• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Marvie_3

Banned
idbZ4pRuF82fZ.gif

He'll be laughing all the way to that #1 pick again next year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hey look:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-ne...dale-council-to-vote-friday-on-proposed-deal/

The Glendale City Council will vote Friday on a proposed agreement with a likely Phoenix Coyotes buyer.

Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs and Councilman Phil Lieberman told The Arizona Republic that the council will hold a special meeting at 10:15 a.m. Friday to vote on the proposed 20-year deal with former San Jose Sharks executive Greg Jamison.

The council also is set to gather for a 10 a.m. closed-door session on Thursday to review the terms of the lease and non-relocation agreements with Jamison.

A public session, where residents will likely hear from legal and economic experts, is scheduled follow. City officials could not say when the public portion of the gathering will begin.

The city appears poised to pay a group led by Jamison nearly $325 million over 20 years to operate and make improvements to the city-owned Jobing.com Arena.

A Republic analysis of a draft released Monday by the city showed Glendale expects to collect less than half that amount via ticket surcharges, rent, sales tax and other team fees during the same period.

Scruggs and Lieberman both expressed concerns the city is rushing a vote on the agreement to keep the National Hockey League team in Glendale.

“This process should be slowed down,” Scruggs said. “I think the public expects an open dialogue.”

Lieberman agreed.

“This is absolutely deplorably terrible,” he said, adding that the meeting times would make it difficult for most Glendale residents to weigh in before council votes.

Other council members, including the four who appear poised to approve the deal, were not immediately available for comment Tuesday.

The Friday vote will coincide with another milestone for Glendale. Friday is longtime City Manager Ed Beasley’s last day as the city’s chief executive.

Beasley, who has been Glendale’s chief negotiator with the NHL and potential Phoenix Coyotes buyers for more than three years, submitted his resignation late last week.

This whole deal sounds like a mess but will eventually go through.

Wouldn't expect any less from Arizona.

Stat!

No I did not know that, can't imagine why they'd pass on Tavares though.

At the time, there was a debate between Duchene potentially catching up to Tavares.

At the time, Tavares' speed was severely questioned, and had he not "made it", it likely would have been the reason.

Everyone knew that Tavares had to be taken because of marketing and bringing the fanbase excitement as Duchene wasn't the hyped junior pick but it was an interesting debate. Obviously, it paid off as Tavares has improved his speed tremendously.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397809

The NHL's collective bargaining agreement is set to expire at the end of the summer and former NHLPA president Trevor Linden wouldn't be surprised if a few months were lost in the upcoming season.

"I would not be surprised to see a couple months go down," Linden told TEAM 1040 in Vancouver on Wednesday. "When you talk about ownership, especially in the States, they look at October and November as really tough months for them. They're dealing with Major League Baseball and the World Series (as well as) the NFL; so their season starts in December and works through January, February, March. If they're going to miss anything, they want to miss those months."

Not looking good.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I wonder how Burke wants to trade for Yakupov AND Luongo. Who does Toronto have to trade? Schenn? Kadri?

Razorskin

----- ------
I wonder how Burke wants to trade for Yakupov AND Luongo. Who does Toronto have to trade? Schenn? Kadri?

1st round picks

btw, does anyone know if there is any restrictions to trading future picks? Could you trade a 1st rounder in the 2030 draft now?

Cactus

Banned

It's a common misconception that the Leafs have nothing to trade. The team underperformed last year, but I don't think I'd be wrong if I said there are a lot of players on the Leafs and in the AHL that other teams would like to have.

Either way, I don't buy the Yakupov rumours, and Luongo (if Burke is actually interested, which, again, is only a rumour) wouldn't cost much.

Marvie_3

Banned
Jamison Still Trying To Raise Money To Purchase Coyotes

Although the Glendale City Council votes this Friday on a new 20-year lease (located at the bottom of this post) at Jobing.com Arena for Greg Jamison, the prospective buyer of the Phoenix Coyotes, sources familiar with the matter say the former CEO of the San Jose Sharks still has not raised enough money to buy the National Hockey League team.

According to these sources Jamison is having trouble raising the money to make the $170 million purchase because investors believe that even with a $15 million a year taxpayer subsidy over the course of the new lease the Coyotes will have difficulty turning a profit. The Coyotes, bought by the NHL while in bankruptcy in 2009 for $140 million, have been losing money even though they have been getting a $25 million a year subsidy from Glendale.

The Coyotes were last in the NHL in attendance this season, averaging 12,400 per game, about 5,000 less than the league average. Investors are skeptical that Jamison can boost ticket sales and revenue from non-NHL events enough to make the Coyotes profitable. Unlike the their rivals, the Los Angeles Kings, the Coyotes are not likely to get a new, rich cable deal. And the Coyotes are locked in the league’s new national television deal with Comcast through the 2020-21 season, so there is no upside there.

Don’t be shocked if the NHL lowers its asking price well below $170 million or the deal with Jamison falls through, just like the previous negotiations to sell the team to Jerry Reinsdorf and Matthew Hulsizer fell apart. In November we valued the Coyotes at $134 million, last in the 30-team league.
No way the NHL lowers the price. They'll raise it for the QC sale.

Letter to the Mayor and Councilmembers of Glendale

Dear Mayor Scruggs and City Councilmembers:
As the City considers a deal that will add substantially to its existing financial obligations, at a time when it is overloaded with debt and has had to cut city services and lay off city workers, we hope the Council will carefully consider the following questions:

I. What is the actual cost of managing Jobing.com Arena, minus the capital expenses for which the City remains liable under the proposed agreement? If the agreement is challenged under the Gift Clause, a court will look to the difference between actual management costs and the amount the City is obligated to pay to determine whether the agreement is a subsidy. The Council should insist on knowing those numbers so that it can determine whether the agreement is lawful and fair to the taxpayers.

II. The City also is giving the arena manager parking rights. In the previous proposed deal with Matthew Hulsizer, the City valued parking rights at approximately $100 million over a specified period, and used those estimates to issue bonds. The Council should be informed of the value of the parking rights that are being transferred and the basis of that value, as part of the assessment of whether the agreement includes an illegal subsidy and is fair to taxpayers.

III. We understand that the Tohono O'odham Nation has offered once again to partner with the City to relieve some of the financial obligations related to the arena. We are not aware that there has been any formal analysis of alternative Arena uses or a request for competitive bids for Arena management. We hope that the Council will explore all options before it exposes taxpayers to substantial additional long-term financial obligations.

IV. We understand the Council is considering adopting the deal as an "emergency" measure, which would deprive Glendale citizens of their right to refer the matter to a vote. As you know, the circumstances justifying an emergency declaration are limited. Given that the City apparently has been negotiating this proposal for quite some time, and the dire financial condition the City is in, denying citizens their right of referral seems inappropriate.

We hope that these inquiries will assist the Council in its deliberations over the proposed deal. We further urge you to not to rush to a vote. The terms of the 100-page proposal were released to the public for the first time on Monday, and not all the exhibits and associated documents have been released yet. There should be an adequate public comment period after all the documents have been released, particularly when they commit substantial public resources over many years.

Sincerely,
Darcy Olsen
I love how the city is willing to hand over the very same parking rights they were going to "buy" from Hulsizer. What a fucking joke.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Where are the people who were saying Fehr was brought in to get a deal and no way will there be a stopage? Both sides are insane if they left time be lost.

LOL...right when I saw it was Fehr I knew we'd get half a season.

Both sides are fools. One of the best playoffs ever, increased ratings, more popularity?

WORK STOPPAGE!

Absolute idiocy.

Plinko

Solo

It just goes to show how stupid and greedy both sides are. By all accounts, the NHL is on its best footing in the States in a LONG time. So of course, they'll piss that all away by losing half the season.

Marvie_3

Banned
Losing money each year with a $25 million subsidy each year.

I still have no idea why anybody in the area thinks this is a good idea.
Most of the people there don't think its a good idea. The problem is that most of the Glendale city council does.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It just goes to show how stupid and greedy both sides are. By all accounts, the NHL is on its best footing in the States in a LONG time. So of course, they'll piss that all away by losing half the season.

This right here. It's absolute lunacy if they end up with another work stoppage. There won't be any sympathy from the fans for either side.

Solo

Cunneyworth and Ladouceur fired as assistant coaches, and Martin Lapointe brought in as Director of Player Development.

Yes!

Aside from the highly questionable Therrien selection, Bergervin keeps making shrewd moves.

Solo

What the previous regime did to Cunneyworth is beyond shameful. I guess this puts him out of his misery.

Indeed, it was shameful.

But at the same time, he wasn't a good coach and I fully support the complete cleaning of the managerial and coaching houses they've done.

Fei

Indeed, it was shameful.

But at the same time, he wasn't a good coach and I fully support the complete cleaning of the managerial and coaching houses they've done.

I think it's tough to say much about Cunneyworth's coaching. The front office basically said "Sorry we didn't hire a French guy, we'll correct that mistake shortly." Pretty easy to tune a coach out in that situation.

Solo

He was just as clueless as Martin was with his lines. Plekanec played with two 4th liner scrubs on his wings under Cunneyworth.

One nice thing about Therrien is that he leans on his talent. So I expect heavy doses of Cole-DD-Patches next season. And if we can find 2 wingers to play with Plekanec, that line too.

Kosmo

Banned
This is ludicrous. The salary cap is excellent for the NHL.

Fiscally, they need it. However it is not a popular enough sport to get ratings when there is that much parity like the NFL and there isn't enough star power to go around - they really need to get down to 24 teams or so and the league would be awesome.

Solo

Hopefully Therrien kicks Bourque in the ass.

Therrien tore a strip off Gomez so many times as an analyst on RDS, and Bourque too. Methinks neither are going to do well under his regime :lol

Bourque especially, who is a lazy piece of shit. MT wants hard workers. So DD, Pleky, Patches, Cole, Gorges, Subban, Eller, White, Moen, Gio will do well. Bourque? Dead in the water.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Therrien tore a strip off Gomez so many times as an analyst on RDS, and Bourque too. Methinks neither are going to do well under his regime :lol

Bourque especially, who is a lazy piece of shit. MT wants hard workers. So DD, Pleky, Patches, Cole, Gorges, Subban, Eller, White, Moen, Gio will do well. Bourque? Dead in the water.

He is going to scare the shit out of Eller.

Solo

Hard to say. Eller is a workhorse, which MT likes.

As a commentator MT also said Subban should be allowed to celebrate his goals. So I wonder if we'll see a more "unchained" Subban this year.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hard to say. Eller is a workhorse, which MT likes.

As a commentator MT also said Subban should be allowed to celebrate his goals. So I wonder if we'll see a more "unchained" Subban this year.

I hope so. Subban can be prone to mistakes, but I prefer when he is allowed use his skills and have fun. I expect I more goals for him in the coming season, especially if he and Markov can gel on the PP.

Solo

Definitely. And whoever we get to run the PP better not be a dummy like everyone post-Muller has been and fucking STOP putting Plekanec on the point.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

You're saying Gomez will do WORSE? I see didgomezscore.com getting extremely successful.

Solo

You're saying Gomez will do WORSE? I see didgomezscore.com getting extremely successful.

Well, we are no longer in the Gainey/Gauthier era. If the new management is serious about winning, Gomez will be in the AHL and not the Habs' problem.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apparently Carbanneou has been offered assistant coach if he wants it. They really can't just reload the coaching staff with reruns and expect a whole of good to come out of it.

Top Bottom