• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't want a lockout to happen, but if it did it only helps the Canadiens so it wouldn't bum me out as much. Olympics will help time pass.

Red_Man

Olympics will help you through a lockout? Wat?
I was referring to it helping pass time until the season starts if there is no lockout. Seeing as this off season has been pretty bad so far, the Olympics are a nice distraction.

I can't even care less about a British Summer Olympics.

Fuck those guys for talking shit about our Olympics. Enjoy the crippling debt assholes.

Red_Man

I can't even care less about a British Summer Olympics.

Fuck those guys for talking shit about our Olympics. Enjoy the crippling debt assholes.
The Vancouver opening ceremony was garbage at best, and I don't think anyone can deny that. Besides that, it was a great Olympics.

Compared to Sydneys "guy on a ride-on mower chasing kids", Vancouvers was awesome.
Nah, we just had Wayne Gretzky standing on the back of a pick-up truck looking pissed as shit while three cops laid under him, holding his legs to keep the crazy people running beside the truck from pulling him off.

Oh, and it was raining.

Any pointers on what to look for in skates and sticks? Didn't even know there was a rink 15 minutes from me.

For sticks, get one that measures to your shoulder. Also for casual use don't get composite sticks, the are nice and light and flex wonderfully for shots, they break very easily.

Hey mind you that this is with skates on though! I would say that it should atleast reach just below your mouth without skates. And the man is right about the stick, always go wooden, how fast your wrist shot is won't matter at all and it is easier to develop a feel for the puck with a wooden stick. Another thing is that the skates might hurt in the beginning, thats just life. All mine have, if your feet are a little different from normal this is unavoidable, the oven that someone was talking about shortens the time to "wear them in". The only other tip I have is to dry them out after everytime and they will last you for a lifetime if you only use them a couple of times per week. Have fun!

Red_Man

Read this earlier today but haven't seen it posted, apparently Doan didn't even get a call from the Coyotes today, so he's definitely going to another team.

It's really incredible the Coyotes franchise is even competitive. After seeing how MLB slowly destroyed every part of the Expos for a decade (highlights include citing "conflict of interest" to prevent spending the money on a minor league call-up during a playoffs-possible season, and at one point having a 28-2 vote to outright disband the franchise), Coyotes/Jets having arguably their greatest season ever is almost a miracle. Especially when you look back to the ugly moments like bankruptcy, duping Wayne Gretzky out of a bunch of money, Balsillie saga, etc.

(I look forward to every story about the current ownership fiasco, of course. I think it will be a much more stable and interesting franchise in Quebec. But nothing is a sure thing when Bettman is steering a team like this...)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Read this earlier today but haven't seen it posted, apparently Doan didn't even get a call from the Coyotes today, so he's definitely going to another team.

Sporting News said he met with Jamison yesterday but nobody knows how it went.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Festival of Lights crowd today reminded me of the Boston series... Soooooo many people.

Forget about ownership, Yotes still have $10 million to spend and already have 22 roster players.

Which definitely means the Doan situation isn't about money... right? It would suck to see a team be forced to take on a dead contract (like Tim Thomas or Wade Redden) just to hit the cap floor.

Smiley90

Haha, I was just going to post that. Doc doing commentary and Pierre doing analysis for water polo — bizarre.

Is this the Summer Olympic's Curling?

For the record, I actually find curling rather interesting

Seriously thought the same thing, and yet I didn't see a single medal get draped over a horse's neck.

And there's a 71 year old man in that event on top of it.
I'm sure he's a fine specimen of human athletic achievement sitting on a fucking horse.

Congrats on being able to feed an animal kibbles and bites!

Red_Man

Equestrian is in their so the Queens granddaughter can actually get into an event without actually having exercise her ass off for years.

Equestrian is in their so the Queens granddaughter can actually get into an event without actually having exercise her ass off for years.
C1ZDG.png

Smiley90

If Equestrian is an Olympic sport then rally driving should also be an event. It's way more exciting and more dangerous.

Actually, Rally driving requires way more skill than riding a horse... I think the problem with that is that a "car" isn't an animate thing, that's probably the biggest issue the Olympics have with it. A Javelin is about as inanimate as you're allowed to have it at the Olympics.

But yes, I agree. Also, there should be more fighting sports in it, that makes even less sense, since there are a lot of fighting sports already in it, adding a few more would just make sense to me.

Alucard

Banned
I love the Olympics whether they're summer or winter. I find them very inspiring. And the summer has tae kwon do, judo, boxing, and a wealth of other awesome-to-watch sports.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love the Olympics whether they're summer or winter. I find them very inspiring. And the summer has tae kwon do, judo, boxing, and a wealth of other awesome-to-watch sports.

Summer Olympics I find incredibly boring until the 2nd week. I'll watch the Winter Olympics straight through.

Smiley90

Summer Olympics have some great sports to watch too. Track&Field finals are fun, Beach Volleyball (which I'm watching right now) also is. Winter probably has more "relevant" sports, but summer definitely has some too. Plus, it's still the Olympics, and everything that comes with it, so it's still worth watching.

Rally would feel just as misplaced as Snowboard halfpipe(and I love Snowboarding), it's just not the right arena.

Yes yes yes! And add table tennis, handball and bicycle to that! And cross-country skiiing and curling during winter.

To make the Olympics even more awesome they should just cut Swimming and track and field in half and add the NH-GAF favourite Bandy to winters Olympics

Smiley90

Top Bottom