• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

ShaneB

Damn I missed some war of words.

I find it a bit strange that even though the NHL season seems like it goes on far too long, we're all now going crazy because we miss it so much. I'm sure the added fear of not knowing if there will be a season doesn't help. :(

edit: and that DownGoesBrown post is sad but true. I'm not sure to laugh or cry. :(

Osorio

Damn I missed some war of words.

I find it a bit strange that even though the NHL season seems like it goes on far too long, we're all now going crazy because we miss it so much. I'm sure the added fear of not knowing if there will be a season doesn't help. :(

edit: and that DownGoesBrown post is sad but true. I'm not sure to laugh or cry. :(

I'm pissed because I just got a job writing about NY area hockey for a local paper. No season, no job :(

Cake Boss

Banned
Just tried the NHLMoments Live thingy, very cool little feature, would have been more awesome if you could only let you play as Dustin Penner and not the entire team and your objective was you and only you as Dustin Penner had to score the OT winner.

Fei

Yep, it went from 32000 households to 25000 mostly because of how shitty 2010-2011 was

Buffalo despite getting a 6.55 rating is good enough for 42000 households. Not that big a difference.

Buffalo also had over 50% of their TV market blacked out for two months of the season because of a fight between Time Warner and MSG. :lol We're also maybe a quarter of your population. If you want to talk about on ice quality, we haven't won a playoff series in 5 fucking seasons. :(

So yeah, your fanbase kinda sucks. (And our team kinda sucks)

Edit: But that's awesome you got a job (hopefully) writing about hockey.

ShaneB

I'm pissed because I just got a job writing about NY area hockey for a local paper. No season, no job :(

I hate the Devils as well, so I'm not sure where I stand :p But you seem alright, and writing about hockey is no doubt a very cool job, so I hope it works out for you.

Not sure if these rumblings of a CHL PA are good or bad.

NHL 13 Demo: waved off goal

Bill: I don't see how this can be a goal, the ref said no goal, the replay is inconclusive, I don't see how you could call it a goal.

ref: points to center ice to signify a good goal

Bill: This should come as no surprise as the replay showed us it could have gone either way...

:lol

OnPoint

Buffalo also had over 50% of their TV market blacked out for two months of the season because of a fight between Time Warner and MSG. :lol We're also maybe a quarter of your population. If you want to talk about on ice quality, we haven't won a playoff series in 5 fucking seasons. :(

Shhh. Stop with the facts and deductive reasoning. Buffalo just sucks in comparison!

Then again, Hipster Ryan Miller might have something to say about it

G1Ves.png

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hold in the left stick as you skate in a straight line, it is more momentum based now.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing in the Demo preview video you can do more than that. Straight up is fast, but straight up and something like L2 or R2 is speedboost. Watch the demo video again and it'll show. That'll hopefully also eliminate cakeboss's impression that only the AI has this turbo. Both sides have it, you just haven't found it yet! :D

Also glad to see from Marvie'a review that the game seems to be a lot better and more realistic overall, perfect. I'll try it when I get back from work.

Follow-up question, how does speed/acceleration really feel like? Do you get a better sense of how fast a player is now and are able to burst past slow defensemen or is it still everyone the same?

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing in the Demo preview video you can do more than that. Straight up is fast, but straight up and something like L2 or R2 is speedboost. Watch the demo video again and it'll show. That'll hopefully also eliminate cakeboss's impression that only the AI has this turbo. Both sides have it, you just haven't found it yet! :D

Also glad to see from Marvie'a review that the game seems to be a lot better and more realistic overall, perfect. I'll try it when I get back from work.

Follow-up question, how does speed/acceleration really feel like? Do you get a better sense of how fast a player is now and are able to burst past slow defensemen or is it still everyone the same?

That is what I meant, push in the left stick as you hold it forward.

Also STUPID EA!! Beat the HUT tournament but apparently I wasn't connected to their stupid servers.. :/

Smiley90

That is what I meant, push in the left stick as you hold it forward.

Also STUPID EA!! Beat the HUT tournament but apparently I wasn't connected to their stupid servers.. :/

Nono from what I remember:

Slight up - not really fast
Full up - full speed
Full up AND L2/R2 - full speed & boost, even less control but faster. I'm on the phone right now but check the demo preview video to see what exact button it is, I'm pretty sure there is an extra boost, not just stick up.

EDIT: the video uses a PS3 controller, but pretty sure they say L2 or L3 at the same time as stick up for a boost, try that/ watch the video to confirm the button. It's the "NHL 13 Demo - True Performance Skating Tutorial" video with Giroux.

Osorio

You guys have 2 teams, the NYC area has 11

Hockey is the 4th most popular sport by far. The Rangers despite their 85 year history get around 74,000 households and a good portion of that are from NJ :(

Screw these EA servers for this demo, just had a stacked hut team with Stamkos, Malkin, Iginla, Z, Quick, etc....

Go to manage my team for the first game and get "disconnected from EA servers, you will be sent back to the mainmenu."

Cake Boss

Banned
Some impressions on the demo.

- Much harder to score, no more cross creese passes for the easy slapper as the shots tend to miss most of the time or the AI will poke the puck away.
- You cant dangle your way to the net against the AI, they will lay you out.
- The stickchecking and the poking, OMG I love it please dont change it. Its perfect as it actually fucking works.
- The AI so much better now, they dont just play keep away with you and are actually agressive.
- It seems the game wants you to pass and use the point more to create offense and emphasis on boardplay and cycling.
- Dumping the puck and forchecking actually works
- Your players get tired and has an effect on how they perform, they will get stuck in their zone more often, so changing lines has an effect
- You cant just pass through 3 players and expect it to land of the recievers stick anymore.
- The presentation, much better , no more bullshit after the whistle
- Moments Live is a very cool feature, too bad there wont be a season to have them update it throughout, knowing its EA its probably paid DLC.

Some negatives.

-The passing is kind of inconsistent, it takes some time to get used to.
-I have no idea what they did to the hitting but it is broken, a player will just scrape by another player with no speed or momentum and one of them will get layed out.
- The backwards skating is going to be exploited hard online, its way too easy to dust off a check or a pokecheck when doing this, hopefully they tone it down.
- The Soundtrack is still shit
- The AI seems to slingshot into you and pins you into the boards even though they are 5 feet away.

Overall much more realistic game, it took some tume to score and get used to the system because I was playing and trying all the bullshit in NHL 12 but didnt work. More cycling and smarter passing and using the point, the skating, tips and crashing the net resulted in more goals then just cross cress one timers and short side deak goals.

Cake Boss

Banned
Holy shit, was it because the girl was underage?

Sorry to derail, back to hockey.

WTF is up with EA servers, keeps kicking me out of HUT.
Oh and I noticed I still have yet to get a goalie interference penalty, I am very proud of myself.

jay ‏@FriesenNHL
Source " Wings had a very good offer on table, Calgary counteroffered. Flyers offer could end Flames Talks with Det. Offer is that good"

jay ‏@FriesenNHL
very credible source informed me the Flyers have put in "significant" offer for Bouwmeester.Source sais this could push Wings out of picture

Good, hopefully this happens and we don't get J-bo with what Calgary wants, hopefully Philly overpays, would love to see the wonderful reactions here.

Smiley90

What would Philly (and in the off-chance that the Canucks would trade within conference, Detroit too) be willing to give up for Edler? I don't want to see him go but if he decides he wants to go where the money is (like Ehrhoff) and told the Canucks organization early on, we'd better trade him before the deadline, so we get more than a 7th when we can't re-sign him. So just wondering what they'd be willin to give up?

What would Philly (and in the off-chance that the Canucks would trade within conference, Detroit too) be willing to give up for Edler? I don't want to see him go but if he decides he wants to go where the money is (like Ehrhoff) and told the Canucks organization early on, we'd better trade him before the deadline, so we get more than a 7th when we can't re-sign him. So just wondering what they'd be willin to give up?

Depends on what the Nucks would want for him, I would be willing to start with Flip and add if they want roster players, or if they want prospects I might be willing to go with tatar or nyquist or jurco and go from there.

Edit: just got another stacked HUT team:

lucic-horton-perry
camalleri-zetterberg-iginla
tavares-stamkos-grabner
suckyplayer-suckyplayer-skinner

keith-seabrook
larsson-byfuglien
suckyplayer-suckyplayer

price

Smiley90

Depends on what the Nucks would want for him, I would be willing to start with Flip and add if they want roster players, or if they want prospects I might be willing to go with tatar or nyquist or jurco and go from there.

Canucks would probably ask for a top6 Forward+ or some great prospect for him, I'd
assume, since Edler is a top2 D... Esp on philly/detroit. Kronwall/Edler sounds scary.

Edit: wtf stamkos-tavares on the 3rd?!?!?

Canucks would probably ask for a top6 Forward+ or some great prospect for him, I'd
assume, since Edler is a top2 D... Esp on philly/detroit. Kronwall/Edler sounds scary.

Edit: wtf stamkos-tavares on the 3rd?!?!?

It's what the line assistant did. So I switched it and moved Perry to the 3rd line with Tavares and Grabner and put Stamkos as 1C. Can't really break up Horton-Lucic and Cammy-Iginla and Grabner-Tavares because of the chemistry connection for HUT.

Smiley90

How does Philly think about a trade involving Edler and then anything with Simmonds/Brayden/(Couturier)?

Holy shit at some of the potential offers in here. Read and a 1st. I'm sticking to that. If Homer trades Schenn or Couts I'm gonna be pissed as fucking hell. And how the hell did we let Nashville sign Hannon?!?! Screw you sef!!!

Socreges

Banned
Canucks would never trade Edler to Detroit. Especially not for a prospect. He'd be difficult to trade, period, because he's such an important piece. Ehrhoff was easier to let go.

Smiley90

Canucks would never trade Edler to Detroit. Especially not for a prospect. He'd be difficult to trade, period, because he's such an important piece. Ehrhoff was easier to let go.

That's why I said philly would be more likely, if anything in this very hypothetical
Scenario. They also have some interesting trade pieces.

Acid08

Banned
DW was entertaining offers for Boyle but I guess nothing really panned out. Could he they're waiting to see if there's a season first, not much use to trade for a 36 year old dman when there isn't a season.

Socreges

Banned
That's why I said philly would be more likely, if anything in this very hypothetical
Scenario. They also have some interesting trade pieces.
I don't want to trade with Philly either. Bruce and Yankee hate wouldn't accept JVR + a 3rd for Schneider a year ago before signing Bryz. I think their exact words were "No way. JVR will go for someone truly valuable..... like Luke Schenn." They drive a hard bargain.

Top Bottom