• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Socreges

Banned
Maybe a dragon comes down and eats all the Canadian players

Maybe wambach's mother never met her father and made her

Maybe I go back in time, step on a butterfly and soccer is never invented

Or maybe the Canadians wipe the tears from their eyes, don't let in a 4th goal then they don't lose.

In reality, the Canadians gave up the 4th one, the game deciding one, and lost.
Ironically enough, if this were in hockey, both sides (hardcore fans) would concede that the result was completely undermined by the official. But because it's a sport that you guys don't follow too closely, and the main connection is through nationalism, there's no compromise. Seems kinda backwards.

Ironically enough, if this were in hockey, both sides (hardcore fans) would concede that the result was completely undermined by the official. But because it's a sport that you guys don't follow too closely, and the main connection is through nationalism, there's no compromise. Seems kinda backwards.

Seems pretty clear the ref decided it to me... The issue is whether it was decided correctly. At least in reference to the first call. The second didn't seem very controversial.

Revenant

Dragons aren't good with their feet.

Americans demonstrating their ignorance again.

If you need a hug after getting crushed by team red, white, and blue you know I always have some in stock.

This is where I'd place some hogan playing guitar in front of an American flag background GIFS if I wasn't on my phone.

Socreges

Banned
Has nothing to do with the US for me. I love soccer and Canada deserved that game.

Seems pretty clear the ref decided it to me... The issue is whether it was decided correctly. At least in reference to the first call. The second didn't seem very controversial.
First call

- it had never been made before. never. and keepers always go past the 6-second mark.
- there was no warning from the ref
- the call was made in the 78th min of a semi-final game

Second call

- did not warrant a penalty kick
- more egregious 'handling the ball' foul against rapinoe from 10 min earlier was not called

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I figured you'd take losing in stride a bit better as a fellow spurs fan, soc.

Canadian keeper was warned by the linesman, still a shitty call, but that's life. Canada stole the bronze today for their first team sport summer medal since 1936, be happy!

Socreges

Banned
Canadian keeper was warned by the linesman, still a shitty call, but that's life. Canada stole the bronze today for their first team sport summer medal since 1936, be happy!
Canada's been on the three-season calender since 1882. We're just glad to be invited.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Vancouver Olympics is Best Olympics.

The best part about it was that they allowed us [Olympic Workers] to work as much overtime (even double-pay-time) as we wanted. Friend of mine worked >75h/week and got LOADS of 1.5x and 2x paytime in.

lupinko

Oh right, this too:

N0IRl.jpg

That Men's Hockey Gold was the perfect icing on the Gold Medal Cake.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Finally, on August 9, 2012 Usain Bolt attained legendary status like the OP Manics.

Great foresight. Great topic.

From "The Official Usain Bolt ballwashing thread" started by Manics back in '08 :lol :lol :lol

No shame at all Manics?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So Bettman actually confirmed that no new deal by Sept. 15 means another lockout?

LOL. Way to set the sport back another 5 years, guys.

CREMSteve

DANG IT, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's going to cost us an arm and a leg which is not what he is worth. I swear if we trade Flip or Nyquist for him, I'm going break all sorts of rage barriers!

You're right, Feaster would be dealing from a position of strength on this one.

That being said, the only trade for Jay Bouwmeester I'd be interested in from the Red Wings, would be for Filppula and Brendan Smith. Calgary desperately wants another Center, and losing JBo would leave a pretty big hole on their back end.

However, Filppula is a UFA at the end of the season, and that scares me, so there would have to be a real nice prospect in there to get me to bite. Heck, with a lockout looming, Filppula may not even play another game before becoming a free agent.

I'd actually be more interested in seeing a deal with the Flyers, involving Couturier and a 2nd round pick for Bouwmeester and perhaps someone like Mikael Backlund.

If Feaster isn't seeing offers along those lines, he should just hang up the phone.

That being said, I firmly believe that Jay Bouwmeester is a Flame on opening night. He's a top 1-2 defenceman, with a NTC clause, and not once have I ever seen Feaster say he was interested in moving him.

Socreges

Banned
Bouwmeester has declined, has only has two seasons left until UFA and at 6.6m. I don't think any team would give up so much for him.

CREMSteve

Bouwmeester has declined, has only has two seasons left until UFA and at 6.6m. I don't think any team would give up so much for him.

Bouwmeester would most likely thrive under Babcock's tutelage. That said, I have a good feeling he will rebound nicely now that Sutter is no longer misusing him. Hopefully Hartley has a good strategy to utilize Bouw's strengths instead of forcing him to be a shutdown, 25-30 minute a night kind of guy.

I would much prefer to see him playing 20 minutes a night, in offensive scenarios. He still skates better than most, and can pass with great accuracy. He also jumps into the rush with the best of them, when he's being allowed to.

He's 6'4, 215lbs, but he is NOT a physical defenceman, and that's all Sutter wanted him to be. It was frustrating as hell to watch.

You're right, Feaster would be dealing from a position of strength on this one.

That being said, the only trade for Jay Bouwmeester I'd be interested in from the Red Wings, would be for Filppula and Brendan Smith. Calgary desperately wants another Center, and losing JBo would leave a pretty big hole on their back end.

However, Filppula is a UFA at the end of the season, and that scares me, so there would have to be a real nice prospect in there to get me to bite. Heck, with a lockout looming, Filppula may not even play another game before becoming a free agent.

I'd actually be more interested in seeing a deal with the Flyers, involving Couturier and a 2nd round pick for Bouwmeester and perhaps someone like Mikael Backlund.

If Feaster isn't seeing offers along those lines, he should just hang up the phone.

That being said, I firmly believe that Jay Bouwmeester is a Flame on opening night. He's a top 1-2 defenceman, with a NTC clause, and not once have I ever seen Feaster say he was interested in moving him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......... There is no way in the world my friend, none at all that JBo is worth Smith, wouldn't even do that straight up.

CREMSteve

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......... There is no way in the world my friend, none at all that JBo is worth Smith, wouldn't even do that straight up.

There is a distinct possibility that Filppula could be had next July 1 without giving up any assets.

Unless you were able to negotiate with him beforehand, he's not someone I'd be interested in trading for unless a piece of value was attached to the deal, that's all I'm suggesting.

There is a distinct possibility that Filppula could be had next July 1 without giving up any assets.

Unless you were able to negotiate with him beforehand, he's not someone I'd be interested in trading for unless a piece of value was attached to the deal, that's all I'm suggesting.

Very true, I figure Holland will get a deal going to resign him here once we have a new CBA, but still I highly doubt we would get rid of Smith who is our TOP prospect for a defenseman on a bad contract who is rather questionable.

Top Bottom