• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Quick

Banned
In the battle for greater sports dominance, homophobia will become our greatest weapon

UjQ8f.jpg

ibozR8uFXZauHx.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...greg-jamison-shane-doan-glendale-city-council
Greg Jamison still doesn’t have all the cash needed to finalize his purchase of Phoenix Coyotes hockey team from the National Hockey League and then also operate the franchise after a sale.

Operating capital could be the newest obstacle facing the Jamison purchase and the Coyotes tenuous situation in Glendale, Ariz.

Essentially, the prospective Coyotes owner needs the money, financing or favorable sales terms so he can pay the bills, meet payroll and keep the lights on after a sale.

The Jamison camp and other backers of a Coyotes sale still say a deal could get done soon if more capital is raised or an accommodating deal is worked out with the NHL.

More at the link.

Not only can he not scrounge up the money for the sale, he also won't have any money to operate it after the purchase.

Yep, this isn't happening. Looks like the NHL is going to be losing $30 million again this season.

Doesn't seem the season will start on time:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/08/no_progress_in_latest_round_of.html
The National Hockey League Players Association has at least 76,000 pages of financial documents to review before it meets against next week with the owners in an attempt to hammer out a collective bargaining agreement and avoid delaying the start the 2012-13 season.
Assuming, of course, that there will be a season.

76K pages is a lot to read before Sept.15th

HAHAHAHA. They've got a bunch of temp attorneys and temp accountants going through and cataloging it as we speak. It'll take a few days. Tops.

This will not be the problem with a deal going forward. It's an expected part of collective bargaining.

Well the 76K pages are supposed to be just the start, PA wants independent audit results of all 30 teams. And I know they got an army of temps to go through that.

Still think they're in no hurry to get a deal done

Well the 76K pages are supposed to be just the start, PA wants independent audit results of all 30 teams. And I know they got an army of temps to go through that.

They don't need a deal to have a season, and neither side has said they will demand a lockout. Fehr has gone on record as pretty much saying he's fine with continuing the current CBA for a year while they work it out.

They don't need a deal to have a season, and neither side has said they will demand a lockout. Fehr has gone on record as pretty much saying he's fine with continuing the current CBA for a year while they work it out.

And the NHL would never agree to playing with no CBA, players can just go on strike once the season is over for example.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

4 of the 5 Russian five are confirmed for alumni game including.... FEDOROV!!!

Konstantinov will be there too though I doubt he can skate, but if somehow he does manage to get on the ice with skates, the crowd is going to explode!!

Larionov
Fetisov
Fedorov
Konstantinov

Come on Kozlov, you know you want to!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

4 of the 5 Russian five are confirmed for alumni game including.... FEDEROV!!!

Konstantinov will be there too thought I doubt he can skate, but if somehow he does manage to get on the ice with skates, the crowd is going to explode!!

Larionov
Fetisov
Federov
Konstantinov

I will be so pissed if the games end up cancelled due to a lockout

So many good players on both sides

Also want to see how well Gordie Howe and Johnny Bower play

I hate those guys.

My favorite moment was when they beat the Flyers to win the cup! :D

I am though seriously becoming more excited for the alumni game than the actual Winter Classic game and apparently Slava Kozlov does want to play as well according to the article on the Wings site. Hopefully this may convince Shanny, Hull, and Yzerman to lace them up and join them too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I'm pretty sure that will never happen.

Plinko

4 of the 5 Russian five are confirmed for alumni game including.... FEDEROV!!!

Konstantinov will be there too though I doubt he can skate, but if somehow he does manage to get on the ice with skates, the crowd is going to explode!!

Larionov
Fetisov
Federov
Konstantinov

I also am very excited for the Alumni game more than the regular game, but the English teacher in me must point out the fact that you spelled Fedorov's name wrong.

Does anyone here have GameCenter? I'm thinking about buying it for next year and then just using a VPN to bypass the blackout of local games. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than paying for cable

It's incomprehensible how you could say "close enough" as a Red Wings fan. Those Russians made your franchise!

Next you'll be spelling Konstantinov with a C or something.

That I could not do. However the Fedorov one was typing without checking and I was too lazy to fix it once Plinko caught it. Oh well, stuff happens.

Edit: there I fixed it in my original post

In Canucks news... Kesler's agent confirmed that Gillis was mistaken when he said that Kesler was ahead of schedule and could start the season. Kesler's firmly etched to come back mid-December at the earliest.

Also, Eddie Lack is prepared and willing to sign a long-term extension and spend next season with the Wolves.

Plinko

They're required to hand over those sorts of things by law if they have them. They can argue over the "relevance" of certain things, but the employers are required to turn over financial information in the course of collective bargaining.

I guess I meant that they won't ever be happy with them. The same thing happened in the NFL labor struggle. The players refused to believe any of the numbers.

ACID08 CANADIAN UPDATE:

Tim Hortons coffee is mediocre.

It is. But it's also dirt cheap. You're paying for cheap dirt.

Also I worked at a Tim Hortons for a week when I first got to Vancouver, and it was fantastic. Free food and donuts and... Well, that was it actually.

I don't drink coffee but I heard they watered it down in recent years.

It's literally just straight-drip coffee. There's no real way for it to be watered down, unless the beans themselves had content removed.

Does anyone here have GameCenter? I'm thinking about buying it for next year and then just using a VPN to bypass the blackout of local games. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than paying for cable

Had it last season. It's FANTASTIC. Had no trouble with blackouts obviously, and had some SERIOUS problems with the iOS app on 3G (authorisation bug, keeps disconnecting you saying that you're logged in somewhere else). But that was it.

0.jpg

"Hurrrr yeah well I guess I COULD play better, and skate hard, but that's.. like.. effort.. and I'm going through a lot in the outside world with a baby and stuff and... It's just HARD y'know"

getzlaf-smile.jpg

REAL CANADIAN LAZY-ASSSSSSSSSS RYAN GETZLAF

Columbus-Blue-Jackets-looking-to-trade-No-2-Entry-Draft-Pick-NHL-Offseason-Update-162834.jpg

"We've acquired Brandon Dubinsky from the New York Rangers in exchange for REAL CANADIAN HERO RICK NASH"

ricknash-lumberjack.jpg

"That's it? Is he serious?!"

toews1.jpg

REAL CANADIAN HERROOOOOOOO

toro5741

That avatar... Are you... where... what...

I read this thread more than I post, but I do pop in from time to time (hence my avatar of Kabanov peeking out from behind the curtain).

Where does that leave your 3rd goalie? Who was he again?

It's either Kevin Poulin or Anders Nilsson, either of which I think is more than ready to be an NHL backup. Poulin's most likely got the inside track though, and is being groomed to be the starter in 2013-14. You might recall Nilsson as the guy that got shelled in his debut start against the Penguins (Crosby's comeback game) but he came back with two solid starts against the Devils later in the year.

Top Bottom