• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Oh also I don't give two shits about nationalism. My comment about the milk bags wasn't fueled by patriotic fervor, just genuine concern for efficiency.

I can't help but feel like I'm typing something sleazy when I type milk bags.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Oh also I don't give two shits about nationalism. My comment about the milk bags wasn't fueled by patriotic fervor, just genuine concern for efficiency.

I can't help but feel like I'm typing something sleazy when I type milk bags.
I'm quite jealous you guys can buy alcohol in corner stores, even if you have to be 21 to do it.

Tabris

Hey Vancouverites, is it just me or does downtown Vancouver smell really bad right now? I guess the combination of muggy hot weather and rain. This must be what Toronto is like.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
montreal-screwjob.jpg

Opening up old wounds. :(

CREMSteve

Hah, some good "farewell" ads on Down Goes Brown.

ibgyIROwtAfNti.jpg

Ouch, but tough to argue with. :\ Although imo the Chara/Sens entry has to be even tougher to read for a fan.

As I see it, the Flames have done a good job of re-building on the fly. They've managed to drastically lower the average age of their roster from a few years ago when Feaster took over the GM job.

19-23 (4 players)
24-28 (11 players)
29-32 (5 players)
33+ (3 players)

While it's true that two of the three players in the 33+ age bracket are Iginla and Kiprusoff, they've also managed to secure some solid prospects in all positions during the last few drafts, something the team was pretty awful at during the Darryl Sutter years.

Sven Baertschi
John Gaudreau
Mark Jankowski
Michael Ferland
Markus Granlund
Ryan Howse
Max Reinhart
Patrick Sieloff
Tyler Wotherspoon
Laurent Brossoit

That's pretty much the face of the Flames in the next few years, and when you combine this with the skilled Free Agent signings this year, Dennis Wideman, Roman Cervenka and Jiri Hudler, things are looking up for the team IMO.

/homer analysis

At the very least, they should be more fun to watch this season. :)

As I see it, the Flames have done a good job of re-building on the fly. They've managed to drastically lower the average age of their roster from a few years ago when Feaster took over the GM job.

19-23 (4 players)
24-28 (11 players)
29-32 (5 players)
33+ (3 players)

While it's true that two of the three players in the 33+ age bracket are Iginla and Kiprusoff, they've also managed to secure some solid prospects in all positions during the last few drafts, something the team was pretty awful at during the Darryl Sutter years.

Sven Baertschi
John Gaudreau
Mark Jankowski
Michael Ferland
Markus Granlund
Ryan Howse
Max Reinhart
Patrick Sieloff
Tyler Wotherspoon
Laurent Brossoit

That's pretty much the face of the Flames in the next few years, and when you combine this with the skilled Free Agent signings this year, Dennis Wideman, Roman Cervenka and Jiri Hudler, things are looking up for the team IMO.

/homer analysis

Eh..... That is debatable, A team to look at who has done a good job re-tooling on the fly is Detroit when you look at the transition from those late 90's early 2000's years to the start of the salary cap era. Though we'll shall see if they can keep that up next season here.

Cagey

Banned
After a month-long descent into bar exam abyss, I realized I didn't follow any sports news beyond the super-major stories (so much so that NFL training camp actually surprised me).

Could someone give me a brief update on the NHL, from the week after free agency? Beyond the Weber saga, I'm out of the loop.

Eh..... That is debatable, A team to look at who has done a good job re-tooling on the fly is Detroit when you look at the transition from those late 90's early 2000's years to the start of the salary cap era. Though we'll shall see if they can keep that up next season here.

Nope...

After a month-long descent into bar exam abyss, I realized I didn't follow any sports news beyond the super-major stories (so much so that NFL training camp actually surprised me).

Could someone give me a brief update on the NHL, from the week after free agency? Beyond the Weber saga, I'm out of the loop.

Your captain left for Minnesota. Lou has taken up drinking heavily and laughing hysterically whenever anyone says "Vanderbeek."

O and Martin Brodeur is still over 40.

EDIT: Also, you should have come into the bar exam thread!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Doan is traveling around the country for free meals, NHL keeps extending Glendale lease, devils $20 million off debt payment that is due by August 14th. Leafs GMs (all 50 of them) took the summer off- Assholewontfireourcoach (I'm keeping this because I was typing out asshole and it autocorrected to that lol)

And CBA? Well... NHL keeps throwing papers and NHLPA says they are looking at it

You're not missing anything, really

Oh and Rick Nash was traded to the rangers

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

19-23 (4 players)
24-28 (11 players)
29-32 (5 players)
33+ (3 players)

Sven Baertschi
John Gaudreau
Mark Jankowski
Michael Ferland
Markus Granlund
Ryan Howse
Max Reinhart
Patrick Sieloff
Tyler Wotherspoon
Laurent Brossoit

/homer analysis

So is this what Leafs fans sound like to everyone? I now understand.

I'm so sorry.

Nope...

Your captain left for Minnesota. Lou has taken up drinking heavily and laughing hysterically whenever anyone says "Vanderbeek."

:(

You'll be in the same boat here if your defensemen keep getting injured and Briz decides he wants to quit hockey to join the next trip to mars.

Acid08

Banned
Crosby was born a day before me, dodged a bullet there ;).

Also I'm turning 22 tomorrow, the fuck am I doing with my life?

Cagey

Banned
Nope...

The subtext of the ZP move is that he's an avid golfer and wishes to get a few extra weeks on the course every year. Can't hate on that brah.

Vanderbeek :(

Bar exam thread? That must have been one depressing reel of neurosis and doomsday talk.

calder

As someone who finds the NFL thread scary I thought I'd post this here. I've been slowly enjoying the NFL more and more last few years, to the point now where I'm really excited for the new season to start. But I still don't have a favourite team. Who should I root for? The closest teams are the Vikings (no) and Packers I guess (also no, they just irritate me somehow) so geography doesn't help. Maybe Chicago? I kind of like that the Bears have a unlikable asshole at QB, and they don't seem like a front-runner pick or anything. But I hate almost all cities that have NHL teams that are or have been relevant in the past 20 years so this is tough.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
As someone who finds the NFL thread scary I thought I'd post this here. I've been slowly enjoying the NFL more and more last few years, to the point now where I'm really excited for the new season to start. But I still don't have a favourite team. Who should I root for? The closest teams are the Vikings (no) and Packers I guess (also no, they just irritate me somehow) so geography doesn't help. Maybe Chicago? I kind of like that the Bears have a unlikable asshole at QB, and they don't seem like a front-runner pick or anything. But I hate almost all cities that have NHL teams that are or have been relevant in the past 20 years so this is tough.

Serious question, what do you find so scary about it? I've just integrated in there this off season, all of them are pretty great dudes that don't mind if you ask "noob" questions. Of course you'll get some ribbing no matter what team you pick but that comes with the territory.

Acid08

Banned
As someone who finds the NFL thread scary I thought I'd post this here. I've been slowly enjoying the NFL more and more last few years, to the point now where I'm really excited for the new season to start. But I still don't have a favourite team. Who should I root for? The closest teams are the Vikings (no) and Packers I guess (also no, they just irritate me somehow) so geography doesn't help. Maybe Chicago? I kind of like tttat the Bears have a unlikable asshole at QB, and they don't seem like a front-runner pick or anything. But I hate almost all cities that have NHL teams that are or have been
relevant in the past 20 years so this is
tough.

Browns.

49er's

Cagey

Banned
I've dipped into the NFL thread, but the message board that I spend the bulk of my time on is a dedicated New York Giants forum, so I lose interest quickly.

calder

Serious question, what do you find so scary about it? I've just integrated in there this off season, all of them are pretty great dudes that don't mind if you ask "noob" questions. Of course you'll get some ribbing no matter what team you pick but that comes with the territory.

It just seems too active a thread for a noob question, and there isn't a question noobier than "what team should I cheer for". ;)

Eagles eh? Hmm I'll consider them, although I worked with an Eagles fan and I enjoyed mocking his team every time they failed over the years. 49ers is a team I had never considered, but the west coast thing may be annoying, but it's a big plus that there's no NHL team in SF I despise. I beg forgiveness for my shoddy Californian geography in advance, but I've always assumed SJ is quite a ways away from SF (as Americans look at these things, I'd consider them 'practically the same place' close) so I don't count the Sharks.

calder

It's a compliment. The only teams I know I don't dislike at best are, say, the Blue Jackets, the Islanders... uh there's probably a few more. The Predators maybe?

Although I don't really hate the Sharks, mainly because despite the sustained regular season success and occasionally eliminating teams I root for - things I normally hold against a franchise for quite a long time - they often play teams I hate a lot more in the second round.

Looks as though a lot of Avs players are returning to Denver today/this week. Maybe I'll get to catch training camp, check out Sgarbossa who apparently is not NHL material or something.

Also maybe I'll get to see Hishon skate around before enduring yet another concussion from a light breeze.

Acid08

Banned
Looks as though a lot of Avs players are returning to Denver today/this week. Maybe I'll get to catch training camp, check out Sgarbossa who apparently is not NHL material or something.

Also maybe I'll get to see Hishon skate around before enduring yet another concussion from a light breeze.
Sgarbossa is gonna be good, pissed we traded him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It just seems too active a thread for a noob question, and there isn't a question noobier than "what team should I cheer for". ;)

Now is probably the best time to jump in to ask that question. Heck G-Fex just came in a few weeks ago asking which team he should cheer for. He sadly chose the Ravens.

Do you really love the Browns or when you say Browns, you actually mean Ray Lewis and the Ravens?

I don't support murderers.

Top Bottom