• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

WE HAVE A GOALIE

It's a gamble, but I like it. Yzerman really needs to go all-in on signing defensemen though.

i

Destinations for Luongo down to Toronto and Toronto.

Lindback has been Pekka Rinne's backup, and has played 38 games over the past two seasons and owns a .914 career save percentage. Garon had Tampa Bay's top save percentage last season of .901.

Ha.

I guess the Preds needed some draft picks after trading them at the deadline. I wonder if Caron will be Rinne's backup.

Solo

Clement Jodoin is Therrien's other assistant. So his assistants are Jodoin (Hamilton HC) and Gallant (Sea Dogs HC).

You would almost want Columbus to do that. They'd have to pay in excess of $6M per/yr and if Ottawa declined to match, they'd get something like four 1st round picks from Columbus in compensation.

You could draft in the 1st round for the next 10+ years and not get another player like Karlsson.

Not matching would be the stupidest thing a GM could do.

Cake Boss

Banned
No apparently the Isles are going to do it if he reaches July 1st, a bunch of pressure on them to win now.

I think it gets done next week or so after the NHL awards, apparently they have already agreed to term (rumored 3 years) just need to figure out the figure. 6.5M for 3 years is gud.

I don't know, 4 straight lottery picks is a pretty damn good compensation.

First of all, who says they would be lottery picks ?

Second of all only 1 other D-man in the last 10 years has put up such numbers at age 21 and I think only 4 others in the last 20 years. What are the chances you will find someone like that ? I'd say next to zero. Players like that are truly irreplaceable.

First of all, who says they would be lottery picks ?

Second of all only 1 other D-man in the last 10 years has put up such numbers at age 21 and I think only 4 others in the last 20 years. What are the chances you will find someone like that ? I'd say next to zero. Players like that are truly irreplaceable.
Its Columbus, I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed bottom-dwellers for the next 4 years. Unlike Edmonton and the Islanders, they don't have a cupboard full of top prospects to give them any hope of a decent future.

Are you referring to Mike Green? Because look at where he is right now, he's definitely not worth 4 first round picks, let alone 4 potential lottery picks. Not saying Karlsson will head in that direction, but offensive defensemen are pretty volatile.

Cake Boss

Banned
"We've certainly listened to people," Howson told Sportsnet 960 The Fan on Thursday. "We've had a couple of expressions of interest on the pick in terms of moving down. We wouldn't want to move too far down so we'll just see how it plays out next week. Traditionally, and if history repeats itself, teams get a little more serious about exchanging picks as we get closer to the draft on the draft floor."

Shit is piling on.

They need a goalie right. Bishop + 15th overall for that 2nd.
Let Edmonton draft their crappy dman Murray
Draft Yakupov
????
success.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Shit is picking up.

Yep. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I have a feeling Datsyuk wants this to happen.

Now we can have TWO disappearing, streaky forwards in Franzen and Semin!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I read that too except that same blog said Chelios was pushing for Suter to play in Chicago and was talking to his dad.... That is highly unlikely as Chelios works for the Wings and wold push for him to g to Detroit, not Chicago.

LOL. Chelios with the heel move. He'll show up at the signing with a Hawks shirt on and burn his Detroit contract publicly.

Are you referring to Mike Green? Because look at where he is right now, he's definitely not worth 4 first round picks, let alone 4 potential lottery picks. Not saying Karlsson will head in that direction, but offensive defensemen are pretty volatile.

Karlsson is nothing like Green besides the points they put up.

Even so, there is no way he (nor any other player for that matter) would ever accept an offer from Columbus.

Shit is piling on.

They need a goalie right. Bishop + 15th overall for that 2nd.
Let Edmonton draft their crappy dman Murray
Draft Yakupov
????
success.

Would take a lot more than that for #2 overall.

You don't know Scott Howsen.

Not really but I do know he's asking for a king's ransom for Nash, not to mention Bishop is unproven in the NHL, he is not worth much. We gave up a 2nd round pick for Bishop so #15 overall and a 2nd rounder for #2 overall ? Nope.

Cory Schneider is probably the only young goalie who could possibly make such a deal work.

Revenant

LOL. Chelios with the heel move. He'll show up at the signing with a Hawks shirt on and burn his Detroit contract publicly.

Chelios will bring Suter to Detroit and right as the contract is about to be signed he'll knock out Holland and Suter with a steel chair...then switch the contracts and forge suters name... glorious

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I guess the Preds needed some draft picks after trading them at the deadline. I wonder if Caron will be Rinne's backup.
doubt it, im sure theyll make everyone compete for it in training camp but id wager on Jeremy Smith with all the dues he's paid for them in the AHL. preds got a prospect log jam in net with hellberg coming over for next year, so this is a good move for them.

happy for lindback, he deserves to get a shot at being a #1 somewhere

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That was my bad on Solo's point but he had it incorrect. Edmonton wants Gardnier or Subban PLUS Montreal and torontos 3rd and 5th pick. That's what I was saying "are you fucking nuts" to if it was subban for Yakupov straight up I would do it, but Edmonton never said that and would never do that. I misread Solos post and thought he meant he would package subban and the 3rd pick for Yakupov.

Solo

Oh, no I didn't know/mean that. I would so Subban +, but the "+" would under no circumstances be the 3rd pick.

I was dreaming of have 1st and 3rd picks and drafting the Sarnia Sting connection :lol

Red_Man

Oh yea I would do that in a heartbeat but no way in hell Edmonton does that trade. It would be so sick to have them both on one line.

Solo

I know the reports are that the asking price is too steep, but my guy feeling is still that Edmonton trades that pick.

I know the reports are that the asking price is too steep, but my guy feeling is still that Edmonton trades that pick.

Why would they trade the pick ? Yakupov is by far the best player available, you don't pass on a player like that.

If someone makes a huge offer, than sure.

Cake Boss

Banned
Not taking the best player available and looking to address a need gets you a Brian Lee instead of an Anze Kopitar.

That Murray kid has bust status written all over him, looks mentally fragile, basically lost Canada that medal, his fuckups still haunt my dreams.

Solo

Why would they trade the pick ? Yakupov is by far the best player available, you don't pass on a player like that.

If someone makes a huge offer, than sure.

If they are truly serious about addressing their needs and getting better overall rather than stockpiling stud forwards, I would think they could fleece a team handsomely for an established top d-pairing player. Don't know what team or what player or what the package would be, but I believe its out there.

If they are truly serious about addressing their needs and getting better overall rather than stockpiling stud forwards, I would think they could fleece a team handsomely for an established top d-pairing player. Don't know what team or what player or what the package would be, but I believe its out there.

Most teams (in the 1st round at least) pick the best player available regardless of what they need.

Nothing wrong with stockpiling forwards, they can always trade for a D-man. Which is what they should do considering any D-man they might draft in the 1st round (except maybe Murray) is years away from making an impact in the NHL. They're better off trading for a D-man who can play in the NHL right now.

I'm sure they are trying to trade their pick for a D-man, they wanted Karlsson to swap for their #1 pick last year so I am sure they are doing the same type of request this year.

Solo

Friend who works at a hotel just saw Kovalev, prepare for his comeback Habs fans.

He's made it known he wants to come back and has been doing the Montreal media circuit.

I'd give him a shot on a 1 year, $1.5M deal. Jagr got $3M, so half of that for a player who was half of what Jagr was is fair.

Solo

Anyways, if Edmonton DOES keep the pick, of course they are drafting Yakupov. He already looks a lot more NHL ready from a pure physical/size level than RNH does after one year in the league.

My only worry is that Columbus takes Galchenyuk at #2.

He's made it known he wants to come back and has been doing the Montreal media circuit.

I'd give him a shot on a 1 year, $1.5M deal. Jagr got $3M, so half of that for a player who was half of what Jagr was is fair.

Didn't his KHL contract get bought out/terminated ?

If he's not good enough for the KHL, can't see how he's good enough for the NHL.

He was turning down one year offers last time and took a 2-year deal in the KHL.

Solo

Didn't his KHL contract get bought out/terminated ?

Well, of course my post comes with the caveat that he has to still be good enough to make the team and add something to it. But if he could get back to the form he had even in his last season in Montreal, he would be a nice third line winger.

Socreges

Banned
You could draft in the 1st round for the next 10+ years and not get another player like Karlsson.
Depends on how high your pick is. Maybe wouldn't get you one Karlsson, but it could get you one lottery pick (1st overall), one Couturier, one Johansen, and one Leddy. (most recent four CBJ draft picks)

Like I said, "almost want". It would be a risk and probably not one I'd take, but four first round picks from Columbus would be a pretty awesome compensation.

Socreges

Banned
And yeah, Edmonton should just take Yakupov if they're not getting what they want for the pick itself. Then they've got plenty of time to trade one of their young superstars (Yakupov included) for a top pairing dman. They can afford to be picky.

Red_Man

I would not be surprised at all if Edmonton took Murray. This draft is that unpredictable and if they do take Yakupov I see Columbus taking Forsberg or Murray. Galchenyuk still has the highest risk of any of the top 10 picks.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I would not be surprised at all if Edmonton took Murray. This draft is that unpredictable and if they do take Yakupov I see Columbus taking Forsberg or Murray. Galchenyuk still has the highest risk of any of the top 10 picks.

Isn't Gal completely healthy and also coming off a nice Combine showing?

Red_Man

Yea but he only played like 6 games this year, his projections are basically based on his junior year from last year.

Marvie_3

Banned
Needs to be cleaned up animationwise but it looks a lot better.

You never drove your head into your teammates crotch after scoring a goal?
I don't dive my head in there but I do try to tickle their balls.

Yep exactly what I figured, defending is going to be shittier than ever since they made forwards skating basically superhuman.
Uh......forwards are superhuman in NHL 12. You can't hit them and they can hang on to the puck even when 4 defenders are checking and stick checking them. It's impossible to play effective defense.

In 13, at least hits register and you can knock the puck away pretty easily. The first step acceleration is overpowered from the looks of it though.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Chicago fans, did Haviland deserve to get fired? I want to know what kind of coach he is. I'm asking since there are rumors that he is one of the leading candidates to be the Capitals head coach.

Revenant

Chicago fans, did Haviland deserve to get fired? I want to know what kind of coach he is. I'm asking since there are rumors that he is one of the leading candidates to be the Capitals head coach.

No. Players liked him here, well respected by players and around the game itself. Chances were he'd be gone for an HC job eventually.. just wish it would have been less messy. Interested to see how he does.

Top Bottom