• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Strickland back tracking:

Strickland said:
University of Wisconsin D-man Justin Schultz will remain on the Anaheim Ducks reserve list until June 25th. I mentioned the other day of some Canadian based teams who will likely express serious interest..

Uhh, no Andy, that is not what you said...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Man...what do we do after Friday? :'( July 1st and that's it.

Fuckin playoffs had to be so boring. It has felt like months without hockey.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Who's this Trouba guy that Kimelman has Toronto picking instead of Grigorenko?
Defensive defenseman that was pretty good for the US at this past world juniors.
Also, I want Dumba, but only because Red_Man kept posting before that he didn't want the Leafs to get him.

I know nothing about Dumba, or any of the prospects, other than Yakupov is the best one, and that Galchenyuk and Grigs are supposted to be good centres, and that the top five should be good.
I think Dumba is going to end up being the best D man from this draft and probably one of the best overall players. He plays on the edge and makes a lot of big plays with big hits, I think he has star potential.

On Grigorenko, I'll be pretty surprised if he isn't on the board at 5, just because the teams ahead have better players to choose from and don't want to risk it I guess. I would be fine with Montreal picking him, I think his weaknesses have been really over exaggerated.

Thread is slow today, next friday needs to get here fast along with July 1st, this year should be more entertaining than last year with at least Semin and Suter both declaring they are going to look at free agency.

I'll be mad at Howson if we don't get a respectable goalie. We have two potential first round picks and a lazy RW who has star player potential. I'd be all for Bobby Lou if something can be worked out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Last year was the age of overpayment.

I don't see how this year is any different. Those ridiculous contracts last year are going to be used by agents around the league as bases for new contracts.

Socreges

Banned
I'll be mad at Howson if we don't get a respectable goalie. We have two potential first round picks and a lazy RW who has star player potential. I'd be all for Bobby Lou if something can be worked out.
I'd love him to go to CBJ, but he would never allow it (NMC).

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't see how this year is any different. Those ridiculous contracts last year are going to be used by agents around the league as bases for new contracts.
David Jones already got 16 M for 4 years so yea....Parises gonna hit the jackpot. I'm curious to see who grabs Kostitsyn and for how much, likewise with Semin.

Cake Boss

Banned
Wow that is a sad list.

Welcome to the cap era. You cant just buy teams anymore. Everyone now just drafts and locks up their talent in long term contracts. But you also need to bring people through trade or free agency to have some sucess.

LA- Richards, Carter, Penner, Gagne
Boston- Chara, Rechi, Seidenberg, Kelly
Chicago- Hossa, Campbell

Tabris

I think Luongo will be traded on draft day. Which is thankfully at 4pm PST so I'll be able to watch that (leave work a bit early)

July 1st is on a Sunday. TSN/Sportsnet must be loving that as I personally will be tuning in for the entire day coverage.

Looking at these player usage charts, I am completely convinced that without Staal, Malkin and Crosby would not be able to put up the numbers they usually tally.

Marvie_3

Banned
Looking at these player usage charts, I am completely convinced that without Staal, Malkin and Crosby would not be able to put up the numbers they usually tally.

iuctluiCvf3dz.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
NHL plans to take Devils from owner Vanderbeek

Hockey is getting ready to freeze out New Jersey Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman is preparing to take control of the money-losing hockey franchise in the event Vanderbeek fails to refinance the Devils’ debt before a looming Aug. 14 deadline, The Post has learned.

In recent days, the commissioner’s office has told potential suitors to be ready in case he moves on the team and pushes Vanderbeek aside, a source close to the situation said.

Vanderbeek is near a deal to sell a majority stake to a mystery investor, which would allow him to keep control of the Eastern Conference champions, one source said. The proceeds from a sale would be used to repay lenders much of the $77 million in past due debt.

But while Bettman has said publicly that he expects the Devils’ financial situation to be resolved soon, his behind-the-scenes moves suggest he’s far from confident that a deal will get done.

His skepticism shouldn’t come as a surprise. Since the Devils missed a principal payment in September, Vanderbeek has said several times he was close to a solution to the team’s debt woes, only to come up short.

When the team made it to Stanley Cup finals this spring, the team’s lenders agreed to extend the deadline for when they could put the team in default from early July to August, sources said.

Asked about the Devils before Game 1 of the finals last month, Bettman said Vanderbeek “is working to both refinance the debt on the club and equity-raise, and he appears to be fairly confident that he can pull this off in the next few weeks.”

Bettman added, “Since I’ve been in touch with the banks on a regular basis, we seem to be on track.”

The commissioner is expected to give Vanderbeek a few more weeks to complete a financial restructuring but will not wait until the Aug. 14 deadline passes, sources said.

The NHL would likely force him out sooner to give suitors enough time to study the team’s financials and make an offer to lenders before the bankruptcy deadline, according to sources.

Moreover, new investors may not want to buy the team and leave Vanderbeek in charge, sources added.

Faced with losing control of the team, Vanderbeek could also decide to put the Devils into bankruptcy and buy himself several months to arrange a restructuring plan.

Thanks to their success on ice this year, when the team staged an upset win over the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Championships, the Devils could go from losing $20 million in the regular season to almost breaking even next year, sources said.

The Devils declined to comment, while the NHL did not return calls.
I think this means the Phoenix situation comes to a close sooner than later. I can't imagine the NHL wanting to have to run another team besides the Coyotes with this mess looming.

LOL...this is my new favorite GIF.

Coyotes/Goldwater court date tomorrow at 10:30! CATCH THE ACTION!
I'd kill for a live stream of the court hearing.

MacAttack

Welcome to the cap era. You cant just buy teams anymore. Everyone now just drafts and locks up their talent in long term contracts. But you also need to bring people through trade or free agency to have some sucess.

LA- Richards, Carter, Penner, Gagne
Boston- Chara, Rechi, Seidenberg, Kelly
Chicago- Hossa, Campbell
Add Nathan Horton to that list for Boston.

Top Bottom