• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Doan meeting with Habs next week.....can't see him signing here, probably going to use them as leverage for other deals.

Socreges

Banned
Weber must have been pretty confident that the Preds would match. Sounds like he just wanted to get that massive front-loaded contract that, maybe, the Preds weren't initially willing to pay. I guess the prospect of losing Weber for four 1sts was unacceptable to them.

I hate that 90% of what we're discussing is either irrelevant or undermined because of the impending (possible) lockout. An entire year may pass without hockey. So much can change in that time.

CREMSteve

I dont think Nashville was ever offering a one year contract.

Whether they were offering it or not, as a Restricted FA, he would have every right to ask for it.

Now the only way he isn't a Pred for life is he if holds out or forces a trade ala Rick Nash. That shit drives me crazy, it shouldn't be allowed.

Yup, should have just signed a one year deal with the Preds and been unrestricted FA after that.

Now he's in Nashville for the rest of his Pro career.

He will force a trade. He had hid agent come out and say he didnt want to stay. The Preds basically spent $27m so that they could try and get more then 4 1st. Hopefully there is a lockout now and they spend all that money on Weber for nothing.

Yup, should have just signed a one year deal with the Preds and been unrestricted FA after that.

1 year deal wouldnt have been good either. With new CBA coming up, this is the last year to sign the kind of contract he did. The best thing would have been to be patient and help Nashville facilitate a trade.

Razorskin

----- ------
It's this bastard's fault
fIkNx.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, looks like Phoenix is staying put if Jamison gets that money.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...24phoenix-coyotes-public-wont-weigh-deal.html

Organizers behind an effort to overturn Glendale's Phoenix Coyotes deal say their battle is over largely because the Goldwater Institute won't provide legal backing.

The decision Monday comes a week after Glendale booted the referendum from the ballot, citing failure to meet a July 9 deadline or gather enough signatures.

The two Glendale residents behind the effort said they believed the conservative watchdog group, which had offered advice, would challenge the city's decision.

Goldwater officials said that although they wanted to give Glendale voters a chance to weigh in on the 20-year, $324 million Coyotes lease, they did not promise a lawsuit.

"We were trying our best to help our allies figure out the rules, but we weren't going to make an open-ended commitment to go to court if it turned out the city turned down the petitions," said Clint Bolick, the group's vice president for litigation.

The Phoenix-based non-profit continues to scrutinize the Coyotes deal more than three years after it first inserted itself into Glendale's hockey negotiations.

Some Coyotes fans say the group has overstepped, but legal experts say Goldwater would not have violated non-profit rules if it had stepped in on behalf of the two residents and sued the city to try to get the referendum on the ballot.

More at the link.

Someone on here was adamant this thing would be headed to court. Can't remember his name, though.

Seriously, though, this was just posted 2 hours ago:
Doan's camp hoped to hear from prospective Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison by the end of the week to gain reassurance that his bid to purchase the team was still progressing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...tinues-to-look-around-as-coyotes-remain-quiet

Apparently Jamison never called and Doan gave a new deadline of Friday to hear from him or he's gone from Phoenix.

Looks to me like Jamison isn't getting that money from investors. Better call Uncle Gary!

Socreges

Banned
Gotta go back to the origins. yankeehater said $27M that they'd pay and then "all that money". That's $14M+$13M. But they'd just pay the $13M since the $14M in salary would be pushed back.

It's also a signing bonus that they'd pay either way. But if they cover the first $26M and then immediately trade him, then that would be an extremely expensive way of getting a more lucrative trade. I can't imagine that's what their thinking is.

Fei

Glad to hear Weber is staying in Nashville.

I don't think it's likely that he ends up getting traded after a year. Because his contract is ultra front loaded, he's going to be a hell of a deal once his signing bonus years end.

Clydefrog

all that money.

at least Weber can buy the biggest estate in Nashville, make his own little community and pretend that he's not in Nashville

and he can buy like a million Weber grills!

It's also a signing bonus that they'd pay either way. But if they cover the first $26M and then immediately trade him, then that would be an extremely expensive way of getting a more lucrative trade. I can't imagine that's what their thinking is.

Can't trade him year 1 anyway, I thought?

I didn't read anything to say Weber wants out. He just saw how Nashville was paying out, he saw what every other guy on his team would do if given the chance (go for the money) and this was his last opportunity to do so before a new CBA breaks down everything. God knows if the Preds can afford anything right now but I think the move makes sense from a "why not just compete until we're priced into oblivion" perspective...

Those pics look awkward though. Did the contract really age Poile/starve Rinne that much?

Socreges

Banned
Can't trade him year 1 anyway, I thought?

I didn't read anything to say Weber wants out. He just saw how Nashville was paying out, he saw what every other guy on his team would do if given the chance (go for the money) and this was his last opportunity to do so before a new CBA breaks down everything. God knows if the Preds can afford anything right now but I think the move makes sense from a "why not just compete until we're priced into oblivion" perspective...

Those pics look awkward though. Did the contract really age Poile/starve Rinne that much?
His agent was saying that Weber was disappointed that Suter left and helps explain why he was willing to go to Philly. That's about as much as I heard. Honestly I think that could have just been them covering up the obvious 'Shea wanted to get paid'.

CREMSteve

@DarrenDreger: Now that Nashville has matched, expect Titan Sports to ask for a no trade or modified no trade clause for Weber. Can't be traded for 1 year

@DarrenDreger: A modified NTC would help Weber control the process if the Preds choose to trade him after the 1 year restriction.

@CraigJButton: Article 10.3 (b) allows for additional terms as may be agreed upon between RFA & prior club. So Nashville & Weber could agree on NTC/NMC.

Why is this even being discussed? Why on Earth would Nashville want to go back in and give away the only remaining card they hold in this sordid affair? That would make zero sense to me.

Socreges

Banned
Why is this even being discussed? Why on Earth would Nashville want to go back in and give away the only remaining card they hold in this sordid affair? That would make zero sense to me.
Because they don't want him to be disgruntled and anxious that he could be traded to some place like Edmonton.

Curufinwe

Yeah, he should have left tens of millions of dollars on the table instead of guaranteeing his financial security for life.

Tough shit. Suck it up and play.

I'd make a great GM in the NHL, no? :p

No, because then you will have a disgruntled player who most likely will start to not care and then you pretty much have a couple million dollar paper weight per say. When you could trade him for new pieces to help with a rebuild or at least have a better attitude to play for your team.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Because theoretically they could get a huge return for him instead of 4 first-round draft picks.

Detroit was offering Franzen/Filppula/Nyquist for Nash. It would not surprise me at all to see them put forth a similar offer for Weber in a year.

No, because then you will have a disgruntled player who most likely will start to not care and then you pretty much have a couple million dollar paper weight per say. When you could trade him for new pieces to help with a rebuild or at least have a better attitude to play for your team.
If he becomes disgruntled he will become it, NTC or not. The fact that there isn't a NTC is what will help them to get some real assets back if he demands a trade. Half the reason that the return have been so bad on stars that demanded a trade lately is that they had a short list of places where they would go.

Because theoretically they could get a huge return for him instead of 4 first-round draft picks.

Detroit was offering Franzen/Filppula/Nyquist for Nash. It would not surprise me at all to see them put forth a similar offer for Weber in a year.

What does this have to do with giving him a NTC?

If he becomes disgruntled he will become it, NTC or not. The fact that there isn't a NTC is what will help them to get some real assets back if he demands a trade. Half the reason that the return have been so bad on stars that demanded a trade lately is that they had a short list of places where they would go.

What does this have to do with giving him a NTC?

I was talking about him having to suck it up and play.

Socreges

Banned
I think an NTC will have a huge affect on his attitude. If I'm playing for a team and have just signed a 14-year contract, I'd like to have that assurance that I can pick if, when and where I'm traded.

Cross post from the bar prep thread:

So on the Weber thing:

I'm sitting in the test room at the end of it today and they give us directions on how to connect to the internet and upload our answers. I haven't been online all day so I figure I'll check TSN to see whatsup. The room is pretty quiet when I see the headline and just instinctively blurt out rather loudly "GODDAMNIT!" Then I got a bunch of awkward stares, finished uploading, and left. I wore a Flyers t-shirt for good luck today too!

Shitty shitty day.

I hope you're happy sef!

Cross post from the bar prep thread:

So on the Weber thing:

I'm sitting in the test room at the end of it today and they give us directions on how to connect to the internet and upload our answers. I haven't been online all day so I figure I'll check TSN to see whatsup. The room is pretty quiet when I see the headline and just instinctively blurt out rather loudly "GODDAMNIT!" Then I got a bunch of awkward stares, finished uploading, and left. I wore a Flyers t-shirt for good luck today too!

Shitty shitty day.

I hope you're happy sef!

Hope you did well on the bar, but haha :)

Top Bottom