• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

This is what I was referencing, by the way...

The Vancouver Canucks filed 'cutdown' arbitration with forward Mason Raymond on Wednesday, instead of making a qualifying offer.

Last season, Raymond made $2.6 million and the arbitrator may not award a salary less than 85% of that amount or $2.21 million.

It's a Club Elected Salary Arbitration for players who were making more than $1.5 million per season.

Last season, Raymond had 10 goals and 10 assists for 20 points in 55 games.

He was slated to become a restricted free agent on July 1.

First time I've heard of Salary Cutdown Arbitration.

Erdrick

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=634670

The Jets signed Jim Slater to a new contract. No details disclosed, but I am happy they came to an agreement. He's my personal favourite of the current Jets squad. Does great things on and off the ice. He's played his entire career with the Thrashers/Jets and leads with 449 games played thus far.

Now if we could squash these Pavelic going to the KHL rumours, I'd be even more at ease on the upcoming (Eventually) season.

Tangent: I get easily excited over seeing the name 'Crosby' and other NHL-prolific names in context outside of hockey.

IE: Just set up a user with the login name 'pkane' - Penny Kane, and saw a quote before for someone with the last name 'Crosby'. My recruiter last year had the last name 'Orr' etc.

Tabris

Man I wish a network like TSN would do hockey highlights the same way they do Soccer highlights (like these EURO games) as they are like 6 mins long and you really get an idea of the ebb and flow of the game through them.

Obviously that won't work for Sportscentre, but perhaps their Hockey Tonight or whatever their hockey special show is called each day.

Here's an example of a highlight:

http://watch.tsn.ca/soccer/clip699134#clip699134

Socreges

Banned
This isn't surprising honestly. No way the Canucks let Raymond walk. He's still a valuable trade piece to a number of team.
I don't think him 'walking' is an option since he's an RFA. Either he stays, signed/traded, or his rights are traded.

Gonna be even harder for them get much in return, though. We're not willing to pay him the minimum amount... but I really think you guys would like him! Theyre probably hoping he accepts the cut.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What if another team contacted the Canucks and said "we'll trade for him but only for 2.0 mio" or something? Could that be a possibility? I'd imagine arbitration would be harder for a new team if only his rights get traded, so they wanna leave the burden of arbitration on the canucks?

Cagey

Banned
More Parise news!

But if Minnesota hockey icon and former Minnesota North Stars' GM Lou Nanne is to be believed, the Minnesota Wild have a plan to ensure that Parise is much more amenable to a return to his hometown state.

That plan? Offer him money -- nay, the most money.

"I had dinner with Craig Leipold on Wednesday night. I know Chuck Fletcher and Craig Leipold really want Parise, and what Craig told me is how hard he's going to go after him, and the kind of money he's going after him, I don't see how Parise's not coming here.

"I can tell you this: No one is going to outbid the Wild. So if Parise goes somewhere else, you can bet he's going for less money. [...] I'm not going to say the figure, but it's going to be plenty. It's gonna be a lot more than I ever expected. It's gonna be so substantial that I cannot see Zach Parise turning it down."

Well, if you enjoy being rich and losing close to home...

And Parise will still turn it down because some players still want to win along side the money they have, and I don't think he is going to win in Minny, sorry. I'm still thinking that he:

50% chance he resigns
30% chance he signs with Detroit
10% chance he signs with LA
10% chance he signs with some other team I am forgetting

The reason is still to me that Detroit has the money and winning atmosphere, not to mention he has said multiple times how he enjoys how Detroit plays and their playing style.

Still though, I see Detroit picking up either one of Parise or Semin no matter what, I'm more inclined to say they will get Semin as I think Parise may resign With NJ.

Marvie_3

Banned
More Parise news!

Well, if you enjoy being rich and losing close to home...
I hope this happens. Then I can post the "icalledit" gif.

And Parise will still turn it down because some players still want to win along side the money they have, and I don't think he is going to win in Minny, sorry. I'm still thinking that he:

50% chance he resigns

The reason is still to me that Detroit has the money and winning atmosphere, not to mention he has said multiple times how he enjoys how Detroit plays and their playing style.

Still though, I see Detroit picking up either one of Parise or Semin no matter what, I'm more inclined to say they will get Semin as I think Parise may resign With NJ.
He's not going to Detroit or LA

Cactus

Banned
I hope this happens. Then I can post the "icalledit" gif.

Supposedly Malone has vetoed trades in the past, though. I don't remember which "insider" mentioned it on Twitter, but he supposedly loves playing in Tampa and he has family members working for the organization.

Supposedly Malone has vetoed trades in the past, though. I don't remember which "insider" mentioned it on Twitter, but he supposedly loves playing in Tampa and he has family members working for the organization.

I'm pretty sure his dad is a scout for the lightning which is part of the reason he signed with them.

This. Hes going to a contender and not pulling a Hossa.

90% chance he resigns with the Devils.
Other teams he would look at are Pittsburgh, Boston, Stlouis, SJ etc

What? Only one there is Boston that he would go to, I'm sorry but Detroit is still a more possible destination than some of those.

Cactus

Banned
yea, i dont see Pitt or Boston. New owner in STL could be looking to make a splash though

If the rumor that John Davidson is trying to leave the Blues organization because of newly imposed spending limitations is true, Parise probably won't even get an offer from them.

Cagey

Banned

50% chance he resigns

I've been dreading the "Parise walks, NJD signs Semin" scenario for awhile myself.

Smiley90

So apparently... June 13 2011, today a year ago... Mason Raymond broke his back. And to celebrate the anniversary of that he's getting taken to arbitration. :lol

I've been dreading the "Parise walks, NJD signs Semin" scenario for awhile myself.

I say that as I know Parise does admire Detroit so I have a feeling if he does go to FA he will consider Detroit, plus it is known Detroit will make a big push for him. Semin already said he wants to go somewhere else, and after playing with Datsyuk at the worlds Detroit is a probably destination, also he is second on Detroit's list of forwards to pursue.

If the rumor that John Davidson is trying to leave the Blues organization because of newly imposed spending limitations is true, Parise probably won't even get an offer from them.

I think it's more that the new owner doesn't want to pay JD 2 mill a year to be president of the Blues. But he won't sign there. I'd bet all my money on Detroit. Makes the most sense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I see no way Parise goes to Detroit.

I think they get Suter with a humongous deal (decade-long and over-paid) and then go hard after Semin.

I see no way Parise goes to Detroit.

I think they get Suter with a humongous deal (decade-long and over-paid) and then go hard after Semin.

I think they still have a chance at Parise, but yeah I am thinking of the second option as happening as long as Suter doesn't sign. So in order for that to happen Sef you need to mail naughty pictures of yourself to Suter in order for him to want to book it out of Nashville.

Apparently Montreal is the most exposed to offer sheets this season with a large number of talented young RFAs they need to re-sign.

Jensen-Eller-Hansen would make an amazing Danish line for us!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Parise didn't go from being his own agent to hiring Newport Sports, THE cutthroat group of hockey agents, so that he could take a hometown discount anywhere. Does NJ have the real dollars to compete and be able to promise him long term money? All signs point to no on that one.

BTW, he didn't do himself any favors today by saying he'd never sign with the Rangers. Now his agent can't play them against any other team he wants to sign with.

ShaneB

Man I wish a network like TSN would do hockey highlights the same way they do Soccer highlights (like these EURO games) as they are like 6 mins long and you really get an idea of the ebb and flow of the game through them.

Obviously that won't work for Sportscentre, but perhaps their Hockey Tonight or whatever their hockey special show is called each day.

Here's an example of a highlight:

http://watch.tsn.ca/soccer/clip699134#clip699134

Euro 2012 is a special event, so no wondering why it gets so much coverage. But yeah, you're better off just watching That's Hockey/That's Hockey 2nite..2morning, or my preference, Hockeycentral. I use to enjoy Hardcore Hockey Talk on The Score as well, but that's obviously turned into That's Hockey2nite.

edit: speaking of which.. I'm so lost now as to what to watch at 11pm before bed now that Hockeycentral is done :(

Revenant

And yeah, we have arguments over stupid shit all the time, but it all stems from me downplaying things she thinks are "big problems" when they really aren't from my perspective because I'm from Mars and she's from Venus or whatever (omg my nails are broken and I can't get an appointment til next week). But I've found as long as I fake sympathise with what she feels is a big issue then it avoids confrontation. The good times and Pros massively outdo the bad/Cons though, so I'll take that "congratulations" and cheers it with my pint glass.

I think homer Simpson said it best

"Son, when a woman says nothing's wrong, it means everything's wrong. When a woman says that everything's wrong, it means everything's wrong. And when a woman says that something isn't funny, you'd better not laugh your ass off."

Apparently Jokinen is spending part if his summer in S. FLA..... He was seen last week at a heat game. His return may actually be happening. :/

Surely you're Jokinen, why would he want to leave the mighty juggernaut of Calgary to go to a playoff team like the Panthers?

And now I'm reminded that Michael Bublé might have a few entertaining things about Calgary to say this coming offseason...

:lol

It's funny cos it's true and it's sad because there's so many stereotypes that I can now see the truth in...

Smiley90

"Son, when a woman says nothing's wrong, it means everything's wrong. When a woman says that everything's wrong, it means everything's wrong. And when a woman says that something isn't funny, you'd better not laugh your ass off."

But what if it's REALLY funny?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I showed this to a girl I briefly dated once.

http://lookatmyhorsemyhorseisamazing.com/

She said it wasn't funny and that A DOCTOR OR A PROFESSIONAL WOULDN'T FIND IT FUNNY EITHER. I disagreed.

I think that was the night she broke up with me.

Moral of story? Doctors don't know shit.
Fuck me, I completely forgot about this, I haven't seen it in a few years sooo goood. I've had it playing for 5 mins straight now :lol

Top Bottom