• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2014 |OT| Waiting for the playoff thread...

moe-szyslak-suicide.png

iLLmAtlc

LOL GILLIS GONE! So, Canucks fans, any more arguments he was a 'good' GM with the shitty moves he made?

Socreges?

All I will say is that it's easy to just remember all of the bad moves he's made now (Cody*, Schneider trades, bad drafting) but if you lay out everything he did for the franchise there were a ton of positive moves too. Some examples are bringing in Malhotra, Tanev, Torres, Hamhuis, Higgins, Samuelsson (30 goal season), Lapierre.

So yeah it'd be fair to say overall he couldn't bring in any one huge piece to really help the team and his missteps were major (goalie situation, trades + crappy drafting record) which likely warranted his dismissal.

This move I think is about appeasing the public as much as it about the merits because the ticket sales have been plummeting.

zroid

Banned
So evidently fans chanting "Fire <staff member>" at a home game is the one surefire way to send the guy packing within days.

yyzjohn

Banned
They'd have a good young goalie in Schneider and could've traded Lu for more role players if Gillis had any sense. Why they didn't do this sooner is beyond me. Gillis' tinkering tinkered them out of a playoff spot.

And the Gillis legacy lives on cause if Lu retires before that contract is up, enjoy the cap penalties :)

Problem was he signed Luongo to that contract and didn't want to turn around and admit it was bad and he couldn't make a real hockey trade for him. He was talking a big game about all these offers he had when in reality teams were offering nothing and also wanting the Canucks to keep a portion of the salary. He was too proud to admit he fucked up so he stuck to his guns. Same thing that'll happen to Nonis with the Clarkson deal LOL

Quick

Banned
I haven't played Battlefield but if you're a COD fan, Ghosts is probably the worst game in the franchise. Map design is just awful

Played a bit of Ghosts singleplayer on PS3, and I wasn't a fan of how desaturated and dull everything looked. It definitely looks like a rough, scaled down version of the PS4 version,

I spent more time on COD multiplayer than Battlefield 3's, so the edge is on COD, but having a maximum of 64 people is pretty awesome.

I wonder if Torts will be canned as well. Expensive buyout for both if so.

Gillis did good things and bad things, but I guess missing the playoffs was the last straw.

Roflobear

Played a bit of Ghosts singleplayer on PS3, and I wasn't a fan of how desaturated and dull everything looked. It definitely looks like a rough, scaled down version of the PS4 version,

I spent more time on COD multiplayer than Battlefield 3's, so the edge is on COD, but having a maximum of 64 people is pretty awesome.

Yea I've played more COD multiplayer the past few years too, but you can tell the map design just isn't what it used to be. They tried to make them bigger and have more verticality but failed at doing it well. There's also way more campers and people are playing the game way more slowly, which kinda ruins the fast-paced nature of COD. I was really disappointed but was lucky to fall back on Titanfall. Not sure how the alternatives on PS4 fare

iLLmAtlc

I wonder if Torts will be canned as well. Expensive buyout for both if so.

Gillis did good things and bad things, but I guess missing the playoffs was the last straw.

If that story about Aquillini's threatening lawsuits to media for saying they had played roles in Torts' hiring is true then yeah he's almost certainly out of here.

Silexx

@TravisHeHateMe: When the Ottawa Sun says "changes are coming; I guarantee it," it's a matter of time. Because that's fed from up top

Day's just getting started it seems.

I know I'm late to the Spezza discussion, but I just want to say this: I'm fine with trading Spezza ONLY if you can get someone back that matches his offensive output. I'm talking a Center who can put up 70-80 points and it needs to be A player, not a couple of guys whose total productions add up to his. Then I'll be more than happy to see him out the door.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Looks like Montreal will be the best Canadian team for the next few years anyways. Back were we belong.

Merguson

Banned
Carlyle is gone, I think Nonis is safe for now. They'll let him hire his own guy before canning him.

I think Nonis has one last chance. Bring in his coach. If the team continues to struggle for next season, Nonis will be canned. He's an extension of the Burke regime anyways.

If what Dreger said about Nonis going to the board saying that the team will continue to struggle for 1-2 years is true, what does that say about the team itself?

There's only so many excuses you can make for the core of the team. It's not young anymore. The time to start competing is.. now. And if the struggles continue, keep in mind, three coaches handled the core of this team. (Assuming Nonis brings in a new coach).

Am I about to spend 150 on a pro-stock V9E Easton stick even though the durability seems to be worse but the feel and shot are really great and because it is a brand new stick for 100 bucks cheaper.... I hate these choices. Someone talk me out/in to it.

Edit: Looking at prostockhockeygear.com for those interested, I did some research into them and they have one stick that seems perfect and I loved my stealth sticks including the one I just broke, but those durability issues with no 30 day warranty... but I love the sticks.... DANG IT!

Red_Man

Not that I disagree, but... Edmonton has to get good eventually, right? They've got a good shot at another #1 this year.
I've given up on the notion of them being good. I'm going to assume they're going to ship off their #1 picks and restart the rebuild.

Acid08

Banned
Not that I disagree, but... Edmonton has to get good eventually, right? They've got a good shot at another #1 this year.
If the Oilers could play any kind of defense they'd probably be pretty good already. That really is where that entire team dies.

Socreges

Banned
Alright, alright, alright. Now Torts please. And bring in someone who knows a fucking "retool" is not an option.

LOL GILLIS GONE! So, Canucks fans, any more arguments he was a 'good' GM with the shitty moves he made?

Socreges?
Didn't understand why you'd mentioned me. So I 'Socreged' my own posts and found this post where I was quoting someone (you) who had no idea what he was talking about.

Soon after, the Schneider trade happened:

That is the kind of trade that Gillis should have made with Schneider. Chiarelli get every ounce of trade value out of Seguin whereas Gillis put himself in a difficult situation and let himself get reamed from behind.
Understand that just because I feel Gillis did make many good moves in the past, and is worth defending in some instances, does not mean that I think his tenure hadn't gone completely south or that his job was worth saving. Good riddance.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
All I will say is that it's easy to just remember all of the bad moves he's made now (Cody*, Schneider trades, bad drafting) but if you lay out everything he did for the franchise there were a ton of positive moves too. Some examples are bringing in Malhotra, Tanev, Torres, Hamhuis, Higgins, Samuelsson (30 goal season), Lapierre.

So yeah it'd be fair to say overall he couldn't bring in any one huge piece to really help the team and his missteps were major (goalie situation, trades + crappy drafting record) which likely warranted his dismissal.

This move I think is about appeasing the public as much as it about the merits because the ticket sales have been plummeting.
I'd argue Lu contract, Schneider, Booth, Torts, Ballard, and I'm sure there's more in missing. If you believe he did a good job as GM after all that, you are as bad as the blind Leaf fans. I will say again, his moves were incremental and lateral at best. He got to the playoffs and the finals on a core team Burke and Nonis built.
Problem was he signed Luongo to that contract and didn't want to turn around and admit it was bad and he couldn't make a real hockey trade for him. He was talking a big game about all these offers he had when in reality teams were offering nothing and also wanting the Canucks to keep a portion of the salary. He was too proud to admit he fucked up so he stuck to his guns. Same thing that'll happen to Nonis with the Clarkson deal LOL
Lol

Wait...shit... :(

calder

Looks like Montreal will be the best Canadian team for the next few years anyways. Back were we belong.

Hey, in two years, maybe even one, we'll be up in the rarefied air of playoff teams too!

Assuming we win the draft lottery like I've more or less convinced myself we will. And assuming we buy out/have whacked/plant drugs on at airport Pavelec in June.

Red_Man

Pretty wide range of responses to his firing on twitter, lots of people think it's justified and vice versa.

Hey, in two years, maybe even one, we'll be up in the rarefied air of playoff teams too!

Assuming we win the draft lottery like I've more or less convinced myself we will. And assuming we buy out/have whacked/plant drugs on at airport Pavelec in June.
This is true, Winnipeg has a lot of great pieces, goal tending has been a downfall for them though. Once they get Reimer they should be up there again. The entire Kane situation will be interesting to watch this off season.

Socreges

Banned
To be fair, it wasn't a bad contract. In many respects it was an excellent contract. Then the CBA changed everything. And so it became a horrible contract. "Hockey analysts" do occasionally acknowledge this, that the contract completely played within the rules at the time. The NHL did not have anything in place that prevented such contracts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but before CBA negotiations began no one anticipated that it would come with such a severe penalty. It really didn't seem like he was playing with fire.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
"+ His draft picks haven't developed yet, and he had one top 20 pick (Hodgson)
+ Trading garbage (including a Burke draft bust) for Ehrhoff
+ Bringing in Hamhuis
+ Signing Burrows to a 4yr/8m deal
+ Re-signing the Sedins to great deals
+ Bringing in Malhotra
+ Holding onto Schneider when people were offering little (he NEVER gets credit for this, as if being burdened with two great goaltenders is somehow a fuckup) Nonis tried to trade Schneider for fucking BRULE
+ Bringing in Higgins

- The Grabner/Ballard trade (AWFUL)
- The Hodgson/Kassian trade (I've never liked it - might eventually work out, but who knows)"

Here is your list again. I got no idea?
Hodgson gone
Ehroff gone
Malholtra isn't a positive.
And where is Schneider now?
I'd add - Tortorella's hiring

To be fair, it wasn't a bad contract. In many respects it was an excellent contract. Then the CBA changed everything. And so it became a horrible contract. "Hockey analysts" do occasionally acknowledge this, that the contract completely played within the rules at the time. The NHL did not have anything in place that prevented such contracts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but before CBA negotiations began no one anticipated that it would come with such a severe penalty. It really didn't seem like he was playing with fire.

Man what? Any contract that completely negates the possibility of being able to move a key player if the shit hits the fan is a bad contract. Shit happens in sports and in business. Mobility is a necessity. I understand that the CBA made it worse, but that contract was bad from the start.

Red_Man

Bruins would win 4-0 or 4-1.
You think so? I feel like the Habs & Flyers are the only teams that could beat the B's in the East. Even if they don't beat them, they should grind them out a bit anyways. Better Than Detroit.

iLLmAtlc

I'd argue Lu contract, Schneider, Booth, Torts, Ballard, and I'm sure there's more in missing. If you believe he did a good job as GM after all that, you are as bad as the blind Leaf fans. I will say again, his moves were incremental and lateral at best. He got to the playoffs and the finals on a core team Burke and Nonis built.

Lol

Wait...shit... :(

Thing about Lu contract was at the time it was signed those were popular, and he would have gotten the maximum no matter where he went. The thought process was simple - do you want Luongo or not because someone was going to give him the contract he wanted. So we could blame him for lacking the foresight of knowing the contract was unlikely to work out, but so many other good GMs signed similar contracts to keep their stars.

Booth hasn't worked out but the personnel for 25 year old big, fast, former 28 goal scorer was so one sided (Sameulsson + Sturm) that I'd probably do that trade again.

Ballard was clearly a bad trade but in terms of the angst re: Grabner let's not forget that Florida waived him too so it's really debatable whether the Nucks were wrong to give up on him at the time.

And I'm not saying that he did a good job necessarily, I just think it's easy to just remember all the missteps and if you look at the entire history there were clearly a ton of positive moves that gets overlooked these days. Near the end it got to the point where even good trades he made just got ignored (like when he got Diaz for Dale Weise).

yyzjohn

Banned

The cap hit was fine, the term was stupid for a guy in his 30s to be signed to a 12 year extension. Regardless of whether the deal was great on the old CBA, he saddled himself to a long term deal that brings all sorts of uncertainties. You can't just sign a deal like that and hope the new CBA will be as friendly as the old one. Try to mitigate the future issues by making the deal 4-5 years if possible. Vancouver was where Luongo wanted to be at the time, and they could have sold the "stay here to try and win a championship" angle. It was a shortsighted move at the time that ended up biting him in the ass so in effect, it was a bad deal.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I think Tortorella can acquit himself this year by pointing to the roster Gillis gave him to work with.
I don't think so. I'm actually surprised they missed the playoffs cause even on the strength of the Sedins alone.

Seems under Torts they all had off years. Only Kesler had more than 20 goals...

I wouldn't be surprised if he's next to go and I can't imagine what GM they'd bring in who wanted to keep him.

yyzjohn

Banned
Man what? Any contract that completely negates the possibility of being able to move a key player if the shit hits the fan is a bad contract. Shit happens in sports and in business. Mobility is a necessity. I understand that the CBA made it worse, but that contract was bad from the start.

You said it more succinctly than I did. LOL

Top Bottom