• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cactus

Banned
Here's an update on the Thomas situation (plus some other info)

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD
During conference call just completed, Chiarelli makes it sound a fait accompli that Thomas will not play in '12-'13.

For now, looks like Rask No. 1, w/Khudobin as No. 2. Both guys well liked in room.

Acc. Chiarelli, Thomas' top reasons for likely sitting out: 1. family; 2. fatigue. Thomas did not request contract ext.

Of all Boston's free agents, only Corvo has been told Bruins not interested in having him back.

Apparently the Norfolk Admirals coach said in the newspaper today that the Marlies just have to show up and lose because nobody in Toronto wins anything in hockey. What an asshole.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Copy from other thread, fir those interested, link in the first quote:

Extremely disappointing news. EA decided not to include fantasy draft in online GM. We can however "randomize" the rosters so no one gets stuck with the Blue Jackets or something. I'm also not sure if we want to wait until the first roster update so certain teams get their rookies.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/n...know-about-nhl-13-39-s-gm-connected-mode.aspx

Everything here.

This is good. The reason? It would become tedious. However, they chose to include a full 82 game schedule for 25 years (like that wouldn't be tedious instead). Maybe we can do something like simming a ton of our games (I'll give EA credit for a huge upgrade in the SIM engine last year while playing the playoffs or something) and playing the playoffs. Basically, it would require you to be good at managing your team so you make the playoffs and then actually being good enough to win.

Ugh seriously? This is awful. You can't actually have a draft. You submit a list of priority players but we can't have a live draft.

I don't really understand EA. It takes 15 minutes to go through their message board and OperationSports to find that features like the phone system or the rating system are absolutely awful. The rating systems has been awful for years with too many players being over 80 by the year 2015. And the problem is, it creates players wanting too much money based on being a rookie or something stupid like that. Between this, and their press conference, it's continually clear how out of touch the NHL Dev team is with their fans.
I
Did you mean to have quotes in your post? It seems like it, but i dont see them.

Also, it's slightly annoying, but i can see how annoying it'd be to draft full NHL and AHL teams and I'm actually okay with that.
7. Free agency includes both unrestricted and restricted free agents, and it's handled via seven bidding periods. The highest bidders win the services of the player, and if you strike out you have several more rounds to find an adequate replacement. 

I like this. Also wish we'd have a "small" fantasy draft for like 2 rounds and then randomize the rest, so there's SOME choice, but as it stands I'm okay with that.

But FUCK YOU EA WHY NO ENTRY DRAFT THAT WAS GOING TO BE THE BEST PART.

Everything else looks great, loving the different modes, i think we should do a GAF-ALL-GM league with 1 GM per team and all simulated games to make a manager league, and then maybe join an online teamplay league as a gaf-all-players 1 single team. (? If that makes sense)
15. EA plans to release a mobile app that allows players to stay engaged with their leagues when they're away from their consoles. From the app, players can juggle team rosters, scour the waiver wire, propose trades, and read about league happenings.  

AWESOME.

9. While running your team you have full access to the entire list of players in the organization, including the AHL, CHL, and foreign league prospects. 

10. The commissioner controls how quickly the league advances. You can opt for either three-day, one-week, or two-week periods.

Also awesome.

15. EA plans to release a mobile app that allows players to stay engaged with their leagues when they're away from their consoles. From the app, players can juggle team rosters, scour the waiver wire, propose trades, and read about league happenings.  

YESSSSSSSSSS love it.

Overall, Entry Draft is my biggest setback, but with priority we'll see how it works... Slightly disappointed, but they probably did it for time-reasons (since a 10 round entry draft with 30 players would take forever), so I can live with it. Sounds AMAZING overall.

Cake Boss

Banned
WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH HOLD THE FUCK ON HERE. STOP THE TRAIN.

Youre telling me that there is no online fantasy mode in the new Be a GM mode? Woah WTF is all that about? The only reason I gave a shit about this.

7cEJX.jpg

Smiley90

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH HOLD THE FUCK ON HERE. STOP THE TRAIN.

Youre telling me that there is no online fantasy mode in the new Be a GM mode? Woah WTF is all that about? The only reason I gave a shit about this.

Apparently they decided against it because a 30 people 45 rounds draft would take too long... Which is true for randoms, but if you organize it it's definitely possible. They could've just included it as an option... But oh well... At least the rest looks awesome, and randomizing will provide some entertainment too. I can live without fantasy...

Copy from other thread, fir those interested, link in the first quote:
I
Did you mean to have quotes in your post? It seems like it, but i dont see them.

Also, it's slightly annoying, but i can see how annoying it'd be to draft full NHL and AHL teams and I'm actually okay with that.

I like this. Also wish we'd have a "small" fantasy draft for like 2 rounds and then randomize the rest, so there's SOME choice, but as it stands I'm okay with that.

But FUCK YOU EA WHY NO ENTRY DRAFT THAT WAS GOING TO BE THE BEST PART.

Everything else looks great, loving the different modes, i think we should do a GAF-ALL-GM league with 1 GM per team and all simulated games to make a manager league, and then maybe join an online teamplay league as a gaf-all-players 1 single team. (? If that makes sense)

AWESOME.

Also awesome.

YESSSSSSSSSS love it.

Overall, Entry Draft is my biggest setback, but with priority we'll see how it works... Slightly disappointed, but they probably did it for time-reasons (since a 10 round entry draft with 30 players would take forever), so I can live with it. Sounds AMAZING overall.

I knew they would find a way to screw this up, knew it. Guess I'm waiting for it to drop in price when it comes out now, such BS. No entry draft (not liking the sound of the free agents and unrestricted free agents thing) and no fantasy draft really put a complete damper in what I was hoping for, who cares if it takes a lot of time to do, if the players want to do it, let them do it!! Yeah they added randomization but I can see that ending horrible for a few people. Ugh, I will wait for more info on the entry draft and the new trading system for the online mode but I'm not liking what I am hearing right now at all.

Marvie_3

Banned
Should just be one sim league(30 GMs) and one playable league(30 people, 1 on each team).

Smiley90

Everybody calm down, marvie is smart:

Oooooooh! We can just do a fantasy draft OUTSIDE of the game and then do all the "picks" via trades before the season starts! Smart call, a bit of a hassle, but eliminates the problem.

Holy fuck. Did Norfolk win so many games because they are dirty as fuck?

And their fans are some of the worst i've seen in a while. Approaching Habs level of douchebaggery.

Razorskin

----- ------
Holy fuck. Did Norfolk win so many games because they are dirty as fuck?

And their fans are some of the worst i've seen in a while. Approaching Habs level of douchebaggery.

You're just butt hurt that they're showing the truculence, testosterone and pugnacity your organization lacks and clamours for.

Smiley90

Some great impressions of the new "True Performance Skating" in NHL 13 here:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8669597.page

I'll just post a few selected quotes from ONE of the guys that wrote their impressions down, there's way more in the link.

Well, whether you like it or not - and I like it - the new skating engine is going to change the way you play the game. From the opening faceoff of my first game, it was evident I had some relearning to do. Many of my tendencies from NHL 12 were going to have to go, most notably my stop-and-go, all-out playstyle. From my first strides, I felt like my player was really working against the ice, really having to dig to get going and gather some momentum. This is something I really felt was lacking in previous NHL titles [...]

In my time with NHL 13, I was able to notice a distinct difference in the players, and the ease with which they were able to stop, go, and change direction. The difference between a dangler like Datsyuk and a lugnut like Bertuzzi was very evident, as Datsyuk was able to cut much more sharply, accelerate much more quickly, and put the brakes on much more effectively to avoid a hit. Poor Bert regularly coughed up the puck while trying to figure-skate, and once, even blew a tire trying to veer out of the offensive corner and fell down. [...]

With NHL 13, the days of mashing L3 to hustle are gone. Instead, you press it down once and hold it, and your player quickly puts his head down and accelerates to top speed. As a result, races for a loose puck are much more exciting, and potentially much more costly to lose. The differential between a player who is gliding or skating normally and a player who is at top speed is pretty large, and if you get caught standing still, you're going to pay. Dump and chase has suddenly become much more effective, and pinching in on defense without someone covering you can have disastrous consequences. As a result, gap control and good positional play are going to double in importance. [...]

The ability to streak up the ice at peak speed is exhilarating. Blowing by a defenseman for a breakaway or an odd man rush is one of the most exciting moments in hockey, and the game does a good job of capturing that. The tradeoff for that explosive ability, of course, is control. Getting through the neutral zone with the throttle pinned down was easy - maybe too easy, to some - but cutting in to get to the front of the net was not. While you're at top speed, you're much easier to knock down, easier to strip the puck from, and much less agile, which means I garnered a healthy amount of turnovers testing this new feature out, and regularly found myself rolling into the corner, looking out the earhole of my helmet. [...]

My personal issue, however, was timing. You might get lucky and score 5% of the time at top speed, but for the most part, you're going to have a much better chance if you slow down and get in control, which means letting up on the L3. It takes a couple of seconds to get your control back, and in those couple of seconds, the defensemen chasing you are catching up (they can hustle too, you know). Mesh this with the fact that deking felt a little more sluggish (trust me, it's a good thing), and suddenly it's not so easy as "backhand, forehand, shoot". [...]

On the endurance end, players that hustle all game long are going to find themselves slowing down by the 10 minute mark of each period. It takes a lot out of your player, and makes you much less effective on the ice. In versus play, which is where I started testing, I regularly had all four lines at 50% fatigue - or worse - due to my heinous abuse of L3. [...]

As a whole, my concerns about the new skating engine proved to be unfounded, and after a few games, playing hockey felt more natural and realistic than it ever has. Your first few games will likely be comical (I'm glad I played against the AI a bit before I stepped onto the ice against another human), but once everything falls into place, a lot of great things open up. It's not game-breaking, it's not a breakaway-fest, and trying to power past a defenseman who is in position leads to you getting your bell rung, just like it should be. I've not always been the most positive guy in the world, especially regarding NHL 12, but NHL 13 is taking the series in a new direction, and I'm definitely on board with what I've seen so far.

EDIT:
One particular quote stands out:

Does the new skating engine reduce figure skating?

Definitely. It's much harder to pivot and do all the things we hate about certain players in NHL 12, and in OTP, our low stat guys were losing the puck almost TOO much when attempting to "dance" on the ice.

........actually surprised EA hasn't come out with a figure skating game, they could just take the "fun" out of one of the NHL games and release it with a corrupt judge sim

RS4-

Too bad pucks are still taped to sticks and you can stick handle through a team, black Friday mob and get hit by a truck and still maintain control.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Glad to hear theyre really trying to cut down on the figure skating.
Yes, thank god, this shit is out of control in NHL 12, especially with the ease some of the bigger players can do it.

Too bad pucks are still taped to sticks and you can stick handle through a team, black Friday mob and get hit by a truck and still maintain control.
:lol :lol one step at a time?....

Smiley90

Actually they supposedly increased pokechecks, so that it goes towards the puck instead of just straight, so you'll be able to knock the puck off a forward more easily if they don't pay attention/are going at high speed.

Marvie_3

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkuorBwB4aY#

Looks like they're (hopefully) taking the magnet puck way down.

Yes, thank god, this shit is out of control in NHL 12, especially with the ease some of the bigger players can do it.

Doesn't help when height/weight have zero effect on your player and a lot of the attributes don't work.

Red_Man

Apparently Bergevien and crew have met with all the coaching candidates and will make a decision this weekend and announce it early next weekend, also Therrien apparently has had 3 interviews....

hR9jV.png

Smiley90

Apparently Bergevien and crew have met with all the coaching candidates and will make a decision this weekend and announce it early next weekend, also Therrien apparently has had 3 interviews....

hR9jV.png

I like how this offseason is going so far, with Chicago, Detroit and the Habs (well...........) already counting themselves out. One of Toronto/Vancouver will probably get pretty angry too once we know the Luongo-trade details, if that's happening.

I like how this offseason is going so far, with Chicago, Detroit and the Habs (well...........) already counting themselves out. One of Toronto/Vancouver will probably get pretty angry too once we know the Luongo-trade details, if that's happening.
I feel like if Luongo takes the Leafs to an 8th seed next season. Statues will be erected across the city of him. The playoff clinching day would be known as Luongo day.

Smiley90

I feel like if Luongo takes the Leafs to an 8th seed next season. Statues will be erected across the city of him. The playoff clinching day would be known as Luongo day.

Then they'll miss the playoffs again the year after and he'll be blamed and get traded.

RS4-

I think the Leafs should go for Hasek instead.
Pretty sure puck physics in 13 are still a train wreck. Slow passes that rebound/bounce off players and goalies harder than shots just like the previous years.

Physics based checking will be all fucked up.

Red_Man

Biebz wears every teams hat, I wouldn't put much stock into it, he probably doesn't even know what sport the wings play.

Top Bottom