• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Tabris

The Dark Knight is the best "comic book hero" movie of all time and that's because you could take the comic book hero part out of it and it would just be a fantastic suspense/crime drama.

I find most comic book movies pretty bad. Iron Man was pretty good, and Avengers was good due to Joss Whedon's dialogue, not the story or characters. Most everything else was garbage (Captain America, Iron Man 2, Hulk, and the worst of them, Thor).

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Thor was good for what it is, Captain America is just 10 different types of fucking awful, and anyone who thinks otherwise is dead to me.

Couldn't finish Thor, fell asleep during Captain America, don't care to see the Avengers, and as much as I do enjoy the Batman movies, they are incredibly overrated.

Red_Man

Cap wasn't that bad. Took way too long for shit to get going though.
I haven't read any comics or anything so the movie was my first introduction to the Captain America universe, and it didn't leave a great impression on me, although he was a lot better in Avengers.

Couldn't finish Thor, fell asleep during Captain America, don't care to see the Avengers, and as much as I do enjoy the Batman movies, they are incredibly overrated.
Avengers is a shit ton of fun.

Wow what's wrong with TDK ?

I friggin' love it, it's not as fun watching again as you know all the twists but it's one of the few comic films that isn't filmed Michael Bay style with lots of FX, bad CG and explosions galore. Just plain awesome.

BB is awesome as well, I just can't quite take Liam Neeson seriously in it.

Captain America was pretty awesome, I came in expecting it to be like the 1990 version, dragged on a bit but it was great.

Red_Man

Captain America was pretty awesome, I came in expecting it to be like the 1990 version, dragged on a bit but it was great.
cop-out-nope.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I loved Captain America. Way better than Thor.

I agree that the only issue was the late-movie action was a bit lacking.

Fei

Captain America felt like there were two different directors for the first and second half. It was from origin to all action. Thor felt more like an action comedy. It was fine. Both were fine. Just pretty forgettable. Not sure how anyone would consider the recent Marvel's better than any of the Batman trilogy.

Haven't seen the Avengers yet, but I'll give it a shot.

Red_Man

I'm leaving for Detroit and then Montreal on Friday. Should be really fun, can't wait to get out of here for a while.
Jealous, I've been to Montreal for quick visits but nothing longer term, really want to spend a few weeks there. Didn't you say your gf lives in Montreal or is that someone else in NHL-Gaf?

Acid08

Banned
Jealous, I've been to Montreal for quick visits but nothing longer term, really want to spend a few weeks there. Didn't you say your gf lives in Montreal or is that someone else in NHL-Gaf?

Must be someone else, no girlfriend.

I'm pretty excited, I think I'm gonna stop in Quebec City for a day as all.

I'm leaving for Detroit and then Montreal on Friday. Should be really fun, can't wait to get out of here for a while.

Detroit was just rated number 2 on the 2012 city murders list right behind Flint which was at number 1. Another great thing to happen to us during this offseason!! :/

Dang Holland needs to do something or I'm going to freak out.

Acid08

Banned
Detroit was just rated number 2 on the 2012 city murders list right behind Flint which was at number 1. Another great thing to happen to us during this offseason!! :/

I've been to Detroit many times during my life and it looks worse every time :/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It's terrible. People fault the Pistons for not putting an arena downtown but they really shouldn't.

Plinko

Hey, Holmstrom is still debating. There's still time for Holland to take this from a horrible offseason to the worst ever!

Which is sad because the surrounding areas are actually really nice along with a lot of areas north of Detroit and northern Michigan. Take Birmingham which is outside of Detroit, literally one of the fanciest cities I have ever seen, I took a detour through there coming back to work after getting lunch and I was blown away at how that nice of an area could be located so close to a sucky area.

Red_Man

Cousin's wedding this weekend. Following weekend my gf's parents meet my parents at a camping site over two nights.

Not sure during which weekend I'll be drinking most.
:lol second scenario sounds like a rom com movie set up.

On a random note, my gf was crying on the bus today and some stranger came and gave her $200 and left, wasn't really sure what to think of that when I heard it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
:lol second scenario sounds like a rom com movie set up.

On a random note, my gf was crying on the bus today and some stranger came and gave her $200 and left, wasn't really sure what to think of that when I heard it.

Uhm... How... wat. You sure he "just left"? :D

On a question-related note, I just came back from a few beers with a friend I hadn't seen since Primary School (9 years ago). Rather remarkable, given that we both went to Primary School back home in Switzerland and just randomly ran into each other a few days ago and decided to hang out. He's leaving for back home on Saturday though, but that was fun.

Red_Man

Didn't get a job I applied for, but got a FWB instead. So I guess things evened out?

Still wanted that job though :(
I read FWB and thought "what kind of job is that....oh...wait.......oooohhhhhh"
N6hUr.gif

Although speaking for myself, FWB usually doesn't end well, women always get too attached.
Uhm... How... wat. You sure he "just left"? :D

On a question-related note, I just came back from a few beers with a friend I hadn't seen since Primary School (9 years ago). Rather remarkable, given that we both went to Primary School back home in Switzerland and just randomly ran into each other a few days ago and decided to hang out. He's leaving for back home on Saturday though, but that was fun.
Haha yea I asked about that, pretty random....

Socrege's needs to do a Cake Boss rendition of your story since you've been drinking.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Socrege's needs to do a Cake Boss rendition of your story since you've been drinking.

I had 2 beer, that hardly counts. I'm nowhere near Cake Boss. Heck, when I was ridiculously drunk a few weeks ago and posted, my spelling was still alright. And I don't even use autocorrect. AND I'm ESL. On the other hand, I'm not 15 like Cake Boss...

It's a bit unfair though, he can't even respond to these comments, makes it slightly less fun.

Also, I mentioned this last time already, but we found a new gene. Huzzzah.

Red_Man

Anyone up for some Borderlands? I've got myself, Smiley and another friend in on it, we just need one more player.
Schuey's playing it right now, I have him on my friends list just so this isn't creepy :lol I saw it cheap at EBGames and was tempted to buy it.

Tabris

Sooo uhhh, how's everyone's life going and shit?..........

You ever have those moments where you stop for a moment and go "Man, life is good". Daily right now for me. I mean sure, it would be nice if work wasn't so crazy or Scarlett Johansson was my wife, but it's going really good :)

iLLmAtlc

Personally I'm finishing up my final semester of school and it's been a grind. After that I'm gonna take a year off to hopefully find some work and save up before starting law school. My goal's to get into UBC but it's been so damn competitive I'll probably end up taking my talents to south beach (UVic).

Top Bottom