• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Marvie_3

Banned
btnVe.jpg

ibplnZd1ZuwUge.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
This is extremely similar to what I was saying yesterday or the day before. Bettman and the owners are full of shit. Profits are up. No sensible union would ever agree to salary decreases when profits are rising every year. The NHL's economic problems are caused by poor league management, not player salaries.

Hopefully the players like playing in Russia!

Heretic

Gabriel Landeskog said:
Owners seem to be focused on another lockout. Players are focused on presenting our @NHLPA proposal on Tues. #theplayers

billmartin_ca said:
@GabeLandeskog92 @NHLPA Well the owners may be wrong on the fan reaction this time. We know who is at fault, and many of us have had enough.

Who's at fault?

A "GM" for a Swedish team said that they might only be able to sign players on one-way contracts cause the rest might be forced to play in the AHL. Is this true? I can't believe that some people(Cleary and Horceff etc) that came during the last lockout had oneway contracts.

Toronto finally gets the cup!
at the Hockey Hall of Fame :(

Yep.

Just like last time

The Toronto Maple Leafs--our nation's favourite hockey team--have ended their 38-year championship drought by declaring themselves 2005 Stanley Cup champions.

Leafs' management made the unexpected pronouncement at a press conference called after the official cancellation of the National Hockey League's 2004-2005 season.

While it was assumed the coveted trophy would not be awarded this year, the Leafs' top brass see things differently.

"The Stanley Cup is not the property of the National Hockey League," Leafs General Manager John Ferguson Jr. accurately pointed out. "Thus, we feel that we were well within our rights to claim it. Who's gonna stop us? We're the Leafs!"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Who's at fault?

This is absolutely ridiculous.

You've got a good thing going, NHL AND NHLPA. Both of you. The game is growing, ratings are good, and popularity is increasing in the United States. It took years for you to recover from the last work stoppage.

Quit being babies and settle this dispute soon before you screw it all up.

That was a terrible read. The owners havent said anything about rolling back salaries and the author admits as much before he goes on to throw out these ridiculous hypotheticals about players being forced to give back money. The owners are never going to get salary rollbacks, but they are going to get cuts going forward, and the author is wrong that it isnt a problem for the players and owners. Overall revenue is up but more teams are losing money then making money, and you cant expect a few rich teams to subsidize all the smaller market teams. The NHL needs to radically change things going forward. Hopefully the players will cave before there is another lockout.

That was a terrible read. The owners havent said anything about rolling back salaries and the author admits as much before he goes on to throw out these ridiculous hypotheticals about players being forced to give back money.

They haven't said it but if they lower the cap by as much as they want (by lowering players % and defintion of HRR) the salaries would have to be rolled back or many teams will be over the cap. They could do amnesty buyouts, but that's not much better.

The last lockout was all about getting the players to accept a salary cap linked to league revenues. Now they're just going to squeeze the players for a lower % every few years when the CBA is up for renewal.

Marvie_3

Banned
They haven't said it but if they lower the cap by as much as they want (by lowering players % and defintion of HRR) the salaries would have to be rolled back or many teams will be over the cap. They could do amnesty buyouts, but that's not much better.

The last lockout was all about getting the players to accept a salary cap linked to league revenues. Now they're just going to squeeze the players for a lower % every few years when the CBA is up for renewal.
No they wouldn't. The owners didn't even ask for a salary rollback. There's a reason so many teams are so far under the temporary $70M cap and there's only a few teams over what the new cap would be (about what it was last season) All of those teams are easily able to get back under the cap.

They need to just split revenues at 50-50 and leave it there forever.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a terrible feeling Detroit overpays for Bouwmeester this week.

They gotta do something...

Frankly surprised they couldn't get Parise and Suter.

Do we even HAVE Minny fans here???/??

Suter probably was going to Detroit if it wasn't for Parise wanting them both to go to Minny, almost 99% sure on that one.

I would rather go with the D we have then give up a lot for J-bo, now if it isn't much and doesn't include Flip or a huge prospect, then I'm fine with that. The most I would give up is Tatar + and that is it.

CREMSteve

I don't want Calgary to trade Bouwmeester, I think he's going to have a big year under a new coach, playing a new, offense-oriented system surrounded by new talent.

Being a homer sucks.

While we're tag quoting I just want to say Marvie's tag always makes me wonder if Kane and Toews actually like eachother. I just can't imagine someone as put together as Toews being able to stand Kaner.

Top Bottom