• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Fei

Here's the article from July 6 last year:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/07/06/sp-leafs-summer.html

"We made a very substantial offer to Brad Richards," Burke said Wednesday at the Leafs prospect camp. "What we offered I don't think is material. We lost out on the Brad Richards sweepstakes for two reasons — one, we didn't offer as much money as other teams and more importantly we didn't structure the contract like other teams did.

"These deals that are front-end loaded and have small amounts on the back end in my opinion are designed to circumvent the salary cap. I won't do them, I never have, I'm not going to."

Socreges

Banned
Edit: Regarding Richards, I thought Burke came out the day of his signing and condemned front-loaded contracts, saying his team would never allow for them.
He might have, but I'd cynically suggest that he says things within certain circumstances, but would be willing to do otherwise if it meant he could land the right player.

Cactus

Banned
I'm not so sure about that anymore. Contracts can be hidden in the minors (Redden or Souray), or be moved to teams looking for the cap floor (Campbell), or moved to incompetent front offices (Gomez). It's even looking like Luongo will soon be moved.

The new CBA could change all of this, but right now I'm not sure there's much of a downside for rich teams like Toronto agreeing to these career contracts.

Edit: Regarding Richards, I thought Burke came out the day of his signing and condemned front-loaded contracts, saying his team would never allow for them.

That's true, but a lot of these guys demand no-movement clauses. I'm pretty sure Richards got one, and if his play declines over the next few years due to injury or age or whatever, the Rangers will be stuck with his cap-hit until he chooses to retire since his trade value will probably be non-existent. Same goes for Keith, Ehrhoff, Lacavalier, Ohlund, etc.

Fei

That's true, but a lot of these guys demand no-movement clauses. I'm pretty sure Richards got one, and if his play declines over the next few years due to injury or age or whatever, the Rangers will be stuck with his cap-hit until he chooses to retire since his trade value will probably be non-existent. Same goes for Keith, Ehrhoff, Lacavalier, Ohlund, etc.

Good point - a full no-movement clause makes a huge difference in the team's flexibility.

I get the feeling the Kings are going to put to shame those Marchand Cup pictures. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Doesn't matter, he's said he has no interest in going back to Minnesota.
Source?

The Wild aren't a bad team. They have some good young talent and injuries killed the second half of their season. Koivu is only 29. Backstrom is 34 though and with the prospect of losing Harding their goaltending could be an issue. A quick look at their defencemen doesn't reveal any number 1 defencemen either.

When you've played in the Cup final you tend to stick with the team you got there with.
Matt Hackett is going to be the Wild's next goalie. MN isn't going to have any problems with goaltending anytime soon.

You don't need a "#1 defenseman" to have a solid D.

Because they're going to trade Sharp and Kane to the Habs for Kaberle and Gomer.
Throw in Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, and Plekanec, we'll throw in Frolik, Emery, Kruger, Oduya, Olesz, and Crawford. Then we've got a deal.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Throw in Price, Pacioretty, Gorges, and Plekanec, we'll throw in Frolik, Emery, Kruger, Oduya, Olesz, and Crawford. Then we've got a deal.
No Subban?

sw50sw8sw578.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love this time of year because of the rumors. The first day of free agency is a glorious day.

That said, it always makes me laugh about how the Canadian press and guys like Eklund always try and turn rumors toward the Canadian franchises.

I've seen the phrase "I'm hearing Toronto" so many times it's insane.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Burke was in a tough position with the Richards contract stuff. It was fairly obvious that Richards was planning to sign with a specific team (which obviously wasn't Toronto), but the media would have crucified him if he didn't submit an offer. His interest was more for show than anything, which is why Connolly was signed so quickly.

I never did get the impression he was coming to Toronto. I'm also not sure he would've made a difference either...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Heretic and Dastardly, are there any particular players I should pay attention to next year in your AHL team? Norfolk and Syracuse just swapped affiliates.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure a lot of the Admirals players are on Tampa contracts. Wiki lists only four players on the team that don't have a Tampa contract.

Heretic

Heretic and Dastardly, are there any particular players I should pay attention to next year in your AHL team? Norfolk and Syracuse just swapped affiliates.
Sorry, bud. I just know about the Ducks prospects and they're moving to Norfolk, if I'm not mistaken.

So who thinks Penner stays in LA? Says he's willing to take a pay cut.

Heretic

That is why I'm asking. I live in Norfolk.
Oh! I got it confused. Emerson Etem(RW) (Dastardly's avatar), Kyle Palmieri (RW), Brandon McMillan (C), Dan Sexton (RW), Peter Holland (C), and Jeff Deslauriers (G) are our future and they're looking great. Some better than others. I actually expect the majority of them to be with the Ducks next season. If not, you should definitely check them out. Heck, maybe you'll switch teams!

Vman

After thinking about it, I'm convinced the Wild trade for Suter's rights and sign him. fairly certain that if Parise makes it to f.a. we then sign him to a monster contract. Wild are a playoff team when healthy and have a great crop of prospects. with those two who knows where were at.

Solo

Ain't got one, bro. But I've seen him asked about Minny this season and him responding that he didn't want to go back home. Video interview somewhere or other.

I guess you'll just have to wait until July 1 to know you should have never questioned me!

After thinking about it, I'm convinced the Wild trade for Suter's rights and sign him. fairly certain that if Parise makes it to f.a. we then sign him to a monster contract. Wild are a playoff team when healthy and have a great crop of prospects. with those two who knows where were at.

The hope is so cute!

Heretic

So if someone trades the rights to a player before they hit free agency, for example Justin Schultz, can he choose not to sign?

I've heard people say that they should trade the rights to Schultz seeing as he won't sign with the Ducks. How would that work?

So if someone trades the rights to a player before they hit free agency, for example Justin Schultz, can he choose not to sign?

I've heard people say that they should trade the rights to Schultz seeing as he won't sign with the Ducks. How would that work?

Yeah, this happened to the Flyers with Nabokov a few years ago. That's why teams typically pay very little for rights prior to free agency.

:( Need to make up for the loss of Schultz I guess.

We already will: Dumba :D

:lol :lol

Seriously, "heroes" is thrown around way too much these days.

Comparing hockey players to 9/11 firemen was just the tip of the iceberg.

All our AHL stars will be on our roster next season and all the rest I don't really know about.

Top Bottom