• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Narrower leg pads on goalies, and require that they be worn snugly to the player's leg, would be a huge improvement.

I'm not opposed to making the nets slightly wider and slightly taller, like an inch or so across.

And call obstruction again.

edit:

Luongo? D:

Marvie_3

Banned

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Some sort of "Canucks insider" on twitter saying Luongo to the Leafs is all but a done deal ?

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/05/canucks-insider-tweets-luongo-to-the-leafs/

Trade is plausible and source trustworthy enough that it might actually be true. I don't really want to know where luongo is going to go, I wanna know what we'll get in return. Ready for draft day suggests it involves the 2012 draft, yes/no?

Also, IF true, Leafs will ACTUALLY have a nr1 worthy goalie, not this 1abc crap. Marvie, credit where it's due, Luongo is better than all 3 of them :p if he doesn't crumble to the Toronto media.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Really? Luongo? So now we're going to be set back another 5 years with more bullshit contracts and bum players. As awful as Fergie was no one cared as he was a retard. Burke is just an idiot.

Really? Luongo? So now we're going to be set back another 5 years with more bullshit contracts and bum players. As awful as Fergie was no one cared as he was a retard. Burke is just an idiot.

Well it's never too early to throw him under the bus. Only took Canucks "fans" about 2 years.

Marvie_3

Banned
If Luongo is a bum player then what does that make all the Leafs goaltenders over the last several years?

Socreges

Banned
Some sort of "Canucks insider" on twitter saying Luongo to the Leafs is all but a done deal ?

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/05/canucks-insider-tweets-luongo-to-the-leafs/
Original source: http://nhlbeat.blogspot.ca/2012/05/exclusive-roberto-luongo-to-maple-leafs.html

Never heard of the guy, but if it's true that he's broken those previous Canucks deals... he's obviously got some cred.

Luongo would make the Leafs a much better team. Instantly. And since they'd be taking on such a massive contract, I don't think they'd have to give up much either. I just really hope it wouldn't be Komisarek coming our way.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Well it's never too early to throw him under the bus. Only took Canucks "fans" about 2 years.

We need youth not more older players with big contracts. I can wait another 10 years of losing as long as we can rebuild properly ... fuck I've already been waiting 20 lol.

If Luongo is a bum player then what does that make all the Leafs goaltenders over the last several years?

Luongo is better than Kidd, Belfour, Tellqvist, Raycroft, Toskala, Pogge, Gustuvsson, Giguere, Riemer but that's not saying much lol. Wish they kept Clemmensen.

Trade is plausible and source trustworthy enough that it might actually be true. I don't really want to know where luongo is going to go, I wanna know what we'll get in return. Ready for draft day suggests it involves the 2012 draft, yes/no?
Kessel for Loungo please make it happen. The rage from Toronto would provide a season's worth of excitement.

Marvie_3

Banned
Original source: http://nhlbeat.blogspot.ca/2012/05/exclusive-roberto-luongo-to-maple-leafs.html

Never heard of the guy, but if it's true that he's broken those previous Canucks deals... he's obviously got some cred.

Luongo would make the Leafs a much better team. Instantly. And since they'd be taking on such a massive contract, I don't think they'd have to give up much either. I just really hope it wouldn't be Komisarek coming our way.

Komisarek + a re-signed Jeff Finger

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
There's a thread on the Habs main board on Hfboards discussing the Coaching possibilities, and it includes a poll with the options "Therrien, Crawford and Actual Poison" :lol :lol Actual Poison has 46% of the votes as well.

Smiley90

Okay, Luongo is an awesome goalie, but don't trade the 5th overall for him, please.

You have no idea how happy I'd be about that. Got rid of the the big contract AND no contract in return? Would be heaven. Won't happen though :(

Socreges

Banned
Okay, Luongo is an awesome goalie, but I hope Burkie isn't thinking of packaging the 5th overall pick.
KuGsj.gif

I'll never understand why you guys have such affection for the guy.

Anyway, the 5th overall pick wouldn't be necessary to entice the Canucks and they'd be looking for a player that could slot in immediately anyway. So don't worry.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Okay, Luongo is an awesome goalie, but I hope Burkie isn't thinking of packaging the 5th overall pick.

That pick is as good as gone lol. Go Leafs Go!

Haha if they could throw out Komisarek, Schenn and Gus for Luongo it wouldn't be so bad lol.

Socreges

Banned
That pick is as good as gone lol. Go Leafs Go!

Haha if they could throw out Komisarek, Schenn and Gus for Luongo it wouldn't be so bad lol.
I wouldn't be surprised if Schenn was involved. Wouldn't want him, though. I don't think he's ever going to pan out as people hoped.

Quick

Banned
I just hope Burke doesn't give up too much. I'll be murderous if Gardiner is part of the deal. I'm still a little bitter about Ian White being packaged for Phaneuf.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
KuGsj.gif

I'll never understand why you guys have such affection for the guy

see how the marlies are currently competing for the Calder cup?

Now look at the marlies competitiveness over the last 20 years

Remember, before Burke, the leafs would always try to buy their way to the cup

Wendel Clark, Kaberle (a 7th round pick!) were like the only players that we drafted that turned into ANYTHING in our system

It's not all about winning right away as nice as it sounds- its about putting the team on the right track to success. All our top prospects and picks get traded away. Hell we even traded away Wendel Clark to get Sundin.

Right now our Marlies squad is better than our NHL roster from 2005-06. That's why a lot of us fans like him. He's actually trying to build a championship team instead of buying one... Its kind of refreshing

Montresor

DopeyFish, I was about to say that Burkie is just a nickname I've gotten used to. If you were to ask me how I felt about him now, I wouldn't be so affectionate.

I want him to succeed here but I'm really bitter about how he has failed to deliver on his promises. He should shut up for once in his life and stop making grandiose statements. It's all about the playoffs every single year with him, and he hasn't come close to achieving this goal.

I do agree that what Burke has done to overhaul our prospect pool is awesome. I love what the Marlies are doing and I like the picks he has made in the draft. He has traded for great prospects (the prime example being that studly rookie Gardiner). But he has awful veteran talent assessment. Burke is the same guy that thought Connolly would be a good centre for our team. The same guy that turned what should've been a good trade (Lebda for Franson + concussed salary dump) into an awful trade (Franson healthy scratch, Lombardi unfortunately for us coming back from his concussion and being a fucking useless $3.5million third liner). He hasn't signed a SINGLE good UFA in the free agent market aside from MacArthur. I feel really bitter whenever I think of Armstrong ($3million) + Connolly ($4.5million) + Lombardi ($3.5million).

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I just hope Burke doesn't give up too much. I'll be murderous if Gardiner is part of the deal. I'm still a little bitter about Ian White being packaged for Phaneuf.

Fuck man I miss Ian White. He was a good fit for the Leafs.

In term of Luongo I think that by bringing him in with our defense will only make him want to leave like all the goalies we've had in the past decade. It's always the same. The Leafs Nation blows up in excitement from the hype train of a good goalie but are quickly saddened by our terrible defense. So what do we do? Blame the goalie. To be fair in the past decade Aubin (for 10 games) and Raycroft have been their best goalies... not based on stats but based on how fucking hard they played with our shitty defense. Luongo is not going to be happy here if he comes.

Socreges

Banned
Why do you guys love Burke so much?

Look at the success.... of the Marlies!

I almost wonder if Manics joking around ("Double B") just became infectious around here.

lupinko

At this point, I don't really care anymore just get Robesto. Although I wouldn't want to part with Gardiner, and I'd only be willing to the move the 5th if it was say for a big centre like Ryan G or move up in the draft.

Why did we have a resurgence during the Pat Eras of Burns and Quinn? Well, for starters we had goaltending, Potvin, Cujo and Eddie.

Compare that trio to what we had afterward.

So, Burke and his team of GMs should just make the deal now.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
At this point, I don't really care anymore just get Robesto. Although I wouldn't want to part with Gardiner, and I'd only be willing to the move the 5th if it was say for a big centre like Ryan G or move up in the draft.

Why did we have a resurgence during the Pat Eras of Burns and Quinn? Well, for starters we had goaltending, Potvin, Cujo and Eddie.

Compare that trio to what we had afterward.

So, Burke and his team of GMs should just make the deal now.

Wish that drunk bastard (Eddie) never let that goal in by Roenik:'( Last time the Leafs made it to the playoffs:-(

Narrower leg pads on goalies, and require that they be worn snugly to the player's leg, would be a huge improvement.

This needs to happen along with smaller shoulder pads. Goalies shouldnt need to look like the Michelin man to stop the puck. Just look at Quick ffs. Those pads are massive.

lupinko

Wish that drunk bastard (Eddie) never let that goal in by Roenik:'( Last time the Leafs made it to the playoffs:-(

Not his fault, the gritty, sandpaper style of play that both Pat Leafs teams' employed could only get us so far.

Ugh, denied 3 chances at 3 original six match ups in the SCF.

Oh well, live and learn, and maybe the Leafs should hire Rex Ryan or something.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
DopeyFish, I was about to say that Burkie is just a nickname I've gotten used to. If you were to ask me how I felt about him now, I wouldn't be so affectionate.

I want him to succeed here but I'm really bitter about how he has failed to deliver on his promises. He should shut up for once in his life and stop making grandiose statements. It's all about the playoffs every single year with him, and he hasn't come close to achieving this goal.

Sure, we haven't made the playoffs in forever. Yes, Burke always says playoffs is the goal- because it's true. Sports teams are supposed to compete for the playoffs. Leafs as an organization has become better even if they aren't showing their success on the big league team. Our free agency pickups have basically all been terrible. Our coach was crap and has since been replaced.

We have been drafting incredibly well too... And if things fall in place... Like leafs getting a good goaltender, Schultz signing here (hoping!), getting one of the top 4 forwards in the draft... Without giving up much... and a few trades here and there.... Success isn't too far away!

Marvie_3

Banned
Not his fault, the gritty, sandpaper style of play that both Pat Leafs teams' employed could only get us so far.

Ugh, denied 3 chances at 3 original six match ups in the SCF.

Oh well, live and learn, and maybe the Leafs should hire Rex Ryan or something.
You already have one underperforming loudmouth as your GM, why would you want one as your coach as well?

To be fair. Luongo 10 years from now will still be better than that pool of sad sacks you guys call goaltenders.

Marvie_3

Banned
People are calling dibs on teams already for the NeoGAF NHL 13 GM League. I'll add a seperate one for the PS3 version:

XBOX 360

Code:
EASTERN CONFERENCE                                       WESTERN CONFERENCE

[B]Atlantic[/B]                                                 [B]Central[/B]

New Jersey -                                             Chicago - wsoxfan1214
New York Islanders -                                     Columbus - 
New York Rangers -                                       Detroit - LukeSmith
Philadelphia -                                           Nashville - sefskillz
Pittsburgh -                                             St. Louis - 

[B]Northeast[/B]                                                [B]Northwest[/B]

Boston -                                                 Calgary - 
Buffalo -                                                Colorado - 19 & 21
Montreal - Red_Man                                       Edmonton - Smiley90
Ottawa -                                                 Minnesota - Marvie_3
Toronto - ACES11                                         Vancouver - 

[B]Southeast[/B]                                                [B]Pacific[/B]

Carolina -                                               Anaheim - 
Florida -                                                Dallas - 
Tampa Bay -                                              Los Angeles - 
Washington - LiveWire                                    Quebec City - 
Winnipeg -                                               San Jose -

PLAYSTATION 3

Code:

New Jersey -                                             Chicago - 
New York Rangers -                                       Detroit - 
Philadelphia -                                           Nashville - 

[B]Northeast[/B]                                                [B]Northwest[/B]

Buffalo -                                                Colorado - 
Montreal -                                               Edmonton - 
Ottawa -                                                 Minnesota - 
Toronto -                                                Vancouver - 

Washington -                                             Quebec City - 

Cactus

Banned
As long as the Leafs don't give up much, I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring Luongo.

Would something like:

Franson or Macarthur (good players who can help the Canucks right now)
+
Salary Dump (Komisarek or maybe Lombardi or Armstrong)
+
Decent/B prospect

...work for you guys?

TSN just had a repeat of King's Ransom. Goddamn. Never had a chance to see the full thing until now. Lots of incredible 80's footage (seemingly every sportscaster had F- terrible hair) and well, gotta give props to Sather. He looked like he was dying to say what he really wanted to say about Pocklington. :lol

Smiley90

People are calling dibs on teams already for the NeoGAF NHL 13 GM League. I'll add a seperate one for the PS3 version:

XBOX 360

Code:

PLAYSTATION 3

Code:

Before someone murders me: There's like no (right?) Edmonton fans in here and too many people who'd want the Canucks. I'm simply taking one for the team. (Also thinking about the future. Plus, I can't be worse than the REAL Oilers GM, right? I mean, 30,30 and 29 is easy enough to improve upon.)

XBOX 360

Code:

PLAYSTATION 3

Code:

Luke took Detroit? LAME, well I guess for me I might try out Tampa instead.

XBOX 360

Code:

Carolina -                                               Anaheim - BigJonsson

PLAYSTATION 3

Code:

Ducks in the 360 version

XBOX 360

Code:

PLAYSTATION 3

Code:

Sweet, Flyers are still open? Dibs on them for the 360.

Top Bottom