• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

You're so young... What the hell am I doing with MY life!?

image.php

Edit: Dat nhl.com poll.. ice cold.

calder

Ha ha. Just wait until the pro athletes the same age as you start retiring and talking about how they don't want to hang on too long.

:(

Socreges

Banned
Let's talk about smartphones. What's everyone got?

Picked up a Galaxy S3 last week. So awesome. Still getting used to it. Just when I think I've discovered everything, someone tells me about Google Star Map (Android and iOS [different name]) and I geek out all over again.

Will have to look into NHL Gamecenter Premium. It would black out local games, though, wouldn't it?

Acid08

Banned

Picked up a Galaxy S3 last week. So awesome. Still getting used to it. Just when I think I've discovered everything, someone tells me about Google Star Map (Android and iOS [different name]) and I geek out all over again.

Will have to look into NHL Gamecenter Premium. It would black out local games, though, wouldn't it?

Star Map is very cool, one of my favorite apps.

Revenant

LTE Samsung galaxy nexus rooted with jellybean.. goes down smooth.

S3 looks nice, considered waiting for it....just don't care for touchwiz.

And yes it will black out local games.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

There's an app on ios that gives me most of the Leafs games via Leafs TV. There is no local blackout, though they don't get all the games. Quality wasn't great, but I liked it enough to get it again...assuming there is a season... :'(

Socreges

Banned
LTE Samsung galaxy nexus rooted with jellybean.. goes down smooth.

S3 looks nice considered waiting for it....just don't care for touchwiz.

And yes it will black out local games.
Took me a couple days to abandon Touchwiz and go with Apex Launcher. Might still root the device to have more options (eg, early Jellybean), but I'm content for now.

Recently read a S3/Nexus comparison. Unless you're big into multimedia, I don't think the differences are at all significant.

The Luongo/Colborne trade rumour was a "twitter experiment".

Socreges

Banned
Assuming this has something to do with astronomy and not celeb worship I use 'Vortex' in conjunction with my telescope when I'm able to get out of the city for a night. It's fucking great.
I've always wanted a telescope. We were talking last night about tracking one down. Which have you got? Price? Effectiveness?

I've always wanted a telescope. We were talking last night about tracking one down. Which have you got? Price? Effectiveness?

If you've never used one before you'd probably want to start out small just to see if you'd enjoy it passed using it a few times a year tops. Higher end models are a little more complex and can cost a fuck ton more. That said, a good starter model would be something like http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/telescopes/celestron-powerseeker-127eq.html which is what I started with. Very solid beginner model and cost effective, gets you a pretty damned good view of the moon and does kinda OK with other things but you'll mainly just want to point it at the moon. If you end up buying it you may want to look into getting a replacement eyepiece as the one supplied with mine wasn't all that great. The tube however is fantastic.

I'm currently using this: http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...c/10/sc/332/p/9895.uts?refineByCategoryId=332

I feel like I made too much of an upgrade too quickly sometimes, I want to get a motorized tripod for it at some point but that's gonna have to wait awhile.

Heretic

Well then I hate you!

I hate him too!

I've been looking at telescopes and was hoping the girlfriend would get me one for my birthday.

My birthday is in 19 days! I'm going to be 29... Fuck.

Anyways, i'm way too expensive when it comes to wanting stuff for my birthday so she's been scraping up cash since earlier this year. I have no idea what she's getting me and this will be the first year that I DON'T guess what she bought. I always figure it out and she get;s so mad lol. This year, I'm not trying to figure it out haha.

Quick

Banned
Team iPhone here representing, as well.

In fact, make that Team Apple. Got an iPhone 4S, The New iPad, iPod Touch, and Macbook Pro. On the computer side, I use my PC more, though.

After having my phone for months, only now did I decide to download The Score app. Having it tell me anything going on with Canada at the Olympics and the Jays game is pretty convenient.

Revenant

Hoping to spend about $50, 19&21. Can I see life on other planets for that price?

50 dollars could probably put you at amateur peeping tom.

Actually they're probably cool now. I used to have one when I was younger. Like 100 bucks. Serviceable at least.

On a bit of a tangent astronomy is awesome. College/high school NHL GAF. If you need to fill credits take one!

fallout

I know this is outside of your range, but my standard telescope recommendation if you want to dive in is an 8-inch dobsonian. E.g., this Orion SkyQuest XT8.

Pros:
  • Simple to use.
  • Simple to setup (you'd be surprised how much of a hassle some mounts can be).
  • Relatively inexpensive for the size of aperture ($400-$500).
  • Can see lots of deep sky objects, but functions well on things like the moon and planets.

Cons:
  • No tracking, so you have to keep nudging it to account for the Earth's rotation, especially if you're magnified a bunch.
  • The asking price ($400-$500) can be a bit much for some people, but honestly ... you won't find much better optics for cheaper.
  • They do require collimation, which can be a little tricky.

As an alternative, buy a nice pair of 15x70 binoculars (usually $75-$150) and go looking around the Milky Way.

I know this is outside of your range, but my standard telescope recommendation if you want to dive in is an 8-inch dobsonian.

Pros:
  • Simple to use.
  • Can see lots of deep sky objects, but functions well on things like the moon and planets.

Cons:
  • No tracking, so you have to keep nudging it to account for the Earth's rotation, especially if you're magnified a bunch.
  • The asking price ($400-$500) can be a bit much for some people, but honestly ... you won't find much better optics for cheaper.

As an alternative, buy a nice pair of 15x70 binoculars (usually $75-$150) and go looking around the Milky Way.

Not sure if I'd recommend anything in that price range to beginners unless they know for sure they'll actually use the thing. Especially one without goto, if I'm new to the shit and I'm shelling out that much money to watch my wobbly ass hands tracking I'm going to hate everything about it.

Socreges

Banned
I know this is outside of your range, but my standard telescope recommendation if you want to dive in is an 8-inch dobsonian. E.g., this Orion SkyQuest XT8.

Pros:
  • Simple to use.

Cons:

Thanks for this. The $50 post was just a joke. I might be willing to spend that much, but would have to look into it more. Definitely taking 19&21's caution to heart. I've always been actively interested in astronomy, though (short of owning a telescope), so I don't think it's something that would just collect dust.

19&21, check your PMs.

Heretic

Pros:
  • Simple to use.

Cons:

I asked for one like this...
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes-with-Equatorial-Mounts/Orion-AstroView-6-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/341/p/9827.uts

Not sure if I'd recommend anything in that price range to beginners unless they know for sure they'll actually use the thing..
I was giving something like this as a response =(

I told her she didn't love me and I ran away crying like a little bitch.

I asked for one like this...
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes-with-Equatorial-Mounts/Orion-AstroView-6-Equatorial-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/341/p/9827.uts

I was giving something like this as a response =(

I told her she didn't love me and I ran away crying like a little bitch.

It's the truth though, man. It's not just about whether or not you'd want to use it all the time but can you dedicate the time to taking the thing out to a remote spot to use it properly? You can't be using this shit in the middle of a city, you will be highly disappointed with the results.

Follow up on the interest but maybe tone back your selection for now.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
For shame, cake boss would be drowning in vag as he poorly narrates via textlive from the scene.
Shit. Hey guz I got sooz muzct pusi toabught I lurtyve PW subdannn nead morf vdoka.

Legit need to find another drink jäger doesn't do anything for me now. I'm not much of a beer person either I need hard liqour recommendations.

fallout

For those interested in space, there is actually a Space thread.

Not sure if I'd recommend anything in that price range to beginners unless they know for sure they'll actually use the thing. Especially one without goto, if I'm new to the shit and I'm shelling out that much money to watch my wobbly ass hands tracking I'm going to hate everything about it.
Oh, for sure. Caution is certainly warranted. I just recommend that for people willing to "dive in".

The lack of goto is a problem, but I'd rather recommend a scope that's easy to setup rather than one that makes your evening slightly less annoying. I've known people to buy a complicated scope and be overwhelmed. Worse than that, there's a significant trade-off in price of aperture vs. tracking/goto mount. $400-$500 will not get you near the aperture size of an equivalent Newtonian on a tracking/goto mount.

If you're not willing to dive in like that, I seriously recommend spending a few nights under the stars with a pair of binoculars and some star charts. See if you can find some faint fuzzies first and work your way up from there. Once you've moved on from that, then buy a telescope with some decent optics on it.

Also, another recommendation. Check out your local astronomy club! Socreges, in your case, the Vancouver RASC would be a good resource. Check out their meetings, loaner scopes, star parties, events, etc. Be warned, though ... we're definitely a bunch of nerds.

It's the truth though, man. It's not just about whether or not you'd want to use it all the time but can you dedicate the time to taking the thing out to a remote spot to use it properly? You can't be using this shit in the middle of a city, you will be highly disappointed with the results.
This is a huge point. I'd also throw in: Don't be expecting Hubble images.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think this posting summary from the iOS gaming thread shows pretty clearly which smartphone I own:

Jt7OA.jpg

Also, if there is a lockout this season, I may or may not go on a killing spree because I turn crazy with no hockey to talk about.

Are we really talking about favourite NFL teams now? Jesus Christ
BoXtw.gif

I need some NHL talk soon, or I'm going to snap.

ditto this.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
got to play some hockey at the bridgestone arena tonight, im available for any scabbery should there be a lockout

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
so to keep this off topic whos buying Counter Strike: GO?

I'll be busy with Guild Wars 2 and NHL 13, can't have 3 online games going at the same time... and those 2 are gonna keep me busy for LONG. And then there's also Halo 4 and Dishonored coming...

Top Bottom