• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

That's because you're blinded by an absurd level of hate towards the Devils.
This has nothing to do with that. If the league takes over the team and finds a new owner I dobt see why the would force the team to stay there. They are losing money in NJ. I have no doubt that there are places where a team with 3 recent cups wouldn't lose money.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think this means the Phoenix situation comes to a close sooner than later. I can't imagine the NHL wanting to have to run another team besides the Coyotes with this mess looming.

To me, I see the NHL now being even more willing to loan (LOL, more like gift) the money Jamison needs to buy the Coyotes franchise since they'll be taking over the Devils.

Marvie_3

Banned
This has nothing to do with that. If the league takes over the team and finds a new owner I dobt see why the would force the team to stay there. They are losing money in NJ. I have no doubt that there are places where a team with 3 recent cups wouldn't lose money.
The NHL would force them to stay there because that's what they do with pretty much every new owner/ownership group(excluding TNSE w/ Winnipeg). It's a non-issue. The league forces new owners to sign non-relocation agreements. The only reason Atlanta was allowed to move was because the NHL didn't have any way to keep them there. It would be far easier to find ownership for a team near NYC that it would be if the team was in Kansas City. No other location is going to get them as much in local tv contracts like they do now, except maybe Toronto but a second team there isn't happening anytime soon. New Jersey is a far better market than a lot of the other potential markets. If the NHL takes them over, pays off the $70M debt payment this summer, and finds new ownership, the Devils will be fine going forward.

Also, almost every team loses money occasionally. That's a pointless argument to make.

To me, I see the NHL now being even more willing to loan (LOL, more like gift) the money Jamison needs to buy the Coyotes franchise since they'll be taking over the Devils.
Not if they have a Devils bailout incoming. It would be around ~$80M going to either Phoenix or New Jersey and the Devils situation is the only one where they could possibly get that money back.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't possibly imagine the Devils leaving.

Cake Boss

Banned
Confirmation from @jrimercbj that the #Sens are one of the teams interested in #Jackets forward Rick Nash. #NHL

Minnesota beat writer Michael Russo also reporting Ottawa are pursuing Nash.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

STAY THE COURSE MOTHERFUCKER. STOP TRYING TO SPEED SHIT UP MURRAY!
(Zibby, Stone, Silfersurfer and Lehner better not be involved in this)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

STAY THE COURSE MOTHERFUCKER. STOP TRYING TO SPEED SHIT UP MURRAY!
(Zibby, Stone, Silfersurfer and Lehner better not be involved in this)

It would only make sense if Alfie is retiring this summer, we'd need to replace all he brings immediately, Nash would fit the bill.

Otherwise I don't know, I can't imagine Nash even waiving his NMC for Ottawa. No harm in kicking tires I suppose but I doubt we'll pull the trigger, asking price is ridiculous.

ShaneB

Nash going to Ottawa would be great. Them giving up a lot of their young talent to get him? Not great. Please don't do it.

Cactus

Banned
LOL.

I don't want the Leafs to have to face Nash six times a year, but if Ottawa gives up the farm to get him, it might not be so bad.

Cake Boss

Banned
It would only make sense if Alfie is retiring this summer, we'd need to replace all he brings immediately, Nash would fit the bill.

Otherwise I don't know, I can't imagine Nash even waiving his NMC for Ottawa. No harm in kicking tires I suppose but I doubt we'll pull the trigger, asking price is ridiculous.

Wouldn't they be going after Nash all of the sudden mean that Alfie is coming back and they want to take a chance at the cup next year? Apparently hes suppose to be making an announcement this week before the draft or the next 48 hours as some rumors have it. Maybe he already told management and they want to bring an impact player for a deep playoff run.

Shawn Simpsons just had this tweet a couple of minutes ago as well.

Shawn Simpson ‏@SSimpsonHockey
Nash means Alfie back, can add a year on his deal. @TEAM1200Ottawa Turris trade will look better. Top six F's look great. Need top 4Dman

I just hope Lehner or Stone arent involved in this, give them someone else like Bishop and Puempel and I'll be fine.

Cagey

Banned
Awesome news. Get that team out of NJ ASAP!

Yep, we're leaving Jersey because of a silly amount of liabilities taken on in the construction of Prudential Center has the team's general finances looking worse than they are on a year-to-year "not profitable" level/.

h1.JPG

Keep dreaming.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yep, we're leaving Jersey because of a silly amount of liabilities taken on in the construction of Prudential Center has the team's general finances looking worse than they are on a year-to-year "not profitable" level/.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ExnxeDqidUQ/T10DP6tEKyI/AAAAAAAADMI/gclNm3EmSB0/s1600/h1.JPG[img]

Keep dreaming.[/QUOTE]

How dare you crush yankeehater's jealousy fueled dreams of a Devils-less NHL?

Wouldn't they be going after Nash all of the sudden mean that Alfie is coming back and they want to take a chance at the cup next year? Apparently hes suppose to be making an announcement this week before the draft or the next 48 hours as some rumors have it. Maybe he already told management and they want to bring an impact player for a deep playoff run.

You're kidding right ? we need a lot more than Nash to be considered Cup contenders. Our blueline needs serious work for now and the future considering Cowen and Karlsson are the only ones that aren't old and declining.

We had little trouble scoring goals last year, we had a lot more trouble keeping them out.

How dare you crush yankeehater's jealousy fueled dreams of a Devils-less NHL?
It has nothing to do with jealousy, the Flyers haven't won the cup for a long time but at least they can sell out playoff games. Look at the jump the Thrashers got by moving, the league should look into moving teams with horrible fanbases like the yotes and Devils.

Cake Boss

Banned
You're kidding right ? we need a lot more than Nash to be considered Cup contenders. Our blueline needs serious work for now and the future considering Cowen and Karlsson are the only ones that aren't old and declining.

We had little trouble scoring goals last year, we had a lot more trouble keeping them out.

Have these playoffs taught you anything, you get in the dance, anything could happen.

Yeah our D needs some work but we took the Rangers to 7 games with that D and should have won the series if it wasn't for the fuckups we had by the younger players. And no we don't need a lot more if we get Nash. The top 6 is already set IF we get him

Nash-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfie

That's pretty good.

We need 2 top 4 dman to round out the defense. If that trade for Hammer goes down and pick up a player like Bryan Allen thats pretty good.

Hammer-Karlsson
Cowen-Allen
Philips-Gonchar

I am acting like a leaf fan here, excuse me NHL gaf.

Marvie_3

Banned
It has nothing to do with jealousy, the Flyers haven't won the cup for a long time but at least they can sell out playoff games. Look at the jump the Thrashers got by moving, the league should look into moving teams with horrible fanbases like the yotes and Devils.
The Red Wings failed to sell out some playoff games several times in the last few years. Should we find them a new city too?

Plinko

The Red Wings failed to sell out some playoff games several times in the last few years. Should we find them a new city too?

They already tried but it costs too much to move all the banners.

Are they also losing millions? Maybe at some point the league should look into all teams that are having problems but clearly the yotes and Devils are the 2 biggest problems. I love hockey and I want the teams to be in the best markets they can be. Also even if the devils moved they would still be in the nhl and could continue to beat the Flyers so my wanting them to move wouldn't help the Flyers at all.

Have these playoffs taught you anything, you get in the dance, anything could happen.

Yeah our D needs some work but we took the Rangers to 7 games with that D and should have won the series if it wasn't for the fuckups we had by the younger players. And no we don't need a lot more if we get Nash. The top 6 is already set IF we get him

LOL the Rangers offense made our D look good, Philly or Pittsburgh would have lit us up like an X-mas tree. Nash would definitely solidify our top 6 and assuming Silfverberg is as good as advertised that'd be fine. Goal scoring isn't our problem.

But our defence is bad now and for the future. That's not a blueline you win a Cup or go on a deep playoff run with. Chicago isn't trading Hammer, that was a stupid Hockeybuzz rumor.

Marvie_3

Banned
Are they also losing millions? Maybe at some point the league should look into all teams that are having problems but clearly the yotes and Devils are the 2 biggest problems. I love hockey and I want the teams to be in the best markets they can be. Also even if the devils moved they would still be in the nhl and could continue to beat the Flyers so my wanting them to move wouldn't help the Flyers at all.
As I said before, a lot of teams are lose money. This isn't a rare thing in the NHL. If the NHL wanted to look into every team with money problems, they'd be looking at at least 10 teams, if not more. The Devils are in a much bigger and better market than most of those teams as well.

Hypothetically speaking, where do they move?

LOL the Rangers offense made our D look good, Philly or Pittsburgh would have lit us up like an X-mas tree. Nash would definitely solidify our top 6 and assuming Silfverberg is as good as advertised that'd be fine. Goal scoring isn't our problem.

But our defence is bad now and for the future. That's not a blueline you win a Cup or go on a deep playoff run with. Chicago isn't trading Hammer, that was a stupid Hockeybuzz rumor.
If they decide to make a run at Suter they will. Hjalmarsson is overpaid for what he brings. He has trade value so it wouldn't surprise me if they did move him.

If they decide to make a run at Suter they will. Hjalmarsson is overpaid for what he brings. He has trade value so it wouldn't surprise me if they did move him.

Isn't Keith and Seabrook your top defence pairing ? Why would you pay Suter a load of money when he plays the same side as Keith ?

Maybe I am missing something.

There are a few options to move teams but didn't someone recently post an article about an area near toronto that is building a stadium? It seemed like that is an area that could support a team especially if the team was winning. Also isn't Seattle supposed to be trying to get a sports team back, maybe they would be ready for a team in a few years.

Cake Boss

Banned
Isn't Keith and Seabrook your top defence pairing ? Why would you pay Suter a load of money when he plays the same side as Keith ?

Because that pairing is playing more than 25 minutes a night and not much depth after that pairing.

Suter-Seabrook
Keith- ???

is better than having

Keith-Seabrook
Hammer- ????

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Jaromir Jagr enjoyed Phildadelphia, but plans on testing free agency. Also plans to change training to shed some lbs and get faster.

LOL why?

Marvie_3

Banned

Because our defensive depth is shit?

There are a few options to move teams but didn't someone recently post an article about an area near toronto that is building a stadium? It seemed like that is an area that could support a team especially if the team was winning. Also isn't Seattle supposed to be trying to get a sports team back, maybe they would be ready for a team in a few years.
Maple Leafs will block a 2nd team in Toronto.

Seattle doesn't even have an arena approved and there is NO guarantee it'd be a better market for the NHL than NJ. They also wouldn't get nearly as much in local tv money as they would in NJ.

Maple Leafs will block a 2nd team in Toronto.

I thought the whole Balsille fiasco in Phoenix showed they don't have the right to block it. They can protest it but they can't outright stop it (or am I not remembering it right).

Because that pairing is playing more than 25 minutes a night and not much depth after that pairing.

Still if he's not good enough for 2nd pairing in Chicago, I don't see why we'd play him top minutes with EK.

Marvie_3

Banned
FUCKBALLS!

Good deal for the Blues.

I'd much rather have Jackman at that price than Oduya @ 3.whateverthefuckwe'repayinghim.

I thought the whole Balsille fiasco in Phoenix showed they don't have the right to block it. They can protest it but they can't outright stop it (or am I not remembering it right).
The Balsillie thing was him trying to buy a team and relocate it without approval from the NHL.

Teams can stop relocations if they fall within their "territory"(50 mile radius). There would be a team in Milwaukee right now if Bill Wirtz hadn't stopped it in the 90's.(Milwaukee's 50 mile radius fell partially within Chicago's 50 mile radius).

Still if he's not good enough for 2nd pairing in Chicago, I don't see why we'd play him top minutes with EK.

Hjalmarsson is on our second pairing.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I thought the whole Balsille fiasco in Phoenix showed they don't have the right to block it. They can protest it but they can't outright stop it (or am I not remembering it right)

Nah they couldn't block a team in Hamilton - for Toronto... They definitely will and can

As I said before, a lot of teams are lose money. This isn't a rare thing in the NHL. If the NHL wanted to look into every team with money problems, they'd be looking at at least 10 teams, if not more. The Devils are in a much bigger and better market than most of those teams as well.

Hypothetically speaking, where do they move?

Devils aren't moving. End of story. I'd LOVE to see Brodeur retire, Lou quit, and Parise move though.

Flyers could be interested in Hjalmrsson I'd think though since it seems pretty clear Suter doesn't want to win a cup by coming to Philly.

I just want to say these big name FAs targeting Detroit doesn't make sense to me. They're pretty clearly a franchise in decline without the requisite young base to make a serious run in the next few years. I'd want to see the Wings get a few solid draft classes under their belt before I signed there long term if I was Parise or Suter.

Solo

Only if we could get him for the same amount Philly paid. Otherwise, a hearty "fuck that" to geting into a JJ bidding war.

Plinko

I would think all the homeless people in Detroit could be hired for a fairly low cost.

Nah, the homeless make enough money charging people for parking in the vacant lots around Comerica and Ford Field.

I'll never forget my first trip to Ford Field. Parking in vacant lots and some people being suckered into giving homeless people money to "protect" the lot. When we came back, the homeless guys were sharing a gigantic cube pack of Coors Light.

Top Bottom