• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

LOL :p

By definition alone adding ANY team to the league will water down the talent level. That's a fact. Let's face it--if these guys in the AHL and other leagues were good enough to be in the NHL right now, they'd be there. Don't act like the NHL doesn't have scouts anywhere and everywhere.
They don't though. There are too many leagues and not enough amateur scouts to properly go through all of them, especially in Europe. Really good European players go undrafted or very late in the draft all the time.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
They don't though. There are too many leagues and not enough amateur scouts to properly go through all of them, especially in Europe. Really good European players go undrafted or very late in the draft all the time.

Not only European players, just look at how many great talents were from later rounds. One more team with more scouts could've potentially grabbed those earlier, or would find other talents. I agree, one or two more teams wouldn't cause much watering down at all.

Hunter S.

Sort of glad Milan Hejduk will be back to Captain the Avs again. I doubt the team will pick up many talented veterans so perhaps Milan can help with his experience to raise the level of our young talent.

Marvie_3

Banned
LOL :p

By definition alone adding ANY team to the league will water down the talent level. That's a fact. Let's face it--if these guys in the AHL and other leagues were good enough to be in the NHL right now, they'd be there. Don't act like the NHL doesn't have scouts anywhere and everywhere.

I disagree. Sometimes players are kept down in the AHL for added development even though they're NHL ready. Chicago has several prospects down there for that reason. Sometimes there just isn't enough room on a roster or they're kept in the AHL for cap reasons.

I just realized that because of the short playoffs. I didn't have to suffer through FIVE DOLLAH FOOTLONGS and EAST SIDE MARIO BUNAKLDNSAJGNLDJALSDJLAKJDABALABABING.

Solo

Looks like Hartley will be the Habs' coach :/

Guess I'll give Bergie the benefit of the doubt, but based on Hartley's time in Atlanta, after an era of playing boring, defensive-systems-orientated hockey under Martin, the Habs are about to enter a new era of............................................ playing boring, defensive-systems-orientated hockey under Hartley.

Looks like Hartley will be the Habs' coach :/

Guess I'll give Bergie the benefit of the doubt, but based on Hartley's time in Atlanta, after an era of playing boring, defensive-systems-orientated hockey under Martin, the Habs are about to enter a new era of............................................ playing boring, defensive-systems-orientated hockey under Hartley.

Hartley is probably the best candidate out there considering the coach has to speak French.

Unless you think Marc Crawford is better ?

Solo

Hartley is probably the best candidate out there considering the coach has to speak French.

Unless you think Marc Crawford is better ?

No, Crawford was the worst choice of the final three. But I would have taken Therrien over Hartley any day, just as I would have taken Hartley over Crawford any day.

This is what requiring a bilingual coach does for you though. You get "options" like these three. It's basically choosing the lesser of evils rather than the best candidate.

No, Crawford was the worst choice of the final three. But I would have taken Therrien over Hartley any day, just as I would have taken Hartley over Crawford any day.

This is what requiring a bilingual coach does for you though. You get "options" like these three. It's basically choosing the lesser of evils rather than the best candidate.

Kind of awkward to hire a guy you fired a decade ago.

Kovalchuk didn't have any problems scoring under Hartley, and I think Hartley just won a championship in Switzerland in his 1st year there. I guess he can still win.

I thought the Habs would hire some rookie coach from the QMJHL or something.

Cactus

Banned
Damnit, Frattin is done for the playoffs. He's leading the AHL in playoff goal scoring, so that's a really big loss going into the finals.

So we have Frattin out for the series, Kadri unlikely to play, Zigomanis, Mueller, Ashton and Blacker still practising with no-contact jerseys, and Colborne playing injured.

Hopefully some of these guys get healthy soon, because it'll be a very short series if they don't.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Maybe, but I don't think that should be counted against him. That was different team and regime entirely.

Oh well, gotta deal with Hartley.
It's really weird, the last three days there were a large amount of reports saying Hartley was coming, and coming in this week, but in the past 24 hours there are a lot of questions about it including the GM of his team in Europe saying he isn't aware of this. Also a Montreal radio guy on twitter said Dudley has been talking to people lately, and they're down to 2-3 finalists. Best part is Hartley has been trending on twitter in Canada most of the day :lol :lol

Red_Man

Seems like it, Bergevein is at the Combine and GM Meetings all week, and it's not a huge hurry anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a guy no ones talking about right now.

Damnit, Frattin is done for the playoffs. He's leading the AHL in playoff goal scoring, so that's a really big loss going into the finals.

So we have Frattin out for the series, Kadri unlikely to play, Zigomanis, Mueller, Ashton and Blacker still practising with no-contact jerseys, and Colborne playing injured.

Hopefully some of these guys get healthy soon, because it'll be a very short series if they don't.

Damn hockey gods

Marvie_3

Banned
Is it too early to start the thread for next offseason? The way Bowman is going, the 'Hawks are going to be out of it by the time this offseason ends.

Marvie_3

Banned
KingHenrik, is that you?
Huge difference. If Chicago was 1st in the conference and making a run at a President's trophy and I was throwing a temper tantrum like a baby after every loss about how shitty they are, then you could make that comparison.

Me being pissed about a dumbass GM committing to players that shouldn't have been brought back is totally different.

Red_Man

Ron Wilson!

KJEm7.jpg

Fuck sakes.

Cake Boss

Banned
Any old Russians hitting UFA status ? That's probably what we'll get.

Not russian but ' good character vets' that Murray loves to overpay for so much such as Ray Whitney, Brian Rolston, Hedberg, Madden etc, plenty of these old farts for Murray to cream over on July1. The only player I wouldn't mind is Ray Whitney, still picking up 60-70points a season at 40, if Alfie doesn't come back this could be a good replacement.

Seriously I think realistically they will target PA Paranteau (local guy, still young, and was targeted during the deadline by the team) and David Jones on forwards.

For D I hope they go after Garrison, Jackman and Allen.

Marvie_3

Banned
Not russian but ' good character vets' that Murray loves to overpay for so much such as Ray Whitney, Brian Rolston, Hedberg, Madden etc, plenty of these old farts for Murray to cream over on July1. The only player I wouldn't mind is Ray Whitney, still picking up 60-70points a season at 40, if Alfie doesn't come back this could be a good replacement.

Seriously I think realistically they will target PA Paranteau (local guy, still young, and was targeted during the deadline by the team) and David Jones on forwards.

For D I hope they go after Garrison, Jackman and Allen.
All 3 of those guys are going to get overpaid by a ton. Garrison will re-sign in Florida though.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Booooooo-urns on Lidstrom hanging em up, but it had to happen some time. Wings now have 20.2 mil in cap space. I'm sure this will mean Holmstrom will retire as well, Stuart is leaving for the west coast, and Hudler will get overpaid to play somewhere else.

Wings will need to re-sign Helm, Quincey, and I guess Abdelkader, but I wouldn't be mad if he decided to sign somewhere else.

Time for Kenny to open up that fat wallet and get us some Suter/Parise/Semin YEEEEEAAAAHHHH!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Booooooo-urns on Lidstrom hanging em up, but it had to happen some time. Wings now have 20.2 mil in cap space. I'm sure this will mean Holmstrom will retire as well, Stuart is leaving for the west coast, and Hudler will get overpaid to play somewhere else.

Wings will need to re-sign Helm, Quincey, and I guess Abdelkader, but I wouldn't be mad if he decided to sign somewhere else.

Time for Kenny to open up that fat wallet and get us some Suter/Parise/Semin YEEEEEAAAAHHHH!

So jealous of all that cap space :(

Erdrick

Is it official that he is retiring? I can see it, but that is for certain what it will be about tomorrow morning at the conference? I was thinking maybe he was going to make the announcement that he would play another year, but...

Ah well, One of the greats from my youth hangs up the skates, yet again, if this is true. At least the Wings can bring in some new blood, as last year proved, especially in the playoffs, that they need to make some changes to keep relevant.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is it official that he is retiring? I can see it, but that is for certain what it will be about tomorrow morning at the conference? I was thinking maybe he was going to make the announcement that he would play another year, but...

Ah well, One of the greats from my youth hangs up the skates, yet again, if this is true. At least the Wings can bring in some new blood, as last year proved, especially in the playoffs, that they need to make some changes to keep relevant.

Lidstrom just doesn't seem to be the type of guy to call a press conference to announce he re-signed his contract. I'd say 99% chance he retires.

Sad times, but also the time for change.

If Lidstrom retires, he will be second in career playoff games with 263. Chelios has 266.

If the Wings had made the second round Lidstrom could've gotten the record.

Thanks Preds.

Top Bottom