• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What a little fucking dick, leads the team to believe that hes going to sign with them then out of the blue says no.Wouldnt have this little bitch anywhere near my team with that attitude and ahit character.

And its not like hes playing for the Isles or Colombus. Its fuckung Anaheim with bunch of olympians and young players like Fowler Sbisa, Etem, Rackell etc.

Kyle Turris has a similar attitude and he plays for your team. I know it is not the same but it was just as disrespectful.

Fei

I still don't understand the Schultz situation. He "de-registered" from Wisconsin and the NCAA, so the team that drafted him loses all rights after 30 days? Was there something unique to Schultz's situation, or can any NCAA player do the same? It seems like a pretty huge loophole in the draft process.

So how crazy is fucking Howson? His demands are insane. The guy wants to fix all his problems he created with one trade - not gonna happen. Gordie Clarke from the Rangers said it best - "They want to give us Nash, but they want us to look like Columbus when we're done."

Blue Jackets got the complete wrong idea about how to go about things. Their beat writer says they are looking to "refresh" rather than rebuild. Good luck with that. A team like that needs a full rebuild.

I still don't understand the Schultz situation. He "de-registered" from Wisconsin and the NCAA, so the team that drafted him loses all rights after 30 days? Was there something unique to Schultz's situation, or can any NCAA player do the same? It seems like a pretty huge loophole in the draft process.

Any player can choose not to sign with the team that drafted them. If they wait it out a few more years, depending on where they were drafted from, they either re-enter the draft (like Tim Erixon would have last year) or they can become a free agent (Like Wheeler and now Schultz).

Cake Boss

Banned
Kyle Turris has a similar attitude and he plays for your team. I know it is not the same but it was just as disrespectful.

One guy didnt get along with the coach because the young players always got the shaft and buried on the 4th line. One hasnt even played a game yet.
And one guy actually signed a contract with them so they could trade him and get something back for him. One isnt even looking at a sign and trade.

First, multiple sources are telling me that Niklas Hjalmarsson is in play with perhaps numerous suitors, the strongest rumor linking him to Ottawa, in exchange for depth center Zack Smith and a draft pick.

Nooooo I love me a Zack Smith, anyone else please.

Fei

Any player can choose not to sign with the team that drafted them. If they wait it out a few more years, depending on where they were drafted from, they either re-enter the draft (like Tim Erixon would have last year) or they can become a free agent (Like Wheeler and now Schultz).

Ok, I think I get it. Schultz went to Wisconsin after being drafted and didn't sign a contract. Then he drops out which give the drafting team 30 days to sign him. That ends, and he's a UFA.

I think I was confused because I thought all draft picks sign an entry level deal within a year of being drafted. Since he never signed with Anaheim, he does not become their RFA. That sucks.

MacAttack

Do you guys remember what happened on this day one year ago?

jH6cy.jpg

x8bwN.jpg

1QRfD.jpg

p6Jlz.jpg

NyWvs.jpg

I'm off to go watch my Stanley Cup Blu-ray and eat an enormous dark chocolate and hazelnut bar.

This really pumps my tires.

Cactus

Banned
Ok, I think I get it. Schultz went to Wisconsin after being drafted and didn't sign a contract. Then he drops out which give the drafting team 30 days to sign him. That ends, and he's a UFA.

I think I was confused because I thought all draft picks sign an entry level deal within a year of being drafted. Since he never signed with Anaheim, he does not become their RFA. That sucks.

Yeah, rules for US college players and drafted players playing for a European club are a bit different. Their rights will still be retained by their NHL club as long as they're playing in their respective leagues, even if they don't sign an ELC within two years. A CHL based player would have to either re-enter the draft or become a free agent if they don't sign a contract.

A good comparison would be two European players drafted by the Leafs. Leo Komarov was drafted in 2006 and decided to play in Europe rather than sign a contract, allowing the Leafs to retain his rights and sign him this summer, 6 years later. On the flip side, Sondre Olden, who moved from Europe to the OHL this past season, was not offered a contract, and will re-enter the draft.

Solo

Looks like Travis Moen is negotiating a multi-year deal to stay in Montreal............YES!

Absolutely love what he brings and especially love that he wants to be in Montreal. Now we'll get a chance to see how Bergevin does on this end of things. Hopefully he's much shrewder than Gainey/Gauthier were on amount/term.

Looks like Travis Moen is negotiating a multi-year deal to stay in Montreal............YES!

Absolutely love what he brings and especially love that he wants to be in Montreal. Now we'll get a chance to see how Bergevin does on this end of things. Hopefully he's much shrewder than Gainey/Gauthier were on amount/term.

Well that is a first. :p

I kid.

Maybe when Murray traded Lupul, Gardiner and a 4th for Beauchemin, Schultz realized that his GM was a massive boob and influenced his decisions to get the fuck out of dodge.

Cactus

Banned
Can't believe he'd rather play with a friend than with a team that has a chance at the cup...

Exactly, which is why he's not signing with neither the Ducks nor Toronto.

He'll want to go to a team that gives him the best chance to establish himself as a legitimate NHL defenceman. He isn't going to get that playing bottom pairing minutes in Vancouver.

Assuming he's as NHL ready as people say, he'd probably start the season with Gardiner on the second pairing if he signs with Toronto, and the Oilers would definitely have him in their top-4 as well.

Erdrick

Rumor going around the Evander Kane doesn't want to sign with the Jets

Yeah, it was posted a page or so ago here. Does not surprise me, and while I would miss his on-ice play, I wouldn't miss the off-ice drama that surrounds him and his attitude. It's only a rumour of course, but maybe something will happen before next season starts. If he does not want to play here, then fine, go. I don't really want players who are unhappy playing on our team here in Winnipeg.

Yeah, it was posted a page or so ago here. Does not surprise me, and while I would miss his on-ice play, I wouldn't miss the off-ice drama that surrounds him and his attitude. It's only a rumour of course, but maybe something will happen before next season starts. If he does not want to play here, then fine, go. I don't really want players who are unhappy playing on our team here in Winnipeg.

The last time that happened they had to move the whole team.

Evander Kane available? Ohhh that would a killer line of Huberdeau-Jokinen-Kane. I am in favor of this.

Barch would have to go though.

[I really hope Barch is no longer on the team.

Erdrick

A lot of the issues with Kane have stemmed from stuff like this: http://jetsnation.ca/2012/1/22/has-a-city-turned-on-a-star-player

For whatever reason, he had a concussion early on in 2012 and it really did affect his play. I watched each and every Jet game last year and I must have missed when he got hit that badly. Whatever the case, he was not his usual explosive self on the ice and was about as subdued as Nik Antropov on a usual night.

I just wonder why out of all the players on the team, this type of stuff follows him around like the plague? I never hear anything bad about the other guys. (Although Bryan Little went to my local game store last fall and was trying to get NHL 2012 early. He joked since he was in the game, he could get a copy early to playtest it? lol) Perhaps because he is the most potentially dominant player on the team and some people hate that? In interviews and the like, he has sounded like the consummate professional to me each time. I remember as early as back in October when the Jets played in Philly to that insane 9-8 game or whatever and even THEN, there were trade rumours.

I want him to stay, since he WILL be a great player for years to come, and what team wouldn't want someone like him around? This is a rumour, like any other, and I do hope that he suits up in a Jets uniform again this fall (Or whenever hockey starts again) but I would not be shocked if he ends up elsewhere.

Also: Black People don't tip? What? Is this a meme I don't know about or something?

Montresor

Your negativity! I will break you! :(

Having Schultz would be great. Shut up Monty.

I just don't like that "someone got to him" line from Boudreau. And some beat reporter from Minnesota was saying how Anaheim would be preparing a tampering case against whichever team signs Schultz.

I have no idea. If Grigorenko is available at #5 and Burke passes I'll be really pissed.

If the Leafs get an elite centre prospect from this draft, then I'll be incredibly happy. Whether it's Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, I don't care. I really hope Grigorenko drops to us. We could use a 6foot3 centre with awesome talent. I'd be disappointed if the Leafs left the draft without either centre, but regardless we're going to get someone god damn good.

Just about a week left!

Exactly, which is why he's not signing with neither the Ducks nor Toronto.

Once the Leafs have a goaltender, they'll have just as much chance as getting a Cup as the Ducks do. And I'm not shitting on either of our clubs, I mean they'll have a very legitimate chance.

All you need are the pieces, nothing else is guaranteed.

Cactus

Banned
I just don't like that "someone got to him" line from Boudreau. And some beat reporter from Minnesota was saying how Anaheim would be preparing a tampering case against whichever team signs Schultz.

Yeah, but that's all speculation. The person that "got to him" could simply be his agent. Plus, what was he supposed to say to Boudreau? "Sorry, but me and my agent have been planning to hold out so I can sign with Edmonton, Toronto or Vancouver in July"

If the Leafs get an elite centre prospect from this draft, then I'll be incredibly happy. Whether it's Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, I don't care. I really hope Grigorenko drops to us. We could use a 6foot3 centre with awesome talent. I'd be disappointed if the Leafs left the draft without either centre, but regardless we're going to get someone god damn good.

Just about a week left!
Totally agree. We don't need another safe pick, we need a guy who has the tools to become a top-line center. I'd take a chance on a risky player like Grigorenko over yet another player who might be a second-liner one day.

Montresor

Also, I want Dumba, but only because Red_Man kept posting before that he didn't want the Leafs to get him.

I know nothing about Dumba, or any of the prospects, other than Yakupov is the best one, and that Galchenyuk and Grigs are supposted to be good centres, and that the top five should be good.

Top Bottom