• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

CREMSteve

Very true, I figure Holland will get a deal going to resign him here once we have a new CBA, but still I highly doubt we would get rid of Smith who is our TOP prospect for a defenseman on a bad contract who is rather questionable.

Bouwmeester only has 2 years left on his current deal. For a top-pairing guy, his deal is actually pretty decent. He's only 28.

Back when he first signed it, I wasn't a fan of the numbers, but the market has definitely changed.

It's not like a Luongo-type contract, where he's going to be 43 when the deal expires.

Bouwmeester only has 2 years left on his current deal. For a top-pairing guy, his deal is actually pretty decent. He's only 28.

Back when he first signed it, I wasn't a fan of the numbers, but the market has definitely changed.

It's not like a Luongo-type contract, where he's going to be 43 when the deal expires.

Right now though it looks rather bad, he is worth around 4-5 million tops, though at least you are right that it is only for 2 years. But as stated, he just isn't worth our top prospect who has really high potential to be a legit number 1 D in a few years here.

Socreges

Banned
It's just not worth divesting of top prospects for a player that will be a UFA in two seasons, unless that guy can put you over the top immediately. Granted they could always negotiate an (affordable) extension if he fit in really well.

CREMSteve

Bouwmeester isn't a top pairing defenseman

All-Star Rookie Team
2-time All-Star
Current NHL Ironman with 588 consecutive games
2-time World Championship winner
Top Defenceman World Championships 2003

Only Duncan Keith and Dan Boyle eclipsed Bouwmeester's average of 25:59 per game last season. And those were all against the opposition's top units.

He's played for some bad Flame teams, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a top pairing guy on most teams.

He also has never been in the playoffs and his overall play has seemed to deteriorate these last few years in terms of points. I have also heard that his work ethic lately has seemed somewhat iffy. Though I could be wrong on that as I don't watch him play.

If you all can't agree on who takes him the Flyers will have to just hold onto him to teach everyone a lesson!

But seriously..... we need some D. Ours died. I'm not joking enough to not feel sad just making the joke....

CREMSteve

He also has never been in the playoffs and his overall play has seemed to deteriorate these last few years in terms of points. I have also heard that his work ethic lately has seemed somewhat iffy. Though I could be wrong on that as I don't watch him play.

Definitely. His lack of playoff experience is crazy, I can't explain it aside from both Florida and Calgary sucked. His decreasing points are a direct result of playing on a bad team, in a role that he wasn't suited for.

Bouwmeester is an offensively gifted, smooth skating defenceman. He is not physical, at all, despite his 6'4 frame.

Darryl Sutter used him in a shutdown role, which is why his minutes were so high. He should have been encouraged to jump into the play, use some creativity, and play to his strengths, but it seemed like he never was.

It would be akin to Brian Campbell or Drew Doughty being asked to play the shutdown role on their teams. That's what guys like Willie Mitchell are for.

All-Star Rookie Team
2-time All-Star
Current NHL Ironman with 588 consecutive games
2-time World Championship winner
Top Defenceman World Championships 2003

Only Duncan Keith and Dan Boyle eclipsed Bouwmeester's average of 25:59 per game last season. And those were all against the opposition's top units.

He's played for some bad Flame teams, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a top pairing guy on most teams.

Still doesn't change the fact that RIGHT NOW, at this moment, he is not a top pairing defenseman in the NHL.

Listing things he's done in the past (2 of which you listed are not even NHL relevant) means nothing looking at his body of work over the last 3 seasons. That's like me trying to make a case for Wade Redden still being a top pairing NHL D-man.

The max I would give for J-bo right now is Tatar, maybe a depth player/C prospect, and a 2nd or 3rd. Or something around Franzen and a lower pick. His overall worth right now just isn't that high, the only reason it may seem high is because the lack of top 4 D-man on the market. He would be a nice addition to our D, but not for what Calgary wants for him at the moment.

The max I would give for J-bo right now is Tatar, maybe a depth player/C prospect, and a 2nd or 3rd. Or something around Franzen and a lower pick. His overall worth right now just isn't that high, the only reason it may seem high is because the lack of top 4 D-man on the market. He would be a nice addition to our D, but not for what Calgary wants for him at the moment.

If the Wings are offering that we're offering Read and a 2nd at least is my bet.

Wait until the cap goes down in the next CBA and you'll get him for a steal

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Watching a Lokomotiv clip on TSN2 now, replay (?) of the Russia-Canada game. Goddamnit.

CREMSteve

Still doesn't change the fact that RIGHT NOW, at this moment, he is not a top pairing defenseman in the NHL.

Listing things he's done in the past (2 of which you listed are not even NHL relevant) means nothing looking at his body of work over the last 3 seasons. That's like me trying to make a case for Wade Redden still being a top pairing NHL D-man.

Are you comparing Wade Redden to a guy who played top 3 minutes in the league last season, has played on the top pairing his entire career and hasn't missed an NHL game in 7 years?

Fucking Oilers fans.

whosbetterbracket2012_649x562_49690.jpg

Fucking Oilers fans.

whosbetterbracket2012_649x562_49690.jpg

This is also why I'm angry EA is did this for the cover athlete for NHL 13. Giroux is a fine pick but man Datsyuk would have been perfect this year (and I think he lost out to Tavares or something stupid like that). NHL 13 matches his number and it would have went along with Johnson being on the cover for Madden and Verlander for MLB 2K12.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The goalie situation is going to be pretty interesting. It could be any of Ward, Luongo, Fleury or Price all depending on different scenarios. If Ward plus the Staals can elevate the Canes to elite levels again, if Luongo can turn it up on a new team, if Fleury can manage to over come his recent shitty playoffs over the past couple years, and depending on if Price can carry a mediocre Habs team. My money would be on Luongo / Price, but who knows what happens in the future to dictate the top choice.

I really don't see them not keeping Luongo on the roster, even as the 3rd string tender. Just backstopping the 2010 team to Gold medal should be enough for him to stay on in at least a symbolic gesture.

I'm terrified of Team USA though. If Miller regains form, and Schneider proves to be the second coming Vancouver's been waiting for... then they are going to be deep deep deeeeep in net.

Any three of Miller, Quick, Schneider and Howard would make team USA terrifying.

Sweden could potentially run with Lundqvist, Markstrom and Lack.

And Russia... see Flyers 2011-2012 season.

Red_Man

I think Luo will almost 100% be on the roster, baring a huge meltdown in the next two season. I think it's between him and Price to grab the #1 spot, and that will depend on how each performs in the next couple seasons. I'll start to get worried about the US if Miller is able to retain form, and if Quick can replicate this season he's had.

Red_Man

Weber - Letang
Doughty - Pietrangelo
Kieth - Seabrook

That's just off the top of my head, and me avoiding my homer bias of hoping Subban is Olympic calibre come Sochi.

Are you comparing Wade Redden to a guy who played top 3 minutes in the league last season, has played on the top pairing his entire career and hasn't missed an NHL game in 7 years?

No, it's a comment on your flawed logic, in which you used past accomplishments (only 1 of them truly NHL on-ice performance related) to say that someone is a first pairing NHL defenseman. I could list Redden's past accomplishments as well, and they are way more impressive than that list you gave me, but nobody in their right mind would say that RIGHT NOW, he is a legitimate first pairing guy. You pretty much stepped right into what I assumed you'd do.

BTW, being an ironman doesn't make you an top pairing defenseman.

Rangers should be well represented. Callahan and McD for US, possibly even Stepan as well. Staal and Girardi should get looks for Canada on D. And of course the obligatory Henrik for Sweden and Gabs for Slovakia.
Nash for Canada? His big body is usually a big threat combined with other big players since a lot of the international players have never seen a top line that big. He seems to deliver in team Canada and have said yes to the World Cup so many times.

I really don't see them not keeping Luongo on the roster, even as the 3rd string tender. Just backstopping the 2010 team to Gold medal should be enough for him to stay on in at least a symbolic gesture.

I'm terrified of Team USA though. If Miller regains form, and Schneider proves to be the second coming Vancouver's been waiting for... then they are going to be deep deep deeeeep in net.

Any three of Miller, Quick, Schneider and Howard would make team USA terrifying.

Sweden could potentially run with Lundqvist, Markstrom and Lack.

And Russia... see Flyers 2011-2012 season.

Are Luongo the type of guy that accept being thirdstring and not whine? Whining Canadian goalies has happened before.

And for the Swedish goalies I expect Lindbäck to squeeze in. Lack will probably have so trouble breaking through behind Schneider and Floridas total unwillingness to play Markstrom more is mindnumbling. Otherwise for Sweden I am looking forward to be stacked with stud defenders again(might not be already this Olympics.): Hedman, Karlsson, Larsson, Ekholm, Ekman-Larsson and Rundblad.

Nash for Canada? His big body is usually a big threat combined with other big players since a lot of the international players have never seen a top line that big. He seems to deliver in team Canada and have said yes to the World Cup so many times.

Are Luongo the type of guy that accept being thirdstring and not whine? Whining Canadian goalies has happened before.

Oh yeah haha, forgot about him.

Steve Coates was on the radio today saying he has talked to a lot of veteran players that are upset at the union. He said they dont want to miss out on any more money after having already missed a whole year. So maybe there is still a chance of the sides getting together.

ShaneB

Steve Coates was on the radio today saying he has talked to a lot of veteran players that are upset at the union. He said they dont want to miss out on any more money after having already missed a whole year. So maybe there is still a chance of the sides getting together.

I'm praying that there are enough players smart enough to realize what a mess it caused with the last lockout, to ever go down that road again.

Top Bottom