• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
We've been pretty mellow since we've known we would both have top 5 picks, and the way the Habs season went we know how they've felt for the last while. Once next season starts though it's back on. Years of comparing our draft picks from this year await Gaf.

Honestly we mellowed out during that week at the beginning of the season where for some reason there was like 3 games over a 2 day period in the entire NHL. At the time we were just spitting some vicious venom at each other non-stop and with no games going on neither side could just keep it up and we ended up calling a truce.

I personally expect some salt and venom to be hurled come Friday when we figure out who each team drafts.

I'm currently setting up the charts to compare how much better the Leafs pick is over the overrated Habs pick. :p

Sanjuro

I think naked Chara is too much, even for NBA gaf. We have to have some mercy.

Don't worry, naked Bobby Orr has our back.

04sJy.jpg

Solo

I predict the Habs will start on the road as always (though they request this) and have their annual December roadtrip of death.

Cake Boss

Banned
I cant wait to see if all of our back to back games are all the Leaf games again.

According to SENS_INSIDER on twitter the deal between the Sens and the Blackhawks (Smith +3rd for Hjalmarsson) is all but a done deal and is supposedly to be announced at the draft tomorrow.

Urgh hating losing Smith but Hammer is awesome and swede.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Where are you guys seeing the schedule? For once my google-fu fails me. :(

edit: Nevermind, I just had to refresh the page.

Quick

Banned
Schedule is out but does matter? Realignment is coming with the CBA so the schedule could be meaningless.

I would think that they have very little time to do it. I'm assuming it isn't just the task of moving teams around and changing the schedule, but plenty of background work as well.

I'd be okay keeping things the same until next season, so there's plenty of time to prepare. Not sure if Winnipeg feels the same, though.

In any case, I'm not a big fan of the proposed realignment.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hooray there won't be one of those stupid 7 day breaks at the beginning of the year.

And as always first game of the year against the Habs.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Schedule release is meaningless with the work stoppage coming.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Well this is shocking news. Leafs not playing on three Saturdays this year. The shocking part is it seems they won't be playing in back to back Saturdays in January.

Bruins schedule not that bad. There's a 20 game stretch with only 4 road games, and only one road trip more than 3 games being a 7 game road trip in February.

Quick

Banned
People keep saying this and I just don't get it. Who exactly are their masterful trolls?

After being in there, I wonder that myself. Not seeing anything masterful at all.

Well this is shocking news. Leafs not playing on three Saturdays this year. The shocking part is it seems they won't be playing in back to back Saturdays in January.

There were a couple of Saturdays last season where the Leafs didn't play. And the Leafs don't have any Sunday games this time. I think there were maybe 1 or 2 last season.

Cake Boss

Banned
I hope Melnyk has made his descion whether he'll accept Nash's salary or not, because if hes not then he is wasting Murray's time where he could have been doing something else.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Canucks with 5 b2b's and... A week where there's no game between sunday and friday. Ew.

EDIT: nvm, that's probably all-star break... I suppose. -shrug-

Not that you couldn't afford it, just that the guy is a penny pincher and might not want to take on 7.8 mill contract. At least that's what I've read from beat writers, et al.

Ottawa was a cap team until last year, and we just handed out a 7 year 6.5M contract to Karlsson. Does that strike you as cheap ?

Charles Wang, now that's cheap.

We're rebuilding our roster so it makes no sense to spend a lot right now

I hope Melnyk has made his descion whether he'll accept Nash's salary or not, because if hes not then he is wasting Murray's time where he could have been doing something else.

If we're really in on Nash then I am sure the owner is OK with the contract. Can you imagine if we actually pull the trade off only to have Melnyk shoot it down at the 11th hour ? Murray wouldn't be wasting his time talking to Columbus if he didn't have the green light.

I really doubt Nash waives his NMC for us though.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
After being in there, I wonder that myself. Not seeing anything masterful at all.

There were a couple of Saturdays last season where the Leafs didn't play. And the Leafs don't have any Sunday games this time. I think there were maybe 1 or 2 last season.

Those Sunday games were just not cool man. It's always a shock when I turn on the TV and see them about ready to play.

Cake Boss

Banned

He and his agent are scheduled to meet with Jackets GM Scott Howson today and the belief is they’ll discuss the possibility of expanding his list. Some people I have talked to today seem to think Nash would be quite receptive to the idea of playing in Ottawa.

I guess we will know today. I hope he declines Ottawa the more I think about, we would be giving up a lot of depth and become a one line team again, we got killed in 07 because of it.

Silexx

Senschirp seems to believe that the Sens offer for Nash is the best one so far, but that Howson is using the offer as a baseline to get other teams to step up their game.

I guess we will know today. I hope he declines Ottawa the more I think about, we would be giving up a lot of depth and become a one line team again, we got killed in 07 because of it.

A top-6 of Nash, Spezza, Michalek,Turris, Alfie, Silfverberg doesn't look like a 1 line team to me.

Senschirp seems to believe that the Sens offer for Nash is the best one so far, but that Howson is using the offer as a baseline to get other teams to step up their game.

Doesn't surprise me one bit, especially since we weren't on Nash's original list of teams. If he can get an equivalent or better deal from one of the teams on his list. Boom, done deal.

Ottawa was a cap team until last year, and we just handed out a 7 year 6.5M contract to Karlsson. Does that strike you as cheap ?

Charles Wang, now that's cheap.

We're rebuilding our roster so it makes no sense to spend a lot right now

If we're really in on Nash then I am sure the owner is OK with the contract. Can you imagine if we actually pull the trade off only to have Melnyk shoot it down at the 11th hour ? Murray wouldn't be wasting his time talking to Columbus if he didn't have the green light.

I'm just saying what I read. The fact that they just handed Karlsson that big contract was what people were referring to, in that they just gave out that money so they wouldn't be likely to take on another huge one. I don't know. Maybe Ottawa would try to send some salary the other way. But even like you say, I don't think Senators would be on his list. All I know is that the story on Nash to Ottawa changes daily. One day they are interested, the next people say they aren't. Dreger says they are a long shot one day and then the next on TV says they are in on him.
Also cap =/= salary.

Thats if Alfie comes back, if Turris takes the next step, if Silfver is ready for NA hockey.

Alfie is coming back, you just know it.

Turris was a better player than Spezza at times, was getting more icetime as well and that was with a shortened season and no training camp. They considered Silfverberg NHL ready last year but he wanted to go back to Sweden. I'd say things look good. And we still have Stone in the picture among others like Petersson.

I'm just saying what I read.

I understand, not trying to attack you or anything. I'm also surprised we're making offers on Nash. In his interviews, Melnyk gave me the impression that while we're not spending a lot anytime soon, there's definate flexibility if it makes sense. Under the current CBA we'd have to spend just to hit the floor even with Karlsson's contract.

Like you say Howson is doing a lot of negotiation through the media, so it's hard to tell what's really going on.

Cactus

Banned
Alfie is coming back, you just know it.

Turris was a better player than Spezza at times, was getting more icetime as well and that was with a shortened season and no training camp. They considered Silfverberg NHL ready last year but he wanted to go back to Sweden. I'd say things look good. And we still have Stone in the picture among others like Petersson.

You obviously know more about guys like Stone and Silfverberg than I do, but I wouldn't assume a prospect, no matter how NHL ready he's claimed to be, will come in and be a top-6 forward right away.

Silfverberg, for example, is coming from a vastly inferior league that uses a different sized ice surface. It will probably take some time before he's comfortable enough with the North American style of hockey to contribute at an acceptable level.

Revenant

I cant wait to see if all of our back to back games are all the Leaf games again.

Take good care of super Nintendo Chalmers for us. Sucks to see him go but he hasn't lived up to his contract the last two years.

You obviously know more about guys like Stone and Silfverberg than I do, but I wouldn't assume a prospect, no matter how NHL ready he's claimed to be, will come in and be a top-6 forward right away.

Silfverberg, for example, is coming from a vastly inferior league that uses a different sized ice surface. It will probably take some time before he's comfortable enough with the North American style of hockey to contribute at an acceptable level.

I wouldn't call the SEL "vastly inferior". Lots of top players from Sweden enter the NHL and are successful and Silfverberg was the best player in that league last year. Sweden is producing some of the best talent in the world right now, just look at the top prospects every year and see how many are from Sweden.

I am not saying they will step in and be a top-6 forward right away but all signs seem to indicate that they are good enough to play in the NHL, especially since we didn't hesitate to use Stone and Silfverberg in the playoffs.

No guarantees but at this point in time it's about as good as it can get.

Marvie_3

Banned
I think you're overrating Hammer a bit.

The schedule also includes games in Glendale :p
Right now the schedule is written on a dry erase board.

Take good care of super Nintendo Chalmers for us. Sucks to see him go but he hasn't lived up to his contract the last two years.
Yep. Chicago will be going after Suter now with Hammer gone.

Top Bottom