• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Kosmo

Banned
If Lidstrom retires, he will be second in career playoff games with 263. Chelios has 266.

If the Wings had made the second round Lidstrom could've gotten the record.

Thanks Preds.

He's retiring for sure - greatest pure defenseman of all time IMO. For his career, he was a +511, including the playoffs - seriously, that's insane.

That being said - dat cap space. I think it's around $20M without Lidstrom. I wouldn't be surprised if Holmstrom is gone as well - he's been a warrior, but it's time to get younger.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He's retiring for sure - greatest pure defenseman of all time IMO. For his career, he was a +511, including the playoffs - seriously, that's insane.

That being said - dat cap space. I think it's around $20M without Lidstrom. I wouldn't be surprised if Holmstrom is gone as well - he's been a warrior, but it's time to get younger.

If Holland brings back Holmstrom I may not watch any games this year. There is absolutely no reason that guy should be back. He was absolutely awful last year and his legs are shot.

Vega

Damn, That's a lot of space. Gonna take a run at Suter I bet.

Kosmo

Banned
If Holland brings back Holmstrom I may not watch any games this year. There is absolutely no reason that guy should be back. He was absolutely awful last year and his legs are shot.

I don't think he's coming back. When asked Homer had made a decision a couple weeks ago, Holland said something to the effect of "The decision on if he's on the team next year is not entirely his."

I think Babcock wants some young blood - the vets have been great, but they need some studs in their 20's.

Damn, That's a lot of space. Gonna take a run at Suter I bet.

Suter for sure and rumors are Parise, but the Devils are fucking up by playing so well and if they win the Cup, I don't see how he leaves. Weber is a RFA, so they won't go after him and Nashville has a ton of space too - meaning I'm not sure Suter is that good of a bet.

Semin is another possibility, but all I can think of with him is this "fight": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRCpN4OMpM

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think he's coming back. When asked Homer had made a decision a couple weeks ago, Holland said something to the effect of "The decision on if he's on the team next year is not entirely his."

I think Babcock wants some young blood - the vets have been great, but they need some studs in their 20's.

Suter for sure and rumors are Parise, but the Devils are fucking up by playing so well and if they win the Cup, I don't see how he leaves. Weber is a RFA, so they won't go after him and Nashville has a ton of space too - meaning I'm not sure Suter is that good of a bet.

Semin is another possibility, but all I can think of with him is this "fight": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRCpN4OMpM
Yeah, with Parise going to the Finals, it throws a kink into the plan. If the Devils win the Cup, then why would he want to move? He's the captain of the team and he'll have his Cup. He can just re-sign a 10 year deal and retire a Devil. If they lose, he can say that since they got to the Finals with that team (and if Brodeur comes back) he'll want to give it another shot and not take the risk of jumping to another team.

Whatever the case, this is how I want to see next seasons lines play out...

Franzen/Datsyuk/Nyquist
Flip/Zetterberg/FA
Cleary/Emmerton/Bertuzzi
Miller/Helm/Eaves
Mursak/FA

FA/Kronwall
White/Quincey
Ericsson/Smith
Kindl

Howard
MacDonald/FA

I see Hudler and Stuart signing else where, Lidstrom and Holmstrom retiring, and I kinda hope Abdelkader doesn't re-sign. He's a dime a dozen 4th line player, Wings can just call up someone else like Tatar, Andersson, Brunnstrom, Connor, etc. They have plenty of Griffin players just itching to get a shot.

Yeah, with Parise going to the Finals, it throws a kink into the plan. If the Devils win the Cup, then why would he want to move? He's the captain of the team and he'll have his Cup. He can just re-sign a 10 year deal and retire a Devil. If they lose, he can say that since they got to the Finals with that team (and if Brodeur comes back) he'll want to give it another shot and not take the risk of jumping to another team.

Whatever the case, this is how I want to see next seasons lines play out...

Franzen/Datsyuk/Nyquist
Flip/Zetterberg/FA
Cleary/Emmerton/Bertuzzi
Miller/Helm/Eaves
Mursak/FA

FA/Kronwall
White/Quincey
Ericsson/Smith
Kindl

Howard
MacDonald/FA

I see Hudler and Stuart signing else where, Lidstrom and Holmstrom retiring, and I kinda hope Abdelkader doesn't re-sign. He's a dime a dozen 4th line player, Wings can just call up someone else like Tatar, Andersson, Brunnstrom, Connor, etc. They have plenty of Griffin players just itching to get a shot.

Would be nice to get Semin, Parise, and Suter if the cap goes up like they say, but yeah wishful thinking. We are either going to get screwed or very lucky this offseason, I see no inbetween for us.

You'll be lucky to get one of those guys.

Which is why I think we are screwed next season and this is it, we get Semin or Parise, our offense improves but our defense is lacking. We get Suter and we help out our D but we are stuck with the same weak offense from last year. So in other words, we are probably royally screwed.

Marvie_3

Banned
Suter goes to Detroit
Parise goes to Chicago
Semin goes to KHL

Book it.

Parise isn't going to Chicago.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them make a play for Suter though. Sounds like Montador is going to retire and if they deal Hjalmarsson, they'll have a need for a d-man and plenty of cap space to get one.

FOOTE

Not much to talk about on the Blues'.

Sounds like Armstrong is leaving the door open to Jackman.. as long as he signs for less money. I suppose I'd be fine with that, but I might have a meltdown if signing him hurts the chances of the Blues growing elsewhere on defense.

So far what I have gathered is that Cole would step in full time and take over Cola's spot, and the Blues could take or leave Jackman.

Offense is probably going to look the same unless they make trade, which is not out of the question. It's pretty obvious that Stewart would be a key piece to any trade the Blues make.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Today is the day :(

Goodbye, Lidstrom.

Plinko

OK, the NHL general managers are meeting and discussing possible rule changes for the future. One thing that is already being discussed is the reappearance of trap defenses that take the game down to a "soccer-style" game again with few scoring opportunities and odd-man rushes.

What would you guys do to increase those scoring opportunities? I've joked on here about widening the nets (which I think is ridiculous).

One thing I seriously think would help, though, is widen the rink itself and change it to international dimensions. It would open up the rink and, subsequently, reduce the ability for teams to trap at the line.

I would make the refs call penalties. If team A is trying to skate the puck into the offensive zone and team B (the Devils) use their sticks to slow down the offensive players without the puck I would call that every time. There is a reason the Devils were a much worse team in the regular season then the playoffs. The NHL lets teams get away with so much during the playoffs and it chokes the life out of the game. Whistle everything, teams will either adjust or get blown the fuck out.

Given the excellent feeder system the NHL has (AHL, NCAA, CHL, Euro leagues, etc), there wouldn't be a noticeable difference at all.

You're the only one that ever brings it up so it's yours now. :lol

It won't happen though. They don't make the hoop bigger, widen the goal posts, or move the endzones closer together in other sports. They won't widen the goal in the NHL. I'd rather see them shrink the size of the goalie equipment. Each goalie get to flop around on the ice with a couple of couches strapped to his shins.

I guarantee they move. Happy now?

The league doesn't own everything. For example, the group that owned the Thrashers still has the rights to the name/logo/etc.

Maybe they have exclusivity on that name if that group/city gets another team, but the NHL is still selling Thrashers stuff so at some level they have the rights to it.

Fei

I don't understand why we don't have some standard for smaller goaltender equipment yet. It seems like one of the biggest changes over the last 20 years, and one of the easiest to fix. Ryan Miller is rail thin in real life, but basically puts on a fat suit when playing goal.

Kosmo

Banned
Official - Lidstrom is retired and apparently moving back to Sweden this summer. Maybe I can get a deal on his house.

pringles

So sad watching this Lidstrom presser. Been dreading it for years..

There will never be another Lidstrom. To be so good for so long, almost never missing a game, almost never making a mistake.. I feel lucky to have been able to watch him for so long. Gonna feel weird without him, as long as I've been a Red Wings fan he's been there, holding the defense together.

Really not sure where the Wings will go after this. With the cap space they could possibly add Parise/Suter/Semin/etc. and they definitely need to acquire guys like that to make up for this loss. Holland has his work cut out for him.

Kosmo

Banned
So sad watching this Lidstrom presser. Been dreading it for years..

There will never be another Lidstrom. To be so good for so long, almost never missing a game, almost never making a mistake.. I feel lucky to have been able to watch him for so long. Gonna feel weird without him, as long as I've been a Red Wings fan he's been there, holding the defense together.

Really not sure where the Wings will go after this. With the cap space they could possibly add Parise/Suter/Semin/etc. and they definitely need to acquire guys like that to make up for this loss. Holland has his work cut out for him.

One thing that never disappoints, however, are Mike Ilitch's wigs:

bilde

Plinko

I don't understand why we don't have some standard for smaller goaltender equipment yet. It seems like one of the biggest changes over the last 20 years, and one of the easiest to fix. Ryan Miller is rail thin in real life, but basically puts on a fat suit when playing goal.

You can thank Patrick "Sumo suit" Roy for this.

fallout

Never been a fan of the Red Wings, but I think Lidstrom ranks as one of the classiest and most impressive players in the NHL. He'll be remembered as one of the all-time greats for a lot of reasons.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
yesyesyesyesyesyes

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

That guy would have fucking ruined the Habs. Poor Calgary.
Habs won't be in a better position with Crawford or Therrien coaching, which according to Bob Mackenzie that's who its down to. Fuck this shit, we're getting boned on a coach so bad.

Solo

At least we won't be an even more boring trap team than we were under Martin with Therrien, which we would have been under Hartley.

Marvie_3

Banned
OK, the NHL general managers are meeting and discussing possible rule changes for the future. One thing that is already being discussed is the reappearance of trap defenses that take the game down to a "soccer-style" game again with few scoring opportunities and odd-man rushes.

What would you guys do to increase those scoring opportunities? I've joked on here about widening the nets (which I think is ridiculous).

One thing I seriously think would help, though, is widen the rink itself and change it to international dimensions. It would open up the rink and, subsequently, reduce the ability for teams to trap at the line.
Won't happen. They can't just widen the surface at current arenas and it will be decades before each team will have a new arena that they could build an expanded ice sheet in. Not to mention, the larger ice surface would increase arena costs by a ton. Another bad idea from, Plinko. :p

What they need to do is get back to calling the obstruction calls on dump & chase plays. A few years ago, when a guy dumped the pucked in, you couldn't do anything to impede his skating. Now, you see guys do everything but bear hug the player to slow him down. Calling obstruction like it used to be called would allow teams to gain the zone, retrieve the puck, and set up some offensive chances easier.

I've been calling for this for awhile. Goalie pads should be there to protect the player, not his stats.

Never been a fan of the Red Wings, but I think Lidstrom ranks as one of the classiest and most impressive players in the NHL. He'll be remembered as one of the all-time greats for a lot of reasons.
Exactly. I hate the Wings but it's impossible not to love a player like Lidstrom. He always played well against the Blackhawks but it's sad to see him go.

Plinko

Won't happen. They can't just widen the surface at current arenas and it will be decades before each team will have a new arena that they could build an expanded ice sheet in. Not to mention, the larger ice surface would increase arena costs by a ton. Another bad idea from, Plinko. :p

Don't be a douche. I didn't say it would happen, I said it's what I'd do.

Top Bottom