• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Alright that's cool. That way we're not obligated to play every game, but if people feel like playing some they can.

A big thanks to whoever unbanned Marvie (Bish?), it's good to get some hockey talk going again. Even if the game IS all we can discuss at the moment.

Marvie would be a good commish. He's dedicated to the EASHL team and his achievements with each NHL title speak for themselves.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't believe you guys are falling for the same EA BS again. You know this game is going to have the exact same online problems with glitch goals as the previous 5 years. It never changes.

Marvie_3

Banned
Alright that's cool. That way we're not obligated to play every game, but if people feel like playing some they can.
There was no way anybody was going to play all 82 games no matter how much time was in the season which is why the shortened season option would have been nice.

A big thanks to whoever unbanned Marvie (Bish?), it's good to get some hockey talk going again. Even if the game IS all we can discuss at the moment.

Marvie would be a good commish. He's dedicated to the EASHL team and his achievements with each NHL title speak for themselves.
iyX3UCGTtP8An.gif

I can't believe you guys are falling for the same EA BS again. You know this game is going to have the exact same online problems with glitch goals as the previous 5 years. It never changes.
Neither does smoking crack but people still hit that pipe over and over again.

Revenant

Look at Mr negative! Just because your fall is going to be filled with miserable lions football doesn't mean we can't have fun.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'd rather have a pure simmed league to determine who the best armchair GM is based on pure GM skills, but... I assume I'm the minority here :p I just feel like adding played games to it "dilutes" the result, but w/e :D

Smiley90

I would vote Sim league, PvP playoffs but that's got some iffy aspects to it.

This'd be a compromise I could live with. So people can't purely rely on PvP skipl but also need some managerial/cap management skill at least. I rather have PURE simmed, but eh.

Revenant

This'd be a compromise I could live with. So people can't purely rely on PvP skipl but also need some managerial/cap management skill at least. I rather have PURE simmed, but eh.
I don't mind either way, just pitching ideas if we don't have two seperate leagues.

Marvie_3

Banned

Could be a full sim league and a playoffs only league.

Playoffs only league:
Week 1 - Simmed regular season
Week 2 - PvP - First 2 playoff rounds
Week 3 - PvP - Conference Finals & Stanley Cup Finals
Week 4 - Draft & Free Agency

Smiley90

Could be a full sim league and a playoffs only league.

Playoffs only league:
Week 1 - Simmed regular season
Week 2 - PvP - First 2 playoff rounds
Week 3 - PvP - Conference Finals & Stanley Cup Finals

So like, 1 day = 1 month in the regular season? Seems like an awfully short time to adjust for e.g. Injuries or do trades.... Not
to mention trade deadline. I still think that those who want to play can sign up for a separate league additionally (a versus league won't fill anyway, so that'll be alright), and then that league can go slower and have that format/players in it can play as many games as they desire and the rest of their games will be simmed if they don't have enough time.

Simmed league should be simmed only, to really allow for armchair GM....

Red_Man

I'd like to get some PVP mixed in, but if people want full SIM I'm cool with that too. Majority rules.

Marvie_3

Banned
So like, 1 day = 1 month in the regular season? Seems like an awfully short time to adjust for e.g. Injuries or do trades.... Not
to mention trade deadline.
I still think that those who want to play can sign up for a separate league additionally (a versus league won't fill anyway, so that'll be alright), and then that league can go slower and have that format/players in it can play as many games as they desire and the rest of their games will be simmed if they don't have enough time.

Simmed league should be simmed only, to really allow for armchair GM....

Unless each season is going to last 3 months, then you can't stretch it out too much. If you stretch seasons out too far you run the risk of people losing interest and dropping from the league.

Smiley90

Unless each season is going to last 3 months, then you can't stretch it out too much. If you stretch seasons out too far you run the risk of people losing interest and dropping from the league.

I know, but if you make playoffs PvP you make it longer. With PvP it's at least 2 weeks for playoffs, without you can just have the playoffs last a week and the regular season two weeks, so double the time.

And if the winner of the league is determined by PvP, why not have a PvP league in the first place? If everyone wants to mix the two elements I'll bow, but I just don't see the point in making a GM-heavy simmed league and then the winner is the one who plays the best/has the most NHL gaming expeince :D

Revenant

Yea I Mean the full armchair gm experience isn't exactly super deep to carry 2 months of content. To get through multiple seasons it has to be quick anyway. Also the sim portion would only Need a bit of maintenance a day.

Well do a vote of all GMs.. majority rules. If it doesn't feel right we revise.

Red_Man

I agree, do a vote, and we can make necessary adjustments after the first month / season if necessary.

Smiley90

Aight, vote it is. Between full sim and regular sim/playoff PvP?

Also, for PvP, what if someone "chooses" they'd rather sim their games (e.g. If you're up against marvie and fear his might or so), or if they're simply not around? Do the games get simmed or would the player who isn't there get the loss? (I wonder if that's even possible as far as commissioner power goes, the power to declare someone a winner of a game?)

Marvie_3

Banned
I know, but if you make playoffs PvP you make it longer. With PvP it's at least 2 weeks for playoffs, without you can just have the playoffs last a week and the regular season two weeks, so double the time.

And if the winner of the league is determined by PvP, why not have a PvP league in the first place? If everyone wants to mix the two elements I'll bow, but I just don't see the point in making a GM-heavy simmed league and then the winner is the one who plays the best/has the most NHL gaming expeince :D
PvP seasons at 2 months then?

First 3 weeks: Season start - Trade deadline
Next 2 weeks: Trade Deadline - End of regular season
Next 2 weeks: Playoffs
Final 2 weeks + leftover days: Draft + free agency + any other offseason business

Aight, vote it is. Between full sim and regular sim/playoff PvP?

Also, for PvP, what if someone "chooses" they'd rather sim their games (e.g. If you're up against marvie and fear his might or so), or if they're simply not around? Do the games get simmed or would the player who isn't there get the loss? (I wonder if that's even possible as far as commissioner power goes, the power to declare someone a winner of a game?)
They would have to get simmed. Letting someone play against the AI gives them a big advantage(unless the AI difficulty is maxed).

Smiley90

PvP seasons at 2 months then?

First 3 weeks: Season start - Trade deadline
Next 2 weeks: Trade Deadline - End of regular season
Next 2 weeks: Playoffs
Final 2 weeks + leftover days: Draft + free agency + any other offseason business

They would have to get simmed. Letting someone play against the AI gives them a big advantage(unless the AI difficulty is maxed).

I'd say only 1 week deadline til playoffs (no real need to slow down, so generally 2 Or 3 days per month), but make sure to put aside at least 1 full day for the trade deadline? And then 1 or 2 days to prepare for playoffs....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Look at Mr negative! Just because your fall is going to be filled with miserable lions football doesn't mean we can't have fun.

Hey, we made the playoffs last year! That's like winnng 5 straight Super Bowls for us Lions fans.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'd say a little less than two months.
I just put that for simplicity. Saying "season 1 runs from Sept. 11th to Oct 23rd, season 2 runs from Oct 24th to Dec. 9th" would get confusing.

I'd say only 1 week deadline til playoffs (no real need to slow down, so generally 2 Or 3 days per month), but make sure to put aside at least 1 full day for the trade deadline? And then 1 or 2 days to prepare for playoffs....
Both of those could be included in the "Trade Deadline - End of regular season" part. The games before the playoffs might be needed to get someone into the playoffs so I could see people wanting to play more of those games as opposed to the pre-trade deadline games.

Revenant

Hey, we made the playoffs last year! That's like winnng 5 straight Super Bowls for us Lions fans.

Well according to all the football commentators it brought the city of Detroit together. Fixed the economy and everything! Practically a utopia thanks to Megatron and the fat kid from the Goonies.

Smiley90

I just put that for simplicity. Saying "season 1 runs from Sept. 11th to Oct 23rd, season 2 runs from Oct 24th to Dec. 9th" would get confusing.

Both of those could be included in the "Trade Deadline - End of regular season" part. The games before the playoffs might be needed to get someone into the playoffs so I could see people wanting to play more of those games as opposed to the pre-trade deadline games.

I thought the vote was gonna be between pure simmed and simmed regular/pvp playoffs? What's with played regular now?

Marvie_3

Banned
I thought the vote was gonna be between pure simmed and simmed regular/pvp playoffs? What's with played regular now?

My bad. I thought you meant have a longer PvP season. If we can find the right timetable, I don't see why we can't have a pure sim league and a PvP Playoff league.

Alright, fuck it. We'll start with one league + a waiting list. If we get enough interest in the next month we'll set up a second league. :lol

I'm not one to tell you guys how to run your league (although I'm curious if there has been a proper GAF league in the past). I have run leagues in the past (from the NHL 2001 days) and its tough to even get a 12 team league going with only an 11 game schedule. That being said GM connected does offer more tools to help a league go (I like to believe that the stuff I put in my wishlists to the EA NHL team about online leagues did influence them)

If you're doing a versus league, I'd suggest you take advantage of most of the facilities that GM Connected offers. Theres a reason why it offers 5 ways to play-- its because that's the easiest way to keep a league running. To allow multiple people on one team, to allow people who only want to GM or Coach, to allow people to play against someone else's AI, etc. If you guys have timely people who can play 82 games, more power to you. Again, I'm not sure if you realize how much effort it will take. If you guys have run a successful league in the past, then go for it. But if not, it might be a lot more challenging than you think to have 30 individual players to co-ordinate to play 82 games. It can be a slog for some people and you're guaranteed to have people who sign up and then later realize its too big of a burden to play so many games and it isn't fun for them anymore.

Smiley90

Also, if we really do have PvP playoffs that take a month... We'll have half the teams not being able to do anything meaningful for a whole month, which kinda sucks. If you sim you can keep it shorter and have less downtime for those who don't make the playoffs.

Welcome back Marvie, I was wondering where you went.

I don't think ill be doing the GM mode but I'm stoked for the league when it starts up (Xbox)

Marvie_3

Banned
Also, if we really do have PvP playoffs that take a month... We'll have half the teams not being able to do anything meaningful for a whole month, which kinda sucks. If you sim you can keep it shorter and have less downtime for those who don't make the playoffs.

PvP playoffs taking a month is way too long, that's why nobody suggested that. :lol

Something like this?

Week 1 - Simmed regular season up to trade deadline
Week 2 - Simmed regular season from trade deadline to playoffs
Week 3 - PvP - Playoffs (1 game per round?)

Guys

what does cakeboss mean
It's when you either drink like a 12 year old girl or you pretend to be drunk, then make a nonsensical post containing a shitload of typos.

PvP playoffs taking a month is way too long, that's why nobody suggested that. :lol

Something like this?

Week 1 - Simmed regular season up to trade deadline
Week 2 - Simmed regular season from trade deadline to playoffs
Week 3 - PvP - Playoffs (1 game per round?)

It's when you either drink like a 12 year old girl or you pretend to be drunk, then make a nonsensical post containing a shitload of typos.

That sounds good but I'd say best of 3 playoff rounds.......if we have 5 minute periods most people should be able to play 2-3 games at a time?

Red_Man

I agree with Bigjohnsson, best of 3 so it's fair, each game takes about 20 mins so an hour for 1 playoff round is reasonable.

CREMSteve

Flyers' Andreas Lilja out for 4 months after having surgery to repair a nagging hip injury

Philadelphia Flyers fans, it’s pouring in terms of injuries to your blueline. With Chris Pronger sidelined indefinitely with post-concussion symptoms and Andrej Meszaros out for at least a couple of months with an Achilles tendon injury that required surgery, things looked a little shaky, and now they look shakier: according to Helsinborgs Dagblad’s Linus Ahlin, Andreas Lilja has had surgery to correct a degenerative hip injury, and he’s going to be out for four months.

Damn, do they have any NHL defencemen left?

CREMSteve

Didn't Timonen and Grossman also go under the knife this offseason? Are they expected to miss any time? The Flyers have had a ton of players undergo surgery since the season ended.... I'm convinced they are introducing a team of cyborgs to begin play next season. The ones I am aware of... could be more, not sure.

Pronger (concussion LTI)
Meszaros (achilles tendon)
Lilja (hip)
Giroux (wrist)
Simmonds (finger)
Carle (stomach muscle)
Timonen (back)
Van Riemsdyk (hip)
Grossman (knee)

Top Bottom