• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

I really should unfollow the Canucks' official Twitter account during the offseason. They sign one minor-leaguer and end up tweeting about it every hour for the whole day.

You have that much faith in Jay-Bo leading you to the promised land?

yes

No, screw him, he isn't coming here for anything more than Tatar and maybe some leftover change.

I really should unfollow the Canucks' official Twitter account during the offseason. They sign one minor-leaguer and end up tweeting about it every hour for the whole day.

If they get that excited over a minor league guy, imagine what that twitter would be like if they won the Stanley Cup! However you probably are going to continue to wait a long time to see what that will be like. :p

To be fair. It IS Brendan Gaunce, our first round pick from this year.

It's better than all the tweets News1130 keeps making about Shane Doan's dinner plans.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Makarov (Russian goalie) has Nolan's Joker painted on the one side of his mask...interesting...better then Flanders I guess.

Red_Man

3-2 at the end of the first period, it's like the Pens / Flyers playoff series all over again!

Osorio

LOL at the Devils being that high. I am going to be so pissed if a lockout makes us miss their crash and burn.

I don't understand why people make it seem like the Devils are so much worse than last season. We can't replace Parise but we still got over 100 points in the regular season and make it to the Finals, defeating the #1 seed in the process.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/08/13/grange_nhl_cba_negotiations/

"Some people interpret a counter proposal to be 'this is within the framework of what the other guy said' -- It just moves some things around," Fehr said after a two-hour bargaining session in Toronto Monday. "This is a different kind of an approach. It's how the players see the world."

Details weren't available, but the broad strokes are clear:

The NHL's hard salary cap, a concession earned by locking out the players for a season in 2004-05?

Gone.

Instead how about an NHL featuring a marketplace that allows rich teams to spend what they want and the best players to earn what they're worth?

Rather than an artificial drag on salaries by way of a hard cap, how about a voluntary tax -- a luxury tax -- on teams that see fit to invest in talent?

How about an NHL where, rather than weaker markets being propped up squeezing down the cost of labour, franchises that have unique advantages share some of their profits with those that don't?

I need to find to find a new hobby for next year, season going down the toilet for sure.

Red_Man

Rielly with a sick play and Huberdeau taps it in. Rielly has been rather impressive tonight.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/08/13/grange_nhl_cba_negotiations/

I need to find to find a new hobby for next year, season going down the toilet for sure.

If there's no salary cap, not only will there be no season, but I also wouldn't watch hockey anymore, that's the worst thing they could possibly do.
Oh who am I kidding, I'd still watch it, but I'd be angry.

Rielly with a sick play and Huberdeau taps it in. Rielly has been rather impressive tonight.

He was impressive last game too, surprised me.

I don't understand why people make it seem like the Devils are so much worse than last season. We can't replace Parise but we still got over 100 points in the regular season and make it to the Finals, defeating the #1 seed in the process.

You were fourth in your division, and had more loser points than anyone else.

Red_Man

Which was still good enough for 4th most points in the conference, and got to the Finals. Losing Parise suddenly means we're not even close to the playoffs? Don't get it.
That + Brodeur turning 98, and other teams in the Conference getting stronger. I think you're understating how big of a loss a 70 point player can be.

Which was still good enough for 4th most points in the conference, and got to the Finals. Losing Parise suddenly means we're not even close to the playoffs? Don't get it.

They had a good playoff, yes. Then Brodeur kept being over 40 and getting worse and your captain left. Now there's no reason to assume they even make the playoffs.

Osorio

They had a good playoff, yes. Then Brodeur kept being over 40 and getting worse and your captain left. Now there's no reason to assume they even make the playoffs.

We're going into the season with 4 solid lines despite losing Parise. Last year we went through the whole season with a 4th line that had 2 goons. Geriatric Marty still managed to get us to the Finals. Also, we're starting the season with Tallinder and Zidlicky who were defensemen we could've used during most of the regular season.

Osorio

Nah that's Vanderbeek.

Also do MOST people have the Devils at anything better than a bubble team in their projections for next year? I don't think I'm being particularly harsh. I see them finishing between 7th and 12th.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Devils did worse, but it's crazy how much influence people think Parise had on our success last season.

Osorio

Ha, if you think THAT'S why I hate the Devils you must be new to hockey.

Also calling your four lines "solid" is a bit of a stretch.

kovalchuk-zajac-zubrus
elias-henrique-clarkson
tedenby-josefson-butler
carter-gionta-bernier

The third line may be a defensive liability (I hear Bobby Butler doesn't check for shit), but that looks solid to me. If we sign Sykora that could push Clarkson to the 3rd line where he'd do his best work.

Where to start. Lets see, lots best player, basically did nothing in FA, goalie even older, luckiest team in the NHL last year in terms of SO record, needed OT in games 6 and 7 to beat a weak Panthers team in the playoffs. The Devils were a huge fluke last year and this year reality will come crashing down on them.

I guess that 5 game series really got to 'em.

Or maybe some of us have hated that garbage franchise ever since they used the fucking trap to ruin the NHL. I dont give a fuck about the series last year, one team has a future and 1 team is on its way to being bankrupt and losing all 4 fans that are left.

ZeroGravity

Players are insane if they think the cap is going away. Yeah, yeah, it's negotiations, but it's pretty much a non-starter with the league - as it should be.

Top Bottom