• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think he's been for a while now.

Also where's that table picture from Smiley?

All 3 picture I just posted are from the Bauer Pro Day :D First time the Schenns and the Staals wore jerseys together with pics, plus that table. (Kesler obviously couldn't play :( )

iLLmAtlc

Ohh. While we're on that topic though any of you guys met any players? I remember reading CDC with a bunch of Canucks meetings and Kesler was getting ripped. One story I still remember was somebody asked Kesler for a high five after a game and Kesler looked at him, stone faced, and said "I don't do high fives". Other than that a lot of people seem to say Burrows is an awesome dude to meet.

Smiley90

Ohh. While we're on that topic though any of you guys met any players? I remember reading CDC with a bunch of Canucks meetings and Kesler was getting ripped. One story I still remember was somebody asked Kesler for a high five after a game and Kesler looked at him, stone faced, and said "I don't do high fives". Other than that a lot of people seem to say Burrows is an awesome dude to meet.

My girlfriend met Burrows and a sign&greet and also said he was awesome. I never met anyone in person :( Apart from Hiller when he was still playing in Switzerland, but does that count? :p

Smiley90

I still agree with Tim Thomas.*shrugs*

3q8z12.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If they can fully realize the concept, and avoid any major exploits, this could be something really special. Hopefully gaffers who signed up for our NHL-Gaf league won't go inactive after 2-3 weeks. No point taking a team if you won't stick with it.

I accidentally ran into Mason Raymond before work once. He was at a cross walk, going to a signing. I heard on Twitter Kesler was there too, so I took an early coffee break and ran there double quick.

Missed out on Kesler :(

Sanjuro

Worse. Bruins fan.

Honestly I get the impression that Sanjuro is an anomaly when it comes to Thomas and Bruins fans.

I'm an anomaly when it comes to Boston sports fans, I don't drink the Kool-Aid. Problem with Thomas, his Kool-Aid is entirely homemade. I can separate the laundry from the individual.

In this case though, I probably side with Thomas. Chick-fil-a's greatest offense is not being open on Sunday. I already knew that the owner was a wacky Christian, so none of this is particularly shocking to me.

Curufinwe

Giroux said that Crosbys slashed his wrists at different faceoffs in the playoffs and it lead to a fracture and two surgeries apparently.

He did it in the brawl game on 4/1/12, too. Knocked the stick clean out of Giroux's hands with two slashes after a faceoff right in front of the ref. No penalty, of course.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He did it in the brawl game on 4/1/12, too. Knocked the stick clean out of Giroux's hands with two slashes after a faceoff right in front of the ref. No penalty, of course.

That was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. I couldn't believe Crosby got away with that twice. The camera shots showed the official's eyes were directed right at the slashes, too, and he still called nothing.

I'm an anomaly when it comes to Boston sports fans, I don't drink the Kool-Aid. Problem with Thomas, his Kool-Aid is entirely homemade. I can separate the laundry from the individual.

In this case though, I probably side with Thomas. Chick-fil-a's greatest offense is not being open on Sunday. I already knew that the owner was a wacky Christian, so none of this is particularly shocking to me.

I totallt disagree with you. this has nothing to do with him being a wacky christian. This is about the money that is spent at chick-fil-a being donated to hate groups. Chick-fil-a is my wifes favorite fastfood, and I also really liked it, but no way will we ever eat there again after what the owner said and finding out that he donates money to these terrible organizations. I also how that Thomas gets blacklisted from the NHL and never plays again. What a horrible person he is.

Got one of my friends a stick and a helmet and we are going to a stick and puck tonight, first time he is going to actually use a hockey stick on ice, he has skated a bunch before but it should be interesting. Plus it has been a while since I have had the opportunity to get out on the ice as well, can't wait.

Curufinwe

If anyone's ever played ice hockey that stuff happens all the time during faceoffs.

Crosby gets away with more and harder slashes because the refs are scared to call penalties on him. If everyone slashed like that at faceoffs every center in the league would end the season needing wrist surgery. Most players don't do it very often because they know they will get sent straight to the penalty box.

1:30 of this video. Wouldn't the NHL be great if any player who lost a faceoff was allowed to use his stick as a weapon to smash the hands of the guy who beat him on the draw?

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/video?PID=8orTKeC3t7_K77lk2aZUPBzPV9hky_YM

Entropia

No One Remembers
Got one of my friends a stick and a helmet and we are going to a stick and puck tonight, first time he is going to actually using a hockey stick on ice, he has skated a bunch before but it should be interesting. Plus it has been a while since I have had the opportunity to get out on the ice as well, can't wait.

In July?! Nice.

Crosby gets away with more and harder slashes because the refs are scared to call penalties on him. If everyone slashed like that at faceoffs every center in the league would end the season needing wrist surgery. Most players don't do it very often because they know they will get sent straight to the penalty box.

Hopefully someone on the Flyers will return the favor against Crosby this year.

Revenant

Got one of my friends a stick and a helmet and we are going to a stick and puck tonight, first time he is going to actually using a hockey stick on ice, he has skated a bunch before but it should be interesting. Plus it has been a while since I have had the opportunity to get out on the ice as well, can't wait.

This always leads to good moments. Is he pretty new to hockey or just to the concept of playing?

Are we just going off his word that Crosby was the one that made him require this surgery? Maybe there is video evidence, I honestly don't know.

I think Giroux is a good enough player (I put him in top 3 in forwards) in this League to not go around and pointing fingers at a single player as why he has injuries here and there. Alot of players don't like Crosby, everyone gets it.

I realize he is young, and the 24/7 special last season kind of showed a little bit of his personna especially when he was trying to chirp that Ranger player after Rupp did the Jagr salute (saying Rupp has only 2 career goals, which is funny because Rupp has scored a winning goal in a Game 7 Stanley Cup Final). I just attribute to alot of the young players having a short temper.

In July?! Nice.

Yup, went to a play it again sports and they had a 20 dollar used CCM Helmet which fit him perfectly, then we went over to a Dick's Sporting Goods and found him a stick, only spent about 70 bucks all together but for someone who doesn't play, I say he made out well.

This always leads to good moments. Is he pretty new to hockey or just to the concept of playing?

No, he isn't new to hockey (he is actually a Flyer's fan) and he has went with us skating numerous times over the years. I actually went out a few years ago and helped him get his own pair of skates. We also sometimes will shoot around street hockey style but as for ice, yeah he has never actually used a stick and puck before. Heck, it has probably been over a year since I have used a stick and puck, maybe even close to two years. So I'm interested to see how I will do considering I have also been working out and running since I was last on the ice. Either way I'm excited to get back on the ice, hopefully I can make this a more numerous occasion.

Revenant

Yup, went to a play it again sports and they had a 20 dollar used CCM Helmet which fit him perfectly, then we went over to a Dick's Sporting Goods and found him a stick, only spent about 70 bucks all together but for someone who doesn't play, I say he made out well.

No, he isn't new to hockey (he is actually a Flyer's fan) and he has went with us skating numerous times over the years. I actually went out a few years ago and helped him get his own pair of skates. We also sometimes will shoot around street hockey style but as for ice, yeah he has never actually used a stick and puck before. Heck, it has probably been over a year since I have used a stick and puck, maybe even close to two years. So I'm interested to see how I will do considering I have also been working out and running since I was last on the ice. Either way I'm excited to get back on the ice, hopefully I can make this a more numerous occasion.

Its always a good feeling to jump onto some fresh ice. My buddy a and I were just talking about pond skating in the winter and trying to find a rec league.

Luckily found a small skating rink near my university so I can at least stay somewhat capable. Went a few times with friends. Was s blast except for the foreign kid who ran into me trying to turn around and skate backwards(poorly) and in the act of catching him he accidentally gave me an upwards karate chop to the balls :(

Its always a good feeling to jump onto some fresh ice. My buddy a and I were just talking about pond skating in the winter and trying to find a rec league.

Luckily found a small skating rink near my university so I can at least stay somewhat capable. Went a few times with friends. Was s blast except for the foreign kid who ran into me trying to turn around and skate backwards(poorly) and in the act of catching him he accidentally gave me an upwards karate chop to the balls :(

Note to self, wear a cup. That's alright, I went skating with some friends up at college this past year and the rink was pretty jam packed with people who can't skate, so I'm there skating around trying to find some open ice to skate fast (since I wasn't going to get stuck behind people and skate at an incredibly slow speed). So I finally find some open ice and take off, of course as I start coming around a corner some girl cuts out from some people and right in front of me. So I slam on the breaks and give her a snow shower. Some guy that is skating right next to her calls me something (I can't remember what) so I flip him off and continue to skate. Of course I look like the bad guy because I threw snow on the girl from stopping instead of plowing into her and sending her straight to the ice. :/

If anyone's ever played ice hockey that stuff happens all the time during faceoffs.

Not to the degree Crosby takes it. I'll agree to people getting chopped in the faceoff circle, but dear god Crosby is an artist when it comes to finding ways to use his stick to injure people.

I don't get how Briere can get so much hate for it (he's admittedly really dumb with his stick) while Crosby just gets it written off as "part of the game." I think the two are really comparable in how they use their stick, but I'd be willing to bet Briere gets called a hell of a lot more. Briere also has the issue of being two feet tall and using the stick to compensate. Crosby doesn't even have a shitty excuse.

Revenant

@crazedarabman

I know that feel. My worst enemy are small children. At 6 and a half foot tall I can barely make out stumbling kids. And some parents are content with letting them skate own their own. I've been able to avoid anything bad but I feel I await a shrieking mother in my future. And everyone will look at me like hunchback of Notre dame :(

ShaneB

No comment on the Tim Thomas wackiness. Yeah yeah free speech and all that, but I'd love to see how he'd react when the media would press him on this if this was made during the season (if he was playing).

Semin to the Canes could be stellar for them, but the 1 year deal is a sign that no one knows what the hell they're getting anymore with this guy.

@crazedarabman

I know that feel. My worst enemy are small children. At 6 and a half foot tall I can barely make out stumbling kids. And some parents are content with letting them skate own their own. I've been able to avoid anything bad but I feel I await a shrieking mother in my future. And everyone will look at me like hunchback of Notre dame :(

They just look at me and probably ask why I'm showing off or something like that, the problem is that I go there to skate, and since I can skate way better than most people there, I'm going to skate the way I know how to, not sit there and glide around the ice. Now if I'm with friends yeah I'll sit there and glide maybe a few laps and talk it up with them but I have to get out and actually move every once in a while, only problem is most people don't and they get in my way unfortunately.

Sanjuro

I totallt disagree with you. this has nothing to do with him being a wacky christian. This is about the money that is spent at chick-fil-a being donated to hate groups. Chick-fil-a is my wifes favorite fastfood, and I also really liked it, but no way will we ever eat there again after what the owner said and finding out that he donates money to these terrible organizations. I also how that Thomas gets blacklisted from the NHL and never plays again. What a horrible person he is.

Most of those "hate groups" mentioned are organizations dedicated to strengthening marriage & family structure all around the core of religious beliefs. That's what I personally would describe as a "wacky Christian". I don't mean to put all people with faith down, but that's how I see it. Right now I'm in Texas, where that and some altered sense of American pride both seem to be the name of the game.

I don't believe Tim Thomas is a horrible person when in American sports there are a whole slew of unsavory characters. I love Tim Thomas the player. Let's say I went out for some drinks with Thomas, the dialog would end very quickly.

No comment on the Tim Thomas wackiness. Yeah yeah free speech and all that, but I'd love to see how he'd react when the media would press him on this if this was made during the season (if he was playing).

The Boston media would destroy him.

I accidentally ran into Mason Raymond before work once. He was at a cross walk, going to a signing. I heard on Twitter Kesler was there too, so I took an early coffee break and ran there double quick.

Missed out on Kesler :(

*refrains from obvious Raymond joke*

My parents met Henrik Sedin at Whole Foods. Got his autograph, and they thought it was Daniel the whole time (his signature is messy).

Most of those "hate groups" mentioned are organizations dedicated to strengthening marriage & family structure all around the core of religious beliefs. That's what I personally would describe as a "wacky Christian". I don't mean to put all people with faith down, but that's how I see it. Right now I'm in Texas, where that and some altered sense of American pride both seem to be the name of the game.
If that's how you see then you are damn blind. These groups are for denying basic rights for citizens of specific groups. They are peddling bigoted views and are hate groups. There is no problem with religious people extending their beliefs among their own. When they go out to oppress the rights of people that is problem.

Bottom line is if churches don't want to marry gay people, fine. They haveno reason besides bigoted hate filled views to make it so gay people can't be married anywhere.

Quick

Banned
Random skating memories:

I went skating semi-regularly over the winter when the community centre nearby had the rink opened, and it was always pretty busy. There was enough room to skate fast, but you'd have to watch out. Now, me being the experienced skater that I am, I'm not going to glide around at a turtle's pace and needed some space. I get around to a good speed, skating past people in a safe manner, and all of a sudden, a large circle of teenage girls came up and I had to slow down, or else I'd plough right through them. Half of them were on their phones, and the rest are talking to each other in this circle that took up the whole lane and was slowing everyone down. FFS.

In another instance, there were people skating with a woman who, I'd assume, was new to skating. She and her family kept to the boards, teaching her how to skate. No big deal. At the same rink were these idiot kids causing trouble (skating against the flow, trying to trip each other, etc.), and I didn't see exactly what happened, but all of a sudden, there was a shout for help, and the woman learning how to skate was face down on the ice with one of those idiot kids suddenly skating away. Deducing the situation, I assumed that the kid accidentally tripped the woman and she fell and hit her head on the ice. The people patrolling the rink didn't do shit to those kids.

I think the lessons here are: wear a goddamn helmet if you can't skate, in case you fall down. And stay in the centre of the rink if you really need to text or make a huge circle with your friends while skating.

Sanjuro

If that's how you see then you are damn blind. These groups are for denying basic rights for citizens of specific groups. They are peddling bigoted views and are hate groups. There is no problem with religious people extending their beliefs among their own. When they go out to oppress the rights of people that is problem.

Bottom line is if churches don't want to marry gay people, fine. They haveno reason besides bigoted hate filled views to make it so gay people can't be married anywhere.

So what do you believe in? Do think the government should just step in and stop them? Religion has always been a source of oppression.

Top Bottom