• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Fei

2012 Calder Cup Champion Norfolk Admirals*

*Marlies missing their top 3 players, Game 3 decided by flukiest goal in history of hockey

Sorry, but...
mj-laughing.gif

Marlies game had fans wearing the following jerseys which made me laugh

Stalberg
Rosehill
Belfour
Roberts
Domi
Tucker
Sundin
Joseph
Mogilny
BEREZIN

Crowd was loud despite the lack of scoring, fun time

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

oh god that's an awesome OT goal. Happens in the NHL more often than not too, but I haven't seen it happen as an OT goal in such an important game yet lol. Bad on Scrivens for losing sight of the puck though, you just don't look away, especially knowing stuff like that has happened before.

EDIT:
Stanchion. I know that feel.

made me spit out coke, thanks. :lol

Heretic

oh god that's an awesome OT goal. Happens in the NHL more often than not too, but I haven't seen it happen as an OT goal in such an important game yet lol. Bad on Scrivens for losing sight of the puck though, you just don't look away, especially knowing stuff like that has happened before.

EDIT:

made me spit out coke, thanks. :lol

I thought the rule of thumb was that if it's in the glass you stay in net!?

ZeroGravity

By the letter of the rule, it has to be a shot on goal for it not to count. This wasn't a shot on goal, it was a dump in. It's a legal goal.

But let's go ahead and put an asterisk next to the Admirals, who've only won 42 of their last 45 games.

Marvie_3

Banned
By the letter of the rule, it has to be a shot on goal for it not to count. This wasn't a shot on goal, it was a dump in. It's a legal goal.

But let's go ahead and put an asterisk next to the Admirals, who've only won 42 of their last 45 games.
ITS ALL BECAUSE OF THE REFS AND INJURIES TO THE MARLIES

Socreges

Banned
Rule 83.4 of the AHL rule book, reads: “If the puck is shot on goal during a delayed off-side, the play shall be allowed to continue under the normal clearing-the-zone rules. Should the puck, as a result of this shot, enter the defending team’s goal during a delayed off-side, either directly or off the goalkeeper, a player or an official on the ice, the goal shall be disallowed as the original shot was off-side. The fact that the attacking team may have cleared the zone prior to the puck entering the goal has no bearing on this ruling.”

Interesting wrinkle there. Was it meant to include anything that happened to go on goal or would dump-ins be exempt? Technically, it should count as it wasn't "shot on goal". It was dumped wide and deflected on goal.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Rule 83.4 of the AHL rule book, reads: “If the puck is shot on goal during a delayed off-side, the play shall be allowed to continue under the normal clearing-the-zone rules. Should the puck, as a result of this shot, enter the defending team’s goal during a delayed off-side, either directly or off the goalkeeper, a player or an official on the ice, the goal shall be disallowed as the original shot was off-side. The fact that the attacking team may have cleared the zone prior to the puck entering the goal has no bearing on this ruling.”

Interesting wrinkle there. Was it meant to include anything that happened to go on goal or would dump-ins be exempt? Technically, it should count as it wasn't "shot on goal". It was dumped wide and deflected on goal.

Does a dump in that gets deflected off the boards and go on goal but gets blocked by the goalie get counted as a shot on goal or not? That might instantly clarify...

Socreges

Banned
Does a dump in that gets deflected off the boards and go on goal but gets blocked by the goalie get counted as a shot on goal or not? That might instantly clarify...
It actually doesn't.

"If the puck is shot on goal (action)"
"If the puck is a shot on goal (statistic)"

Two different things.

Anyway, they lost and I don't see much argument for the Marlies. Pretty ridiculous that Cox was discussing them re-doing the OT.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow what a lucky bounce for the admirals. Only a team associated with the leafs could lose that way.
I would cry if that didn't make me laugh. What a terrible way to go and I do think it shouldn't gave counted...why do I get the sinking feeling had it bee. the marlies it would have been called back?

Just end the season.

Stat!

Yes. It does count on a shot on goal. Its the same if a puck was going wide of the net, and the goalie tries to save it, and it goes in or if I were to shoot it, from 200 feet, and have it bounce off the boards and on net, that's a shot on goal.

The Admirals would have easily won the series as they are a ridiculously good team in the AHL but it's tough since the Marlies are a young team who did far better than young AHL teams usually do, lost their top 3 guys to injuries, and had this what-should-have-been disallowed goal occur.

Also I really hope we don't have a partial lockout, screw the stupid players union and Fehr if that happens.

I can't say I FULLY agree with this. If the owners bury their heads in the sand and demand a cap decrease then they can go fuck themselves. If the players bury their heads in the sand and demand the cap get abolished they can go fuck themselves. Both sides have said some pretty ridiculous things. Personally I think the players are probably owed a modest cap increase after the concessions they made last time. They shouldn't be held accountable for poor management decisions like keeping a team in Phoenix that depreciate revenues. They gave up a lot last time, but if Fehr is serious in his claims about getting rid of the cap (which I don't think he is, I think it's all leverage gamesmanship for negotiations) then he's just as batshit insane as Bettman.

What concessions? Players made out like bandits last time. Sure they accepted a salary cap but contracts are still going up and UFA starts at 27.

Cap floor keeps going up I imagine more and more teams will have trouble.

What concessions? Players made out like bandits last time. Sure they accepted a salary cap but contracts are still going up and UFA starts at 27.

Wait.... you seriously believe accepting a salary cap wasn't a major concession? They were the first major league to adopt one if I remember correctly... That's HUGE. Right now I think they get like 57% of revenues. Profits are still rising rapidly. I see no reason they shouldn't be able to extract .5% or something.

Cactus

Banned

AHL statement:

“On the play, a dump-in from center ice by a Norfolk player caromed off a stanchion and into the Toronto net. The correct application of AHL Rule 83.4 would have negated the Norfolk goal due to a delayed offside call.

“As AHL By-Laws do not allow for any change to the final result of a game based on an incorrect rule interpretation, the result of the game stands.”

---

The rules state that an attacking team cannot score on a delayed offside unless the puck touches a defending player before entering the net.

Either way, it was some terrible luck and the series is pretty much over now. Oh well.

Stat!

Last time, the players were eaten alive. The NHLPA was in disarray. That's why Fehr was brought on board.

Teams want UFAs later. Players want UFA earlier. UFA allows for more money to the player since it's many teams bidding and not just one team owns his rights. And the salary cap. Contracts go up because the cap goes up because the NHL is making money.

Oh, and we're getting a partial lockout. I would be shocked if we didn't.

Wait.... you seriously believe accepting a salary cap wasn't a major concession? They were the first major league to adopt one if I remember correctly... That's HUGE. Right now I think they get like 57% of revenues. Profits are still rising rapidly. I see no reason they shouldn't be able to extract .5% or something.

Yes it was a concession but can you seriously say that the players have it so bad now ? Look at the contracts being handed out, if you're a top player by age 27 you're getting a lifetime contract til you're 40. How are things WORSE for them ?

NFL had a salary cap long before the NHL and things are great there. Salary cap isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Florida had to overpay guys like Kopecky, Jovanovski etc. just to hit the floor, they could have filled their roster for less if it wasn't for the cap floor.

Forbes says only 11/30 teams are actually making money.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2012/05/30/lack-of-economic-parity-could-kill-nhl/

No idea how accurate that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Stat!

Yes it was a concession but can you seriously say that the players have it so bad now ? Look at the contracts being handed out, if you're a top player by age 27 you're getting a lifetime contract til you're 40. How are things WORSE for them ?

NFL had a salary cap long before the NHL and things are great there. Salary cap isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Florida had to overpay guys like Kopecky, Jovanovski etc. just to hit the floor, they could have filled their roster for less if it wasn't for the cap floor.

Forbes says only 11/30 teams are actually making money.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2012/05/30/lack-of-economic-parity-could-kill-nhl/

No idea how accurate that is, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Forbes is fairly accurate. Most teams don't make money.

Things aren't worse when you get paid millions and millions of dollars. And with the loophole, players can get stupid front loaded contracts (see: Ehrhoff and others). But take this for example, Bobby Holik was never an absolute bonafide star. A good 2 way player but never had that absolute scoring touch. In 2002, New York paid a 45 million over 5 year deal. 9 million a year. Players could be getting a ton more money but they don't have the negotiating power when they're limited to only one team until they reach UFA status (which is 27 for 90% of players).

Salary cap is a great thing for the NHL in terms of creating parity, but don't kid yourself. Teams could be paying players far more for their worth. The cap floor is good for the players but the cap ceiling isn't.

Things aren't worse when you get paid millions and millions of dollars. And with the loophole, players can get stupid front loaded contracts (see: Ehrhoff and others). But take this for example, Bobby Holik was never an absolute bonafide star. A good 2 way player but never had that absolute scoring touch. In 2002, New York paid a 45 million over 5 year deal. 9 million a year. Players could be getting a ton more money but they don't have the negotiating power when they're limited to only one team until they reach UFA status (which is 27 for 90% of players).

Salary cap is a great thing for the NHL in terms of creating parity, but don't kid yourself. Teams could be paying players far more for their worth. The cap floor is good for the players but the cap ceiling isn't.

UFA status was 32 (I think) before the lockout, now it is 27. That was a big plus for the players.

Bobby Holik was an awful contract but so is Leino, Bryzgalov, Redden etc. Salary cap won't stop stupid contracts.

Players are getting offered long-term contracts so they don't leave at age 27, no one forces them to accept those, they want to stay. Look at Suter and Parise, both made sure they'd hit UFA at age 27, they could have signed a long-term deal with their current clubs if they wanted to stay.

Most teams lose money but the owners make money off the area, events etc. So the ownership is OK in the end.

Marvie_3

Banned
I can't say I FULLY agree with this. If the owners bury their heads in the sand and demand a cap decrease then they can go fuck themselves. If the players bury their heads in the sand and demand the cap get abolished they can go fuck themselves. Both sides have said some pretty ridiculous things. Personally I think the players are probably owed a modest cap increase after the concessions they made last time. They shouldn't be held accountable for poor management decisions like keeping a team in Phoenix that depreciate revenues. They gave up a lot last time, but if Fehr is serious in his claims about getting rid of the cap (which I don't think he is, I think it's all leverage gamesmanship for negotiations) then he's just as batshit insane as Bettman.
The owners have every right to ask for a higher percent of revenue. You're forgetting one thing. The NHL is a business. The players are EMPLOYEES. If they're not happy with their wages, then they can go play in Russia for all I care. I fucking hate hearing a bunch of overpaid athletes bitch that they aren't making enough money.

Even a dozen Fehrs couldn't get the salary cap taken out.

Revenue sharing will go up to help shoulder the load for some teams.

The salary cap wasn't a major concession. The cap floor guarantees that every team has to spend a certain amount which leads to players getting more money than they probably should. Due to the cap hits averaging out over the term of a contract and teams being able to front load deals, players are able to make more money and have more options on where they want to play.

Marvie_3

Banned
Running Twitter update on the Glendale vote:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...oenix-coyotes-sale-glendale-vote-storify.html

Apparently the watchdog group's request for a delay in the vote was thrown out of court by a judge.

This thing is actually going to happen. LOL
Already posted this in the playoffs thread. ;)

Goldwater said they'd go right back to court if it passes. The judge gave them the ammo to do that:

Judge Cooper said:
court doesn't have authority to stop vote but there has been clear violation of court orders to provide documents in time
Sitren(Goldwater attorney) says Goldwater would be back in court to void the approval if it were to happen

The owners have every right to ask for a higher percent of revenue. You're forgetting one thing. The NHL is a business. The players are EMPLOYEES. If they're not happy with their wages, then they can go play in Russia for all I care. I fucking hate hearing a bunch of overpaid athletes bitch that they aren't making enough money.

Owners don't have a right to whatever amount of revenue they want. They have a right to negotiate with their employees for what they should be paying them.

Whiny owners are just as bad as whiny players. I don't think either side really is "entitled" to anything other than the right to negotiate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Already posted this in the playoffs thread. ;)

Sorry--I thought that I'd put general news in the, you know, general offseason thread :p

I honestly have no idea what is happening with this fiasco.

I still seriously wonder if Jamison can get the money together that he needs.

Marvie_3

Banned
Owners don't have a right to whatever amount of revenue they want. They have a right to negotiate with their employees for what they should be paying them.

Whiny owners are just as bad as whiny players. I don't think either side really is "entitled" to anything other than the right to negotiate.

Where did I say the owners should get whatever percent they want? I said they have every right to ask for a higher percent. Why should the players get more of the revenue when they're shouldering zero percent of the risk in owning a team? Whiny owners have every right to bitch when they're not even getting half of the revenue from the league.

Where did I say the owners should get whatever percent they want? I said they have every right to ask for a higher percent. Why should the players get more of the revenue when they're shouldering zero percent of the risk in owning a team? Whiny owners have every right to bitch when they're not even getting half of the revenue from the league.

So you're assuming that the labor is only entitled to half of revenue? You're assigning a profit margin based on pretty much entitlement. Owners don't get to decide profit margin. It's determined by cost. The players are entitled to negotiate over the cost of their labor. These are the basic principles of labor law.

Top Bottom