• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Marvie_3

Banned
Surely you're Jokinen

jbjTqdNKZwAzQ0.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bah, the court meeting between Glendale and Goldwater isn't until Tuesday at 10:30 AM. Thought it would be sooner.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looks the Wild are going all in on Parise, expected to offer in the 8-9million range.

Dang.

Totally expected and I agree with the 10-year deal. I think he's in Minny after this summer.

ShaneB

Why would parise go to the wild? He just played in the cup final, he said he wanted to play there again sometime soon.

In the salary cap era, there have been plenty of players to leave cup winning teams in search of more money.

"I just won the Stanley Cup on this great team!! I can get more money somewhere else?!?! Time to bail on this winner!"

Cagey

Banned
9m/year for 8-9 years and I'll drive Parise's ass to Newark Liberty myself.

There's an amount I'm willing to shell out above what I think his fair market value is, for intangible value to the franchise (captain, beloved by fan base, homegrown, etc.), but there comes a point where its insane. You ain't Kovy.

In the salary cap era, there have been plenty of players to leave cup winning teams in search of more money.

"I just won the Stanley Cup on this great team!! I can get more money somewhere else?!?! Time to bail on this winner!"

This logic might have applied if Parise had actually won the cup.

The Wild aren't a bad team. They have some good young talent and injuries killed the second half of their season. Koivu is only 29. Backstrom is 34 though and with the prospect of losing Harding their goaltending could be an issue. A quick look at their defencemen doesn't reveal any number 1 defencemen either.

When you've played in the Cup final you tend to stick with the team you got there with.

ShaneB

This logic might have applied if Parise had actually won the cup.

Heh, I know... I'm just saying. You can be on a team and have a damn good season, a cup winning season even, but when you see dollar signs, you'll be outta there no matter what. And there are plenty of cases of this happening over the past few years.

Heh, I know... I'm just saying. You can be on a team and have a damn good season, a cup winning season even, but when you see dollar signs, you'll be outta there no matter what. And there are plenty of cases of this happening over the past few years.

Sure are. But does Parise really strike you as that type of player? Besides, he can have his cake and eat it too. He'll get paid AND he can be on a contender.

Curufinwe

Damnit. Why did this have to come from Holik? I want to agree!

http://deadspin.com/5918411/bobby-holik-now-a-blogger-blasts-the-flyers-for-trading-mike-richards-and-jeff-carter

EDIT: OK, reading closely not ALL of it. But his point is still there that the team bailed on a winning formula for no reason to try something less proven.

The Flyers problems this year without Richards and Carter, and in 2011 with them, were the same. (And they got demolished in the second round both years.) A weak defense thanks to Pronger being injured and goalies that couldn't be counted on.

Damnit. Why did this have to come from Holik? I want to agree!

http://deadspin.com/5918411/bobby-holik-now-a-blogger-blasts-the-flyers-for-trading-mike-richards-and-jeff-carter

EDIT: OK, reading closely not ALL of it. But his point is still there that the team bailed on a winning formula for no reason to try something less proven.

I totally agree with you, the Flyers should have kept all those guys and just asked the Kings to give them Quick and Brown.

SUPREME1

Banned
Just got back from watching the parade roll by in front of my job. Got some good shots off with my D3100 (55-200mm)

Will have to wait til I'm home to see how good the quality of the pics are though.

Had some clean looks at the cup itself, hoping those shots come out the best.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just got back from watching the parade roll by in front of my job. Got some good shots off with my D3100 (55-200mm)

Will have to wait til I'm home to see how good the quality of the pics are though.

Had some clean looks at the cup itself, hoping those shots come out the best.

How many people were at the parade?

Fei

I think Burke will probably submit offers to both Suter and Parise, but neither will sign here. Other teams in better positions will offer more money and more years.

From an outsider's view, it seems like Burke's stance on staying away from the shady, front-loaded contracts has really hamstrung the team on attracting the very top free agents every year.

The Flyers problems this year without Richards and Carter, and in 2011 with them, were the same. (And they got demolished in the second round both years.) A weak defense thanks to Pronger being injured and goalies that couldn't be counted on.

This is just completely untrue. The previous year the defense was solid and predictable. This was largely due to the defensive capabilities of our forwards. Flyers D has gone to shit since those guys left. Attributing none if it to their departure is just foolish.

Cactus

Banned
From an outsider's view, it seems like Burke's stance on staying away from the shady, front-loaded contracts has really hamstrung the team on attracting the very top free agents every year.

You're probably not wrong, but I don't blame him. Moral bullshit aside, most of those contracts will eventually hurt their team. I guess it's worth it if that player helps the team win a cup, but the Leafs aren't really in a position where one player will put them "over the top."

SUPREME1

Banned
How many people were at the parade?

Not sure, but it was a lot. I was on Figueroa near Wilshire and the further down you looked towards Staples, the more denseiot got.

Lots of cheering. Good turn ou. These guys are now legit heros, to all people, fans or not.

Socreges

Banned
Being a cap team also doesn't help.

But did he say he wasn't willing to give Brad Richards big money? I thought it was just that Richards didn't want to play in Toronto.

Cactus

Banned
But did he say he wasn't willing to give Brad Richards big money? I thought it was just that Richards didn't want to play in Toronto.

Burke was in a tough position with the Richards contract stuff. It was fairly obvious that Richards was planning to sign with a specific team (which obviously wasn't Toronto), but the media would have crucified him if he didn't submit an offer. His interest was more for show than anything, which is why Connolly was signed so quickly.

Plinko

The Wild aren't a bad team. They have some good young talent and injuries killed the second half of their season. Koivu is only 29. Backstrom is 34 though and with the prospect of losing Harding their goaltending could be an issue. A quick look at their defencemen doesn't reveal any number 1 defencemen either.

When you've played in the Cup final you tend to stick with the team you got there with.

The only problem I'd have with playing in Minnesota is staying awake on the bench in between shifts.

Fei

You're probably not wrong, but I don't blame him. Moral bullshit aside, most of those contracts will eventually hurt their team. I guess it's worth it if that player helps the team win a cup, but the Leafs aren't really in a position where one player will put them "over the top."

I'm not so sure about that anymore. Contracts can be hidden in the minors (Redden or Souray), or be moved to teams looking for the cap floor (Campbell), or moved to incompetent front offices (Gomez). It's even looking like Luongo will soon be moved.

The new CBA could change all of this, but right now I'm not sure there's much of a downside for rich teams like Toronto agreeing to these career contracts.

Edit: Regarding Richards, I thought Burke came out the day of his signing and condemned front-loaded contracts, saying his team would never allow for them.

Plinko

Top Bottom