• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
No hes not. One plays behind a deep Stanley Cup contender and president trophy winner and one plays behind a mediocre fringe playoff team with almost the same stats.

Edit: woops always get Helm and Hudler mixed up, isnt he a UFA as well?

Uuuh... Yes he is. Even without all the "but he's playing behind a better defense!" he's still a lot better than Pavelec. He hasn't had a season under .913 or over 2.97 GAA in 12 years (which includes his years in Florida, which is definitely on Winnipeg's level) . So yeah, he definitey IS better than Pavelec.

Trade won't happen though.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah, you can take Hudler if you want, sure he put up a decent amount of points but he is still too small and easily pushed off the puck and is prone to a large number of mistakes and he is going to want more than what we are willing to pay him (that is going by what most are reporting considering Holland offered him a contract and he turned it down).

What type of money is he looking for? Wouldnt mind him on Spezza's LW as that spot is pretty open now than giving up the future for Nash.

Cactus

Banned
No hes not. One plays behind a deep Stanley Cup contender and president trophy winner and one plays behind a mediocre fringe playoff team with almost the same stats.

Almost the same stats??

Luongo last year: .919 - 2.41
Luongo career: .919 - 2.52
Pavelec last year: .906 - 2.91
Pavelec career: .907 - 2.99

That's a pretty significant difference. Luongo, IMO, is a way better goalie, but it wouldn't make much sense for Winnipeg to target him and his behemoth contract. They might as well pay Pavelec and save the assets if they can or try and sign a guy like Harding if Pavelec decides to bolt.

What type of money is he looking for? Wouldnt mind him on Spezza's LW as that spot is pretty open now than giving up the future for Nash.

Well we probably didn't offer him more than Franzen who is on a 100 year or so 3.9 million dollar contract. However he could probably get on the open market with everyone being overpayed around 5+ which is not what he is worth at all which he knows and is a money grabber type of person unfortunately (that is fine but he isn't worth what I know he could make on the open market).

Swance

Neo Member
‏
@mnwild BREAKING: Done deal! ‪#mnwild‬ has locked up G Josh Harding to a multi-year contract.

One less goalie on the market.

Edit: Apparently it's a three-year, $5.7 million deal. ($1.9)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Huh. The Wild just locked up Harding with a multi-year deal. What does this mean for Backstrom, and the goalie market? Vokoun, Thomas, Lindback, Harding are all off the market now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Plinko will be here any minute to sing hudler's praises.

25 goals at under 3 million. List the players in the league who did that last year.

He was easily one of the three best players (I'd say top two) on the team in the playoffs. Never stopped skating hard while overpaid players like Franzen coasted.

Yeah, he blows.

That said, I wouldn't bring him back for more than $3.5 million.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pacioretty put up 33 @ $1.5M

:)

blah blah blah ELC blah blah blah

I know there are more. There just aren't many.

Hudler is free to walk as far as I'm concerned. With Helm's low contract I'm hyped at the Wings chances of landing some top FAs.

He was easily one of the three best players (I'd say top two) on the team in the playoffs.
Never stopped skating hard

VOo9Q.png

I don't think Nash is moved this week because Howson is an idiot. Obviously nobody has given into his demands yet or it would be done already. I doubt a few days are going to make a difference.

Apparently though, Nash and his agent are starting to get angry. Howson has been trying to negotiate through the media, so I'd imagine that their next move is going to be them making statement of some sort, either naming the team(s) he wants to go to or just outright saying himself he has no desire to play for the BJs anymore, or both.

Howson was the Assistant GM to Kevin Lowe when he pretty much gave away Pronger to Anaheim. Pronger should have got a great return especially after leading the Oilers to the Final. The Oilers haven't made the Playoffs since.

I think Howson should ask for alot, and I actually like that he's sticking to his guns. If Nash does not want to play there it doesn't mean the Jackets should cripple themselves even worse to give in to his demands.

Ask for alot, and if no one wants him bad enough let him sit at home with his overpaid contract.

Huh. The Wild just locked up Harding with a multi-year deal. What does this mean for Backstrom, and the goalie market? Vokoun, Thomas, Lindback, Harding are all off the market now.

Backstrom is 34, entering a contract year at $6M, and he had some injury problems last year. Harding is 28 and Matt Hackett is 22. The Wild will likely lean on those two in the future.

fallout

I only got to see the Jets a few times but my impression is that he makes a lot of big saves and his D totally hangs him out to dry.
This is an accurate assessment. Wasn't just the D, either. Pavelec even had some bad nights, but there are a lot of games where he was making big saves to win games. I don't know how one quantifies that, but to me it speaks to a goalie who'll be continuing to improve over the years. Is he worth 4M? That's debatable to me; it's probably more of a "He'll likely be worth 4 M".

Marvie_3

Banned
Birnbaum: Goldwater can only speculate that #Coyotes and arena operations may be separated.
:lol Except that Jamison himself said that some of the arena management fee would be going to Coyotes operations.....

Birnbaum: We could lose #Coyotes if the vote is invalidated. Elliot Pollack has said #Glendale would lose $177M if team leaves.
So.....lose $177M(completely based on a garbage study) or throw $400M+ down the toilet......

Birnbaum: "The emergency clause never took effect." Wrote a letter to Goldwater saying the same. #Coyotes
Judge Fink: It strikes me as odd that #Glendale residents who look up ordinance will see that it passed as emergency measure when it didn't.
Birnbaum acknowledges it's on the books as an emergency measure. #Coyotes
:lol :lol :lol

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
:lol Except that Jamison himself said that some of the arena management fee would be going to Coyotes operations.....

So.....lose $177M(completely based on a garbage study) or throw $400M+ down the toilet......

:lol :lol :lol

:lol what a timeline.

Marvie_3

Banned
Birnbaum reads from #Glendale code on bid requirements. Says this professional service should be excluded from requirements.

Judge Fink: I didn't hear property managers listed as exceptions. Asks Birnbaum for his definition of professional service. #Coyotes
Birnbaum: Economists aren't included in list of exceptions; clearly that requires for specific skills. Operation of #Coyotes venue applies.
Birnbaum: "With respect judge, you and I could not run this arena." #Coyotes
Judge Fink: What about a window washer? Doesn't he have specific skills?
Birnbaum: It might be a professional service of we're talking about 100-story building. Only certain companies would do that. #Coyotes
Birnbaum: To suggest professional services aren't required at #Coyotes arena is tough.
Judge Fink: Couldn't you put the word professional in front of any job title? #Coyotes
LOL

Birnbaum: Jamison group isn't interested in acquiring #Coyotes absent the ability to run the arena.
AKA without subsidies

calder

I think 4 mill for Pavelec is perfectly fine. But not much more, he's a good mid-tier goalie but I don't know any Jets fans who think he is or will be a top 10 guy at his position. He has the good goalie habit of making spectacular saves with some regularity which helps obscure his many mediocre outings. His D didn't do him any favours, but he didn't exactly steal a bunch of games either, I think Mason would be a serviceable replacement actually (I'm more of a minority opinion on that around here though) for a mediocre young, building team. It's not like the Jets are a piece away from making noise in the playoffs or anything.

I'd be actually A-OK with Kane being traded. Good player, but he'd be great on a better team with a quality first line centre. If the Jets could get something good for him that'd be fine. Naturally, Luongo is the opposite of a good return for anything.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Here's what I want to see:

- Pavelec heads to KHL
- Vancouver trades Luongo + Mason Raymond + A Prospect (like Anton Rodin) for Evander Kane + Draft Pick

Seems like it solves both teams problems.

VdaXZ.gif

You and kinghenrik should have dinner together

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So we won?

Not yet.

Gold water will go back to argue the contempt via another judge

AFEC or some other organization will be scrambling to get a referendum

Basically means... Coyotes are likely toast as I doubt people will want to vote yes to more taxes for a sports team

Marvie_3

Banned
Not yet.

Gold water will go back to argue the contempt via another judge

AFEC or some other organization will be scrambling to get a referendum

Basically means... Coyotes are likely toast as I doubt people will want to vote yes to more taxes for a sports team

Goldwater's people had already been in to the Glendale city offices picking up referendum forms before the court hearing today. :lol

There's ZERO chance that deal would hold up in a referendum too. Next few days might get interesting.

Top Bottom