• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Good words, cheers folks :)

I got my mind off it primarily by getting my hockey stick and running through some puck handling on the driveway (with a plastic street puck). If I keep doing this every time I need a distraction then I should be Sidney Crosby by next week.

The power of hockey.
Yeah when it rains, it pours. Least things can't get worse...well...until the Leafs get Ryan? :D

Hope things work out for you soon though.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Got evicted on sunday, split up with +1 today. I was doing some serious thinking (I think he meant to say serious drinking) this morning, and now I've come out with clarity of 'if all the bad shit is happening now, then the good business is around the corner'.

I bet it's gonna be something cool like a CBA agreement.

So yeah, happy as Larry, but my NHLagebros cheer me up when I need it. A power which should only rarely be used, lest this place turns into some massive 'irl whingefest' thread. But eh, a death, a firing, an eviction and a breakup all in the space of three weeks make it seem worthy.

Shit, sorry to hear that man :(

Montresor

There's something I have to get off of my chest. I don't want to post it in the relevant thread because it would be extremely disrespectful. I'm talking about the neogaf user Seth and his thread about his deceased brother and his last wish. I'm not going to criticize the tipping in that thread given the circumstances of his brother's death.

I'm working part-time as a limo driver (lincoln town car) and I make a nice bit of money with tips. Last night I was given $150 tip for taking a family to a show, waiting 2-3 hours, and bringing them back home, not including what I charged for the trip itself. This was a big family, so two cars were needed, and I had a partner working another car that night. I'm splitting the tip between me and him 50/50. It doesn't matter that I own the connection to the family and that the partner is essentially a third-party contractor. The tip is being split 50/50 either way.

Something that really made me angry about the tipping in that thread was the notion of calling ahead of time to make sure the restaurants don't share tips between waiters and cooks/bus boys. God that really burned my soul. Like it would be a crime for that $500 to go towards everyone that made your meal possible.

Heretic

Damn Dastardly... Sorry to hear that. Any chance you get back with the lady? I went through a break up that lasted years... for me at least. She was over it pretty quickly.

Montresor, that does seem like an odd thing to ask before hand... I wonder if he decided that for himself or if that was decided by the donors.

Montresor

Did a mod edit Dastardly's post? Referring to "I think he meant to say serious drinking."

Dastardly, sucks to hear about the eviction and break-up. =(

Acid08

Banned
Got evicted on sunday, split up with +1 today. I was doing some serious thinking (I think he meant to say serious drinking) this morning, and now I've come out with clarity of 'if all the bad shit is happening now, then the good business is around the corner'.

I bet it's gonna be something cool like a CBA agreement.

So yeah, happy as Larry, but my NHLagebros cheer me up when I need it. A power which should only rarely be used, lest this place turns into some massive 'irl whingefest' thread. But eh, a death, a firing, an eviction and a breakup all in the space of three weeks make it seem worthy.
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE
Aw Dastardly, that is a really rough series of events. Try, as hard as it might be, to be positive. Places to live come and go and you will find more soaking wet tang to love.

http://imgur.com/nEoKf.jpg]

I took that picture for Ducks-Age in Quebec, wtf is it?

There's something I have to get off of my chest. I don't want to post it in the relevant thread because it would be extremely disrespectful. I'm talking about the neogaf user Seth and his thread about his deceased brother and his last wish. I'm not going to criticize the tipping in that thread given the circumstances of his brother's death.

I'm working part-time as a limo driver (lincoln town car) and I make a nice bit of money with tips. Last night I was given $150 tip for taking a family to a show, waiting 2-3 hours, and bringing them back home, not including what I charged for the trip itself. This was a big family, so two cars were needed, and I had a partner working another car that night. I'm splitting the tip between me and him 50/50. It doesn't matter that I own the connection to the family and that the partner is essentially a third-party contractor. The tip is being split 50/50 either way.

Something that really made me angry about the tipping in that thread was the notion of calling ahead of time to make sure the restaurants don't share tips between waiters and cooks/bus boys. God that really burned my soul. Like it would be a crime for that $500 to go towards everyone that made your meal possible.

I agree with you 110%

CREMSteve

I haven't followed that thread, but if it played out as you describe, I can't say that I disagree with you.

CREMSteve

Cristobal Huet wants to come back to the NHL after a two-year exile in Europe.

Sent overseas by the Chicago Blackhawks to provide salary-cap relief from the final two seasons of a four-year, $22.4 million contract after they won the 2010 Stanley Cup with Huet on the bench, the French-born goaltender is eager to prove he should still be playing in the sport's top League.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=638897

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
OFFER SHEET! DO IT HOMER!

I love PK. He's got alotta Hartnell-ness to him. And we'll teach him to back up his shit in Philly.
I'd actually be happy if that happened, it would save Bergevin all this work. They would match whatever Philly could throw at them.

Red_Man

Wouldn't you end up giving him more than you would've had to otherwise?
He's our #1 D - man and will be for a long time, I'm not too concerned with how much he gets paid. I just hope they can get a long term, but I imagine he wants a shorter contract so he can put up better numbers under a competent coach and team, and then get a massive contract after that.

Cactus

Banned
I'll probably get blasted for this, but Subban reminds me a lot of Dion Phaneuf. Tough, aggressive, and capable of dictating the pace of the game while on the ice, but prone to mental lapses on occasion.

I'll probably get blasted for this, but Subban reminds me a lot of Dion Phaneuf. Tough, aggressive, and capable of dictating the pace of the game while on the ice, but prone to mental lapses on occasion.

PK likes to dick around with the puck a lot more. I mean he's also better at it.... but he really seems to enjoy having the puck on his stick.

Red_Man

He definitely has some defensive lapse, he's a high risk player like you said, he's been a healthy scratch because of it. His defensive play has picked up though, and he's invaluable to the team.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

You mean Phaneuf when he first started with the Flames?

Now, he rarely takes shots from the point, and he misses the ones he does take. He generally doesn't go for the big hit, and he's caught out of position quite a bit. Also doesn't have the speed to get back into the play. He is tough...but rarely fights...

Socreges

Banned
Canucks talking to Arnott? wut
Why not? Kesler may not start the season and Malhotra is not what he once was.

I didn't realize that SpectreFire's post about Canucks/Doan was actually true (seemed like a continuation of the joke). He went for dinner with Canucks management last night in Vancouver.

God help us if they're offering him anything close to the rumoured demands.

Cactus

Banned

Now, he rarely takes shots from the point, and he misses the ones he does take. He generally doesn't go for the big hit, and he's caught out of position quite a bit. Also doesn't have the speed to get back into the play. He is tough...but rarely fights...

Eh, I think he's still a great player. He's facing top competition and playing upwards of 25 minutes a game so it makes sense that defensive responsibility comes before hitting/physicality. As long as he puts up 40 points, plays 23+ minutes a game, and lays down a huge hit on occasion, he'll be a valuable asset.

He has to cut down on the mental lapses, though, especially in the D-zone, but my guess is that he'll improve when the team has a few more reliable defenceman to share the tough minutes with. Dion and Gunnarsson can't do it all. Hopefully Franson and Holzer step up and play well in defensive situations when given the chance.

Socreges

Banned
Eh. He was decent for the Blues last year. Just expect him to really run out of gas by the end of the season and in the playoffs.
If he were to sign here, I could see him being a healthy scratch for part of the season; he'd also probably log fewer minutes (10-12ish). He's also claimed that his fitness level is the best it's ever been (i.e., "please sign me! i'll be good, i promise!").

Montresor

Unnecessarily harsh. He is an artist when it comes to laying out big hits. Also, someone on hfboards did some analysis that showed that Phaneuf has a similar shots to shots-missed ratio as other offensive defenseman, and has a similar shooting percentage too. I'll citw the post if I can find it later, when I'm not on my iPhone. And Phaneuf is in a five-way tie for 6th in goals among defenseman. He had a damn good year, aside from his inability to single-handedly pull the Leafs out of their historically embarrassing tailspin.

Phaneuf is still one of the best open-ice hitters in the game and produces decent offensive numbers, regardless of whatever stigmas he has as a player. I think what hurts him more than anything is the big contract, but I am very happy with Dion as the Leaf captain.

edit: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=53179775&postcount=38

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Eh. He was decent for the Blues last year. Just expect him to really run out of gas by the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Wow, he sounds like he'd fit right in on the Wings.

If he were to sign here, I could see him being a healthy scratch for part of the season; he'd also probably log fewer minutes (10-12ish). He's also claimed that his fitness level is the best it's ever been (i.e., "please sign me! i'll be good, i promise!").

PTO. Book it.

On a non hockey related note, just found a restaurant with a burger where the bun is two bacon grilled cheese sandwiches, with an egg and fried onion rings and barbecue sauce. They also have 140 rums in house, ignoring the beers they have on tap.

New Olympics watching location found.

How has anybody not offer sheeted PK Subban yet? Seems strange that Flyers would dig for Weber but not for PK.

Not that I'd want Montreal to lose him, quite the opposite, I just find it strange.

Damn Dastardly... Sorry to hear that. Any chance you get back with the lady? I went through a break up that lasted years... for me at least. She was over it pretty quickly.

God no. Always speaks her mind honestly and openly at the most inappropriate of times. All well and good, but if you don't have social graces like 'tact' or the ability to be considerate of your partner (yet expect the same in return) then you're only going to constantly be a source of conflict and arguments every single day, like what we were having.

Did a mod edit Dastardly's post? Referring to "I think he meant to say serious drinking."

Dastardly, sucks to hear about the eviction and break-up. =(

Nah, I threw that in there. It's a Simpsons quote. This thread needs more Marvie to validate all the obscure Simpsons references that get thrown around from time to time :p

I took that picture for Ducks-Age in Quebec, wtf is it?

GLORIOUS IS WHAT IT IS

Vman

For those of you with Netflix, the 30 for 30 documentary series was just added. One of them is on how Gretzky was trade to the kings. its a great watch.

Top Bottom