• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Oh screw this...

The Wings would like to get Abdelkader to sign a four-year deal at just under $2 million a season. Quincey could be more difficult to sign at the number the Wings want since he made $3.25 million a year ago. They’re hoping to get him at a modest raise.

If that is what Abby wants then trade his RFA rights or something, he is only worth 1.5 and that is pushing it and not a four year deal like Helm, I say 2 years at max. Quincey I would be fine with at 3.5 but that is it, I would do a 3.5 on a one year deal to see how he does in a full season with the Wings since he only was able to play in a few games last year. Come on Holland, I know we have cap space but don't overpay for players that are easily replaceable. The Helm deal was decent, don't make a mistake with these other two.

Marvie_3

Banned
So I was reading this morning that

A) Legal experts say that the judge won't overturn the city council decision and the deal will go forward until citizens get enough signatures for a referendum
Yeah, it's highly unlikely that they get the deal thrown out but all they'd have to do is re-vote. The potential referendum will kill this deal anyway. Shouldn't take them more than a couple days to get enough signatures. Wouldn't surprise me to see Jamison walk away before too long. He's not going to want to get stuck with the team without the "arena mgmt fee" to cover some of the losses.

B) 2 days old, but the NHL listed a job opening on its website for a lawyer to represent them in the Phoenix debacle. 2 DAYS AGO.

How in the world did the league not have this taken care of months ago?
My guess is that he's needed for Glendale suing the NHL for damages after the Coyotes leave. It won't go anywhere though.

Oh screw this...

If that is what Abby wants then trade his RFA rights or something, he is only worth 1.5 and that is pushing it and not a four year deal like Helm, I say 2 years at max. Quincey I would be fine with at 3.5 but that is it, I would do a 3.5 on a one year deal to see how he does in a full season with the Wings since he only was able to play in a few games last year. Come on Holland, I know we have cap space but don't overpay for players that are easily replaceable. The Helm deal was decent, don't make a mistake with these other two.
I told you Helm was your big move.

Marvie_3

Banned
Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv
and they have to do it in 18 days with a long July 4th weekend. I'm not saying it's not do-able but it will be very, very difficult.
Retweeted by Lisa Halverstadt

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv
signatures and turn them in on July 9 (July 8 is a Sunday). They really need at least 2450 to account for invalid signatures...
Retweeted by Lisa Halverstadt

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv
Coyotes Troops: It's not over until the fat lady sings and this fat lady isn't singing yet. The opposition has to get 1862 valid...
This woman is retarded. Way to motivate the opposition to this deal.

:lol "Coyotes troops" What the shit.... :lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh screw this...

I'd sign Abdelkader for under 2 mill a year. He's worth it. He had a bad year last year. Maybe not a 4-year deal, but that's not really that bad of a deal money-wise.

I don't want Quincey at $3.5, I'll say that. That's crazy talk.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I heard about it this morning, apparently just got put in. Its based on from what Pierre McGuire was saying something that the Kings used a lot in these playoffs to their benefit.

So basically touching the puck with a hand is totally illegal now? I don't know if I like that.

Plinko

This woman is retarded. Way to motivate the opposition to this deal.

:lol "Coyotes troops" What the shit.... :lol

With the percentage of people against the deal at the last hearing, I have to imagine it will be quite easy to get these signatures.

Also, wouldn't the 4th of July weekend make it easier to get the signatures? More people will have days off and be out on the town.

My guess is that he's needed for Glendale suing the NHL for damages after the Coyotes leave. It won't go anywhere though.

That type of litigation would almost certainly be shopped to outside counsel. They're probably looking for someone to manage the legal team working on all the various aspects of the deal/move/litigation/etc. or to help them with the mound of discovery they're likely facing. The in-house guy almost certainly will not be in the courtroom.

Fei

Buffalo News reporter striking down that Ryan/Hiller for Miller rumor from yesterday:

‏@BNHarrington The Ryan Miller deal-was-done tweet from Philly is silly. He was never asked for a list of teams to be dealt to. Confirmed that multiple x

@BNHarrington Did the Ducks and Sabres TALK about Miller? Absolutely. But it was never close enough for the Sabres to even take it to Miller.

Marvie_3

Banned
So basically touching the puck with a hand is totally illegal now? I don't know if I like that.
You can still glove the puck down like always.

With the percentage of people against the deal at the last hearing, I have to imagine it will be quite easy to get these signatures.

Also, wouldn't the 4th of July weekend make it easier to get the signatures? More people will have days off and be out on the town.
Just hang out at malls and grocery stores in the few days leading up to that weekend and you'll have the signatures in no time.

brucewaynegretzky said:
That type of litigation would almost certainly be shopped to outside counsel. They're probably looking for someone to manage the legal team working on all the various aspects of the deal/move/litigation/etc. or to help them with the mound of discovery they're likely facing. The in-house guy almost certainly will not be in the courtroom.[/url]After the team moves he might be considered an outside guy. :D

Cake Boss

Banned
For anyone interested in the scouting and drafting process, the sens website put up a couple of videos with their scouts and their process.

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hcatid=1304&id=181496&lang=en

That Trouba kid looks like the next Pronger, confidence just reeks off him.

And if your day requires a bit more swagger there is this video.

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=769&id=181817

For anyone interested in the scouting and drafting process, the sens website put up a couple of videos with their scouts and their process.

That Trouba kid looks like the next Pronger, confidence just reeks off him.

And if your day requires a bit more swagger there is this video.

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=769&id=181817

The only problem I see with Trouba is he's only 6'1". Maybe he'll grow since he's only 18, but big time defensive defensemen are generally at least three inches taller. He's obviously not a small kid, but those are the little kinda differences that allow the bigger guys to really dominate.

Cake Boss

Banned
NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL
#CBJ name Craig Hartsburg Associate Coach. PRESS RELEASE: http://bit.ly/LkacgB
Retweeted by Bob

Ohwow.jpg

And holy fuck I hope Ottawa is out of the running for Nash. Giving up Mika would be a terrible move. Stay the course Murray, dont go full retard.

If that rumored offer is true, then they're not as high on Zibanejad as they were. Personally I think Noesen will turn out to the best player we got in the 1st round last year.

As for Nash I really don't get why people are so opposed against us trying to get him. Alfie has 1 year tops left in the tank and at that point we'll have to replace everything he bring to the Sens (pretty much impossible), Nash is the closest thing on the market that we could get. There's no guarantee anyone we drafted could be that kind of franchise player, players like that are awfully rare.

Yes he is overpaid but that caphit won't be as big of a problem with the cap going up. Parise will get a similar caphit but his contract will last til he is 40 years old.

I think we'll take Lindholm if he's available, his value has been climbing rapidly and that's the kind of under the radar fast risers we are known to take.

Looks like some talk is heating up on trading Parise's rights to Colorado or Stars which to me seems highly false. Colorado I see doing it, but the Stars? I don't think so.

lupinko

Looks like some talk is heating up on trading Parise's rights to Colorado or Stars which to me seems highly false. Colorado I see doing it, but the Stars? I don't think so.

Why wouldn't it be the Stars? It's not like they're bankrupt, they fixed that ownership issue awhile back already.

Why wouldn't it be the Stars? It's not like they're bankrupt, they fixed that ownership issue awhile back already.

They haven't been mentioned at all to be in the running but I guess stuff changes, better get on it Kenny, offer them Abby or something, if not Semin it is!

Silexx

If that rumored offer is true, then they're not as high on Zibanejad as they were. Personally I think Noesen will turn out to the best player we got in the 1st round last year.

As for Nash I really don't get why people are so opposed against us trying to get him. Alfie has 1 year tops left in the tank and at that point we'll have to replace everything he bring to the Sens (pretty much impossible), Nash is the closest thing on the market that we could get. There's no guarantee anyone we drafted could be that kind of franchise player, players like that are awfully rare.

Yes he is overpaid but that caphit won't be as big of a problem with the cap going up. Parise will get a similar caphit but his contract will last til he is 40 years old.

I think we'll take Lindholm if he's available, his value has been climbing rapidly and that's the kind of under the radar fast risers we are known to take.

Yeah, I'm also sensing more and more that Lindholm is our guy. But that is assuming we are still going to pick at 15. This draft will see a lot of movement, I think.

Cake Boss

Banned
@Bears_Ducks4eva There's no question that he gets/has gotten calls about him. Doesn't mean that he will be dealt. It will take a lot.

Yeah I wonder how I would feel if my team keeps publicly putting me on the trade market.Yeah thats going to be a healthy relationship and locker room next season.

They hired Keith Acton too, which is pretty hilarious.

Some people are speculating on Twitter that the Hartsburg hiring implies that they're planning to draft Murray at #2. I guess that makes sense assuming Edmonton don't go off the board.

I think Oilers will take Yakupov and either trade him or Hall down the road (whoever turns out to be better).

Yakupov is still seen as the best talent available, you don't pass on that to draft on need and Murray may be somewhat overrated as well.

Yeah I wonder how I would feel if my team keeps publicly putting me on the trade market.Yeah thats going to be a healthy relationship and locker room next season.

It's part of the business, NHL players get paid millions, that's the price you pay. Most rumors don't lead to anything anyway so I'm sure most players are immune to this stuff.

The really good players get NTC/NMC.

Yeah, I'm also sensing more and more that Lindholm is our guy. But that is assuming we are still going to pick at 15. This draft will see a lot of movement, I think.

We don't have our 2nd this year so I can't see how we can move up, we have 2 3rd rounders so we might trade up for a 2nd.

They have a fairly big list and they're confident at least one of them will be available at 15. It doesn't sound like there's one guy they're really big on but then again there's no way they'd leak that.

Cactus

Banned
I think Oilers will take Yakupov and either trade him or Hall down the road (whoever turns out to be better).

Yakupov is still seen as the best talent available, you don't pass on that to draft on need and Murray may be somewhat overrated as well.

Yeah, I definitely agree. Plus, the way Tambellini was smiling when he won the draft lottery leads me to believe he'll be picking Yakupov.

Yeah, I definitely agree. Plus, the way Tambellini was smiling when he won the draft lottery leads me to believe he'll be picking Yakupov.

Yep.

Although I think he'd more than happy to trade or trade down for a young D-man like Subban/Gardiner if such an offer were legitimately offered.

Cactus

Banned
Yep.

Although I think he'd more than happy to trade or trade down for a young D-man like Subban/Gardiner if such an offer were legitimately offered.

I'm sure he would. I doubt he's received that kind of offer, though. If he did, Subban or Gardiner would probably be members of the Oilers organization right now.

ShaneB

i had a dream last night that i was playing an NHL videogame that was a 16-bit turn-based RPG. you fought through the forwards, then defensemen, then goaltender to win the game. but then there were off-ice battles about ownership and lockout stuff. i got as far as fighting bettman riding a coyote and then i stopped playing.

not gonna lie, i would totally play that game.

Well this just sounds awesome.

I'm sure he would. I doubt he's received that kind of offer, though. If he did, Subban or Gardiner would probably be members of the Oilers organization right now.

I doubt he received it but I'm sure he asked. He'd feel better with a known quantity like Gardiner/Subban than a talented unknown like Yakupov, who does have that KHL stigma attached to him.

Silexx

I hope he follows Selanne's lead, signs 1 year deals and then sees if he can do another year in the summer.

But he might want to go out on a high note like this season kind of like Lidstrom.

If he retires this summer, good bet that Nash will be on our roster for next season.

Actually, I think that if Alfie plays another year, then our interest in Nash increases since it would give us a better shot at the Cup and allow Alfie to go out on that high note. Otherwise, it would be best to keep our stock of prospects and look towards the future since we'd be turning the page on the Alfie era in Ottawa.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@Steve_Lloyd: There is something to the rumours that Grigorenko's sliding b/c he's really 20, not 18. No proof, but some teams are wary it might be true."

"@AJonSports: @Steve_Lloyd Have heard these rumors all season long. Surprised it's taken this long to go mainstream."

This is some Obama shit going on.

Revenant

Basketball is second only to soccer for being the most dramatic when it comes to fouls and injuries

I like the concept of basketball but it makes it hard for me to watch it at the pro level

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'd probably laugh if only i cared a tiny little bit about the NBA... But I don't.

Actually, I think that if Alfie plays another year, then our interest in Nash increases since it would give us a better shot at the Cup and allow Alfie to go out on that high note. Otherwise, it would be best to keep our stock of prospects and look towards the future since we'd be turning the page on the Alfie era in Ottawa.

I think our Cup chances depend more on what's done about our defense than forwards but both need help. I think our "Cup window" is about as big as however many years Spezza is a top player.

If Alfie retires and we go status quo then I doubt we make the playoffs, can't replace what he brings.

They're going to aggressively build a competitive team every year, I think the interest in Nash is both to complement Alfie and potentially replace him down the road.

Top Bottom