• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

cube444

6lyYp.jpg

"Yep, that's right babe. I'm still collecting money from the Leafs."

lol bruce. I woke up, rolled over to my phone to load up the TSN app and see if Bobby Ryan has been traded or not and saw the match...

"GOD DAMMIT"

Went back to bed for another 10 minutes.

Get Weber out of the Western Conference already please.

happy for sef though

SHUT UP SEF

Quick

Banned
Pleasant lunch must be included in all contract negotiations, NHLPA demands.

"You know, I really liked the pleasant lunch I had with Vancouver, but they were coming on too strong. Philadelphia's pleasant lunch was pleasant, too. Montreal's pleasant lunch was pretty good, but too many French people. I really did enjoy all those pleasant lunches."

"You know, I really liked the pleasant lunch I had with Vancouver, but they were coming on too strong. Philadelphia's pleasant lunch was pleasant, too. Montreal's pleasant lunch was pretty good, but too many French people. I really did enjoy all those pleasant lunches."

Doan saddened that 'pleasant lunch' with Rangers did not include Rick Nash discussions; Rangers out of Doan sweepstakes

MPW

still can't understand how rangers got nash for so little

also found a way to trade gomez

i wish he was habs gm (yeah, i said it)

55775602_display_image.jpg

CREMSteve

Have many times have the Rangers been burned by going out and acquiring the highest priced talent? It rarely works, and they finally had a winning formula going there, why they felt the need to mess with it is beyond me. Slight tinkering, sure, but this is a major move.

Either way, NYR got the better player, but I think Columbus is the better "team" after the trade.

cube444

Have many times have the Rangers been burned by going out and acquiring the highest priced talent? It rarely works, and they finally had a winning formula going there, why they felt the need to mess with it is beyond me. Slight tinkering, sure, but this is a major move.

Either way, NYR got the better player, but I think Columbus is the better "team" after the trade.

They'll be a better team when they finish 30th overall again next season and lose out on the #1 overall pick.

Howson should be fired.

Rangers are the favorite now to win the cup if there is a season. Nash is exactly what they needed.

You're not very good at, uh, "Analysis".

Trading expendable parts for a star
Signing a guy who has scored over 100 goals in his first three years (Gaborik)
Signing a guy who had brought the team overall to another level (Richards)

Apparently all these things are bad?

It's not 2007 anymore dude. I'd worry more about the the aimless, going nowhere flames than the Rangers if I were you.

Quick

Banned
lol KingHenrik.

Rick Nash should help the Rangers next season, especially in the playoffs where they were constantly pushed to a full 7 games with very tight goal differentials, eventually losing to the Devils in 6.

iLLmAtlc

You're not very good at, uh, "Analysis".

Trading expendable parts for a star
Signing a guy who has scored over 100 goals in his first three years (Gaborik)
Signing a guy who had brought the team overall to another level (Richards).

C'mon now one of those is currently not like the others. Paying Richards 12 million to score 66 points can't be considered a success right? To me New York took those big steps forward mainly because of the defensive system this year and had very little to do with Richards. This is highlighted by the fact that they actually scored fewer goals this year than they did last (226 vs 230).

RC

Banned
Late to the news, but we should've expected Nashville to match. Only way that team could stay relevant. Sorry Sef.

C'mon now one of those is currently not like the others. Paying Richards 12 million to score 66 points can't be considered a success right? To me New York took those big steps forward mainly because of the defensive system this year and had very little to do with Richards. This is highlighted by the fact that they actually scored fewer goals this year than they did last (226 vs 230).

Intangibles man. Intangibles

Bringing in Richards has helped with the renewed success of MDZ, growth of Stepan, and the rest of our young kids. He also scored a ton of big goals.

And he was a beast in the playoffs, the only part of the season that really matters.

Richards has been worth every penny

Intangibles man. Intangibles

Bringing in Richards has helped with the renewed success of MDZ, growth of Stepan, and the rest of our young kids. He also scored a ton of big goals.

And he was a beast in the playoffs, the only part of the season that really matters.

Richards has been worth every penny

This is known as the "Briere Method" of calculating value.

You guys need a home for gifted youngsters... Except don't do it because we did it first and fuck the Rangers. Also, there's a possibility (still being researched) that this only works with French Canadians.

This is known as the "Briere Method" of calculating value.

You guys need a home for gifted youngsters... Except don't do it because we did it first and fuck the Rangers. Also, there's a possibility (still being researched) that this only works with French Canadians.

Well Brad and MDZ live in the same building. Not exactly Couterier and Giroux living with Briere but sorta haha

Stasis

Still a couple of pieces missing on the Rangers really, though they're definitely a contender.

Another 3rd pairing D, preferably a RH with decent physicality. Sauer is that guy, but we have no real idea what's gonna happen with him yet. I'd like to see another 3C because I'm not all that happy going into the season with a tandem of Boyle/Halpern for that position, but I can't really see who now. I was kinda hoping they'd get a guy like Colin Wilson, especially at what he signed for.

That said, I'd love to see Doan sign a 2x5.5 (or similar) with us more than anything, because as happy as I am that we got Nash for what we did, and as much as I think he really will do well with us, I think a guy like Doan does a lot also. The two of them together added to this roster would be fantastic. Then pray for a relatively injury-free season like last year, a healthy Sauer returning and playing to pre-concussion form, along with the expected natural progression of Kreider and Hagelin... and well, that's a lot to ask =)

Still a couple of pieces missing on the Rangers really, though they're definitely a contender.

Another 3rd pairing D, preferably a RH with decent physicality. Sauer is that guy, but we have no real idea what's gonna happen with him yet. I'd like to see another 3C because I'm not all that happy going into the season with a tandem of Boyle/Halpern for that position, but I can't really see who now. I was kinda hoping they'd get a guy like Colin Wilson, especially at what he signed for.

That said, I'd love to see Doan sign a 2x5.5 (or similar) with us more than anything, because as happy as I am that we got Nash for what we did, and as much as I think he really will do well with us, I think a guy like Doan does a lot also. The two of them together added to this roster would be fantastic. Then pray for a relatively injury-free season like last year, a healthy Sauer returning and playing to pre-concussion form, along with the expected natural progression of Kreider and Hagelin... and well, that's a lot to ask =)

I'm with you on another D, but they can always pick that guy up midseason/trade deadline if nothing comes from it in the offseason. I think Doan is a real possibility. I'm fine with Boyle as 3rd line C. He's great on faceoffs and he's great defensively.

Stasis

I'm with you on another D, but they can always pick that guy up midseason/trade deadline if nothing comes from it in the offseason. I think Doan is a real possibility. I'm fine with Boyle as 3rd line C. He's great on faceoffs and he's great defensively.

Agreed. I'm a Boyle fan actually, I love the guy. I also know Halpern is a good faceoff guy and I watched him do pretty well for the Habs 2 years back (I'm from NYC, and currently living in Montreal). I just think the best scenario is to have another center... a depth guy, and rotate him and Boyle in and out of that position. It's also worth noting that Halpern is often injured and hasn't played a full year in quite some time. But you're also correct in that we can wait until mid-season.

Some of our issue last year was depth, along with the obvious PP and scoring inconsistency, and that was with a pretty great year injury-wise. I'm just afraid of us getting hit by injuries to a few key players and not having the depth to ride it out.

ShaneB

I'm not sure if I'm glad the Preds matched Weber, but it certainly would've been dire for the franchise.

Hate saying that if a lockout solves these ridiculous contracts, I'd be all for it. :(

Parch

still can't understand how rangers got nash for so little
Trade demand, short list and big cap hit means disadvantage seller. I'd bet that this offer was made months ago but Columbus was hoping for Nash to add teams to maybe get more or at least force more from NY.

Socreges

Banned
That said, I'd love to see Doan sign a 2x5.5 (or similar) with us more than anything, because as happy as I am that we got Nash for what we did, and as much as I think he really will do well with us, I think a guy like Doan does a lot also. The two of them together added to this roster would be fantastic.
Doan will probably get at least four years from someone.

Trade demand, short list and big cap hit means disadvantage seller. I'd bet that this offer was made months ago but Columbus was hoping for Nash to add teams to maybe get more or at least force more from NY.

Yeah, Columbus beat writer said they approached him again over this past weekend and he still refused to expand.

Socreges

Banned
The Flyers, lots of cap room plus they are looking to add someone after what happened with Weber.
Maybe. I'd like him to sign with the Canucks since he'd be a great fit in our top six, but I think Holmgren would be more willing than Gillis to give Doan the contract that he wants. Personally I wouldn't want the Canucks giving him 4x6M or anything like that.

lupinko

Maybe. I'd like him to sign with the Canucks since he'd be a great fit in our top six, but I think Holmgren would be more willing than Gillis to give Doan the contract that he wants. Personally I wouldn't want the Canucks giving him 4x6M or anything like that.

PLC4W.jpg

Four years. $10m, $10m, $3m, $1m.

And I hope they're working on a trade for Yandle.

Don't really like that deal... He's over 35. We have to take the hit even if he retires.

I'd LOVE Yandle, and him and Doan together would be amazing, but I'm scared of what that asking price would be. If we signed Doan I'd be willing to do Read, Gus, and a 1st (maybe two), but not much more than that and I don't think that gets you Yandle.

Socreges

Banned
$6M cap hit at the age of 39? I think his game is going to really begin to deteriorate over the next few seasons, as happens with almost all forwards not named Teemu.

Just came across this: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/24/doan-gives-coyotes-another-deadline
Shane Doan has laid down another deadline, this time one directed at the Phoenix Coyotes.

According to the Phoenix Business Journal, Doan has given prospective Coyotes owner Greg Jamison until Friday to make progress or get close to finalizing the sale of the NHL-owner team. If that doesn't happen, the unrestricted free agent will likely take his services elsewhere.

Doan has visited with the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers in an effort to get a feel for the market in case the sale of the Coyotes to Jamison falls through, according to his agent, Terry Bross.

"When we get the news, whether it's good or bad, at least we'll be prepared," Bross told USA Today. "Otherwise we'll have to take a week to make a decision. If we find out it doesn't happen, then we're behind the eight-ball trying to go visit teams and make a decision.

"Let's get them out of the way now. If it works (with the Coyotes), great. If it doesn't, we've got a feel for the other places."

Doan is planning a visit to the Montreal Canadiens next week, according to TVA Sports.

Top Bottom