• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Sanjuro

When TT steps out and says he hates jews are you going to have his back on this one as well?

Well considering I don't have Thomas's back at the moment, probably not. I just don't share the idea that attacking a fast food chicken restaurant is going to solve anything, unless they sold meth.

I responded, but your post is fairly unnecessary.

Socreges

Banned
I'm an anomaly when it comes to Boston sports fans, I don't drink the Kool-Aid. Problem with Thomas, his Kool-Aid is entirely homemade. I can separate the laundry from the individual.

In this case though, I probably side with Thomas. Chick-fil-a's greatest offense is not being open on Sunday. I already knew that the owner was a wacky Christian, so none of this is particularly shocking to me.
You always side with Thomas. That's my point. Other Bruins fans were able to say that Thomas' shit stinks (white house visit, fb comments, taking a year off, now chick-fil-a) while you would continually tell us it still smells kinda nice. In this case I don't even understand how you're siding with him when you're not even saying the same thing.

giroux.gif

Its... so... beautiful :'D

Sanjuro

You always side with Thomas. That's my point. Other Bruins fans were able to say that Thomas' shit stinks (white house visit, fb comments, taking a year off, now chick-fil-a) while you would continually tell us it still smells kinda nice. In this case I don't even understand how you're siding with him when you're not even saying the same thing.

I just don't share the fueled hatred for him. He hasn't done anything to date that harmfully affects the lives of anyone but his own.

So what do you believe in? Do think the government should just step in and stop them? Religion has always been a source of oppression.
They should be labeled as what they are. Hate groups, and treated as such. You don't see groups like them that are openly for oppressing other minorities. Also a constitutional amendment to for marrige equality and equal rights. Anyway this is out of place in this thread back to NHL-age.

Socreges

Banned
I just don't share the fueled hatred for him. He hasn't done anything to date that harmfully affects the lives of anyone but his own.
They affect his teammates, the Bruins organization, Bruins fans, gay people, etc. I don't hate the guy. I just think he's ignorant and selfish. Seems to be a pretty widespread opinion across the NHL.

Sanjuro

They should be labeled as what they are. Hate groups, and treated as such. You don't see groups like them that are openly for oppressing other minorities. Also a constitutional amendment to for marrige equality and equal rights. Anyway this is out of place in this thread back to NHL-age.

Maybe not openly, but from what I've been reading the groups involved with the Chick-fil-a aren't the picketing sort either. Could be wrong though.

Problem is there is just no on/off switch for bigotry. Unless someone is viciously attacking someone either verbally or physically, then I usually take it with a grain of salt. Nothing I say or do will change them. I've been called a "faggot" in person, from members of this forum, hell, a member of this thread. Lately, I just save my venom for truly terrible individuals.

You're right though. NHL off season is a pretty slow one for me. I thought that I would just pop in and share my opinions as it seemed a relevant topic at the moment.

They affect his teammates, the Bruins organization, Bruins fans, gay people, etc. I don't hate the guy. I just think he's ignorant and selfish. Seems to be a pretty widespread opinion across the NHL.

I don't disagree with you on most of those fronts. Normally, I would say "meh" on the teammates. Hockey is still one of the last remaining sports where this actually matters anymore.

From jus a quick google search I found that Thomas has previously donated to Tea Party group FreedomWorks according to Breitbart.com. This is an extremely anti-union group that helped the anti-refoms in Ohio pass. Also by supporting CFA he is helping to deny Americans the right to marrige which definitely hurts people.

Most of that is still backed by religion, then simply intolerance. Tea Party or not, neither are disappearing anytime soon.

How has Thomas directly affected the life of another individual?

From jus a quick google search I found that Thomas has previously donated to Tea Party group FreedomWorks according to Breitbart.com. This is an extremely anti-union group that helped the anti-refoms in Ohio pass. Also by supporting CFA he is helping to deny Americans the right to marrige which definitely hurts people.

Vman

To those who say that Thomas was disliked in the locker room, apparently he was quite liked, and a bunch of Bruins are defending him on twitter. idk much about the bruins though so i could be wrong maybe its just vocal minority.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
To those who say that Thomas was disliked in the locker room, apparently he was quite liked, and a bunch of Bruins are defending him on twitter. idk much about the bruins though so i could be wrong maybe its just vocal minority.
Elliot Friedman mentioned it in one of his 30 thoughts, so that's where I was basing that off. Don't know how true it was, but he's usually pretty reliable.

Vman

Elliot Friedman mentioned it in one of his 30 thoughts, so that's where I was basing that off. Don't know how true it was, but he's usually pretty reliable.

Yea I'm just going of twitter, I'm sure he was liked by some and disliked by others. I also find it funny how people are saying fuck tim thomas for his beliefs and I'm glad he's off the team but then saying how they hope they get Doan on their team. Im sure Doan shares the same views as Thomas dude is a super strict christian also so is mike fisher and I'm sure there are many more in the league.

Sanjuro

In the state he was most beloved in, we have the right to marry any sex we choose. I'm proud of this. If his actions altered the minds of any, then it's safe to say there wasn't much hope for that person from the start.

Should be noted, a healthy portion of Montreal fans also cried foul when I referred to some as "bigots" over the French-speaking coach debate.

Its kind of funny how thomas reached the height of his popularity and then let's all of his mouth vomit out on his pedestal. One can obviously assume that's not a coincidence.

But now he's barely a hockey player and primarily a nut. Like he was just waiting to get to the highest stage to become a political mouthpiece.

I bet he retired to ask mitt if he could be his VP!

Crazy that he's willing to burn it all down for this.

He certainly picked the wrong environment to do so. I'm curious how this would have played out, say he played for the Dallas Stars.

Revenant

Its kind of funny how thomas reached the height of his popularity and then let's all of his mouth vomit out on his pedestal. One can obviously assume that's not a coincidence.

But now he's barely a hockey player and primarily a nut. Like he was just waiting to get to the highest stage to become a political mouthpiece.

The most legit way to get into politics is by riding your popularity through something completely unrelated and then making the switch. Just ask Schwarzenegger.

Revenant

The most legit way to get into politics is by riding your popularity through something completely unrelated and then making the switch. Just ask Schwarzenegger.

Very true. Just surprised thomas is going all out a year removed from winning it all and at the height of his athletic career. Schwarzenegers peak was arguably behind him.

Socreges

Banned
I also find it funny how people are saying fuck tim thomas for his beliefs and I'm glad he's off the team but then saying how they hope they get Doan on their team. Im sure Doan shares the same views as Thomas dude is a super strict christian also so is mike fisher and I'm sure there are many more in the league.
Last I checked they weren't making public statements and endorsements, and keep their beliefs to themselves, whatever those might be.

cube444

I think he's been for a while now.

Also where's that table picture from Smiley?

Who's Crosby banging?

“Those are from (Sidney) Crosby,” he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. “Every time we’d line up against each other for a face-off during our (2012 playoff) series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he’d hack me across the wrists. I ended up playing the series against (New) Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.”

Damn. Them fighting words.

Erdrick

http://illegalcurve.com/2012/07/27/...gree-to-contract-extension-with-toby-enstrom/

The Jets have signed Defenceman Tobias Enstrom to a 5 year contract extension.

Not sure if it's been posted here, what with all the Tim Thomas dialogue going on but... I'm super happy with this. He's one of the best players on our team and having him for a 5 year extension is a big step towards keeping our core players together and strengthening the overall team. There was some doubt as to whether he would be traded at the start of this year or not since I think he was going to be a UFA next year? Might have been an RFA, but judging from some of the worrying I read, it was probably a UFA.

Enstrom is a great compliment for Byfuglien. ie. He covers Buff's ass when he's playing the 4th forward on offence. Enstrom was injured for a fair bit last year due to a broken collarbone (Screw you, Jack Skille.) early in the season. He is a little small, and can be pushed off the puck at times, but he's a great skater and is the closest thing the Jets have right now that reminds me of Teppo Numminen from the old Jets. That's a compliment in every sense of the word.

One less thing to worry about. Now... just gotta get Evander Kane locked down.

Man... I really hope there is hockey this year.

Top Bottom