• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
NHL is going to ask a lot and NHLPA is willing to stand their ground

NHL holds Olympics as their trump

NHLPA holds restructuring as their trump

NHLPA will be fighting for relocation of poor teams, or expansion to cities with better potential fanbases, fighting the escrow, potentially demand more NHLPA involvement in NHL related activities... As well as making sure money from expansion or relocation fees are clearly defined as hockey related revenue within the CBA... Also likely to demand the inability to bury contracts.. NHLPA will likely request greater revenue sharing so teams in bad markets can reach more reasonable salary numbers

NHL will want more percentage of revenue, demand contract limits and closing of some loopholes

I think more money will go towards the NHL in the end, probably between 53-55%, but escrow will disappear

NHLPA will be doing most of the fighting as you can see... NHL issues are not many so look for the NHL to give up more than the PA this time around

Considering the amount of demands, there is a possibility that the season will be shortened by some extent

NHL has already filed notice that they're opting out. Lockout coming up!

Lockout is unlikely, players strike is more likely.

Marvie_3

Banned
That's what I was afraid of. I guess we won't hear much about it until after the Finals.

NHL and NHLPA have said they won't begin negotiating until after the season. Plus, with Fehr as the head of the NHLPA now, its going to get ugly.

I still say expansion is proposed in exchange for a lower %.

Tampering is such bullshit. It happens in every sport yet for some reason one or two cases get made into a big deal. How the fuck do players sign as soon as free agency is open? Do people really think they make decisions that are going to affect their life and families in 30 minutes?

Lock athletes in giant cages I say! Removed only to play games.

Marvie_3

Banned
NHLPA will be fighting for relocation of poor teams, or expansion to cities with better potential fanbases, fighting the escrow, potentially demand more NHLPA involvement in NHL related activities...
NHLPA can't do anything to change the leases some teams currently have.

As well as making sure money from expansion or relocation fees are clearly defined as hockey related revenue within the CBA...
This will not happen.

Also likely to demand the inability to bury contracts..
No they wont. If NHL teams can't bury large contracts then fewer players are going to get them. The NHLPA doesn't care where Wade Redden plays as long as he's getting his $6M. Plus, if Redden is making $6M in the AHL, there's $6M in free cap space in the NHL for other players.

NHLPA will likely request greater revenue sharing so teams in bad markets can reach more reasonable salary numbers

NHL will want more percentage of revenue, demand contract limits and closing of some loopholes

I think more money will go towards the NHL in the end, probably between 53-55%, but escrow will disappear

NHLPA will be doing most of the fighting as you can see... NHL issues are not many so look for the NHL to give up more than the PA this time around

Considering the amount of demands, there is a possibility that the season will be shortened by some extent
This will probably all happen but the NHLPA will end up at around 50% of revenues. Expansion talks will happen and probably be promised as part of an exchange for a lower percent.

Lockout is unlikely, players strike is more likely.
If there was going to be a strike, the NHLPA would have opted out, not the NHL. There will be a lockout.

DopeyFish

I still say the best thing the NHLPA can do is:

Allow a 50 percent split but ONLY IF complete revenue sharing is installed and the cap floor rises and becomes a mandatory minimum any unspent money gets evenly divided between NHLPA members that participated in minimum 20 games current year

Fight for non-gate revenue but have it deferred to over 5-10 years (or in the case of contracts, over the exact length of the contract)

at 50%, that is 56.4 million per team... Average spend last year... $55 million.

See... Cost control is one thing cap is 57% of revenue but the players don't see 57% anyways, have to fight for salary certainty on top of cost certainty

Complete revenue sharing would be ground breaking in such a way that it would ensure the players get their money but would make every NHL team profitable.

Marvie_3

Banned
Watered down talent base? Sign me up!

Please......this isn't the NBA. Given the fact that there's a #6 and a #8 seed in the finals show that there is a very good spread of talented players. 2 more teams wouldn't hurt anything.

I still say the best thing the NHLPA can do is:

Allow a 50 percent split but ONLY IF complete revenue sharing is installed and the cap floor rises and becomes a mandatory minimum any unspent money gets evenly divided between NHLPA members that participated in minimum 20 games current year

Fight for non-gate revenue but have it deferred to over 5-10 years (or in the case of contracts, over the exact length of the contract)

at 50%, that is 56.4 million per team... Average spend last year... $55 million.

See... Cost control is one thing cap is 57% of revenue but the players don't see 57% anyways, have to fight for salary certainty on top of cost certainty

Complete revenue sharing would be ground breaking in such a way that it would ensure the players get their money but would make every NHL team profitable.
Complete revenue sharing would help the lower revenue teams in the NHL but it will NEVER happen. Plinko's terrible idea of bigger goals will happen before that.

DopeyFish

Please......this isn't the NBA. Given the fact that there's a #6 and a #8 seed in the finals show that there is a very good spread of talented players. 2 more teams wouldn't hurt anything.

Complete revenue sharing would help the lower revenue teams in the NHL but it will NEVER happen. Plinko's terrible idea of bigger goals will happen before that.

It may never happen... But in theory it would start a snowball effect that could push the NHL upwards into potentially the realm of NFL popularity

Why?

Well sure, rangers, canadiens and leafs will be completely pissed off as they account for a huge portion of league revenue... But there are reasons for that.

If it happened, everyone would want to own an NHL team. -everyone- simply because profitiability will be guaranteed. It will make all teams to be able to spend to max, meaning higher excitement in struggling cities

It shifts the focus from financial problems (can kill fanbases, see: Atlanta, Ottawa (in recovery), new York islanders, new jersey, Dallas, Columbus, Tampa (in recovery)) and entirely to the product on the ice. Fans can handle their team sucking. But sucking because of things occurring off the ice more focuses their disdain towards the team itself and not to the players inability to achieve success. Not being able to afford a player because they are "small market" is not what the average fan wants to hear. You may see this effect occur in Nashville in a short time.

Because more people wanting NHL teams, you end up getting more powerful people involved (not Matthew fucking hulsizer), especially in the states... Which leads to more exposure... Which leads to more money being thrown at teams for purchasing... Which can lead to bidding wars... Which escalates interest which stabilizes ticket prices... Which leads to higher revenue which leads to more advertising (on behalf of the teams) which leads to TV numbers rising which leads to more network competition and it goes on and on and on

Attendance and revenue is not totally bound by success, but moreso on the image of the team. You look at the fundamentals of why the the teams at the top of revenue chain are achieving the success they are... Sure, where the team resides is one reason, but stability is probably just as big of a factor. Stability and Parity.

You get rid of anything negative related to business and revolve all discussion entirely around the game and good things can and will happen... Just as an example... Coyotes made the conference finals.. But they still can't even get anywhere close to the TV numbers the Phoenix area had for the gold medal game US vs Canada (it was like a 40 rating)

Marvie_3

Banned
I don't disagree with you that it would be good for the league, but it still won't happen. The NHL will never be as popular as the NFL either.

DopeyFish

I don't disagree with you that it would be good for the league, but it still won't happen. The NHL will never be as popular as the NFL either.

It is possible, just incredibly unlikely. Needs a perfect storm of events to occur (including burying financial problems like I suggested) and by NFL realm... I mean in the same ballpark.. Where

You make your teams invincible and the fans will not question their loyalty. The more types of fans you get like this, the greater chance it will grow. Ownership or financial issues force fans to imagine the possibility of that team not existing then just outright stop giving a fuck...

Make every team a source of hope. NFL, for example, is about to fix this issue with their hard floor... Unless you're a Cincinnati fan. (example of ownership killing fan support)

Oh and pre TV revenue of NHL vs NFL... NHL actually earns more across merchandising, ticket sales and whatnot... NHL TV revenue is under $500 million (Canadian networks are paying roughly half the contract worth)... NFL TV revenue is more than NHL revenue total

It's all because of the TV contracts, really. Take that away and the NHL would actually be the highest revenue league in america... Weird.

Marvie_3

Banned
It is possible, just incredibly unlikely. Needs a perfect storm of events to occur (including burying financial problems like I suggested) and by NFL realm... I mean in the same ballpark.. Where

You make your teams invincible and the fans will not question their loyalty. The more types of fans you get like this, the greater chance it will grow. Ownership or financial issues force fans to imagine the possibility of that team not existing then just outright stop giving a fuck...

Make every team a source of hope. NFL, for example, is about to fix this issue with their hard floor... Unless you're a Cincinnati fan. (example of ownership killing fan support)

Oh and pre TV revenue of NHL vs NFL... NHL actually earns more across merchandising, ticket sales and whatnot... NHL TV revenue is under $500 million (Canadian networks are paying roughly half the contract worth)... NFL TV revenue is more than NHL revenue total

It's all because of the TV contracts, really. Take that away and the NHL would actually be the highest revenue league in america... Weird.
lolno Cities like Miami, Atlanta, and Phoenix will always be shitty sports markets.

DopeyFish

lolno Cities like Miami, Atlanta, and Phoenix will always be shitty sports markets.

All 3 are riddled with failure combined with terrible ownership problem

Need I remind you the support Chicago Blackhawks received a decade ago when they had both of those problems?

Solo

what is so special about him?

He's the least Martin/Cunneyworth-esque of the three, he actually has some passion, and get coached a team of young talent to within 2 wins of the Cup.

Nothing "special" but he's the best choice of those three.

NHL has already filed notice that they're opting out. Lockout coming up!

Isn't that just standard procedure ? if they didn't do that, the current CBA would be extended for another year.

Even though Fehr is bad news, I find it hard to believe both parties are stupid enough to cause another lockout.

They'll figure something out and compromise

Marvie_3

Banned
Isn't that just standard procedure ? if they didn't do that, the current CBA would be extended for another year.

Even though Fehr is bad news, I find it hard to believe both parties are stupid enough to cause another lockout.

They'll figure something out and compromise
You're way too optimistic.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

1. Yes, adding 40-50 more active players into the league will actually water down the talent level. I don't see how anybody could argue against that.

2. The idea of bigger goals isn't my "terrible idea." I don't want it to happen. I've jokingly brought it up in the past but never seriously. I just think that if the league doesn't do anything about the trap, they'll just widen the goals as that has been talked about for a couple years now.

3. Still waiting on your guarantee of the Coyotes moving.

Not if the NHL doesn't apply for control of them. This is news to me though. I wasn't aware that the Nordiques name/trademarks were ever given up by the Avs..

After the Whalers trademark fiasco (and also the whole Coyotes bankruptcy thing) I think the NHL locked down on the league pretty much owning *everything* and the owners of each team are now just shareholders in the league as a whole. Bettman has also stated publicly that the league owns the Nordiques name.

You're way too optimistic.

Perhaps but I am sure both sides know how disastrous another lockout would be. There's bargaining chips on both sides.

I think we'll have a shortened season but I doubt there'll be a lockout, both sides would lose too much.

The gap between the 2 sides was much bigger in the last CBA negotiation where implementing a salary cap was a huge dealbreaker. NHLPA caved in and it seems like a loss for them but the players have it pretty good now with the ever rising salary cap and floor and they got UFA status moved down to age 27.

NHLPA is full of shit if they say the last few years have been terrible for them. If the NHL didn't file to end the current CBA they'd have been more than happy to continue with the current one.

2. The idea of bigger goals isn't my "terrible idea." I don't want it to happen. I've jokingly brought it up in the past but never seriously. I just think that if the league doesn't do anything about the trap, they'll just widen the goals as that has been talked about for a couple years now.

If the NHL wants to increase goal scoring they should just shrink the size of the goalie equipment. It's ridiculous how much of the net they take up.

Marvie_3

Banned
1. Yes, adding 40-50 more active players into the league will actually water down the talent level. I don't see how anybody could argue against that.
Given the excellent feeder system the NHL has (AHL, NCAA, CHL, Euro leagues, etc), there wouldn't be a noticeable difference at all.

You're the only one that ever brings it up so it's yours now. :lol

It won't happen though. They don't make the hoop bigger, widen the goal posts, or move the endzones closer together in other sports. They won't widen the goal in the NHL. I'd rather see them shrink the size of the goalie equipment. Each goalie get to flop around on the ice with a couple of couches strapped to his shins.

3. Still waiting on your guarantee of the Coyotes moving.
I guarantee they move. Happy now?

After the Whalers trademark fiasco (and also the whole Coyotes bankruptcy thing) I think the NHL locked down on the league pretty much owning *everything* and the owners of each team are now just shareholders in the league as a whole. Bettman has also stated publicly that the league owns the Nordiques name.
The league doesn't own everything. For example, the group that owned the Thrashers still has the rights to the name/logo/etc.

Marvie_3

Banned
Perhaps but I am sure both sides know how disastrous another lockout would be. There's bargaining chips on both sides.

I think we'll have a shortened season but I doubt there'll be a lockout, both sides would lose too much.
This makes no sense. You can't have a shortened season without a lockout. :lol

The gap between the 2 sides was much bigger in the last CBA negotiation where implementing a salary cap was a huge dealbreaker. NHLPA caved in and it seems like a loss for them but the players have it pretty good now with the ever rising salary cap and floor and they got UFA status moved down to age 27.

NHLPA is full of shit if they say the last few years have been terrible for them. If the NHL didn't file to end the current CBA they'd have been more than happy to continue with the current one.
Exactly. Despite the salary cap implementation, the NHLPA did pretty well last time. The cap floor alone has made millions for players.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guarantee they move. Happy now?

Bah. You know what I meant! I guess it should be restated as "Waiting for the Coyotes to move this offseason so your guarantee comes true."

Plinko

If the NHL wants to increase goal scoring they should just shrink the size of the goalie equipment. It's ridiculous how much of the net they take up.

YES. Now this is a plan I'd seriously get behind.

Solo

Habs name Scott Mellanby director of player personnel. Bergervin's re-tooling continues! Another very savvy move.

It remains to be seen how he fares with player acquisition/trades/drafting, but so far I am really loving his personnel moves.

There will be no work stoppage as Bettman would say. He's going to add two teams, the Halifax Sundaes and the Toronto Toos. And blacklist Tortorella from the league and banish him to coach for the PEI Rocket, ruining many peoples self-esteem in Atlantic time zone.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
QMJHL commissioner Gilles Courteau said the Habs HC should be announced this week, and a lot of different people on twitter are saying the same thing and saying it will be Hartley, while others have said they're waiting till the SC Finals end. Hartley was involved with the Cataraces as well.

Solo

Bergevin would have to have balls of steal to replace Martin with Martin 2.0.

Still pulling for Therrien out of those pathetic "options".

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
He's won at every level and just helped the Shawinigan Cataractes pull a huge upset victory to win the Memorial Cup, I'll be fine with him coming in considering the options.

Socreges

Banned
So did the water boy. Kept them hydrated throughout. Would make a fine addition to the Habs organization, I suppose.

Seems like it's going to be Hartley tbh, and at least he's won at every level he's coached. I trust Bergevin at this point with any decision he makes until he proves me wrong.
Wouldn't it be wise to wait until he's done something to earn that trust?

Habs name Scott Mellanby director of player personnel. Bergervin's re-tooling continues! Another very savvy move.

It remains to be seen how he fares with player acquisition/trades/drafting, but so far I am really loving his personnel moves.
Motherfucker.

Mellanby is great guy though. Hope he does well there. GOAT Panther. I was hoping he would return home to FLA.

Solo

Yeah, between the additions of Bergevin, Dudley, Mellanby and the retention of Timmins and Carrierre, the Habs are really strengthening their management team. Fucking finally. Nice to no longer have an old boys club running (read: ruining) the show, and even better to have them replaced by some fresh and exciting hockey people.

Now please don't go and fuck it up and hire a plug like Hartley.

Given the excellent feeder system the NHL has (AHL, NCAA, CHL, Euro leagues, etc), there wouldn't be a noticeable difference at all.
I agree with this. I don't think there would be a watering down of talent in this league at all. Considering how much NHL talent is being grabbed undrafted, and how many various leagues still remained largely undertapped by scouting, adding two more teams could potentially expand the talent pool with more players being drafted and more scouts being sent out.

Marvie_3

Banned
I agree with this. I don't think there would be a watering down of talent in this league at all. Considering how much NHL talent is being grabbed undrafted, and how man various leagues still remained largely undertapped by scouting, adding two more teams could potentially expand the talent pool with more players being drafted and more scouts being sent out.

My man. In your face Plinko!

Plinko

My man. In your face Plinko!

LOL :p

By definition alone adding ANY team to the league will water down the talent level. That's a fact. Let's face it--if these guys in the AHL and other leagues were good enough to be in the NHL right now, they'd be there. Don't act like the NHL doesn't have scouts anywhere and everywhere.

Top Bottom