• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't care.

I woke up this morning and doublechecked and it's true we made the playoffs. I'm happy.

Also listening to this podcast only a few minutes in...Quick I'm disappointed I haven't heard you yell Kessel's name as yet.

Quick

Banned
I don't care.

I woke up this morning and doublechecked and it's true we made the playoffs. I'm happy.

Also listening to this podcast only a few minutes in...Quick I'm disappointed I haven't heard you yell Kessel's name as yet.

:(

I'll make a note of it next time I do it.

Curufinwe

Did a few months back and again earlier today, Leafs-GAF!!!

Being in New Zealand, NHL coverage is and always has been piss poor, so the only way to watch any games was through dodgy re-streams until I discovered Game Center and NHL GAF this season.. You after hours dudes scare me a little but I think I will cope!

I used to watch it on Sky when ESPN had the rights in the 90s and early 00s. The coverage was pretty good back then, especially during the playoffs.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Congrats Leafs fans.

Northbeast Division > all others

Milchjon

If you think Leafs-GAF is annoying now, wait for the fairweather fans.

Can I be one?

Go Leafs! Kave and me will show you naysayers!

Uh, how many players are on the ice during a game?

No, I will not embarrass the poor kitty any further.

Sens just need 3 points from their last 4 games to clinch, I think. It's something I expect them to accomplish, but holy moses look at the teams they face: Penguins, Capitals, Flyers and Bruins.

Rangers play their last 4 games against eliminated teams, but 2 games are against the Devils (Kovalchuk is back).

Stet

Banned
Can I be one?

Go Leafs! Kave and me will show you naysayers!

Uh, how many players are on the ice during a game?

No, I will not embarrass the poor kitty any further.

With the Leafs? Generally 2 hockey players, 2 boxers, a pinball wizard and a rebound slot machine.

Brinbe

bwahahaha, just noticed the title change, fucking glorious.

Get dem car flags ready! I'm sure the dusty ones in storage from 9 years ago are still in good condition.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Bwhahahhahaha...wut?

Kessel doesn't bang fat pop singers.

One of the richest organizations in the league.

Idiotic/inept ownership.

Gets way more media coverage then they should.

Constantly fails and delights the rest of the league and fans.

Curufinwe

Reasons to keep Bryz and reasons to buy him out.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/203928871.html

Reasons to keep Bryzgalov

1. By having Bryzgalov and Mason, the goalies would push each other in an attempt to win the starting job.

2. A more-than-capable backup would be waiting in the wings in case of an injury to the starter.

3. Money. To buy out Bryzgalov, the Flyers would have to pay him $23 million - two-thirds of the remaining seven years ($34.5 million) on his contract.

4. Teams are allowed a total of two buyouts over the next two offseasons. If Mason wins the job and regains his rookie-of-the-year form from 2008-09, the Flyers can always buy out Bryzgalov next year. If Mason struggles, then Bryzgalov is an attractive option.

5. Keeping Bryzgalov would be a reward of sorts for his workhorse season. He is not the reason the Flyers have failed to make the playoffs.

Reasons to buy out Bryzgalov

1. The goalie's zany personality can be a distraction to his teammates. To restore order, buy him out and use his annual cap hit ($5.7 million) to sign/acquire a quality winger or puck-moving defenseman.

2. The buyout is expensive, but it can be spread over 14 years (twice the remaining length of his contract). If you average it out, it's $1.6 million per year.

3. Cutting ties with Bryzgalov would send a confidence-building message to Mason: You are our guy.

4. In his brief time here, Mason seems to have developed a quick rapport with goalie coach Jeff Reese, who has tweaked the goalie's game by moving him back in the crease to utilize his 6-foot-4 frame. Mason seems to exude confidence.

5. Even though he has already played five seasons, Mason is just 24. Goalies have been known to bloom later in their careers. (See Parent, Bernard). In addition, Mason is more athletic than Bryzgalov, better at steering a puck to a teammate to start a rush, and better at stopping breakaways.

Jayhawk

Anybody know if it's Rask or Khudobin in goal for the Bruins this afternoon? The game is in less than two hours, and I can't find any confirmation. My fantasy team's chances at the championship are on the line. :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Fantastic podcast.

Except you Quick, not one yell of Kessel's name and I feel your Kessel insults weren't up to snuff. I expect more next time, but you made me proud in the end.

Sanjuro

Idiotic/inept ownership.

Cowboys had a high level of success, capturing the love/hate of the entire United States. Leafs have some success...not since the 60s. Using that metric you are the Jets, maybe Lions.

Canada has hockey nuts, Texas has football nuts. It's just what they do. Hence revenue, media coverage.

Florida has about a 75% chance of getting the #2 pick. I just hope Philly is the team that wins the lottery and gets Seth Jones.
I'm hoping some team gets the 1st and takes Jones. Then it would be certain we'd pick MacKinnon. Even if this team goes 2-2 in the last 4 there is a 95% chance we'll be 30th in the league.

Alternatively if we get 1st pick and say Colorado gets #2 I would hope Tallon can get them to trade up with and get something nice in return.

Idiotic/inept ownership.

Our NFL equivalent is the NY Jets:

• No titles since the 60s
  • Seemingly inexhaustible fan base
  • Ridiculous media saturation
  • Terrible front office/coach selections over the past 9 years
  • Beautiful uniforms

I don't understand the Capitals 'turn around season' stuff. They were one win away from the ECF last year.

So no mention of Bryz's stats at all, just a nebulous its not his fault. Buy him out and let Mason plus who ever you get in the offseason battle it out for the job.

I can't imagine the Flyers will want to buy out Bryzgalov. Wouldn't be better to buyout Briere this off-season?

edit: Of course, the article does discuss this, but what do our Flyer fans here think?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh man, I just woke up and had a dream the Leafs clinched yesterday. Surreal, I even dreamed about posting about in here.

Curufinwe

Briere won't waive. By being bought out he gets $3.3 million over 4 years from the Flyers, plus the opportunity to sign a deal with any other team as free agent. If New Jersey signs him he probably wouldn't even have to move. The Islanders would be another strong possibility.

Briere won't waive. By being bought out he gets $3.3 million over 4 years from the Flyers, plus the opportunity to sign a deal with any other team as free agent. If New Jersey signs him he probably wouldn't even have to move. The Islanders would be another strong possibility.

But wouldnt he have to sign for a lot less coming off such a poor season?

Curufinwe

But wouldnt he have to sign for a lot less coming off such a poor season?

He's only due to make $5 million over the next two years, so to break even as an amnestied free agent he would only need to sign a two year deal at an AAV of $833K. Rinaldo money.

Even with how bad he's been, there are teams out there that will pay him $2m or more per season.

Montresor

This podcast is seriously awesome. Can I request Dastardly, Socreges, Acid, and a flames fan (either Zedge or one of the newer Flames fans). Would be cool to hear their perspective. You guys should include every fanbase, eventually, over the next couple of podcasts. There is some surprisingly good discussion in there. Puts me to shame hahaha.

Also, this is gonna sound weird, but I fucking love it when someone speaks fluent English in a non North American accent. Someone (Smiley) had that sort of accent in the podcast.

He's only due to make $5 million over the next two years, so to break even as an amnestied free agent he would only need to sign a two year deal at an AAV of $833K. Rinaldo money.

Even with how bad he's been, there are teams out there that will pay him $2m or more per season.

Oh I was looking at his cap hit which is $6.5m per year for the next 2 years. Yeah his salary is actually really low. Oh well just buy them both out.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This podcast is seriously awesome. Can I request Dastardly, Socreges, Acid, and a flames fan (either Zedge or one of the newer Flames fans). Would be cool to hear their perspective. You guys should include every fanbase, eventually, over the next couple of podcasts. There is some surprisingly good discussion in there. Puts me to shame hahaha.

Also, this is gonna sound weird, but I fucking love it when someone speaks fluent English in a non North American accent. Someone (Smiley) had that sort of accent in the podcast.

Yeah that was me :p Creep.
I kid, thanks lol

Also, those 4 are all west-coast fans. I think we wanna keep going with the equal east/west split.

Brinbe

Our NFL equivalent is the NY Jets:

• No titles since the 60s
  • Seemingly inexhaustible fan base
  • Ridiculous media saturation
  • Terrible front office/coach selections over the past 9 years
  • Beautiful uniforms

I don't understand the Capitals 'turn around season' stuff. They were one win away from the ECF last year.
9B4d1RV.jpg

32611-Mark-Sanchez-butt-fumble-Jets-TM5U.gif

Yep, we're the Jets, even down to the historically terrible drafting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom