• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Those are great. I don't eat them often, but they never disappoint.

For some reason, I've had the appetite of a 19 year old stoner these past two days. Buying popsicles, ben and jerry's, oreos, etc.

Delicious. Better make sure to get in a workout this weekend

Sanjuro

It must've been all the Kessel jokes you made.

Pretty sure Toronto knew the comedic risks when it came to him.

Damn. I just hope he wasn't able to get out of their search parameter. Is the entire city shut down or still just Watertown? Because if they finish their search and he's nowhere in there... He can be anywhere, right.

Watertown, possible some of the surrounding areas. The main portions of the city aren't locked down, but they suggest people stay in their homes.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wait, what's up with this Chechnya stuff? Have they given out more information on the subjects?

EDIT: Yeah if I was in Boston right now, I'd just stay home, or at least not go anywhere near large crowds/public events/landmarks.

Guys, my son is writing an essay on punishment and chose hockey. Revolves around intent to injure. Does anyone know how long Hossa was out after the Torres hit?

Acid08

Banned
Wait, what's up with this Chechnya stuff? Have they given out more information on the subjects?

EDIT: Yeah if I was in Boston right now, I'd just stay home, or at least not go anywhere near large crowds/public events/landmarks.
Their father, aunt, and uncle have all given statements. Dad and aunt are in denial, uncle was fucking pissed and told the kid to turn himself in. Said that he's a disgrace to their entire ethnicity.

Quick

Banned
For some reason, I've had the appetite of a 19 year old stoner these past two days. Buying popsicles, ben and jerry's, oreos, etc.

Delicious. Better make sure to get in a workout this weekend

If I may make a suggestion, separate them, spread some Nutella on the filling and put it back together. Or mix it with the regular black ones.

tumblr_mk6s3dzjLf1qbdynmo1_400.gif

Smiley90

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
If I may make a suggestion, separate them, spread some Nutella on the filling and put it back together. Or mix it with the regular black ones.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/542a066e4d3dc2c962baba62d86f748c/tumblr_mk6s3dzjLf1qbdynmo1_400.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Well now I'm sending you the bill for my gym membership and diabeetus medications.

That sounds heavenly

I think he might be overstating it. As the article suggests, it's likely that these two are working mostly on their own. I don't think this is indicative of a pan-Chechen jihad. But we'll see.

Purely pointless speculation at this point, but I do wonder if 'secular' Chechen nationalism was the carrot that drew them into/exposed them to a radicalized Islamist group.

Socreges

Banned
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, sorry. Like, I know the words, I just don't get the context.
A movement where Chechens around the world are working together to wage war against its perceived enemies (religious, cultural, imperial).

I might be the first to ever use that term, but it works.

Purely pointless speculation at this point, but I do wonder if 'secular' Chechen nationalism was the carrot that drew them into/exposed them to a radicalized Islamist group.
Yeah, no idea. Will be interesting to see how often they interacted with other Chechens. My guess for now is that neither brother had much success integrating into American culture which left them on the margins and vulnerable to influence.

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/04/19/chechnya_s_war_just_arrived_in_the_united_states

I think he might be overstating it. As the article suggests, it's likely that these two are working mostly on their own. I don't think this is indicative of a pan-Chechen jihad. But we'll see.

I would imagine that's not a thing.

edit:

To clarify: the term jihad is not a good fit for Chechen acts of political terror compared its use describing the acts of splinter groups such as Al-Qaeda, who have dominated the term internationally over the past decade.

Smiley90

A movement where Chechens around the world are working together to wage war against its perceived enemies (religious, cultural, imperial).

I might be the first to ever use that term, but it works.

Yeah... that doesn't sound like a thing. I really hope that'll just be the isolated works of two delutional Chechens. I've never even heard the term "Chechen" before just now. If you say jihad, are they confirmed Muslims? Are they Americans or foreigners living in the country?

Jesus. Let's all jump the guy living there because we know better from Ontario and Vancouver.

Yeah I saw Sanjuro's post in the big thread last night.

Socreges

Banned
Did you read the article?

Yeah... that doesn't sound like a thing. I really hope that'll just be the isolated works of two delutional Chechens. I've never even heard the term "Chechen" before just now. If you say jihad, are they confirmed Muslims? Are they Americans or foreigners living in the country?
Chechen = people from Chechnya

And they're confirmed Muslims. Naturalized Americans, I think.

Jesus. Let's all jump the guy living there because we know better from Ontario and Vancouver.
You don't need to be in Boston to be able to read posts written in Boston. And probably not a good idea to bring this back up when people have moved on.

Easy to criticize someone living there from places both remote from there and an entirely different country apparently. (Not you)

Acid08

Banned

They're a native Russian people, I believe. Chechneya.

How have some people here never heard of Chechnya before? Did you miss the 1990s? The Moscow Theatre attack? The Beslan school attack? Good golly.

Socreges

Banned

edit:

To clarify: the term jihad is not a good fit for Chechen acts of political terror compared its use describing the acts of splinter groups such as Al-Qaeda, who have dominated the term internationally over the past decade.
I have no intention of signing up for the site to read it. I was just disputing the use of jihad, not denying any larger movement behind the attacks.

I'm responding directly to the article that I linked to in the same post, which featured comments like:

"This is a big deal. And it shows how the conflict in the Caucasus has metastasized into a kind of globalized jihadist theatre, at least in the minds of the young people fighting there."

And I didn't realize you needed to sign up. I'm not signed up and I was able to access the article from the FP twitter link. But I also accessed it from my phone.

Smiley90

How have some people here never heard of Chechnya before? Did you miss the 1990s? The Moscow Theatre attack? The Beslan school attack? Good golly.

I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard of it before, esp since I'm European oO. I guess that happened before my time? I mean, I was born 1990... Maybe you're just too old. :p

Also, that article is behind some weirdo "log in with facebook" pop-up you can't get rid of Soc, and I hate pages like that like the pest.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I know there was a Chechnyan mail order bride on an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force that we watched on a DVD in college.

I have heard of it elsewhere before that too

I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard of it before, esp since I'm European oO. I guess that happened before my time? I mean, I was born 1990... Maybe you're just too old.

A baby Euro walks among us!?!

Sorry for my above post - it's assholish.

Your age would explain it: both Chechen Wars occurred in the 90s, and the Moscow & Beslan attacks occurred in the early 00s.

I'm responding directly to the article that I linked to in the same post, which featured comments like:

"This is a big deal. And it shows how the conflict in the Caucasus has metastasized into a kind of globalized jihadist theatre, at least in the minds of the young people fighting there."

And I didn't realize you needed to sign up. I'm not signed up and I was able to access the article from the FP twitter link. But I also accessed it from my phone.

I'm sure its a well written article and I have no intention of getting into long winded political debate in a hockey thread.

For what it's worth a decent amount of academic writing on the subject seems to use the term Jihad to describe the acts of a ethnic or religious group that uses the same methods as Al Qaeda and its ilk, and not to reflect the the root cause of a true jihad.

edit:

Having read the article on mobile halfway through writing this post I have no issue with it.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Friedman mentioned in his 30 thoughts blog this week that he believes the league should just cancel the postponed Sens/ Bruins game if it's result won't have any effect on the playoff match ups. I don't know how the league handles this types of situations , but it would make sense for them to cancel it if it's a pointless game.

Smiley90

Friedman mentioned in his 30 thoughts blog this week that he believes the league should just cancel the postponed Sens/ Bruins game if it's result won't have any effect on the playoff match ups. I don't know how the league handles this types of situations , but it would make sense for them to cancel it if it's a pointless game.

mmhmm has that ever happened before? Couldn't other teams argue that those 2 teams would then be "fresher" for the playoffs than others? I'm not saying it'd be sound logic, but it's something. I'm not sure there's an "optimal" solution here.

As an Ottawa fan I'd take that in a heartbeat.

On the other hand it's very unlikely that the matchups won't be in flux given how tight the east is and it could set a bad precedent.

Quick

Banned
mmhmm has that ever happened before? Couldn't other teams argue that those 2 teams would then be "fresher" for the playoffs than others? I'm not saying it'd be sound logic, but it's something. I'm not sure there's an "optimal" solution here.

Pretty much. You could even say that they're better off canceling the Pens/Bruins game, rather than the Sens one.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Sens are 1 point behind Leafs and 1 ahead of Islanders. They have to play that game. Races at the mid to bottom of the East are way too tight.

One less game for Conacher to get points? OK

Won't happen

Alucard

Banned
Just read about the Pens and Bruins being cancelled. Hope that Boston police find the mixed up asshole responsible for the bombing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom