• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

based on karlsson, 10 years, 80+ for suter?

Isn't that +2m a year with 4 extra years? And Karlsson is younger? Seems like Suter's value may have actually gone DOWN with the Karlsson contract.... I'd say 10 years 70-ish but only because he's a more physical player. D-men like Karlsson are even more rare than guys like Suter.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
down? as the #1 dman on an open market? you crazy. preds are already offering him 7 to 7.5, if its under 8 i'd be shocked

Suter is not worth the 5th highest cap hit in the league for 10 years. He's not a franchise. He's a number 1 defenseman and that is truly rare but that kinda money is for the guys who have a shot at the hart.

sefskillz

Suter is not worth the 5th highest cap hit in the league for 10 years. He's not a franchise. He's a number 1 defenseman and that is truly rare but that kinda money is for the guys who have a shot at the hart.

flyers-gaf is out! its up to wings-gaf and wild-gaf now

flyers-gaf is out! its up to wings-gaf and wild-gaf now

Seriously, someone explain the appeal of the Wings as an organization right now. If I'm a free agent why the hell am I going to Detroit? Every year the analysts end up having the EXACT SAME conversation, "Hey we had Detroit pegged as one of the best teams in the league, but we forgot their old guys got older and they didn't add any good young talent. Woops."

Seriously, someone explain the appeal of the Wings as an organization right now. If I'm a free agent why the hell am I going to Detroit? Every year the analysts end up having the EXACT SAME conversation, "Hey we had Detroit pegged as one of the best teams in the league, but we forgot their old guys got older and they didn't add any good young talent. Woops."

Don't they have the opportunity to do that this year?

And they have fucking Pavel Datsyuk.

Sure they can sign a big name free agent and burden themselves cap-wise, but they haven't really shown an ability to effectively bring in young talent on the cheap to build around. I'm just saying Detroit doesn't have the feel of "I come in here and this is a championship team."

I think the Flyers, Rangers, Nucks, Chicago, Pens, possibly Caps, maybe even SJ all have that potential to be a team like that, but going into Detroit and bringing a major cap hit along with you just seems like putting a fat guy on a sinking ship. You realize you're constraining them cap wise, and they show no signs of organizational development that suggest an upwards trend.

Sure they can sign a big name free agent and burden themselves cap-wise, but they haven't really shown an ability to effectively bring in young talent on the cheap to build around. I'm just saying Detroit doesn't have the feel of "I come in here and this is a championship team."

I think the Flyers, Rangers, Nucks, Chicago, Pens, possibly Caps, maybe even SJ all have that potential to be a team like that, but going into Detroit and bringing a major cap hit along with you just seems like putting a fat guy on a sinking ship. You realize you're constraining them cap wise, and they show no signs of organizational development that suggest an upwards trend.

They got plenty of money capwise so I think they'll be fine there. Parise/Suter are probably getting cheater contracts anyway.

Detroits one of the most successful organizations in the league. Like it or not, they are always in contention. They have great drafting, they are always finding Gems.

And at the end of the day, it's the Original 6 and the Winged Wheel and HockeyTown.

It's the same reason people sign with the Rangers, minus the tremendous success.

Socreges

Banned
If bruce were Suter and KingHenrik were his agent:

Suter: Not interested. They haven't added any good young talent.
Agent: Ryan... you're good young talent.
Suter: Yeah, but I'm not on their team.
Agent: Yes, but... if you signed with them... you would be.
Ryan: I don't follow.
Agent: ...alright, how about Edmonton?
Suter: You know I don't speak French.
Agent: Philly it is.

uhhhh...... Considering Detroit is one of the top teams players want to play for according to the last players poll, also their consistent post-season record and commitment to winning. The organization takes care of its players extremely well. This is a big thing for players as the management goes above and beyond on trying to keep players happy (ex: allowing Stuart to constantly fly out to see his family when he was away, keeping older players in management positions, etc...), they still have Z and Datsyuk as well as a good crop of support players like Helm, Flip, Kronwall, Franzen, etc... I mean seriously, who doesn't want to play with Datsyuk? Even Howe, Lindsay, and other vets will come into the locker room during games or practices and talk to the players and help them out, they may be old but they are wise men.

Also don't forget a great coaching staff and management staff as well. They are still one of the classier (that's right I used it) organizations out there even with Lidstrom gone. Chance to play on a competitive team who will play in the winter classic this year (see what I did there). Not to mention we are the best franchise over the last 20 years with a history of playing in front of great fans and once again a winning tradition.

Also our prospect pool is very deep in skilled forwards as well as defensemen with a lot of young talent coming up within the next 1 to 3 years or so. Face it, players like to play in Detroit despite how badly the city is made out to be and how badly people want to see us fail. Also can't be said enough:

And yes they have the money to spend on high quality players to add on to their roster to make the team even more competitive. Also the reason as to why they want to add a top 6 guy and a top d-man.

ShaneB

LOL, fantastic.

What I'm really talking about is young, homegrown talent. If a team doesn't have a young corps that it develops itself it really isn't a contender anymore. So while this is funny, the first part actually sort of IS what I'm talking about because by the time you come in as an FA you're bringing a big cap hit with you. Presumably a hit like that should be "putting a team over the hump," or at the very least bringing you to a place like Edmonton where you can grow with the team.

Also how are the Rangers not on his short list? You add Suter to that team they might actually not let in goals anymore...

my head is spinning at a flyers fan calling out the wings for not having homegrown talent!

I'm talking about up and comers. Guys who are obviously going to be outperforming their contracts for the team because they are still young. See, e.g., Claude Giroux, the entire 2010 Blackhawks. EDIT: Callahan, Seguin, the last three Edmonton picks...

EDIT2: Also, Detroit is STILL the fourth oldest team in the league with Lidstrom gone. Not really a great sign either....

Marvie_3

Banned
Also how are the Rangers not on his short list? You add Suter to that team they might actually not let in goals anymore...

I'm talking about up and comers. Guys who are obviously going to be outperforming their contracts for the team because they are still young. See, e.g., Claude Giroux, the entire 2010 Blackhawks. EDIT: Callahan, Seguin, the last three Edmonton picks...

Cristobal Huet sure played like a $7M goalie, amirite?

I'm talking about up and comers. Guys who are obviously going to be outperforming their contracts for the team because they are still young. See, e.g., Claude Giroux, the entire 2010 Blackhawks.

You do realize Detroit acts a lot differently with their prospects right? We let them over ripe if you will for most of our prospects and it seems to work out quite well, though there are those who do make it to the big team rather quickly. You know considering we also have had very few first round draft picks over the years yet have managed to have some great homegrown talent, so please check your facts next time you go to call a team out. Not too mention our prospect pool is rather deep at the moment with a lot of talented players. Jarnkrok, Smith, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkinnen, Mrazek, Sheahan, Andersson, Bachman, Tvrdon, Ouliet, Sproul, Marchenko, etc... (I know I butchered some of those names, forgive me).

You do realize Detroit acts a lot differently with their prospects right? We let them over ripe if you will for most of our prospects and it seems to work out quite well, though there are those who do make it to the big team rather quickly. You know considering we also have had very few first round draft picks over the years yet have managed to have some great homegrown talent, so please check your facts next time you go to call a team out. Not too mention our prospect pool is rather deep at the moment with a lot of talented players. Jarnkrok, Smith, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkinnen, Mrazek, Sheahan, Andersson, Bachman, Tvrdon, Ouliet, Sproul, Marchenko, etc... (I know I butchered some of those names, forgive me).

And perhaps those guys will pan out, maybe they won't. Honestly though, even with Suter, do you think Detroit is a championship caliber team next year? Personally I don't think so, and if I'm Suter I want to go to a team that is gonna jump straight to the top of the list if they add me. Particularly if that team is the fourth oldest in the league....

Why does it matter where the talent comes from? If I draft a bunch of guys and then trade them to other teams for even better guys that sounds like a win to me.

Why does it matter where the talent comes from? If I draft a bunch of guys and then trade them to other teams for even better guys that sounds like a win to me.

Because the cap. I've tried to explain this magical phenomenon to you in the context of last year's Flyers moves, but apparently it hasn't stuck.

Younger players come in for cheap. Teams can keep their cap hits lower through the RFA process.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Offtopic Question: When does GAF usually start their fantasy leagues/drafts? If there's not already a keeper league going on that's hard to enter... And also not the NHL 13 Online GM mode draft -muahahaha-

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
down? as the #1 dman on an open market? you crazy. preds are already offering him 7 to 7.5, if its under 8 i'd be shocked

Still sticking with a prediction of $8.2 million and 9-10 years with the Wings.

Parise probably gets 9 mil with Minnesota.

Offtopic Question: When does GAF usually start their fantasy leagues/drafts? If there's not already a keeper league going on that's hard to enter...

Last year was a bit of a mess. Probably gonna start organizing in late July this year. It'd be preferable if more than half the league was actually involved this year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And perhaps those guys will pan out, maybe they won't. Honestly though, even with Suter, do you think Detroit is a championship caliber team next year? Personally I don't think so, and if I'm Suter I want to go to a team that is gonna jump straight to the top of the list if they add me. Particularly if that team is the fourth oldest in the league....

I think you're still bitter about Darren McCarty's goal that helped Detroit sweep the Flyers.

Of course, did you think the Devils were Stanley Cup finals type team at the beginning of last year or even Phoenix who was supposed to be the worst team but made it to the WCF? Probably not, the NHL has this variety that you sometimes don't know which teams may make it and those who won't. For Detroit you still have Datsyuk and Z who are some of the best players in the league, a nice supporting cast and a good goalie, as well as some extremely talented rookies who will play on the big club next year (Nyquist and Smith who both played great on their call ups last year). The problem you have is that you are looking at one area instead of the full picture, there is more than competition that can factor into a players decision. With Suter the team will be competitive, but they can and will add other free agents who actually like Detroit's style of play. Great example was Parise commenting on how he loved how Detroit style of play was when they played us and how the team is fun to watch but not fun to play against because they are a challenging team. There are a great deal of factors that come into play here and all of those should be taken into consideration instead of just one as you seem to be focusing on.

I think you're still bitter about Darren McCarty's goal that helped Detroit sweep the Flyers.

Also this :p

1.) Yes 2.) Very much yes 3.) Not really what I'm talking about here.

I hate the Wings, and in past years I wouldn't have made this argument, but this year it just seems the Wings are a downward trending team, and I don't think Suter alone is the answer to that problem, particularly with Lidstrom leaving. Why do you want to go there with that variable hanging over a team that has already had trouble reaching the "elite" level in the last few years? If the Wings pull the ultimate coup and get Suter AND Parise I'll shutup and pretend like I never said any of this, but that just doesn't seem likely.

1.) Yes 2.) Very much yes 3.) Not really what I'm talking about here.

I hate the Wings, and in past years I wouldn't have made this argument, but this year it just seems the Wings are a downward trending team, and I don't think Suter alone is the answer to that problem, particularly with Lidstrom leaving. Why do you want to go there with that variable hanging over a team that has already had trouble reaching the "elite" level in the last few years? If the Wings pull the ultimate coup and get Suter AND Parise I'll shutup and pretend like I never said any of this, but that just doesn't seem likely.

More likely is getting Suter and Semin which could prove deadly considering Datsyuk and Semin had good chemistry at the worlds.

sefskillz

im actually more excited about the predators plan b if they cant re-sign suter than re-signing suter

Quick

Banned

ysk6u.png

Fei

Two NHL insiders had told me last year a Bobby Ryan/Jonas Hiller deal for Ryan Miller was all but done and then the Lucic incident happened.

Would. All day. And I like Ryan Miller. Not sure how that would have been possible last year though, considering the Sabres were on the edge of the cap.

A lot of money for Karlsson, but having to see him 6 times a year I can't argue. Just surprised because he was a RFA. If nobody had the balls to offer sheet Stamkos, I don't see much risk there.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dunno if it's been mentioned here already, but Huet has said he would like to comeback to the NHL as well. Problem solved Leaf fans!

Pretty happy about the Karlsson contract.

And holy fuck I hope Ottawa is out of the running for Nash. Giving up Mika would be a terrible move. Stay the course Murray, dont go full retard.

Offtopic Question: When does GAF usually start their fantasy leagues/drafts? If there's not already a keeper league going on that's hard to enter... And also not the NHL 13 Online GM mode draft -muahahaha-

I was only in on the roto league last year, but would love to get in on a keeper league if we get it set up.

Last year was a bit of a mess. Probably gonna start organizing in late July this year. It'd be preferable if more than half the league was actually involved this year.

Oh, that was an anomaly? Was my first year playing with you guys. Is there generally more than 1 H2H and 1 roto, or just a higher level of sustained activity throughout the year?

i had a dream last night that i was playing an NHL videogame that was a 16-bit turn-based RPG. you fought through the forwards, then defensemen, then goaltender to win the game. but then there were off-ice battles about ownership and lockout stuff. i got as far as fighting bettman riding a coyote and then i stopped playing.

not gonna lie, i would totally play that game.

Plinko

So I was reading this morning that

A) Legal experts say that the judge won't overturn the city council decision and the deal will go forward until citizens get enough signatures for a referendum

and

B) 2 days old, but the NHL listed a job opening on its website for a lawyer to represent them in the Phoenix debacle. 2 DAYS AGO.

How in the world did the league not have this taken care of months ago?

Plinko

Also, when did this happen?
The league also made rules changes regarding hand passes. Players who put their hand over the puck in their own zone or use their hand to win a faceoff will now get minor penalties.

i had a dream last night that i was playing an NHL videogame that was a 16-bit turn-based RPG. you fought through the forwards, then defensemen, then goaltender to win the game. but then there were off-ice battles about ownership and lockout stuff. i got as far as fighting bettman riding a coyote and then i stopped playing.

not gonna lie, i would totally play that game.

Kickstart it.

Top Bottom