• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Revenant

Ahh awesome. Wasn't sure if we were all just running with that or if there was validity since I hardly follow this yotes crap. So Sick sick of bettmans little sideshow and just want to see it end

dem

I've been to Winnipeg a few times this year and I've never heard a good thing about Kane.

Wouldn't be surprised if he did want out.

Hmmm... maybe this will cause Doan to rethink signing with the Yotes, would love to have him on Detroit. He is an older player but has a lot of grit, work ethic, and can put up some points. Yeah I hate when we play against him but wouldn't mind seeing him in the good old Winged Wheel.

Revenant

I've been to Winnipeg a few times this year and I've never heard a good thing about Kane.

Wouldn't be surprised if he did want out.

What exactly do people even say, i mean the kid seems like a respectable person. What makes him such an outcast. If they don't want him hopefully bowman can have a beer with chevyldayoff and make a deal.

What exactly do people even say, i mean the kid seems like a respectable person. What makes him such an outcast. If they don't want him hopefully bowman can have a beer with chevyldayoff and make a deal.
I'd support this only if the Hawks produce a weekly cop drama featuring Patrick Kane as the aloof party boy detective and Evander Kane as his black straight arrow partner. Toews can be the police captain who gives them disappointed glares every time they fuck a case up.

Revenant

I'd support this only if the Hawks produce a weekly cop drama featuring Patrick Kane as the aloof party boy detective and Evander Kane as his black straight arrow partner. Toews can be the police captain who gives them disappointed glares every time they fuck a case up.

"Dammit double K! The mayors up my ass about that stunt you pulled. You do something reckless like that again and I'll have your badges!"

Would watch

Marvie_3

Banned

This may very well be the best idea ever.

Socreges

Banned

"Dammit double K! The mayors up my ass about that stunt you pulled. You do something reckless like that again and I'll have your badges!"

0.jpg

"But, Sarge. I had nothing to do with it. Pat got-"

0.jpg

"That's enough, Evander. We know your deal..... we know you're black."

patrick-kane.jpg

"Good talk, Sarge. Won't happen again."

Revenant

That pic of Kane... lol

We could send them down to glendale.

Kane can say " looks like this thing" *takes off glasses* " got coyote ugly"

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEA!

calder

Eh, he didn't make a very good first impression. A lot of it is the usual young-guy-with-money problems athletes have in smaller markets where everyone knows who they are. I cut him a fair bit of slack - he seems to be basically Keith Tkachuk 2.0 in terms of fan reaction here, and it wasn't always fair to Keith as well - but make no mistake he's kind of a douche and, worse, is kinda open with his douchiness. I think he'd be fine in market where he can act like a bit of a jerk at a bar and not have every single person there texting their friends about it. God I just tried to imagine what it would have been like in the mid 90s if there had been camera phones everywhere when Tkachuk was trying to drink the town dry 5 nights a week in between contract holdouts lol.

Another problem is his on the ice performance is spotty at best. If he scores early he's engaged and looks dominant, and then he disappears for weeks. Young guys blah blah but it's tough for a first liner with his talent to vanish like he does and not get heat for it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How long does it take to get a referendum going? There's no possible way that gets to the voters before the season starts, right?

Revenant

Eh, he didn't make a very good first impression. A lot of it is the usual young-guy-with-money problems athletes have in smaller markets where everyone knows who they are. I cut him a fair bit of slack - he seems to be basically Keith Tkachuk 2.0 in terms of fan reaction here, and it wasn't always fair to Keith as well - but make no mistake he's kind of a douche and, worse, is kinda open with his douchiness. I think he'd be fine in market where he can act like a bit of a jerk at a bar and not have every single person there texting their friends about it. God I just tried to imagine what it would have been like in the mid 90s if there had been camera phones everyone when Tkachuk was trying to drink the town dry 5 nights a week in between contract holdouts lol.

Another problem is his on the ice performance is spotty at best. If he scores early he's engaged and looks dominant, and then he disappears for weeks. Young guys blah blah but it's tough for a first liner with his talent to vanish like he does and not get heat for it.

Well he would be a perfect fit with Kane already here!

Good write up though, interesting to see what happens.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
How long does it take to get a referendum going? There's no possible way that gets to the voters before the season starts, right?

Nope. November.

They need to get just under 2000 signatures in 2 weeks

If they miss July 5th deadline then it's November 2013

Thing is... There is still plenty of hope the judge will rule against Glendale in a couple days

Merguson

Banned
According to Bob McKenzie, Erik Karlsson's contract is probably going to be close to Doughty's contract but less money per year for sure.

Oh and Bobby Ryan is available again lol.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
According to Bob McKenzie, Erik Karlsson's contract is probably going to be close to Doughty's contract but less money per year for sure.

I'm already touching myself while looking at bobby Ryan's wiki

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nope. November.

Thing is... There is still plenty of hope the judge will rule against Glendale in a couple days

I'm hoping the NHL just says "screw it" and moves them now, but I have a feeling they still stick with it.

Cake Boss

Banned

562.jpg

Would rather give up the farm for a guy like Ryan than Nash. Better cap hit and younger.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nope. November.

2000 signatures will be easy to get and I don't see the judge ruling against Glendale on the rest.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm hoping the NHL just says "screw it" and moves them now, but I have a feeling they still stick with it.
I have to imagine that several of the owners are getting pissed that this isn't resolved yet. With all the legal crap going on now it only looks worse and worse. The Goldwater interference sets up a perfect scapegoat for the NHL to abandon Glendale.

Marvie if you're still here please post that GIF with the guy and the glowing crotch as I'm on my phone.
ibsxdQkKo5gtlt.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
With the goaltending market shrinking and now that Ryan is available who is younger and cheaper. Howsen doesnt hold all of the chips anymore.

Heretic

Bobby is for sure on the chopping block... but so is Perry and Getzlaf. Old Man Murray has said time and time again that if there is an interesting offer, he's willing to listen.

Cactus

Banned
Burke may not have a choice. Unless he wants to sign Dwyane Roloson, he's running out of options for veteran goaltending.

There are still options out there. Luongo is the most noteworthy because he can offer above average goaltending at a low (trade) price. If Gillis is adamant that he won't treat Luongo as a salary dump, Burke can always go after a guy like Backstrom or possibly Bernier or Lehtonen and let Gillis deal with Schneider going to arbitration and signing a one year contract that takes him right to UFA status.

There are still options out there. Luongo is the most noteworthy because he can offer above average goaltending at a low (trade) price. If Gillis is adamant that he won't treat Luongo as a salary dump, Burke can always go after a guy like Backstrom or possibly Bernier or Lehtonen and let Gillis deal with Schneider going to arbitration and signing a one year contract that takes him right to UFA status.

The Wild said they're not shopping Backstrom. Bernier is unproven. I think the Stars will try to extend Lehtonen: he's only 28.

If the Canucks sign Schneider to a one-year deal they might have trouble next year. Burrows and Edler are entering contract years and will get raises.

Socreges

Banned
So catty.

Also, false dichotomy.

Cactus

Banned
The Wild said they're not shopping Backstrom. Bernier is unproven. I think the Stars will try to extend Lehtonen: he's only 28.

If the Canucks sign Schneider to a one-year deal they might have trouble next year. Burrows and Edler are entering contract years and will get raises.

Gillis is really in a tough spot with his goaltending situation, IMO.

If he doesn't trade Luongo, Schneider will either get a huge offer-sheet or he'll go to arbitration and accept a one year deal at the awarded salary. This is the last year he's eligible for RFA status, so that one year deal will allow him to enter into unrestricted free agency next summer and sign with a team who promises him a starting job. Plus, a larger portion of the team's 2012/2013 cap will be taken by goaltending, which would obviously be detrimental.

This is why I think Gillis has to trade Luongo as soon as possible, He can say whatever he wants to the public to try and squeeze a bit more value from the GM he's negotiating with, but he can't let this issue linger on for too long, and I'm sure Burke/Tallon/etc. are fully aware of this.

Also, false dichotomy.

My apologies.
Maybe, but do you really think (a) Schneider will sign a multi-year deal without being guaranteed a starting position or (b) Gillis wants to risk Schneider taking over the starting job at some point next season and killing Luongo's trade value? Seems unlikely.

Top Bottom