• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

That avatar... Are you... where... what...

toros is classic peoples. Great Islanders fan.

It's either Kevin Poulin or Anders Nilsson, either of which I think is more than ready to be an NHL backup. Poulin's most likely got the inside track though, and is being groomed to be the starter in 2013-14. You might recall Nilsson as the guy that got shelled in his debut start against the Penguins (Crosby's comeback game) but he came back with two solid starts against the Devils later in the year.

Ah that's right. I remember most of the backlash of Crosbys comeback game being the fact he was up against an AHL goaltender. So he'll be your AHL teams starter then?

So what happens if DiPietro has a full healthy year? (or even.. gasp.. MAKES A COMEBACK/DEBUT!) Still a backup?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I read this thread more than I post, but I do pop in from time to time (hence my avatar of Kabanov peeking out from behind the curtain).

It's either Kevin Poulin or Anders Nilsson, either of which I think is more than ready to be an NHL backup. Poulin's most likely got the inside track though, and is being groomed to be the starter in 2013-14. You might recall Nilsson as the guy that got shelled in his debut start against the Penguins (Crosby's comeback game) but he came back with two solid starts against the Devils later in the year.

Sweet, then I'd be more than happy to hear your thoughts on Streit&Niederreiter if you don't mind sharing!

toro5741

Ah that's right. I remember most of the backlash of Crosbys comeback game being the fact he was up against an AHL goaltender. So he'll be your AHL teams starter then?

Yeah, Nilsson will be the starter in Bridgeport if Poulin's on the Isles - otherwise they'll platoon like they did most of last year. One of them will be the starter in 2013 though, possibly even sooner if the Isles end up out of it early and decide to try and move Nabokov...

So what happens if DiPietro has a full healthy year? (or even.. gasp.. MAKES A COMEBACK/DEBUT!) Still a backup?

I'd love to see that happen, as I've never seen somebody get shit on so much for being injured as DiPietro has... However, I think the reality is that he's had so many injuries and surgeries that his physical ability has degraded to the point that he's probably a back-up at best for the remainder of his career.

Sweet, then I'd be more than happy to hear your thoughts on Streit&Niederreiter if you don't mind sharing!

I like Streit - he doesn't really strike me as captain material (that C is going to Tavares or Okposo sooner or later) and he had a disappointing season coming back from the injury last year, but to be fair he had some horrid partners on D that didn't help matters...

Niederreiter should have never been brought up last year, or at least not allowed to stay with the big club once it was clear he was injured in pre-season. He looked really LOST at times, and might be best served starting in the AHL next year. Again to be fair, he was pretty much relegated to 4th line duty most of the year, so it's not like he really got a chance to play with anybody that was going to elevate his game.

Smiley90

I'd love to see that happen, as I've never seen somebody get shit on so much for being injured as DiPietro has... However, I think the reality is that he's had so many injuries and surgeries that his physical ability has degraded to the point that he's probably a back-up at best for the remainder of his career.

I like Streit - he doesn't really strike me as captain material (that C is going to Tavares or Okposo sooner or later) and he had a disappointing season coming back from the injury last year, but to be fair he had some horrid partners on D that didn't help matters...

Niederreiter should have never been brought up last year, or at least not allowed to stay with the big club once it was clear he was injured in pre-season. He looked really LOST at times, and might be best served starting in the AHL next year. Again to be fair, he was pretty much relegated to 4th line duty most of the year, so it's not like he really got a chance to play with anybody that was going to elevate his game.

Mhmmm thanks, pretty much in line with what I remembered hearing. Was sad to see that Streit hasn't found his Montreal-60p-season game again, but I hope he comes back big time this year.

I hope Niederreiter gets a full, nice year to develop instead of being rushed and all, and if he tears it up in the AHL then you can always call him up later... Thanks for the answers, always glad to hear some "first-hand" feedback on my fellow countrymen.

Heretic

0.jpg

"Hurrrr yeah well I guess I COULD play better, and skate hard, but that's.. like.. effort.. and I'm going through a lot in the outside world with a baby and stuff and... It's just HARD y'know"

getzlaf-smile.jpg

REAL CANADIAN LAZY-ASSSSSSSSSS RYAN GETZLAF

Fucking spot on!

holmgren.jpg

"I'm offering Shea Weber a ridiculous amount of money."

ap-201202271750642245428.jpeg

"Bitch, please. I run free agency."

2011-02-28.jpg

"Get me REAL CANADIAN HERO RICK NASH."

031112-paul-holmgren-400.jpg

"Shit."

0726S3_Nashsmall_60p.jpg

REAL CANADIAN HEROOOOOOOO

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Drive is my favourite Ryan Gosling movie, and it's awesome just for the
Hendricks death
scene.

It was the first movie I'd seen in a while where I didn't feel like the producers were insulting me. Real respect for classic cinematography, with a nice European touch.

Socreges

Banned
A couple friends told me Drive was boring. No idea why I trusted them. One of them likes likes Transformers (Bay) and Family Guy.

Quick

Banned
It was the first movie I'd seen in a while where I didn't feel like the producers were insulting me. Real respect for classic cinematography, with a nice European touch.

This is pretty much my opinion on it. So American, yet so European. :lol

Music selection is amazing, too.

A couple friends told me Drive was boring. No idea why I trusted them. One of them likes likes Transformers (Bay) and Family Guy.

Really depends how you look at the movie, midway through watching, I heard a couple of people yawn or talk about where "the action" is. I walked in looking to kill a couple of hours, and figured I'd watch Drive, since it had some buzz during TIFF.

isAxikM6aZ9Rr.jpg

YEP.

There was a huge outcry from most people, because they saw the trailer expecting the film to be some Gone in 60 Seconds popcorn crapfest.

... instead of the trailer spoiling 80% of the movie. Thank god I saw the movie first and the trailer second.

Socreges

Banned
Right. I've never had a problem with slow-moving films. I loved Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, a movie that truly separates the men from the boys.

Smiley90

Right. I've never had a problem with slow-moving films. I loved Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, a movie that truly separates the men from the boys.

I couldn't get past the 90min mark during Benjamin Button, that was most definitely one of THE most slow moving and boring movies I attempted to watch. THAT is a true test.

Red_Man

I didn't care for Benjamin Button either, but Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was pretty great. I still need to re-watch it to soak in everything.

Benjamin Button is way, WAY worse man. The only other movie that gets close to Benjamin Button is The Horse Whisperer.
You don't understand. I had to watch a movie in which the high point was a potential lesbian moment between two average looking women that never happened.

Smiley90

You don't understand. I had to watch a movie in which the high point was a potential lesbian moment between two average looking women that never happened.

At least there's soccer in it man. And girls. As opposed to Robert Redford and a horse. Think about THAT for a second.

Red_Man

I sat through 10,000 BC in theaters, so all of you need to shut it, you don't know pain.

Beckham has Keira Knightley though.

And agreed on slow-moving movies. If it's done well, it creates tone and suspense, which is one of those hidden gems in creative movies that allows you to enjoy an extra dimension of them. Some people can't deal with it because they get distracted and can't pay attenti
21445186.jpg

Smiley90

I sat through 10,000 BC in theaters, so all of you need to shut it, you don't know pain.

This is what makes you the winner of all of this.

However, I stand by my statement that Benjamin Button is one of the most boring movies, if not THE most boring movie in the past 2 decades (at least).

God I hate that fucking piece of shit, I hope he fucking chokes on a god damn bag of lays and his stupid ugly bald head gets blown to smithereens by a shotgun, mother fucking shit munching fuck face.

Red_Man

Cup odds as of now:

Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1
New York Rangers 9/1
Vancouver Canucks 11/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
Philadelphia Flyers 13/1
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1
Detroit Red Wings 15/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
St. Louis Blues 16/1
Minnesota Wild 18/1
San Jose Sharks 20/1
Buffalo Sabres 22/1
Carolina Hurricanes 22/1
Nashville Predators 25/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 25/1
Washington Capitals 25/1
New Jersey Devils 28/1
Edmonton Oilers 30/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 35/1
Florida Panthers 40/1
Anaheim Ducks 40/1
Colorado Avalanche 40/1
Montreal Canadiens 40/1
Ottawa Senators 40/1
Phoenix Coyotes 40/1
Calgary Flames 50/1
Dallas Stars 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
New York Islanders 75/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 100/1

Smiley90

Cup odds as of now:

Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1
New York Rangers 9/1
Vancouver Canucks 11/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
Philadelphia Flyers 13/1
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1
Detroit Red Wings 15/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
St. Louis Blues 16/1
Minnesota Wild 18/1
San Jose Sharks 20/1
Buffalo Sabres 22/1
Carolina Hurricanes 22/1
Nashville Predators 25/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 25/1
Washington Capitals 25/1
New Jersey Devils 28/1
Edmonton Oilers 30/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 35/1
Florida Panthers 40/1
Anaheim Ducks 40/1
Colorado Avalanche 40/1
Montreal Canadiens 40/1
Ottawa Senators 40/1
Phoenix Coyotes 40/1
Calgary Flames 50/1
Dallas Stars 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
New York Islanders 75/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 100/1

That's the funniest thing in that whole list. (Poor Columbus though)

Socreges

Banned
It has been reported that Messier had a clause in his contract that would compensate him if the value of the Canuck franchise increased over the life of his contract, which expired in 2002.

Messier ended up playing only three seasons with the Canucks, who exercised an option in the contract to buy him out for $2 million after the 1999-2000 season.
OK, hang on. Does the "life of the contract" include the two seasons that he didn't play with them? So that would mean he got compensated because the value of the franchise increased after he left?

That would be amazing. Part of me hopes that's the case.

If only the first three seasons were included, and the franchise's value did increase over that time, then alright. Give him his money. Canucks' fault for giving him that contract in the first place.

Well if revenue sharing goes ahead then... HEY MESSICROTCH THAT'S ANAHEIMS MONEY FUCK OFF

I'm swigging Captain Morgan madly and it's making me want to look up Anaheim on google maps just to see what it looks like. I watched one of the episodes of the old Disney Mighty Ducks cartoon and the Ponda owner (their boss, he has a ponytail lol) was driving around Anaheim and it looked like god damn Miami or something.

and there was this which I completely forgot about:

mwBL1.png

I think I spammed it a bunch when we first got Lapierre or something

oh yeah and the jersey numbers they wear are 1 (Hiller), 15 (Getzlaf), 13 (oldskool Selanne), 23 (Beauchemin)... (and 00)... COINCIDENCE?

And then I went on eBay to see if there was an old Wildwing figure so I could put it on my mantle and I came across this...

NPv5b.jpg

You thought the old third jerseys were ugly?

Bidded $10 AUD on it

AAAAAAAND THEEEEEEEEEEN I went to GIS a pic of Duke L'orange and came across several reasons (prob nsfw) why I fucking hate the internet

Smiley90

OK, hang on. Does the "life of the contract" include the two seasons that he didn't play with them? So that would mean he got compensated because the value of the franchise increased after he left?

That would be amazing. Part of me hopes that's the case.

If only the first three seasons were included, and the franchise's value did increase over that time, then alright. Give him his money. Canucks' fault for giving him that contract in the first place.

I think the dispute is that he wants money for increase value for the period of time AFTER he was bought out until his contract was "supposed" to end (so, for the years 2000-2002). He rightfully deserves the money up to 99/00 (shitty contract), and then the Canucks bought him out, claiming contract over and he gets no more money. He claims that clause would still be active, despite his salary being bought out? Since I'm not sure the CBA accounts for buying out such a ridiculously weird kind of clause, so the clause was probably active until 2002, despite his salary being bought out.

At least that's what I'd speculate this is about, that's only my impression though and I might be totally off.

Socreges

Banned
I think the dispute is that he wants money for increase value for the period of time AFTER he was bought out until his contract was "supposed" to end (so, for the years 2000-2002). He rightfully deserves the money up to 99/00 (shitty contract), and then the Canucks bought him out, claiming contract over and he gets no more money. He claims that clause would still be active, despite his salary being bought out? Since I'm not sure the CBA accounts for buying out such a ridiculously weird kind of clause, so the clause was probably active until 2002, despite his salary being bought out.

At least that's what I'd speculate this is about, that's only my impression though and I might be totally off.
I think you just said exactly what I said.

Anyone gots the info?

I can't believe Messier would be that dirty, though.

Smiley90

I think you just said exactly what I said.

Anyone gots the info?

I can't believe Messier would be that dirty, though.

Oh sorry, I must've misread your post, I somehow only saw the last part and read the first part... I don't even know how I read it, I just read it wrong. Yes, yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking too. And you better believe it.

Red_Man

You're responsible for me watching parts of the might ducks animated movie on youtube Dastardly. I'm choking on nostalgia here, haven't seen this stuff in a long time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Cup odds as of now:

Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1
New York Rangers 9/1
Vancouver Canucks 11/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
Philadelphia Flyers 13/1
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1
Detroit Red Wings 15/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
St. Louis Blues 16/1