• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

CREMSteve

95 points in 126 games, kid can score, but he is certainly proving to be quite injury prone, playing 65 and 61 games, respectively, in his first two seasons in the league.

6M does seem pretty high though, I was expecting closer to 5M.

Cake Boss

Banned
BWAHAHHAHA WHAT A CONTRACT. HANK YOU BASED Tambellini. 7 years for a player who has yet to play 82 games or close to it.

That Karlsson contract is looking better and better.

ShaneB

Kevin Smith was on “Brady and Lang in the Morning” today talking about the Devils and hockey in general. Was a good listen and he mentioned a couple documentaries. One I have to check out during this hockey lull is the miniseries “Hockey: A People’s History” I remember when it first aired on CBC that I wanted to check it out and completely forgot about it, so I’ll have to see if I can watch that sometime soon.

Where are the Oilers going to get the money to pay everyone?

RNH has two years left on his EL.

Eberle is entering the last year of his EL.

Paajarvi, Gagner, and Whitney have one more year as well on their contracts.

Meanwhile they're paying $5.5M and $5M to Horcoff and Hemsky, respectively.

At least they only have Khabibulin for one more year at $3.75M.

At 7 years you'd think they could bring the AAV down. Edmonton needs to overpay I guess.
Edmonton's doing cap circumvention wrong.

Damn, I wonder how much RNH and Eberle are going to eventually?

Hall at this point is the weakest of the three kids. Eberle should be looking at 6.5-7 per year.

dem

Halls contract is about what I expected. Signed a year longer than Tavares for .5 more in cap hit. I was hoping for the same deal Tavares signed.

Skinner signed for 6yrs@5.75. Not sure how anyone can complain about Hall signing for 7yrs@6

Meh

Of the young guys Hall is definitely the one I like the most. Captain material.

Osorio

Well, if he's filthy rich, he could buy out that lease, but it's probably more trouble than its worth to do that.

Yeah, besides I don't see him wanting to move the team to say Portland or whatever. He's a Calgary Flames season ticket holder. After all, the Devils are a financially viable team despite what most people think. Since moving to Newark they have broken even. Devils lost 15M in 2007 and 6.1M 2011, and made 6.9 in 2009, 1.4 in 2010, and 1.9 in 2008. So far the team lost 10.9 million dollars in operating costs since they moved to Newark but that is not including this past season which should wipe that number away. We have that monster TV deal, the arena is one of the busiest in the world, and our season ticket numbers are at an all-time high this season.

I guess I'm just being paranoid.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah, besides I don't see him wanting to move the team to say Portland or whatever. He's a Calgary Flames season ticket holder. After all, the Devils are a financially viable team despite what most people think. Since moving to Newark they have broken even. Devils lost 15M in 2007 and 6.1M 2011, and made 6.9 in 2009, 1.4 in 2010, and 1.9 in 2008. So far the team lost 10.9 million dollars in operating costs since they moved to Newark but that is not including this past season which should wipe that number away. We have that monster TV deal, the arena is one of the busiest in the world, and our season ticket numbers are at an all-time high this season.

I guess I'm just being paranoid.

He couldn't move them there without Paul Allen & AEG agreeing to it and he wouldn't be able to get any of the non-ticket revenue. No point in moving them there.

Osorio

So how he is going to fix the attendance issue? The team has been pretty sucessful the past 2 decades. Is he going to personally buyout the empty seats?

It's gonna fix itself. The fanbase is young (kinda like Ottawa's) and the team has high ticket prices. Like I said the season ticket numbers this season are an all-time high not only because of the Cup run but I think many Devils fans like me finally have jobs and can afford tickets. Previously the only tickets I could afford are the $11 seats they make available two hours before the puck drops. There's only 200 of those available. The next cheapest is $35 and then after that it's $51. This is the first season where I'll even be able to get a partial plan, as did 4 other friends of mine.

Also, you guys make it seem like we get nobody. 15,500+ is still a decent number. I don't get what the big deal is.

JABEE

So how he is going to fix the attendance issue? The team has been pretty sucessful the past 2 decades. Is he going to personally buyout the empty seats?

He isn't. The Rangers and Flyers dominate all of the regions NJ has to generate fans from. Even during NJ's championship era they couldn't get a foothold. The only Devils fans I know where I live are the people who were frontrunners, that became fans of the Devils because they beat the Flyers on the way to the Cup. They usually only show their face when the playoffs come around. That's no way to sustain a successful franchise.

Although I hate the Devils, a team that is run as well as the Devils should have a chance to succeed in this league. The market is too crowded.

Osorio

He isn't. The Rangers and Flyers dominate all of the regions NJ has to generate fans from. Even during NJ's championship era they couldn't get a foothold. The only Devils fans I know where I live are the people who were frontrunners, that became fans of the Devils because they beat the Flyers on the way to the Cup. They usually only show their face when the playoffs come around. That's no way to sustain a successful franchise.

Although I hate the Devils, a team that is run as well as the Devils should have a chance to succeed in this league. The market is too crowded.

Where do you live?

Socreges

Banned
It's gonna fix itself. The fanbase is young (kinda like Ottawa's) and the team has high ticket prices. Like I said the season ticket numbers this season are an all-time high not only because of the Cup run but I think many Devils fans like me finally have jobs and can afford tickets. Previously the only tickets I could afford are the $11 seats they make available two hours before the puck drops. There's only 200 of those available. The next cheapest is $35 and then after that it's $51. This is the first season where I'll even be able to get a partial plan, as did 4 other friends of mine.

Also, you guys make it seem like we get nobody. 15,500+ is still a decent number. I don't get what the big deal is.
The Devils do not have high ticket prices. No point in working through your anecdotes. The Devils are among the worst teams in revenue generated by ticket sales.

Osorio

1112singlemapprice.jpg

Seriously, how is the average $46?

Osorio

Maybe no one buys the high priced tickets?

Strangely enough the emptiest sections at games are the Green. On TV the black section looks empty but those seats you get access to the lounges behind the section and you get free drinks all game. If I owned the team I'd make the green section $25 or $20. Most Devils fans are college aged.

dem

PPG doesn't matter when you can't stay healthy like Hall

You so silly

Ankle injury from falling strange in a fight. OH MY GOD.. GLASS.
Skate to the face in warmup. WHAT A BANDAID.

This Hall is injury prone shit is so blown out of proportion. Every time Hall gets hit they show it on TSN and play it up. The only real injury hes had is his shoulder.. which he's had since junior. He missed the end of the season to get it fixed instead of waiting till summer.

Socreges

Banned
Those numbers are skewed though. If the cheapest ticket available is $35 how would the average ticket price be 45.86? Tell me, I'd like to know.
They're supposed to be skewed. They excluded premium tickets (which are the minority) that include amenities. The important point is where the Devils are in relation to other teams. Saying "ticket prices are high" can't really be true if they're below average.

Those prices also don't reflect the Islanders' average, for example:

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/islanders/v2/ext/images/2012_13_INDIVIDUAL_TIX_SeatMap081612large.jpg

Now I understand why other Devils fans don't stay here too long.
It's your own fault, dude. You can't let the jokes slide without making these long appeals.

Osorio

Shyeah.

I'm not even saying the Devils' attendance is bad. I just think it's misleading when you point to the Devils being "high revenue" or "having high ticket prices".

But they're in the top half of the league in revenue...

And I think they have high ticket prices because a good portion of the fanbase can't afford them.

Socreges

Banned
But they're in the top half of the league in revenue...
Because of things like TV deals (ie, being in the Atlantic), but you put that forward as if it's indicative of fan support.

Osorio said:
And I think they have high ticket prices because a good portion of the fanbase can't afford them.
That's true of all fanbases, no?

Osorio

That's true of all fanbases, no?

Yeah but many of those fanbases sell out their arenas because they have multiple generations of support. If you don't sell out your arena why wouldn't you lower your ticket prices in the sections where people are priced out? Getting $20 for the seat generates more revenue than the $0 you get for not selling your $35 seats.

Plus it would boost your attendance figures so people on NHL-gaf could stop trolling

Two birds, one stone.

Got Galchenyuk AND Price in my first starter package for HUT. I am pleased.

I just started HUT and got

Price
Galchenyuk
Stamkos
Skinner
Hall
Yakupov
Keith
Letang
Coyotes Jersey and Logo :\

Edit: Wow and just as I press A it disconnects me from the server and boots me out. Fuck you EA.

Seguin

Banned
Now I understand why other Devils fans don't stay here too long.

You think this is bad? Try going into NBA-Gaf

You so silly

Ankle injury from falling strange in a fight. OH MY GOD.. GLASS.
Skate to the face in warmup. WHAT A BANDAID.

This Hall is injury prone shit is so blown out of proportion. Every time Hall gets hit they show it on TSN and play it up. The only real injury hes had is his shoulder.. which he's had since junior. He missed the end of the season to get it fixed instead of waiting till summer.

The skate was a freak injury, the ankle absolutely not. The fact he's missed 20+ in his first few years is definitely worrisome, especially for a guy that plays as reckless as Hall.

Top Bottom