• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Razorskin

----- ------
"Hahahah your farm team lost in the AHL finals."

So? Good on the Marlies for having an awesome year. And congrats to Norfolk.

Typical loser talk. You would've acted like it was the Leafs winning the cup if the Marlies won.

SuperSonic wanting an asterisk on Norfolk's cup win :lol :lol :lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
2+ month lockout, shortened season, 2 team expansion to seattle and toronto

Came here to post this same thing.

And this thread has devolved into talking about AHL games? Let's get back to talking about the Wings signing Parise and Suter.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The delusion is strong with this one.....

That one was just for you, Marvie. Just for you.

I have absolutely no expectation that they will sign either player. I think a solid offseason can be had even if neither of those guys are signed.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think it was Elliot Friedman last night on HNIC that mentioned that a lot of GM's will be looking to trade a lot more this off season to address team needs instead of depending on UFA's seeing as the crop is so shitty this year, and the week leading up to draft day could be very busy.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't think he ever said that the Marlies were the better team or that they deserved to win the cup.

He DID want to put an asterix on them, indicating that they wouldn't have won without those details, or why else should there be an asterix there.

Andrew Murray.

Nice to have Stuart on the team.

That's around 10 own goals or so allowed for San Jose now. :D

I'm just glad we got something because we knew he wasn't going to sign with us.

Murray will either be let go or play for Grand Rapids, either way at least we got a 7th out of it. Now we need to hope that Suter doesn't resign and Detroit is going all in!

Plinko

That's around 10 own goals or so allowed for San Jose now. :D

I'm just glad we got something because we knew he wasn't going to sign with us.

Murray will either be let go or play for Grand Rapids, either way at least we got a 7th out of it. Now we need to hope that Suter doesn't resign and Detroit is going all in!

Murray is a free agent as well.

Acid08

Banned
So how about that defense Wings-Age? I don't think Suter can play enough minutes per game to replace Stuart and Lidstrom.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So how about that defense Wings-Age? I don't think Suter can play enough minutes per game to replace Stuart and Lidstrom.
I know just the guy for the job

kaberle2ua5x.jpg

Tabris

Detroit will be interesting over the next couple of years, as I don't think they can afford tanking it for good draft picks due to Detroit economy situation, and the years of Detroit scouting superiority is over.

Free agency will be key I think. Using their "winning brand" to entice free agents in.

Plinko

Brendan Smith can easily replace Brad Stuart. He was excellent in his time with the club last year and really should have been playing in the playoffs when Stuart was absolutely AWFUL.

I expect them to go hard after Suter--even more so than Parise. I think they have a decent shot of landing him and that would easily take care of the defense. If they don't get Suter, there are a few decent defensemen out there in FA that could fill the slot.

No matter who you get, though, you're not "replacing" Lidstrom. That isn't happening. It's a guaranteed downgrade.

Plinko

Brendan Smith can easily replace Brad Stuart. He was excellent in his time with the club last year and really should have been playing in the playoffs when Stuart was absolutely AWFUL.

I expect them to go hard after Suter--even more so than Parise. I think they have a decent shot of landing him. That would easily take care of the defense. If they don't get Suter, there are a few decent defensemen out there in FA that could fill the slot.

No matter who you get, though, you're not "replacing" Lidstrom. That isn't happening. It's a guaranteed downgrade.

I'm actually more concerned about scoring forwards, as losing Hudler also is losing 25 goals. They had huge trouble scoring in the 2nd half of the season last year. A healthy Cleary isn't going to get the job done, as I firmly believe he's on the downslope of his career. They need a good scoring forward badly. Nyquist should be up full-time next year but I think he won't fit the bill right away.

I have a gut feeling Semin ends up in Detroit. I think a change of scenery will do wonders for him and playing on the same line as Datsyuk could revitalize his scoring touch.

I expect them to go hard after Suter--even more so than Parise. I think they have a decent shot of landing him and that would easily take care of the defense. If they don't get Suter, there are a few decent defensemen out there in FA that could fill the slot.

Lidstrom is one of the all time greats and a super classy guy but at this point in their careers Suter would be a huge upgrade.

Plinko

Lidstrom is one of the all time greats and a super classy guy but at this point in their careers Suter would be a huge upgrade.

I see what you're saying. Lidstrom would be 42. Suter is clearly more athletic at this point. That said, Lidstrom's positioning was second to none. He still had a really good year at age 41.

Cake Boss

Banned
So rumors.

J.Stall to Carolina. Front runners
Crosby new deal is 90M for 10 years. Could have had14M if he wanted but wants to win.

No matter what happens and if we somehow can't get Suter or fix up the D with these two departures. I will take satisfaction in knowing that my club is far superior to everyone else's club over the last 20 years....

Screw that, we better keep on winning, I must be spoiled more!!

So rumors.

Crosby new deal is 90M for 10 years. Could have had14M if he wanted but wants to win.

Also a Flyers and Columbus rumor involving Nash and JVR.

Also a Flyers and Columbus rumor involving Nash and JVR.

I just heard on the radio that the Flyers are livid with JVR, they have a deal basically in place for Nash but Columbus is waiting on the results of JVR's surgery and he wont have it since he doesnt want to be traded to the Blue Jackets.

Two of the Staals on the same team would be cool.
Nope he needs to go to FLA, the Cats need a top 6 center and Staal would be the perfect fit to be a line-mate of Huberdeau. Florida has a couple extra D-men worth the trade (Staal has only 1 year do his value isn't as high). It's either him or Jokinen...

I just heard on the radio that the Flyers are livid with JVR, they have a deal basically in place for Nash but Columbus is waiting on the results of JVR's surgery and he wont have it since he doesnt want to be traded to the Blue Jackets.

Don't know why anyone would want to go to Columbus right now without a big contract in hand and an out clause. Even the Islanders are more exciting.

Solo

Habs could use him too. Hell, 85% of the teams in the NHL could use Staal. But only one is going to put together the right package to get him.

Don't know why anyone would want to go to Columbus right now without a big contract in hand and an out clause. Even the Islanders are more exciting.

I understand a player not wanting to go there, but to put off a needed surgery is insane. If he gets traded there that life, at least he is still making millions of dollars.

Plinko

So rumors.

Or he feels bad about getting 14 million a year and being injured half the time.

Good for him, though, for not taking the max he could get and helping the team.

I understand a player not wanting to go there, but to put off a needed surgery is insane. If he gets traded there that life, at least he is still making millions of dollars.

Ah, I didn't read what you said that way, thought he didn't want the trade, not the surgery. It's nothing life-altering but yeah clearly needs to get it done to play. You'd think Columbus would stay away purely on JVR's opinion though. If their GM is at all competent he should be staying away from guys he'd just have to trade away later this season.

Cake Boss

Banned

I am not sure a big contract is the best thing to have when going to a team like Colombus. I would rather have an expiring contract going to a team like that so I wont spend much time there and could decide my future through free agency.

Plinko

Did anybody else see this story? I don't think I ever saw it reported:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/18753882/name-change-may-be-coming-for-coyotes

Amid all the financial projections and political debates surrounding the Phoenix Coyotes' new lease deal with Glendale -- which was approved by the city council on Friday to clear the way for the team's sale -- was a little-noticed subsection of the agreement.

It reads, "The Team Owner shall use commercially reasonable efforts to have the name of the Team changed to the 'Arizona Coyotes' as soon as is commercially feasible."

A name change had been rumored for some time -- basically ever since the team moved from the US Airways Center in downtown Phoenix to Glendale in 2003 -- but had never been officially requested or acknowledged in the past. That's no longer the case.

Neither prospective owner Greg Jamison nor any Glendale official has mentioned or commented on the potential change, but based on the various subsections in the lease related to advertising allowances for Glendale and a mandated effort to include the word "Glendale" in the arena's official name, it's clear that the city no longer wants the Coyotes to be associated primarily with Phoenix.

Get ready for YOUR Arizona Coyotes!

Still waiting for Goldwater news this morning.

Also, still mind-boggling that Jamison has no financing and no money to do this deal. NHL is going to be up a creek if this thing drags on and he backs out later in the summer.

If the Flyers trade for Nash's shit contract I will be livid. I would rather trade JVR for L. Schenn that deal is so bad. Anyone that likes JVR for Nash failed cap management 101.

If the Flyers trade for Nash's shit contract I will be livid. I would rather trade JVR for L. Schenn that deal is so bad. Anyone that likes JVR for Nash failed cap management 101.

I dont get what you mean here? Did you mean to say anyone that likes Nash? JVR's contract isnt bad at all, and he still has a ton of upside. He just needs to stay healthy for a full year. I dont want Nash at all though, I want like 3 new defensemen, if they cant get Suter.

Edit: I see you fixed it, yeah JVR for Nash doesnt help the Flyers at all.

Habs could use him too. Hell, 85% of the teams in the NHL could use Staal. But only one is going to put together the right package to get him.
Panthers have some extra d-men to trade though. Moreseo it's Jokinen, he quit the team and dodged charity events in his last season. It was his squabble with management and Martin for "throwing him under the bus for the teams shortcomings." He was the damn captain, he should take that. Weiss and Dvorak kept going, they didn't quit the team but Jokinen was just too special. He brings back bad memories where as Jovo, Murphy, Skrudland and Lindsay are the right types of vets back in the orginization.

His skill though and pairing with Huberdeau would be nice but damnit he shouldn't wear the "A" much less any leadership role.

Top Bottom