• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

If the asking price for Ryan is lower of that of Nash, why isn't it done yet? A GM would have pulled the trigger already.
I'd take Ryan Over Nash all day.

Probably the starting price is lower. I'm sure Anaheim will run it up if all the teams after Nash are involved.

Not sure, does Ryan have a no trade clause?

No. He's too young to have one either, can't have one until you're eligible for UFA status.

Tempting... Throw in a jar of suicide pills and you've got yourself a deal!

Already in the mail.

Also rumors going around that some players aren't happy with Babcock (yeah I've been looking at HFboards) just hope it is all a bunch of nothing as I doubt someone like Helm would have resigned for 4 more years if he didn't like Babs and who is a big character and locker room guy.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well, I guess all that matters is what your team can live with. None of these guys are coming to Montreal (sadly), but I would sell the farm to land Ryan. Him and Patches on the wings on the top line? Great googly moogly.
I wouldn't do this, we're in the process of retooling and are finally stocking up the farm to have one of the best defensive cores in a few years. Plus Ryan has been on the block for a while now, that should be a red flag.

Solo

I wouldn't do this, we're in the process of retooling and are finally stocking up the farm to have one of the best defensive cores in a few years. Plus Ryan has been on the block for a while now, that should be a red flag.

Well, like I said, none of these guys are coming to Montreal, so its kinda moot.

Having said that, I don't believe Ryan has legitimately been on the market yet. Murray loves to put feelers out there. If he had really wanted to move Ryan during the season, he would have. And guaranteed-30-goal-per-season-minimum players who aren't even in their primes yet don't grow on trees. I would totally make a play for him.

PHI better stay the FUCK away from Nash. Seriously.

I'm trying desperately to think of a deal that could work. JVR and.... uh.... that other guy.

Hopefully they could throw in Bob and some picks. JVR not getting the surgery that he needs probably kills any trade the Flyers could make. I would much rather they get Stall/Ryan then Nash if they have to trade for someone.

ShaneB

It will be hilarious when someone pays it for him

I just don't understand the thinking in Columbus. They obviously want to try and rebuild without Nash now, but they're asking for the farm for him, which won't work given how many other teams want to keep their farm :p

So yeah, if someone does end up making the deal, it will likely be hilarious, but I can't see any GM being dumb enough to pull the trigger with the current asking price.... but I guess there have been insane deals before :p

Hopefully they could throw in Bob and some picks. JVR not getting the surgery that he needs probably kills any trade the Flyers could make. I would much rather they get Stall/Ryan then Nash if they have to trade for someone.

Bob plus JVR isn't good enough because it doesn't offset the cap hit and forces us to take on another low level goalie contract. JVR and losing Jagr could work because then we just bring up Wellwood, but that would mean we'd likely lose Carle and have a top four of Kimmo, Coburn, Grossman, and Mez, which is serviceable, but 5/6 would be shit.

Overall, the Flyers are gonna be a contender again next year regardless. The only question is whether they can actually improve. To do that they need to bring in some defense and Bryz needs to get his shit together.

EDIT: I actually would kinda like the Flyers to trade JVR and their pick to move up in the draft if possible. Would free up cap space and could bring in more youth that could contribute right away.

Cake Boss

Banned
I hope Murray just walks away.

I'm OK with getting Nash for a reasonable price, I can't see why he should get more than what Richards and Carter went for.

I could make the argument that Nash is a franchise player compared to those two, he means a lot more to Colombus than those 2 guys on and off the ice.

I could make the argument that Nash is a franchise player compared to those two, he means a lot more to Colombus than those 2 guys on and off the ice.

That's fine he's worth a lot to Columbus I get that.

But he's a $7.8M cap hit with no CBA next year with an unknown salary cap.

He's 28 and his stats have been trending down last few years. There are risks for the receiving team as well.

Howson is acting like he's shopping Crosby.

Look at what we got for Heatley. Same scenario.

If we want a top-6 forward there are other options, hell try and get JVR from Philly if they're shopping him.

Bruce I am with you 100% about them needing to focus on D rather then O this offseason. Flyers were 28th in goals allowed. They gotta improve the D somehow. Sucks Sutter doesnt want to come here. Hopefully they can sign some mid level defensemen this off season.

Bruce I am with you 100% about them needing to focus on D rather then O this offseason. Flyers were 28th in goals allowed. They gotta improve the D somehow. Sucks Sutter doesnt want to come here. Hopefully they can sign some mid level defensemen this off season.

Trade JVR for D. I honestly don't even care if he works out somewhere else. Another under 30 guy who can play 20 minutes a game.

JABEE

That's fine he's worth a lot to Columbus I get that.

But he's a $7.8M cap hit with no CBA next year with an unknown salary cap.

He's 28 and his stats have been trending down last few years. There are risks for the receiving team as well.

Howson is acting like he's shopping Crosby.

Look at what we got for Heatley. Same scenario.

I bet you he ends up settling for three pieces. He can't realistically drag this into the season. He might as well get ready for next season's draft lottery. Howson is going to get fleeced just like last season, because he waited too long to make the deal.

Cake Boss

Banned
imagefromurl

JABEE

Trade JVR for D. I honestly don't even care if he works out somewhere else. Another under 30 guy who can play 20 minutes a game.

I wouldn't trade JVR for any defense man. I don't how much quality defense man there are on the market. If Suter won't come to Philadelphia and Weber if Weber signs long term in Nashville, there is no point in trading JVR for 2nd or 3rd pairing defense man. Hartnell's contract is up after this year and with the salary cap at 70.3 million, I would rather trade assets and cap space for quality players like Rick Nash and Bobby Ryan than middle of the road defense men. I'm sure the Flyers have a plan like they had last season. No one expected the Flyers to sign Jagr. Carle is all but resigned due to tagging issues. This is what the current defense looks like.

Grossman-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Gustaffson/Bordoun

We don't need to trade a top 6 winger for defensive depth. It's a poor allocation of assets. Unless the Flyers are getting a top pairing defense man or one with as much potential as JVR has at his position, then I don't make the trade.

God damn those d-pairings are brutal. They desperately need to add someone. I thought that I heard there was supposed to be a lot of defenseman FAs this year, Flyers need to at least bring in some 2nd pairing guys. I wouldnt trade JVR just to trade him, but I would move him in a second if it would improve our D.

I wouldn't trade JVR for any defense man. I don't how much quality defense man there are on the market. If Suter won't come to Philadelphia and Weber if Weber signs long term in Nashville, there is no point in trading JVR for 2nd or 3rd pairing defense man. Hartnell's contract is up after this year and with the salary cap at 70.3 million, I would rather trade assets and cap space for quality players like Rick Nash and Bobby Ryan than middle of the road defense men. I'm sure the Flyers have a plan like they had last season. No one expected the Flyers to sign Jagr. Carle is all but resigned due to tagging issues. This is what the current defense looks like.

Grossman-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Gustaffson/Bordoun

We don't need to trade a top 6 winger for defensive depth. It's a poor allocation of assets. Unless the Flyers are getting a top pairing defense man or one with as much potential as JVR has at his position, then I don't make the trade.

The problem is we have a glut of top 6 forwards, and our D is really only acceptable. If we lose JVR we still have a top 5 offense in the league, just look at the last two season where he's underperformed. On top of that we have Wellwood looking to come up.

On top of that, D is what wins championships.

And yankee, I disagree on your assessment of the D pairings. I think we're a mediocre defensive team when we aren't decimated by injuries and playing competently. Unfortunately that's not good enough.

The problem is we have a glut of top 6 forwards, and our D is really only acceptable. If we lose JVR we still have a top 5 offense in the league, just look at the last two season where he's underperformed. On top of that we have Wellwood looking to come up.

And yankee, I disagree on your assessment of the D pairings. I think we're a mediocre defensive team when we aren't decimated by injuries and playing competently. Unfortunately that's not good enough.

Look at those pairings who do you have that can shut down the other teams forecheck, who is going to shut down guys like Crosby and Malkin? The Flyers do not have a real top paring. Timonen is really starting to get old, Grossman is good be he isnt great or anything, Carle and Coburn are both good at best, I really like Mez when he is healthy.

JABEE

I think adding Nash would allow the Flyers to balance their lines better for defensive and offensive purposes. I think Couturier and Schenn should also improve. I'd like to add a defense man if one is available. The one thing I didn't think about was the possibility that Timonen could start season on LTIR. Snider said this off season that defense would be the number one priority. If Nash move is made, I wonder what defenseman they are bringing in? The Flyers should have more cap space than $9 million when they're in season, and a move for Bobby Ryan would probably be close to an even move in cap space.

Look at those pairings who do you have that can shut down the other teams forecheck, who is going to shut down guys like Crosby and Malkin? The Flyers do not have a real top paring. Timonen is really starting to get old, Grossman is good be he isnt great or anything, Carle and Coburn are both good at best, I really like Mez when he is healthy.

This is the problem with how people look at defensemen. Our guys aren't individual shutdown guys, but they don't have to be. Our defensive forward lines are very good. Also, Kimmo can. Even at his age he's one of the best D-men in the league. One of the highest hockey IQ's ever.

I think adding Nash would allow the Flyers to balance their lines better for defensive and offensive purposes. I think Couturier and Schenn should also improve. I'd like to add a defense man if one is available. The one thing I didn't think about was the possibility that Timonen could start season on LTIR. Snider said this off season that defense would be the number one priority. If Nash move is made, I wonder what defenseman they are bringing in? The Flyers should have more cap space than $9 million when they're in season, and a move for Bobby Ryan would probably be close to an even move in cap space.

Nash's cap hit isn't worth it at all. He's not good enough defensively.

Heretic

I really don't think we'll trade anybody. We just got rid of Blake and Hagman leaving some cap space. Not to mention Parros also possibly moving on. Our prospects performed really well at the end of last season. I think with our 6th pick and possibly a pick to fill the Blake/Hagman gap we should be fine. Last season was a wash. Everyone sucked + key injuries made the first half unbearable.

I don't see the RPG line going anywhere. They might not play together anymore but my guess is they're staying Ducks.

If we can pick up a Duchene or Oshie I would cream my pants. Such as man crush for those two.

I don't care if Nash gets traded. I'm a bit peeved that Howson isn't shopping him for a goalie. All this Philly talk makes me disappointed.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't care if Nash gets traded. I'm a bit peeved that Howson isn't shopping him for a goalie. All this Philly talk makes me disappointed.

If Luongo didn't have a NMC I'm fairly convinced a deal with Columbus would've already happened.

If Luongo didn't have a NMC I'm fairly convinced a deal with Columbus would've already happened.

I was hoping for Bobby Lu to end up as a Jacket. We'd probably fight for a lower playoff seed (7-8, 6 at best) with him at the net.

We still have two first round picks to trade. Someone has to bite on those.

I don't care who we draft. I just want a decent goalie, i.e. not Mason, to give us a fighting chance.

I was hoping for Bobby Lu to end up as a Jacket. We'd probably fight for a lower playoff seed (7-8, 6 at best) with him at the net.

We still have two first round picks to trade. Someone has to bite on those.

I don't care who we draft. I just want a decent goalie, i.e. not Mason, to give us a fighting chance.

Jackets need A LOT more than a goalie.

Oh, I agree. But the biggest need IS a goalie. We could use LW's like a thirsty man needs water. Maybe another defense man, too.

But what I'm saying is, put Lundqvist on that team and it's still not making the playoffs. Playoffs shouldn't even be on CBJs mind right now. Rebuild, not "refresh".

Top Bottom