very top of his priorities list, location was secondary to that

On the Canucks defence
- Is currently happy and set with the top six, thinks the Ballard/Tanev pairing can handle tougher minutes this season
- Gragnani was let go because Connauton made him expendable by being bigger, faster, and better defensively
- Thinks Frankie Corrado could be the real deal, sees a high ceiling for the kid

On the Canucks offense
- Zack Kassian has a good shot to start in the top six
- Malhotra still has a long road of recovery ahead of him
- Wants to give Jordan Schroeder every opportunity to start the team

I honestly have no idea where Mason Raymond fits on this roster right now. If assuming Kesler starts the season, and Schroeder wins the 3rd line center spot, Raymond's out of the top 9:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Lapierre-Malhotra-Weise/Pinizzotto/Ebbett

Unless we're paying him 2.2 million to play a 4th line role that he's ill suited for, I can't imagine what's happening with Raymond. Also, the lack of any mention for Jensen's interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets let go to the SEL even if he impresses at camp. We don't necessarily need him next season and there's no point burning one of his ELC years as a third liner if he can jump in next season as an NHL-ready top six.

I like to see Connauton get some minutes on the 3rd pairing with Tanev, they work together well. Also, Raymond will get some 2nd line minutes if Kassian plays bad, and then Kassian will get bumped to the 4th with Lapierre and Malhotra. If Kassian plays well/good enough for the 2nd, Raymond has to sit.

I like to see Connauton get some minutes on the 3rd pairing with Tanev, they work together well. Also, Raymond will get some 2nd line minutes if Kassian plays bad, and then Kassian will get bumped to the 4th with Lapierre and Malhotra. If Kassian plays well/good enough for the 2nd, Raymond has to sit.
Connauton should see a good deal of PP time if he gets called up. It's his bread and butter and he has the potential to really make a difference there.

I feel that if Schroeder and Connauton are both called up, we could see a pretty effective 2nd PP unit with Schroeder at the center and Connauton QBing it.

iLLmAtlc

Feel pretty bad for the Jackets. Seems like that franchise might be finally turning around after last year and it turned into one of the most nightmarish seasons imaginable that leads to losing the face of the franchise in the off-season.

Socreges

Banned
Raymond could have a good bounce-back year since he'll be fully recovered from his back injury and motivated by a 1-year contract. If nothing else he could sweeten a trade package, although I'd like to have him there for forward depth.

I don't mind him for forward depth either, I don't think he's a 25 goal forward though. I think he's a 15 goal 40 points guy, which isn't bad at all. I don't think he'll be retained after this year though, not with both Jensen and Kassian challenging for top six spots.

If he rebounds, he'll be trade bait, if he hasn't already gone in a package with Luongo by then.

Smiley90

Pro Cycling Manager 2012 Smiley?

What the fuck.

Do you have nothing better to do than to comment on my steam activities every day?

Also, cycling is awesome, that's my 3rd version of the game (Last one I owned was like 4 years back), so don't judge. I need my daily manager fix, the TV where I play NHL11 is occupied, I've already logged 163h in Football Manager 11 and am kinda burned out on it, so now Pro Cycling Manager it is. It's a good game if you're okay with cycling, actually.

Do you have nothing better to do than to comment on my steam activities every day?

Also, cycling is awesome, that's my 3rd version of the game (Last one I owned was like 4 years back), so don't judge. I need my daily manager fix, the TV where I play NHL11 is occupied, I've already logged 163h in Football Manager 11 and am kinda burned out on it, so now Pro Cycling Manager it is. It's a good game if you're okay with cycling, actually.
I wish there was a Hockey Managing game out. That would be downright awesome. Instead, all we're left is with the hope that NHL13 GM mode doesn't blow.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just caught up to this week's BB, still can't believe you think Boardwalk Empire is better then this Socreges. It's not even on the same planet for me.

Smiley90

I wish there was a Hockey Managing game out. That would be downright awesome. Instead, all we're left is with the hope that NHL13 GM mode doesn't blow.

Actually, there is! The Out Of the Park developers (who made the awesome Baseball OOTP Manager games) are working on a hockey version, it's scheduled for fall and will be glorious. FINALLY a good PC Hockey manager game again.

EDIT: Found the link! http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/wthm-general-discussions/

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Imagine if Edmonton won the lockout lottery again lololol
Imagine? There's no doubt.
The lottery will determine who gets to draft after the Oilers draft 1st overall.

Btw, a bit late to the party on the Nash news.
Pretty "meh" return for Columbus. I'm not a big Nash fan (especially at his cap hit), but there's no doubt that he's an elite goal scorer. And scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the NHL. So he ought to be worth more than some good, but not great players/prospects/picks.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
While talking to the media today, Tortorella says "I am leery of the promises Montreal made to Prust" whatever the fuck that means. Maybe Bergevin offered him a night with Carey's sister.

Huh. Lapierre met his wife at the Cactus Club last year just shortly after he was traded to Vancouver. He kept calling her and she eventually went out and the rest of history.

Reminds me of that Canucks-GAFer's story about Weise and at the Roxy. Poor Weise. If only he wasn't so hideous.

Smiley90

I will play this.

If it's only half as good as what I keep reading about out of the park baseball, it's gonna be extremely good. There hasn't been a good hockey manager for PC since... 2007. Fuck that. All I have is my NHL GM mode on xbox and that's not the same, but already good. This will be glorious. GM Connected and this together will get me through the lockout.

If it's only half as good as what I keep reading about out of the park baseball, it's gonna be extremely good. There hasn't been a good hockey manager for PC since... 2007. Fuck that. All I have is my NHL GM mode on xbox and that's not the same, but already good. This will be glorious. GM Connected and this together will get me through the lockout.
Don't forget Halo 4.

Never forget Halo 4.

Socreges

Banned
I can't see the Preds paying $27M over the first year and then shipping him off. That's too big an investment. It's in Weber's hands - if he's unhappy, he'll probably force their hand.

Congrats, sef!

Just caught up to this week's BB, still can't believe you think Boardwalk Empire is better then this Socreges. It's not even on the same planet for me.
thumbs_up_large.png

Entropia

No One Remembers
I can't believe Preds matched it. But it's not worth a gamble on 4 first round picks that could be total flops, plus if Philly does well then they'd be higher picks anyway.

Top Bottom